PDA

View Full Version : GAS for Giggity! How do you use yours??

Fender074
12-13-2012, 07:10 AM
After an hour or so of watching Giggity videos I felt the GAS begin to build!!
The way you can take a sparkly clean Fender amp and just by using the Giggity give it a early Marshall type sound has sold me! I'll be mainly using this with a Fuzz Face as my band plays a lot of Hendrix and EJ Covers.
Does anyone know if I can use this in the effects loop like I do my EQ pedal to adjust the overall sound of the amp or is is strictly for going in front of the amp?

Any responses will be appreciated!
Post Away :aok :banana

ferrell
12-13-2012, 07:52 AM
ive used one for about 5 months now and i keep thinkin i dont need it and im going to sell it,but the longer it stays around the more i realize it can be used a variety of ways.ive found its great for slightly shaping tone and a boost at the same time for both clean and dirty settings.kinda like a ep booster but with way more tweakability.i play alot of different rooms here in nashville and the giggity is PERFECT for small stages where you have to keep your volume way down.it helps fill out the tone your amp loses from not being able to push the tubes.and you can tweak it to add highs or lows depending on different venues.its just really subtle things it can enhance but it does make a difference.after months of goin back and forth on it,its now a vital part of my board

thekeefus
12-13-2012, 08:09 AM
I use it as a preamp before delays that is always on. I'm probably using it as a glorified eq but I love it. I have used it as a low gain dirt pedal but missed what it does as an always on shaper. If they had one with a footswitch-able loudness knob I'd be a happy man....leave it on...and switch on the grit when I want it. I think I use it for what many people use an ep booster for...to color everything a bit. It does a good job of dialing out some of my blues junior's innate boxiness.

DeVilleDude
12-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Giggity onboard for 6 months , and I keep finding more uses for it all the time. Bought it to fatten my tele bridge p/u, but it's also great for:
-Marshall-izing my Fender style amps
-making my Carvin V16 112 sound 'bigger', like my DeVille, when 60 watts is too much
-fine-tuning the bottom end when using humbuckers
-adjusting to different rooms
and the latest great thing it does for me....taking my Pathfinder 15R from good to great! High praises for the Giggity.

jms6668
12-13-2012, 08:29 AM
I use it as a preamp before delays that is always on. I'm probably using it as a glorified eq but I love it. I have used it as a low gain dirt pedal but missed what it does as an always on shaper. If they had one with a footswitch-able loudness knob I'd be a happy man....leave it on...and switch on the grit when I want it. I think I use it for what many people use an ep booster for...to color everything a bit. It does a good job of dialing out some of my blues junior's innate boxiness.
I used mine in a similar fashion. I sold it but I need another one. Too useful a tool when you are subjected to backlines like I am.

If I had one issue (of course, this is TGP): I would love it if it had more headroom. I used to run my big Carl Martin PT into it and it would compress it too much. I checked with Voodoo Lab about running it at 18v, but they said it was no-go. I wish I still had it as I am now using the smaller PT and maybe it wouldn't have the same effect (although it is less necessary with the new PT than with the older one. But the Giggity could help me just fine tune it some more). It could instantly get that EJ thing happening though with that compression, but I want a more open rawness from raising the headroom.

Great tool, and it is on my X-Mas list. Yes, another "I sold it, and now I regret it" story.

vangit
12-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Where in the effects chain are you guys using it? First.....last.......in the middle before delay....????

tubetonez
12-13-2012, 11:01 AM
I like it after dirt, works great with fuzz and also to transform dirty rhythm tone to lead tone.

thekeefus
12-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Mine is after dirt before modulation/delay/verb. The "loudness" knob on mine is almost always all the way off and the volume is set pretty close to unity. I use it for color and eq.

harpinon
12-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Solo boost. Maybe I add a bit more grit. Works very well for that.

dhdfoster
12-13-2012, 12:49 PM
I've been really interested in this pedal for direct recording. I've never used one, but it seems like a Giggity with a Carl Martin Rock Bug or a Tech 21 Character pedal, or something similar with cab or amp emulation, would be a great analog solution for getting good direct sounds.

Dumdeediddle
12-13-2012, 12:54 PM
In conjunction with my Sparkle Drive Mod , just like the Voodoo Labs Guys did in their Vids. I liked the sound in the Vids and liked the result.

Fulldrive-1
12-13-2012, 12:57 PM
What is a Giggity? What does it do?

Fender074
12-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the response guys, sounds like it does exactly what I want it too, I Cant f**king wait to get my hands on one! :D Does anyone know if its Effects Loop friendly like a EQ pedal can be used? :)

VA_siCkBoy
12-13-2012, 01:45 PM
What is a Giggity? What does it do?

Tfi8fT9oHkQ

aliensporebomb
12-28-2012, 10:43 PM
My wife surprised me with one for christmas - boy that was a nice surprise!

I've used it with a strat into my mesa boogie studio preamp giving it a kind of marshally girth.

I used it on clean tones to add clarity to fingerpicked tones without shrillness.

I tried it after a digital processor to see what would happen and it warmed it up giving it an analog vibe which was a big surprise. I imagine it would make solid state amps more fun to play.

I used a modeled fuzz face in a processor thru it into the studio preamp set mostly clean with a little verb and goosed it a bit and it was like a "instant Eric Johnson vibe" but enough of my own sound not to totally be ridiculous in aping that sound identically.

I can think of a bunch of things: add some punch to an underpowered guitar, add clarity to a bass heavy guitar, add bottom and mids to a trebly sounding instrument among others.

I also found that if I was playing with a lot of effects you can make it so the guitar isn't totally lost.

It's a weird amalgamation of a compressor, very guitar specific equalizer and booster. I've never tried anything quite like it before. It can be additive and subtractive.

You can do stuff like "I like this tone except I wish there was LESS of this" and you can do it. Or "I like this tone but wish there was MORE of that" and you can do it.

It's crazy. But I also could see how some people wouldn't quite know what to do with it or might wonder what the fuss is about. It can be subtle.

I'm still learning it but so far I'm having a lot of fun and it makes me want to play more so that's a good side effect.

wingwalker
12-28-2012, 10:51 PM
I have to try one of these but they just don't show up often used and I hate buying new pedals!

CyberFerret
12-28-2012, 11:06 PM
I use mine when playing through my Mesa Boogie MkIIC.

Really simple chain - basically Guitar -> Giggity -> El Capistan -> Amp. In fact, here is the small pedalboard I am using:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8201/8194391723_0d7c7103da_c.jpg

I use either the Giggity or the Hot Buttered Scotch on one at a time.

Basically, I set my MkIIC on a fairly clean setting. I use the Giggity to kick the amp into that signature Boogie MkII creamy drive tone - without having to turn the amp up and bust my eardrums.

The Giggity also gives my sound a more 'three dimensional' quality about it. Hard to describe, but it isn't a 'flat' sounding overdriven tone. It feels like it has more depth to it, and that inspires me to play better.

ChicagoJoe
12-29-2012, 09:07 AM
I'm always watching for them used and they haven't showed up much used. The videos James posts are very convincing. Some folks wish there was a tad bit more gain available with it, but it is still one of the most versatile and useful pedals out there.

vangit
12-29-2012, 09:26 AM
I have a brand new on available if anyone is interested. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=14557176#post14557176

mowatsmith
12-29-2012, 10:58 AM
For stacking and as a standalone OD. Love mine.

Dn8xKKFRZ90

talpa
01-12-2013, 11:44 AM
had mine a few months now, based on the JS vids and my buying into the EJFF thing (got 2 of them lol) - man does the Giggity/EJFF combo work as advertised...ON a large Marshall plexi circuit. VOLUME guys, all classic killer pedals need to blow air to give up the goods.

ended up pairing up the Giggity with my vintage Roger Mayer Axis fuzz ('80s model) and it KILLS, completely added that fat boost and bottom, more like it discovered what is already there and presents it in full bloom & color...love my Giggity.

p.s. my two EJFF's do sound different, one has the great fat-bottomy grain thing, the other has a higher-endy grain thing...BOTH are the appropriate tool for a given rig. thought the higher-endy one would be a bust, but not true with heavier toned Gibsons, a great match. the bottomy one pairs with my Strats as u would predict. but the RM Axis bests all my pedals ex. my old Fulltone '69.

The Villano Dude
04-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Does anyone use the Giggity before dirt?

guitargod2u
04-25-2013, 02:16 AM
yes i have 2 one placed mostly before alot of my dirt and one at the end of the chain. I run them both fairly clean first one on 2nd from sun setting and last one on 2nd from moon setting. I try to set them up so that it gives me a nice full sound with both on.

edwardz
05-26-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm looking at buying one to run between my board and amp, although I'm sure I'll want to experiment with other placements. I like what I've read and seen on YouTube. Seems like it's a more versatile tone shaper than the other EQs and boosters on the market.

kingsxman
05-27-2013, 10:49 AM
I've been considering one mainly as an always on kind of effect. I have a "sonic stomp" currently that I am going to run inline at the end of my effects into my Fuchs as an "eq" type of pedal. It adds a bit more clarity and tightens the lows a bit. I have been wondering if the Giggity would do similar things but maybe a bit better.