PDA

View Full Version : Grosh NOS vs. Wildwood 10 vs. K-line vs. Danocaster

SKYHIGH
11-27-2012, 02:11 PM
It's been awhile since we've seen "vs" thread, right? =)

Probably a long shot on finding many who have played all of these.
Either way, I'm curious to get some personal experiences from those who played couple or all of these S body guitars?

Grosh NOS Strat, Danocaster S, K-line Springfield, and Wildwood 10 CS Strat.

Matter of fact, let's make this a poll for sake of poll!:dude

Also, I'm only interested in getting info comparing these four. I know there are other great S-builders such as Lentz, Suhr, Tyler, etc etc.

suckamc
11-27-2012, 02:24 PM
One of each, please. Otherwise I'd want to try a given one versus another given one. Those are all great brands, though the Wildwood 10's price would be far more than enough reason to skip it.

xjojox
11-27-2012, 02:35 PM
IMHO at the boutique level it all comes down to subtle things that are a matter of personal taste. Small builders can get small batches of better wood than can be used by big builders. Putting together a strat ain't rocket science, it all comes down to good wood, good workmanship, and attention to detail in putting it all together. All of the guitars listed, as well as the alternates, come from builders that get nice wood, do good work, and make a fine product. You just need to decide which one speaks to you and why. I can't see that a poll will help with that, because when it comes to "boutique" strats, with rare exceptions, I don't think you can generalize that a Grosh is better than a Tyler is better than a Melancon is better than a Suhr is better than... etc. etc. Play some and decide what you want.

Rex Anderson
11-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Very important things for me are neck profile/frets and pickups. I have 3 Don Grosh guitars with the med/large round back (.850/.950). My favorite necks. Collings I-35 is right up there with them, but obviously not a Strat.

My Grosh Retro Classic with Brazilian rosewood is a few years old-I would love to compare it to the new NOS with the same neck and pickups.

I think you have to play them to see what feels and sounds best to YOU.

modeerf
11-27-2012, 04:01 PM
I have a danocaster strat and it's the best strat I've played or owned personally. (my taste of course). But I voted wildwood 10 because the poll says "Would love to own". never played one though but in theory I would love it.

rowdyyates
11-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Like the song says "ain't nothing like the real thing"

Guitar Fixation
11-27-2012, 08:04 PM
My K-line gets better everyday.Amazing guitar.

SKYHIGH
11-29-2012, 08:36 AM
IMHO at the boutique level it all comes down to subtle things that are a matter of personal taste. Small builders can get small batches of better wood than can be used by big builders. Putting together a strat ain't rocket science, it all comes down to good wood, good workmanship, and attention to detail in putting it all together. All of the guitars listed, as well as the alternates, come from builders that get nice wood, do good work, and make a fine product. You just need to decide which one speaks to you and why. I can't see that a poll will help with that, because when it comes to "boutique" strats, with rare exceptions, I don't think you can generalize that a Grosh is better than a Tyler is better than a Melancon is better than a Suhr is better than... etc. etc. Play some and decide what you want.

I agree. It's just too bad that more of these guitars can not be tested locally for most of us.

Mark Barna
11-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Wildwood 10s are $4,000. K-Lines are $2,000. That makes the question of which you want a problem. Well, take the most expensive.

A better poll would have players play each Strat and vote on the one they like best regardless of price. They don't get to keep the guitar they vote for.

Otherwise, this poll is pretty much useless.

SKYHIGH
11-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Wildwood 10s are $4,000. K-Lines are $2,000. That makes the question of which you want a problem. Well, take the most expensive.

A better poll would have players play each Strat and vote on the one they like best regardless of price. They don't get to keep the guitar they vote for.

Otherwise, this poll is pretty much useless.

I should have stated what you said. I guess I just thought that was given.
Let's just say if the price were no factor or all same!

MrDoty
11-30-2012, 01:29 AM
My grosh is an obscenely nice guitar, and a tone beast.. That's my opinion

Groberts
12-04-2012, 11:17 PM
My grosh is an obscenely nice guitar, and a tone beast.. That's my opinion

So is my Grosh NOS Retro custom. It's one of those instruments that inspires me to play more creatively than some other guitars. It's the resonance, the tone, playability. Incredible instrument !

Bluzeboy
12-04-2012, 11:34 PM
I have played most of those models... I'm not a strat guy.. have never found one I actually liked... except for the Grosh.. No idea why just turned out that way.

Groberts
12-05-2012, 06:56 PM
My Grosh NOS Retro Custom: My Grosh NOS Retro Custom also happens to be the one being demo'd on YouTube video on the Grosh / NOS Retro Custom page:

http://groshguitars.com/guitars/bolt-on-models/nos-retro/

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff170/gair1944/Guitars/GroshNOS2.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff170/gair1944/Guitars/NOSGroshtopdown.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff170/gair1944/Guitars/NOS1Full.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff170/gair1944/Guitars/GroshNOSback2.jpg

mudster
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
I play 2 Grosh EJ's and used to have a retro classic. I've now played 5 NOS Grosh's.
If you want the throaty Fender sound, go with the Wildwood. They have a more trad sound. The Grosh guitars are incredibly resonant and impeccably built, and they sound strat-like, but to my ear, they don't quite nail that middle-of-the-neck deep throaty sound that is essential to a strat. That doesn't mean I don't want one! They are amazing in every way. Perhaps it is the pups (I think the vintage Grosh set sounds better than the fat 60's set if you are after the classic tones), but somehow they sound more modern and not quite that classic Strat sound.
Either way, you won't go wrong.

SKYHIGH
12-11-2012, 10:01 PM
So has anyone played both Grosh NOS and Wildwood 10 ???

Groberts
12-18-2012, 01:31 AM
So has anyone played both Grosh NOS and Wildwood 10 ???

Can't put dn my Grosh NOS retro custom. Stunning touch sensitivity and tone. Superb.

SKYHIGH
12-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Can't put dn my Grosh NOS retro custom. Stunning touch sensitivity and tone. Superb.

You must update your sig.

What is the spec on your Grosh NOS?

bearbike137
12-18-2012, 09:06 AM
I prefer the Grosh Retro Classic to the NOS Retro, with Fralin pups, by the way. Much punchier.

Groberts
12-18-2012, 02:30 PM
You must update your sig.

What is the spec on your Grosh NOS?

Yeah, I know I need to update my sig. I have a bunch of different gear.

My NOS retro is Ash/Maple, fat 60's PU's, 54 neck carve. Caramel burst. Not sure what he calls the color. If you want to hear it, it is the guitar on the YouTube clip on the Grosh website, under the NOS Retro custom page.

mody
12-19-2012, 03:08 AM
Grosh all the way... unless you want your guitars molested by the great great Greg.K

:D