PDA

View Full Version : Joe Walsh - Guitar Center Sessions

chetz
12-07-2012, 08:35 PM
This may be old but I am watching this show now it is probably the best GC sessoins show I have seen/heard. He is really candid and open about his past issues.

Really cool when he said a Fender Tele into a Fender Champ is the Funk 49 sound. It is great to see a guy like that still killing it and still humble.

Zingeroo
12-07-2012, 08:39 PM
The first time I really played a tele, one of the licks I tried was the Funk 49 skank. And I knew that second, that was the guitar used on the song. It sounded and felt right.

chetz
12-07-2012, 09:40 PM
The first time I really played a tele, one of the licks I tried was the Funk 49 skank. And I knew that second, that was the guitar used on the song. It sounded and felt right.

He talked about the dynamics of the 8" speaker in the champ and that is what completed the tone. The underlying message is bigger isn't always better.

da-boogieman
12-08-2012, 08:31 AM
I caught the entire show and enjoyed the heck out of every minute. For a Joe Walsh fan (read me), it was great in every respect: equip., joe-tone, tunes. Thank for posting this boogie

evhtone
12-08-2012, 09:56 AM
I think it's the best GC Sessions episode so far. Amazing performance by an amazing guitar player. Great tone too!

I will also say that I think Nic Harcourt is very good at interviewing people.

BluesForDan
12-08-2012, 10:00 AM
where can you see this show?

evhtone
12-08-2012, 10:14 AM
It's on the "Audience" channel on DirectTV.

chetz
12-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Watching it again this morning and I find it ironic that he is playing Funk 49 on a strat (or strat style guitar).

Here's a great quote regarding Joe playing Hotel California. He leads into this by saying he basically mail in some songs but he really has to pay attention to this song. "I can play it shitty but I would rather play it right."

Anybody know what kind of guitar that red semi-hollowbody burst with the sort of flying D logo on the headstock is?

fataxeman
12-08-2012, 11:53 AM
I thought it interesting his comments on how digital recording killed the record stores and killed the ability of the artists/bands to make a living.

He also lamented the fact that fewer and fewer people are actually in a room playing together when they record an album. He said a couple of times that "you have music but no ones playing on it" referring to people recording their parts at a different time or even on a different continent. He said that the "mojo" and the "magic" is gone.

It was easily the best Guitar Center Sessions episode I've seen and overall preferred it to the Live At Darryl's House episode.

fjblair
12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
My favorite GC session. It was just great.

evhtone
12-08-2012, 12:16 PM
He's such an interesting guy...when he speaks I WANT to listen to what he's saying. A lot of musicians it becomes the opposite with me.

He still sounds great and plays great.

jo2012
12-08-2012, 02:31 PM
I performed with one of his backup singers the other night. Lois Mahalia.

TrickinSid
12-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Anybody know what kind of guitar that red semi-hollowbody burst with the sort of flying D logo on the headstock is?

http://www.duesenbergusa.com/

Very nice guitars.

I watched it today...I would agree it's one of the best I've seen.

He seems like a great guy and so talented.

evhtone
12-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I performed with one of his backup singers the other night. Lois Mahalia.

The adorable one in the middle?!?!?!

Arc Angel
12-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Is this available for online viewing anywhere?

VCuomo
12-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Is this available for online viewing anywhere?The full episode does not appear to be, but some of the individual songs are. Here's a link to songs from various episodes - the JW tunes are near the bottom.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF9E40C1EA405DC05

Arc Angel
12-08-2012, 07:56 PM
The full episode does not appear to be, but some of the individual songs are. Here's a link to songs from various episodes - the JW tunes are near the bottom.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF9E40C1EA405DC05

Thanks!

Peeb
12-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Joe is amazing

Dr. Tweedbucket
12-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Analog man! That was great! First time I heard it.... I can really relate to Joe and his humor :)

teleman1
12-09-2012, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=fataxeman;14422815]I thought it interesting his comments on how digital recording killed the record stores and killed the ability of the artists/bands to make a living.

Young people,under 40 just don't get this and I don't know why. Listen to a g&d dam record!!!!!!!! Digital misses something and lacks warmth. You won't know ule3ss you investigate. It really makes the whole music scene steps below what it should be sonically. If you don't agree, your not experienced, have you ever been experienced> I have.

Most of your fav musicians understand and agree. Neil Young, McCartney, Ry Cooder. The list goes on. If I listen to cassettes recorded from vinyl,(yeah even in that medium), I can tell its more enjoyable to listen to,even with the hiss and recorded record ride and pops and clicks.

Sub City
12-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Saw Joe with Clapton back in 1974; He's playing AND singing as well as ever; Pete Townsend said Joe was America's best rock guitar player. Joe Walsh is one of our national treasures!

louderock
12-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Watching it now. Vox AC 30 and pedals. Wonder what the pedals are??

Tread
12-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Watching it now. Vox AC 30 and pedals. Wonder what the pedals are??

:munchDitto ..... pretty KooL !

Bob Womack
12-09-2012, 10:39 AM
I think the distortion was an OCD.

Bob

jo2012
12-09-2012, 12:02 PM

I think so. She's black... Haha

Guitar55
12-09-2012, 01:11 PM
What the heck is he using to change the pitch at 2:10?

U1T8jia3USQ

67blackcherry
12-09-2012, 07:42 PM
OK....not bragging, just extremely proud....that's my good friend Leslie singing backups on the left side (of the singers) next to Joe! She's amazing, sweet, down to earth and I hope this opens many bigger doors for her.

And....Joe's friggin' awesome! Just the simple fact that he's still alive is a miracle in and of itself and he still sounds great, plays great, and has an awesome sense of humour.

Glowing Tubes
12-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Love Joe, a guitar treasure.

chetz
12-10-2012, 01:58 AM
Might be called fusion but my favorite is still Chic Corea - Return For Ever

I had to burn 6 hours of creduts to get my degree so I took two classes in jazz music from an incredidble prof with a monster jazz collection at the Univesity of Kansas. I learned a lot about jazz and its origins.

chetz
12-10-2012, 02:01 AM
http://www.duesenbergusa.com/

Very nice guitars.

I watched it today...I would agree it's one of the best I've seen.

He seems like a great guy and so talented.

Thanks for the link.......I think I need more than 7 guitars!!!!

Craig Walker
12-10-2012, 08:45 AM
What the heck is he using to change the pitch at 2:10?

Something like the Digitech Whammy.

Satriani uses it a bunch.

McStrats
12-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Joe is a national treasure.

crifasta
12-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Joe Walsh didn't join the Eagles. The Eagles joined Joe Walsh.

67blackcherry
12-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Joe Walsh didn't join the Eagles. The Eagles joined Joe Walsh.

Yes! :cool:

kena48
12-16-2012, 04:53 PM
I justr saw this interview and really enjoyed whayt he had to say and his performance.

VCuomo
12-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Here's a link to the full episode: http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/currentep.html?ep_id=75

NyteOwl
12-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Here's a link to the full episode: http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/currentep.html?ep_id=75
Live From Daryl's House and Guitar Center Sessions are two entirely different shows, and there is yet another Joe Walsh show that's been airing recently. He's playing pretty much the same material on all three, and if I recall correctly, one was on the Audience Network, another on the Ovation Network and the third is on Palladia. I watched and enjoyed all three. Good stuff!!

Downyocean
12-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Watching it again this morning and I find it ironic that he is playing Funk 49 on a strat (or strat style guitar).

Here's a great quote regarding Joe playing Hotel California. He leads into this by saying he basically mail in some songs but he really has to pay attention to this song. "I can play it shitty but I would rather play it right."

I'm not a guitar player but I did see the show and I like Joe Walsh. After some internet searching the guitars with the flying D on the headstock are Duesenberg's. There's a picture of Joe Walsh holding one on their website.

bullfrogblues
12-18-2012, 08:04 AM
I have always been a huge JW fan! It seems like he is really getting the recognition he deserves with all the shows with him lately. Daryl's House, CMT, GC and I'm probably leaving something out. And a new album!
It was nice to finally know what guitar and amp he used on Funk 49. And if that was the case, why does he never use a tele on that song anymore? Just thinking out loud.

Calaban
12-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Love Joe.

I do think its interesting though that many here are lamenting the industry switch to digital recording while, ironically, Joe's new album Analog Man was recorded directly to Pro Tools (or some equivalent - I don't remember) and he used a modelling amp for much of it.

I'll see if I can dig up the interview with Joe where I read this. It was a few months ago.

I'd love to see the GC session but alas I have no cable TV.

I saw Joe live a few months back. Great show, great tones. Nothing but Boss pedals on the floor.

It's Time!
01-05-2013, 04:04 PM
If Joe hadn't sold that Les Paul to Jimmy Page, Zeppelin would have been the same.

So Joe likes Vox AC30's.

Peeb
01-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Love Joe.

I do think its interesting though that many here are lamenting the industry switch to digital recording while, ironically, Joe's new album Analog Man was recorded directly to Pro Tools (or some equivalent - I don't remember) and he used a modelling amp for much of it.

I'll see if I can dig up the interview with Joe where I read this. It was a few months ago.

I'd love to see the GC session but alas I have no cable TV.

I saw Joe live a few months back. Great show, great tones. Nothing but Boss pedals on the floor.
Link:
http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-joe-walsh-discusses-his-career-gear-and-new-album-analog-man?page=0,1

richopp
01-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Her name is Lois Mahalia and she has been singing for a while.

http://loismahalia.com/ (http://loismahalia.com/)

This site tells all about her and mentions her new album and her work with Joe.

Joe is a personal hero of mine and I agree that the Eagles joined him, as a previous poster stated. Unfortunately, I read Felder's book and have a new perspective on the Eagles now. I still love their music (Eagles) and understand Joe's comments on Hotel California. However, Felder's book does not present Mr. Henley or Mr. Frey in a very good light. Evidently, even Joe was a "hired player" in "their" band. Whatever. Joe did state that egos were a huge part of any band--see Beatles, for example--and I have been in several bands as have many of you. We know that this is true for whatever reason. Joe said they were all "Type A" people, and that is probably true about Frey and Henley.

However, in spite of it all, its only rock'n'roll. While it was a nice sentiment in the film School of Rock, Jack Black's statement that a good rock show can change the world is a bit of hyperbole. After reading the Felder book, one wonders how a few bars of music could have led these people to behave like they did. I guess when money gets involved all bets are off. And let's not get into Mr. Azoff, who clearly will need a few hearses with luggage racks to carry cash to his funeral (apologies to George Strait).

Anyway, just my 2cents. I still love Joe and all his work. Eagles music is still exceptional. Lois is indeed very cute and has a good voice. But, among other problems, there are many children starving here in the USA tonight. Perspective is important.

DavidKris
09-14-2013, 09:03 PM

Ha! That's my wife you're talking about <smile>.

I've been fortunate to get to hang backstage and such with Joe, and he's really a nice guy. His solo band all love working with him and are looking forward to him getting back out on the road.