PDA

View Full Version : NPD: Mojo Hand Iron Bell

amdowell
12-20-2012, 06:11 PM
A ray of sunshine shone on this rainy Michigan day. My Iron Bell arrived today.

I only had an hour with it, but my first impression is that it is smooth and creamy. Great sustain even at lower gain settings and the tone and colour knobs seem to IMO work together nicely. It's definitely a big muff haha. I've never been a big fuzz Guy but the demos really do a good job representing it.

So far so good. It stacks well with my Timmy and it sounds absolutely incredible with a custom booster I have. I'll check back in with pics and some more in depth details.

b_rad
12-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Awesome. Glad that you like it.

amdowell
01-02-2013, 05:46 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a160/WannaBWeiland/IMG_20121231_135515_zps990491e6.jpg

So far so good. I've never really been a fuzz guy but the Iron Bell seems to do the trick for me. It's super smooth and I'm still floored by it's sustain. Lots of tones to be had from it--Sabbath stuff, black keys, QOTSA,Gilmour, and Smashing Pumpkins all easily attainable. It also has some potential as an overdrive, but let's not kid ourselves it's pretty much always going to be at full tilt with some delay for ridiculous solos.

For reference, I have tried some old muffs, owned a BAT Pharaoh, and tried quite a few other boutique flavor of the week fuzzes and I can honestly say this is a damn cool fuzz.

mad dog
01-02-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm jonesing for this pedal, and I dont' even much care for fuzz.
MD

BLKBRD
01-02-2013, 08:04 PM
i MIGHT be interested in another fuzz soon. is it anything like the pharaoh? what are the differences?

lefort_1
01-02-2013, 08:38 PM
bwaaahahahahahahaaha Brad, you silly grammarian you!!!

David Gilmour’s lead guitar tone throughout the years has consistently been as varied as it is sought after.

I never did make it up to 6 MojoHand pedals in '012
...might have to think about this one.

amdowell
01-02-2013, 09:06 PM
i MIGHT be interested in another fuzz soon. is it anything like the pharaoh? what are the differences?

I feel the Iron Bell is overall smoother and also has more gain. The Pharaoh IMO felt stiff and never really impressed me fully. I think the whole sweep of the tone knob on the Iron Bell is more versatile than any of the switch selections on the Pharaoh. I don't mean to put the Pharaoh down so harshly, I just didn't get WOW'd.

MadFrank
01-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Nice. Mojo have been ckranking out some really good stuff for a while now.

BLKBRD
01-02-2013, 09:45 PM
I feel the Iron Bell is overall smoother and also has more gain. The Pharaoh IMO felt stiff and never really impressed me fully. I think the whole sweep of the tone knob on the Iron Bell is more versatile than any of the switch selections on the Pharaoh. I don't mean to put the Pharaoh down so harshly, I just didn't get WOW'd.
i think i get what you're saying. i was kinda thinking about the colossus, but that might be a little redundant since i already have an eqd hoof. but based on what you said, the iron bell might be one to seriously consider. thanks for the info!

amphead777
01-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Definitely my next purchase. Sounds amazing!!

insubordination
01-03-2013, 10:41 AM
How does it clean up with the volume knob on the guitar?

jcat5503
01-03-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm curious about the cleanup as well..

Zeon45
01-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Mojo Hand has really stepped up recently. I recently aquired the Iron Bell and Crosstown. Both are awesome.

jcat5503
01-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Zeon45: which do you prefer and why?

amdowell
01-03-2013, 05:10 PM
How does it clean up with the volume knob on the guitar?

Cleans up nicely with my Les Paul into an AC30. I feel that's where it's a little more characteristic of an overdrive.

jcat5503
01-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Wanna say anything else about it? I'm fighting GAS.. I love my lunar module though

MikeTz
01-17-2013, 11:23 AM
I love my lunar module though
Two different pedals really. The Lunar Module's speciality is to do DSOTM fuzz face sound, but is much more versatile that. Although, one thing it can't do specifically is a Muff sound, due to how the circuit wasn't designed to do that.

While the Iron Bell is something like a RAT crossed between some sort of Muff because it really isn't based on any specific kind of Muff. That again makes this pedal versatile...

So really I'd say try out the Iron Bell and keep the Lunar Module, you'll be in versatile heaven :)

P.S. check out the Blackout Effectors Musket, really versatile as well.

Zeon45
01-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Zeon45: which do you prefer and why?

I really like both of them but the Crosstown gets more use simply because it cleans up better.

GuitarToma
01-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Mojo Hand made a limited run of Iron Bells with a silver silk screen over a black case. I just got mine - I love this pedal! It's so gainy and fat! Love!!!

mwvm
01-17-2013, 01:36 PM
i put mine into a mooer hustle drive (yeah mooer!) and it gave it a real bite throatiness....

i love the sustain aswell, just goes on, and on, and etc

not enough snarl though i guess that's for another version muff.

the only thing is the neck up (on my strat) produces a rather muddy tone

Bryan29
01-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Keep this up! I'm on the fence about this pedal and I only need a slight push.

FLYING V 83
01-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Tone Raisin says "Go for it!"

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/FLYINGV83/ToneRaisin-1.jpg

steelerboy329
01-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Keep this up! I'm on the fence about this pedal and I only need a slight push.

Same here. My GAS is starting to flair up a little.

b_rad
01-18-2013, 06:03 AM

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/FLYINGV83/ToneRaisin-1.jpg

Love it. :)

Bryan29
01-18-2013, 09:58 AM

How can I refuse a face like that?

skunx
01-18-2013, 11:00 PM
How does this compare to the skreddy top fuel?

Bryan29
01-21-2013, 04:57 PM
There need to before YouTube videos of this pedal.

Teleman76
01-26-2013, 11:38 AM
:aok It is agood pedal indeed. Covers a lot of territory to. My wife saw it on my board & said, "How cool a pink pedal!". " is that suppose to be a Pink Floyd pedal?". I said a who pedal?!:dunno

Starsailor
01-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Am I crazy for wanting to part with my Skreddy Pink Flesh and pick one these or a Musket?

swampstomper
01-26-2013, 04:08 PM
I've had the Iron Bell for a few weeks and it's great. Mojo Hand FX did an outstanding job here. Tons of gain available, versatile, low noise. I have no complaints. I'm finding all kinds of really cool tones just rolling back the guitar volume. It's a work of genius. Not being much of a fuzz guy it opened up a whole new world for me.

cj_wattage
01-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Just got one in trade. Sounds great, but then again I love Muffs. :)

Build quality is top-notch. No perf-board or goop nonsense here. I don't say this often, but I think the asking price is on par with the build quality.

Fun note: the knob is called "Gain", but the silkscreen on the PCB says "Sustain". :)

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/reverse_engineer/Iron-Bell-02_zps4233146d.jpg

mwvm
01-27-2013, 01:46 AM
mine is also great - what muff gives more snarl though?

cosmodog
01-27-2013, 01:55 AM
^^^
Mojo Hand's own Colossus is full of snarl!

mwvm
01-27-2013, 02:44 AM
^^^
Mojo Hand's own Colossus is full of snarl!

i dunno. youtube vids don't back this up.

sounds like a low pass filter is scrapped across it.

FromTheBassMent
02-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Interesting how many "I'm not a fuzz guy" posts in this thread. Cuz that's me! I do not care at all for buzzy, splattery fuzz effects. I was about one paycheck away from ordering a Colossus from Mojo Hand when they dropped the Iron Bell. I am so glad I waited!

You can get some aggressive fuzz tones out of this thing if you crank the tone and tweak the color knob. But I think its strength is smooth, soaring lead tones with ridiculous gobs of sustain. It's much more expressive and responsive than any fuzz I've ever used (and I had many Muffs back in the day... the ones people pay big bucks for now). This is a "Muff-like" circuit in its smooth creaminess. But it's much more open sounding, less pinched than I usually hear with Muffs, more responsive to guitar volume settings and especially to picking dynamics. It's a very PRETTY sounding pedal. If you want sputtering fuzz mayhem, move along. This pedal is not about in-yo-face aggression. But I am totally grooving on this thing with the tone around 10:00 and the gain around 2:00. It really sings, with a chime-like quality that I've never heard from a fuzz pedal before.

10 out of 10 on this one for me!

skunx
02-07-2013, 11:31 PM

Anyone try both of these yet that can compare?

sunken.anchor
02-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Anyone try both of these yet that can compare?
It has been a long time since I played a Top Fuel (probably 4 years at least). I don't have an Iron Bell, but I tried one out at NAMM. I seem to remember the Top Fuel having slightly less gain on tap and being warmer too. It also had less sizzle on the top end, which I really need in a fuzz pedal. The Top Fuel was still really cool, and was by no means a bad sounding pedal, but I seem to remember that it sounded more like a fuzzy distortion, where the Iron Bell sounds more like a distortiony fuzz. I ultimately sold the Top Fuel because while it nailed the "soar," it did not have enough "sizzle" for me.

skunx
02-09-2013, 06:39 PM
It has been a long time since I played a Top Fuel (probably 4 years at least). I don't have an Iron Bell, but I tried one out at NAMM. I seem to remember the Top Fuel having slightly less gain on tap and being warmer too. It also had less sizzle on the top end, which I really need in a fuzz pedal. The Top Fuel was still really cool, and was by no means a bad sounding pedal, but I seem to remember that it sounded more like a fuzzy distortion, where the Iron Bell sounds more like a distortiony fuzz. I ultimately sold the Top Fuel because while it nailed the "soar," it did not have enough "sizzle" for me.

Thank you. Have a top fuel and really like the smoothe lead tones but not so much for rhythms. Was wondering if there would be too much overlap between these two.

How does the iron bell work for big wall of sound type chord work?

b_rad
02-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Just got one in trade. Sounds great, but then again I love Muffs. :)

Build quality is top-notch. No perf-board or goop nonsense here. I don't say this often, but I think the asking price is on par with the build quality.

Fun note: the knob is called "Gain", but the silkscreen on the PCB says "Sustain". :)

Thanks for the kind words. Glad that you're enjoying the pedal. :)

cosmodog
02-11-2013, 10:43 PM
i dunno. youtube vids don't back this up.

sounds like a low pass filter is scrapped across it.

huh. maybe you and i have different definitions of "snarl" then... cuz to me the Colossus is full of growl, bite, and ripping, thick tone with an edge to it.

cj_wattage
02-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the kind words.
My pleasure.

I have spent a lot of time looking at pedal guts, and most of what people call "boutique" I would call a steaming pile. There are a few brands/builders that do great, high-quality work, and Mojo Hand is one of them.

:aok

(Neat trick on the Contour control, by the way. I wouldn't have thought to do that.)

SirGilmour
02-11-2013, 11:36 PM
My iron bell should be here Wednesday!! Yess

Powder Jellyfish
02-12-2013, 01:58 AM
I really have to try one of their pedals. If I could get rid of my apprehension concerning international deliveries, I would try one of their fuzzes for sure.

atson67
02-12-2013, 02:07 AM
From what I understand the iron bell is a 'muff into tube driver' kind of thing rather than a straight big muff. Guilmour often played his muff into either a tube driver or a color boost, so that tone might have been targeted.
Maybe b-rad could chime in on this ...?

How does the iron bell compare to the colossus btw ?

cosmodog
02-12-2013, 11:39 PM
How does the iron bell compare to the colossus btw ?

Bjorn has a review and compares the two (a little) here: http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=4144

Would love to hear Brad's thoughts on the matter, tho!

atson67
02-13-2013, 05:50 AM
Bjorn has a review and compares the two (a little) here: http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=4144

Would love to hear Brad's thoughts on the matter, tho!
Thx for the link.

Yonderwanderer
02-13-2013, 08:05 AM
This pedal sounds incredible. Can't wait, I've got an Iron Bell and a Crosstown Fuzz on their way to me.

sunken.anchor
02-13-2013, 10:22 AM
This pedal sounds incredible. Can't wait, I've got an Iron Bell and a Crosstown Fuzz on their way to me.
These are the two that really impressed me at NAMM. I liked the Crosstown way more than I thought I would.

jdcalsosprach
02-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Anyone compare this to a Skreddy P19? Can't seem to find any A/B comparisons online.

eSS eSS
06-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Anyone have a Manual or this pedal?

Powder Jellyfish
06-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Hello, can someone tell me how it sounds on a clean channel from a 6v6-equipped amp ?
Thanks !

BadMonkey007
06-16-2013, 03:19 PM
on my tweaker 6V6 sound f-word good
i hate muff the iron to me not sound like a muff
something very unique smooth and creamy
iron + pedal echo :love:

Void_pointer
06-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Damn you gear page, I just ordered one.

la noise
06-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Interesting how many "I'm not a fuzz guy" posts in this thread. Cuz that's me! I do not care at all for buzzy, splattery fuzz effects. I was about one paycheck away from ordering a Colossus from Mojo Hand when they dropped the Iron Bell. I am so glad I waited!

You can get some aggressive fuzz tones out of this thing if you crank the tone and tweak the color knob. But I think its strength is smooth, soaring lead tones with ridiculous gobs of sustain. It's much more expressive and responsive than any fuzz I've ever used (and I had many Muffs back in the day... the ones people pay big bucks for now). This is a "Muff-like" circuit in its smooth creaminess. But it's much more open sounding, less pinched than I usually hear with Muffs, more responsive to guitar volume settings and especially to picking dynamics. It's a very PRETTY sounding pedal. If you want sputtering fuzz mayhem, move along. This pedal is not about in-yo-face aggression. But I am totally grooving on this thing with the tone around 10:00 and the gain around 2:00. It really sings, with a chime-like quality that I've never heard from a fuzz pedal before.

10 out of 10 on this one for me!

:agree

Great description. Right on the money, according to my experience with the Iron Bell. I love mine enough that it has unseated the Colossus. I like the more open-sound of the Iron Bell. It is not as compressed sounding as the Colossus. It gets as wicked as I need to now days.

la noise
06-16-2013, 06:10 PM
There's a silver one in the Emporium for $135. Not affiliated with the seller. :aok

clamboy
06-23-2013, 03:39 PM
I just picked up an Iron Bell and love it. Everybody's tastes are different and pedals are always very rig dependent, but this pedal was the high gain dirt box I've always been looking for. The Gilmour thing is a nice plus, but that's not why I bought the pedal. I also have a very respected, and considerably more expensive, Germanium fuzz face clone that I have lost interest in now that the Iron Bell has arrived. If you are looking for a fuzz in the silicon/muff camp that has perhaps a more civilized and graceful sound than the "stock" muff circuit, you should check out his pedal. It's also great with a phaser right before it.

sikoniko
06-23-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm looking for a Muff. I'm torn between the following:

SUF Rams Head
Skreddy P19
Arc Effects Big Green
and this pedal.

The problem with those other pedals is there is a wait and this pedal can be ordered and shipped immediately. Anyone able to share some thoughts?

la noise
06-23-2013, 06:14 PM
What clamboy shared above is reflective of my own experience. Having owned Skreddy, SUF, Wren and Cuff, and others I don't believe the Iron Bell needs to take a back seat to any of those. It is my current fave Muff-type pedal.... precisely because it is not trapped in being ONLY a Muff with the limitations of a Muff. It is more open than a Muff (less compressed), and the clarity is exceptional.

BluesHarp
06-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Id like to know this as well.

SUF Rams Head
Skreddy P19
Arc Effects Big Green
and this pedal. ( Iron Bell )

Also.. how about how it compares to the EQD Hoof?

BadMonkey007
06-23-2013, 07:15 PM
iron bell = Improved muff

steelerboy329
06-23-2013, 07:19 PM

SUF Rams Head
Skreddy P19
Arc Effects Big Green
and this pedal.

The problem with those other pedals is there is a wait and this pedal can be ordered and shipped immediately. Anyone able to share some thoughts?

I've had the Iron Bell and the SUF. I'll take the SUF every time. Biggest reason? I thought the sustain was better.

clamboy
06-25-2013, 02:27 PM
I think fuzz's, and most other pedals for that matter, are very system and taste dependent. Meaning that, guitar, pickups, cables,amp, other pedals, etc. create a circuit. And when you add a pedal to your circuit it changes the entire circuit once again. I think many, if not all of the pedals mentioned in this thread are probably all very well designed, voiced, and built. But while much is subjective and personal taste, I do think that you can compare tuning your rig with tuning a guitar - but you also have the freedom to create your own tunings, like Joni Mitchell and Keith Richards;) I think the fact that I'm using a hardtail strat with lollar tweed low output pickups along with a very clean Rivera Quiana 6LC based amp is making the Iron Bell sing in my set up. I think that the Iron Bell has so much gain that it doesn't want or need any "help" with high output pickups, or a dirty amp. I also think that's why you don't really want or need a colored booster, overdrive, or dirty amp after it. I found the opposite to be true with many germanium fuzz face clones. This also appears to be the case with a lot of Muff clones as well Bjorn over at Gilmourish also mentioned in his review of the Iron Bell that he liked it not followed by a boost or overdrive btw. Good luck in the search!

Blue Chip TD50 pick -> Ernie Ball .010 Strings -> Lollar Tweed Pickups -> RSGuitarworks Vintage Electronics Kit with no treble bleed cap -> Carvin Hardtail Bolt Swampash strat with maple neck and birdseye maple fretboard -> Vovox Sonorus instrument and patch cables - > Pedaltrain Pro with a Voodoo Labs Mondo power supply and a n Iso 5 -> Analogman minibicomp -> this1ismyne buffer -> Snark Tuner -> Voodoo Labs Wahzoo -> Whetstone Phaser -> Wilson Uber Haze -> Mojo Hand Iron Bell -> Catalinbread DLS mkiii -> Analogman KOT with Hi gain Mod followed by the clean boost -> 3Leaf Proton Envelope Filter -> Analogman Bi-Chorus -> A/DA Flanger reissue -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper -> Rivera Quiana Studio 55watt combo with THD "Vintage" speaker, oldy but goody Monster Cable RCA cables for the reverb tank, HI FI Tuning Fuses, NOS RCA tubes, entry level Audioquest, Synergistic Research, and Shunyata Power Cables.

josetxu
09-05-2013, 03:26 PM
I just have one recently and like its tone but the colour pot isn't dramatic, isn't it? I mean, if you go from 0 to 10 you notice the mid increase (and maybe more compressed) but if you turn from 0 to 4-5 (11-12 in a clock) it's more a subtle difference. Is this correct? or maybe it's more noticeable at certain ranges of tone/gain?

wilddogmoon
05-21-2014, 11:20 AM
Just picked up a used Iron Bell today. Never had a fuzz pedal before...

I'll experiment, but generally where would be the best place to put the IB: before or after a Barber Gain Changer overdrive?

I usually use the GC on limited (low gain) mode for a little boost and light cruch, with the EQ in the wide'fat mode (slight emphasis on bass and treble).

gatordoc
05-21-2014, 02:16 PM
I have my Iron Bell before all my ODs but that's mostly due to the fact that I have my Aqua Vibe between the IB and my ODs. This pedal has so much volume and gain available that I never use it with an OD so for me it doesn't matter. The IB is supposed to be the sound of a Big Muff into an OD so I never saw much of a reason to stack it with an OD. If you wanted to smooth out the fuzz then I would stack the IB into an OD. Putting an OD before it would really just be to increase the overall gain.

Kit Rae
06-02-2014, 08:19 PM
I just have one recently and like its tone but the colour pot isn't dramatic, isn't it? I mean, if you go from 0 to 10 you notice the mid increase (and maybe more compressed) but if you turn from 0 to 4-5 (11-12 in a clock) it's more a subtle difference. Is this correct? or maybe it's more noticeable at certain ranges of tone/gain?

Responding to an old post, but the color pot does very little on mine as well. I would not say it is subtle. I simply do not hear any difference at all until right around 8-10, and even there it is just barley a slight mid bump. It does not seem to matter if it is set for low sustain or high, or where the tone is set. If that is all it was intended to do, as simple switch would have been better.

Judas68fr
06-03-2014, 05:47 AM
To me the colour knob adds some thickness to the texture of the sound

Ryan84
06-03-2014, 05:49 AM
I still love mine. It's got soul. Notice I keep the colour up for extra warmth.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/polochap18/photo-2.jpg

gatordoc
06-03-2014, 06:06 PM
I definitely notice a difference with the colour knob but it is true that it seems most noticeable at the extremes so they probably could have went with a scoop/flat/boost toggle instead of a knob. I also notice that at lower pedal volume the difference is less noticeable than running the volume higher up. Still one of my favorite fuzzy distortions.

Kluch
06-04-2014, 01:02 PM
For those of you with one, I'm considering picking one up. I'm primarily wondering if it'll cut through. My understanding is that the color knob helps add mids in if you turn it clock wise... have you guys found this to be true?

Kit Rae
06-07-2014, 07:43 AM
The basic sound already has boosted mids compared to other Big Muffs. It cuts through nicely. It's kind of like the Skreddy Pig Mine and P19 - actually, nearly identical to the P19 sound, but a tad brighter.

The color knob is a mids knob, but you don't get much of a boost until the very end of the sweep. Looking at the circuit, it appears to be the same mids pot layout as in the Musket, which was a variation on Jack Orman's AMZ tone/presence control (http://www.muzique.com/lab/tone3.htm). Totally different component values though.

Kit Rae
06-07-2014, 07:49 PM
I traced the Iron Bell today. I just have to point out what this circuit is, and give credit where credit is due. Of course these are all based on the original EHX Big Muff circuits, but the Skreddy Pedals muffs usually have very unique component values not found in the original EHX pedals, and very different from other boutique muffs. Marc also includes other little details, like bleed caps on some of the pots.

The Iron Bell is basically an exact clone of the Skreddy P-19. The P-19 was on the market in early 2012, the IB came out around December that year. There are a couple of components with some minor value differences, and MojoHand used a pot instead of a switch for the mid boost control, but otherwise they just lifted the Skreddy circuit. I can also confirm the mid range circuit is the exact same layout as the mids pot on the Blackout Effectors Musket, just not as strong.

So for those of you wondering how the Iron Bell compares to the P-19, now you know. They don't sound exactly the same when comparing side by side, but pretty darn close.

Ryan84
06-07-2014, 07:54 PM
I traced the Iron Bell today. I just have to point out what this circuit is, and give credit where credit is due. Of course these are all based on the original EHX Big Muff circuits, but the Skreddy Pedals muffs usually have very unique component values not found in the original EHX pedals, and very different from boutique muffs. Marc also includes other little details, like bleed caps on some of the pots.

The Iron Bell is basically an exact clone of the Skreddy P-19. There are a couple of components with some minor value differences, and the MojoHand used a pot instead of a switch for the mid boost control, but otherwise they just lifted the Skreddy circuit. I can also confirm the mid range circuit is the exact same layout as the mids pot on the Blackout Effectors Musket, just not as strong.

So for those of you wondering how the Iron Bell compares to the P-19, now you know. They don't sound exactly the same when comparing side by side, but pretty darn close.

This is interesting thanks for sharing. I really find this to be a versatile and rather smooth fuzz pedal. It hasn't left my board and I think that says something. As for the Musket in comparison, it's a great pedal but I found it to be a little over the top. Like a little too aggressive for me. Even when you dial it back. As for the P-19 I never tried one, but after what you said I guess I basically have anyways by owning an Iron Bell lol.

gatordoc
06-07-2014, 08:06 PM
I traced the Iron Bell today. I just have to point out what this circuit is, and give credit where credit is due. Of course these are all based on the original EHX Big Muff circuits, but the Skreddy Pedals muffs usually have very unique component values not found in the original EHX pedals, and very different from other boutique muffs. Marc also includes other little details, like bleed caps on some of the pots.

The Iron Bell is basically an exact clone of the Skreddy P-19. The P-19 was on the market in early 2012, the IB came out around December that year. There are a couple of components with some minor value differences, and MojoHand used a pot instead of a switch for the mid boost control, but otherwise they just lifted the Skreddy circuit. I can also confirm the mid range circuit is the exact same layout as the mids pot on the Blackout Effectors Musket, just not as strong.

You forgot to mention that the Iron Bell has a way cooler paint job than the P19.:D. I had thought about getting a P19 before I got the IB but I guess I no longer have to worry about what I might be missing.

billyg121
06-07-2014, 08:20 PM
thanks for that info on the ib! is the colossus just a bigger, rawer version ?

Kit Rae
06-07-2014, 08:24 PM
You forgot to mention that the Iron Bell has a way cooler paint job than the P19.:D. I had thought about getting a P19 before I got the IB but I guess I no longer have to worry about what I might be missing.Well, the current graphics and colors are very cool, but the sparkly pink original enclosure....no, not really. Uhg! I knew it was pink from the photos, but I had no idea how brightly puke pink it was until I saw it first hand. Glad they changed it.

As for the Musket in comparison, it's a great pedal but I found it to be a little over the top. Like a little too aggressive for me. Even when you dial it back. As for the P-19 I never tried one, but after what you said I guess I basically have anyways by owning an Iron Bell lol.
No, I don't mean it sounds anything like the Musket in comparison. It doesn't. I was just pointing out where the one difference from the P19 came from, with regards to the circuit layout.

I like the Mids pot better than the switch on the P19, but with regards to the sound, the IB colour pot at max sounds about the same as the P-19 switched to mids hump position.

FuzzFaceJ
06-07-2014, 08:29 PM
the Colossus sounds little like the IB, except being a muff of course.

the Colossus and Iron Bell are probably my favorite muffs I've ever used. I've owned Musket, Box of War, Caprid, SUF Civil Unrest, Skreddy P19

the Colossus is probably the most open sounding Civil War muff I've used, yet it has this awesome woolliness about it. the three way switch is awesome too, it's like three totally differently voiced Civil War muffs with mids controls that react differently in one box.

billyg121
06-07-2014, 08:51 PM
thanks fuzzfacej! i think a colossus is in my future.

la noise
06-07-2014, 09:30 PM
I hear Eric Gales likes it, too, Billy. :aok

gatordoc
06-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Well, the current graphics and colors are very cool, but the sparkly pink original enclosure....no, not really. Uhg! I knew it was pink from the photos, but I had no idea how brightly puke pink it was until I saw it first hand. Glad they changed it.

I didn't know they changed the graphics, those are pretty cool - the moon, clock face, bell prism effect. The only way they could improve upon it now would be to paint it pink! :aok

Including the limited edition, isn't this the fourth color scheme they have used?

billyg121
06-08-2014, 12:30 AM
@ la noise..loves me some EG!

8strings0hair
06-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Including the limited edition, isn't this the fourth color scheme they have used?

Pretty sure you're correct. Original pink, then limited edition cream, then a run of white ones before switching to current "clock" version.

Slowhand9
06-25-2014, 01:08 AM
Hi Kit Rae,

Quick question for you. Between the P19/Iron Bell or Buffalo FX Patriot/Ram's Head/Evolution and the Musket, which one would you think comes closest to the Gilmour tones heard on wall/DSOT/Pulse? Would be great to know how they individually fare at low volume levels and specially noise. I play a 57 Strat via a Laney Cub 12R and am looking for something that shall help me achieve the closest tones possible to the Gilmour sound. I currently use a Dover drive which is creamy and does do a good Gilmour tone. Just wanted something that sits in well with the Dover Drive- which I shall be using as a boost with this pedal, ideally. I'm specifically looking for Pigs/Numb/division Bells sound. Currently I have TTS Crazy Diamonds on my Strat. Not a huge fan of David's EMG's :)

Would be great to get your suggestions. Thanks!

tucky
06-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Hi Kit Rae,

Quick question for you. Between the P19/Iron Bell or Buffalo FX Patriot/Ram's Head/Evolution and the Musket, which one would you think comes closest to the Gilmour tones heard on wall/DSOT/Pulse? Would be great to know how they individually fare at low volume levels and specially noise. I play a 57 Strat via a Laney Cub 12R and am looking for something that shall help me achieve the closest tones possible to the Gilmour sound. I currently use a Dover drive which is creamy and does do a good Gilmour tone. Just wanted something that sits in well with the Dover Drive- which I shall be using as a boost with this pedal, ideally. I'm specifically looking for Pigs/Numb/division Bells sound. Currently I have TTS Crazy Diamonds on my Strat. Not a huge fan of David's EMG's :)

Would be great to get your suggestions. Thanks!

Good question! I'll stick around for the answer as well

thewordking
06-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Not sure if I can be of too too much help here, but I do have The Musket, the Iron Bell and the BYOC Rams head. Of the three, for me, the BYOC rams head (with the settings on Kits fantastic site and an OD after it to smooth it out) hits The Wall exactly. The iron bell gets damn close and is much more versatile. It also doesn't require the od after so it's the one on my board. The Musket is perfect for later Gilmour but is always just a hair too smooth to get into Rams Head territory. Though I think the Blunderbuss version might do it. All three would sound like Gilmour in a band context or to someone who isn't as insane as we are. Hope that helps.

Slowhand9
06-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions/inputs. Wordking. This certainly helps. I am considering the Musket seriously and your comments do put things in perspective. Thank you so much!

Would anyone else like to share their experiences with the following effects? Im considering using it to go with my Love pedal Dover Drive:

1)new deluxe big muff - I wonder how much edge does it gather, after the addition of the extra knobs for tweaking?
2) P19
3) Buffalo FX - Patriot/Evolution or Ram's Head
4) Musket
5) iron bell
6) Earthquaker Hoof
7) BYOC large beaver.

It would also be fantastic to get some user comments on the Top Tone DG2. I've heard Kit's excellent sound clips on his site and read his review, as well as Bjorn Riis', on Gilmourish. Was hoping if others have something they would like to share about the DG2?

Kindly do mention how they fare when used with small/ bedroom amps (say, 15W) and the amount of noise generated, at low volume levels.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from all :)