PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else pawn a guitar to cover the bills this week?

armadillo66
12-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Put my Epiphone 56 Les Paul in my neighborhood pawn shop this morning, girlfriend pawned her Ruger 9mm, (no worries, she still has her .38) and I may have to go back and put my pedalboard in pawn too in a couple of days to cover year end tax bill amount I am short.

Paid gas & electric, took a few bucks to the landlord to keep them happy (way too nice old folks we hate being a problem to)

Hard times in America this year, we are all ok, new grandbaby in the house is the best gift we could ever want, I just know if we are crunched this bad, lots of folks must be way worse and I do feel sorry for them, stressful and frustrating. "You gotta be tough to live like this"

Summerisle
12-24-2012, 03:23 PM

cap47
12-24-2012, 03:40 PM
It would hurt me to have to come to that point. I am lucky enough to have my family all grown but they are having hard times. My son is out of work for over 2 years now and he is losing his house soon. Unemployment is expired. I am retired on SS and a small pension and single so I can live cheaply but, I don't have much left to help them out. He has been filling out applications and I also took him to the place I worked before I retired to see if I could use my sources to get him a job. Hope something breakes soon and the economy gets better but , I don't see it happening with result of the elections! We can't get into politics here anyway so I won't go any farthar.

rummy
12-24-2012, 03:45 PM
No, I plan ahead.

bullet69
12-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Cant plan for everything. Shit Happens

ChevellePRS
12-24-2012, 03:54 PM
No, I plan ahead.

Did you really have to type that out and post it?
Was your intention to be a jerk? Elicit a response? Make others feel bad?

You didn't "plan ahead," you're fortunate. You're blessed.
Have some humility.

rummy
12-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Have some humility.

I really did. I was giving out a sound financial advice. Many people buy guitars when they can't afford them.

Matt L
12-24-2012, 04:00 PM
And.....we're off!!!!

ShaunzNoiz
12-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Gonna have to sell a high end guitar to cover bills for the next couple of months. Had a tour get cancelled on me right around the time hurricane Sandy hit. Don't have anything major kicking in again until february or march. My Collings I-35 will probably be the sacraficial lamb, but thank God I've enjoyed it for a number of years and that I have it to sell.

27sauce
12-24-2012, 04:06 PM
No, but I've sold some stuff recently.

zzzezums
12-24-2012, 04:07 PM
this place really sucks sometimes...

RichSZ
12-24-2012, 04:07 PM
No, I plan ahead.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

SG_Seth
12-24-2012, 04:08 PM
I really did. I was giving out a sound financial advice. Many people buy guitars when they can't afford them.

OP said nothing about buying a guitar. He stated he has fallen on a hard time and now must sell some personal belongings to generate some fast cash. It's not like he blew his nut on a new guitar when he wasn't in a financial position to do so. You just jumped to that conclusion.

I hope you never lose your job or experience a large unexpected expense that places you in a position where you have to sell off your prized possessions. Like someone said earlier, "you're fortunate." However you're not humble and your thinly veiled attempt at a judgmental insult is not appreciated.

Merry Christmas.

27sauce
12-24-2012, 04:10 PM
He said pawn, not sell, FWIW.

Last
12-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Actually it has passed my mind more than a few times.

Not a pawn but an outright sale. I usually list a guitar or two this time of year but this one around I am fortunate enough to have enough to spread around & then some.

I always give to the "Bell Ringers" whenever I come across one.

No one is immune to hard times. No one.

Merry Christmas Everyone! :beer

armadillo66
12-24-2012, 04:11 PM
I had a plan too, turns out some corporate BS artist lied to me
then I had a crooked mortgage compnay cost us our home, tried to get the US Attorney & FBI to prosecute the people for interstate mortgage bank fraud, NOPE, not important to anyone but us.
Spent three and a half years trying to get my Social Security disability and then found out that after medicare and pharmacy cost, I get about $902 a month to live on. Ok, I can handle it, when everything cooperates and we don't get slammed by unforseen crap.
We truck on, the world at large can kiss our collective butts, we are honest people who try, but like so many, cannot Git R Done right now.

Some families spend Hawaii livin high first class Christmas party round the clock, at the expense of others not so fortunate, not talking politics, just stating a fact
Personally, I don't like Hawaii that much, too touristy and expensive for no good reason.

Dale
12-24-2012, 04:16 PM
I have sold everything a couple of times to cover expenses. Usually medical expenses.

Sean French
12-24-2012, 04:36 PM
I sold my fav Two-rock to pay for my divorce three years ago. Best money I ever spent.
I've also sold gear to buy lesser expensive gear and used what was left for expenses.

Times are really tough for a lot of Americans right now.
As long as one is healthy and have a roof and the basics, I would consider that a win.

Merry Christmas everyone. :beer

blkjazz
12-24-2012, 05:03 PM
I had a plan too, turns out some corporate BS artist lied to me
then I had a crooked mortgage compnay cost us our home, tried to get the US Attorney & FBI to prosecute the people for interstate mortgage bank fraud, NOPE, not important to anyone but us.
Spent three and a half years trying to get my Social Security disability and then found out that after medicare and pharmacy cost, I get about $902 a month to live on. Ok, I can handle it, when everything cooperates and we don't get slammed by unforseen crap.
We truck on, the world at large can kiss our collective butts, we are honest people who try, but like so many, cannot Git R Done right now.

Some families spend Hawaii livin high first class Christmas party round the clock, at the expense of others not so fortunate, not talking politics, just stating a fact
Personally, I don't like Hawaii that much, too touristy and expensive for no good reason.

You most certainly are talking politics. Totally unnecessary, and unfair, comment.

Merry Christmas to all. I hope things work out for the OP. I never had to do that and I hope I never do. I do feel sorry for those who have to take that step.

GuitarsFromMars
12-24-2012, 05:03 PM
I have a couple up for sale right now.

Everybody is hanging on and hoping/looking for work.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

DV52
12-24-2012, 05:39 PM
You most certainly are talking politics. Totally unnecessary, and unfair, comment.

Merry Christmas to all. I hope things work out for the OP. I never had to do that and I hope I never do. I do feel sorry for those who have to take that step.
Nothing political at all about his comments of bad luck. I am glad that you and the other fellow that posted earlier have never fallen on hard times.Condending comments to the OP are not in good taste.

A few years ago when the economy tanked ,I was thrown for a loop. I work on commission in a service bussiness. As things tightnened up smart custumers cut back on services that we offer.Good for them and they stayed with me. That being said while they were cutting back out of necessity,my take home pay went down my house payment per month for about two years. So unless you have about seventeen thousand dollars saved up in DISPOSABLE income,it at some point becomes a hardship.

I had to dip into stocks savings. Thank god my vehicles were paid for and I did not have that burden as well. So think about it when things are good for you,and hopefully they will remain so.

AprioriMark
12-24-2012, 05:44 PM
For what it's worth, armadillo66, I don't think you're being political any more than a child being born is being political. It's life, and stuff happens. It's not unreasonable to discuss it, and you're taking care of your situation. Everyone trolling this should be ashamed.

I haven't had to pawn anything, but it's been tight-ish around our house. We're thankful to be employed, to be healthy, and to be happy with our lot in life. I'll both say a prayer and have a drink on your behalf tonight.

-Mark

ennspek
12-24-2012, 05:44 PM
No, I plan ahead.

One day life is going to kick you in the ass so hard....

OP hard times find us all one way or the other sooner or later. It's especially tough this time of year. Chin up.

Merry Christmas all.

Static111
12-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Last year I didn't pawn, but had to sell a very nice martin guitar to pay for an unforeseen truck repair. I feel for you man...sometimes there's just no planning ahead. I hope you have a great Holiday Season regardless of your current financial situation.

Washburnmemphis
12-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Nothing political at all about his comments of bad luck. I am glad that you and the other fellow that posted earlier have never fallen on hard times.Condending comments to the OP are not in good taste.

A few years ago when the economy tanked ,I was thrown for a loop. I work on commission in a service bussiness. As things tightnened up smart custumers cut back on services that we offer.Good for them and they stayed with me. That being said while they were cutting back out of necessity,my take home pay went down my house payment per month for about two years. So unless you have about seventeen thousand dollars saved up in DISPOSABLE income,it at some point becomes a hardship.

I had to dip into stocks savings. Thank god my vehicles were paid for and I did not have that burden as well. So think about it when things are good for you,and hopefully they will remain so.

For what it's worth, armadillo66, I don't think you're being political any more than a child being born is being political. It's life, and stuff happens. It's not unreasonable to discuss it, and you're taking care of your situation. Everyone trolling this should be ashamed.

I haven't had to pawn anything, but it's been tight-ish around our house. We're thankful to be employed, to be healthy, and to be happy with our lot in life. I'll both say a prayer and have a drink on your behalf tonight.

-Mark

The political part is the reference to Hawaii. Totally unnecessary.

Static111
12-24-2012, 06:04 PM
The political part is the reference to Hawaii. Totally unnecessary. Partying around the clock in Hawaii is political?

theruley
12-24-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm sorry to hear some of you are dealing with some crap right now.

I had to move to where the work is, but now I am blessed and thankful to be able to come home for Christmas and just enjoy some quality time.

ixnay
12-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Partying around the clock in Hawaii is political?

It was probably the 'at the expense of others less fortunate' part. You know that all those evil rich people do is party at the 'expense of others'...

Washburnmemphis
12-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Partying around the clock in Hawaii is political?

It's a reference to POTUS

DV52
12-24-2012, 06:26 PM
The political part is the reference to Hawaii. Totally unnecessary.
I know people who go to Hawaii,I've never heard them talk about the political climate in Hawaii.My sister and her husband have been several times and I cannot recall them ever mentioning it.

salsage
12-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Best Wishes Armadillo

A little over a year ago, I sold a couple guitars to help with expenses. I totally understand.

Matt L
12-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Best wishes and Happy Holidays, Armadillo. Tough times suck, that's for sure. Stick it out, and you'll come out the other side just fine.

Oh, and remember....there's ALWAYS another guitar out there.

doc
12-24-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm personally doing pretty well financially, but definitely very sympathetic to those with struggles in that area, and work with lots of folks with few resources and major health issues (which is something of a vicious cycle unfortunately). I'm sad to hear from those of you on the edge needing to pawn and sell things off to get by. I'd echo the previous post that suggested that pawning things is something you should resort to rarely if ever, as the interest rates will eat you alive. You'd generally be better off to sell the item and buy a similar one used when you're in a better financial position. If you're living hand to mouth, I'm afraid my best advice is to work hard, live frugally, keep your social support system as strong as you can, and pursue useful educational opportunities if possible (in other words find things to learn that both play to your talents and lead to employment that pays fairly well). Look at what you do day to day and critique whether your activities are really helping you dig out of the hole or not - if not you need to change some things. A good education and job is not usually the key to a fortune, but generally you need a stable base to work from to make much progress (aside from picking the right lottery ticket), and the above approach provides the most stable base for most of us.

DV52
12-24-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm personally doing pretty well financially, but definitely very sympathetic to those with struggles in that area, and work with lots of folks with few resources and major health issues (which is something of a vicious cycle unfortunately). I'm sad to hear from those of you on the edge needing to pawn and sell things off to get by. I'd echo the previous post that suggested that pawning things is something you should resort to rarely if ever, as the interest rates will eat you alive. You'd generally be better off to sell the item and buy a similar one used when you're in a better financial position. If you're living hand to mouth, I'm afraid my best advice is to work hard, live frugally, keep your social support system as strong as you can, and pursue useful educational opportunities if possible (in other words find things to learn that both play to your talents and lead to employment that pays fairly well). Look at what you do day to day and critique whether your activities are really helping you dig out of the hole or not - if not you need to change some things. A good education and job is not usually the key to a fortune, but generally you need a stable base to work from to make much progress (aside from picking the right lottery ticket), and the above approach provides the most stable base for most of us.
A good education and a job Is Not Usually the key to fortune ??????? If that is not the "stable base to work from", perhaps you could enlighten us.

It is a little late for the OP. Your suggestions about finding things that suit your talents and pay well is great advice to the guy who needs to hear the "find what you like to do and get paid for it " do not apply to the OP

armadillo66
12-24-2012, 07:17 PM
bad ideas for Christmas Eve

cmatthes
12-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Cool, a Canadienne thinks about our first family than I do, if that is who he thinks I was referring to, I was actually talking about some other people I despise even more, but then you are Canadienne, you have your own set of problems to deal with

I'm not going to even PRETEND to understand what this means.

doc
12-24-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm trying to say that education and a job ARE that stable base to work from. They can fairly reliably provide a reasonable to very nice standard of living. Generally, however, even a very good paying job and a great education do not usually provide great wealth - for that you need more leverage. You need to hit the right mix of disciplined business skills along with useful innovation and a gambler's instincts and ride that horse as fast as it can go to reach escape velocity. I have a few friends in that group, but I'm firmly in the "working my ass off to achieve a nice standard of living" camp.

I failed to read where the OP is nearing need for a nursing home - if you're not almost out of time and life, there is still time to try to make some progress. Why do you say it doesn't apply to the OP?

DV52
12-24-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm trying to say that education and a job ARE that stable base to work from. They can fairly reliably provide a reasonable to very nice standard of living. Generally, however, even a very good paying job and a great education do not usually provide great wealth - for that you need more leverage. You need to hit the right mix of disciplined business skills along with useful innovation and a gambler's instincts and ride that horse as fast as it can go to reach escape velocity. I have a few friends in that group, but I'm firmly in the "working my ass off to achieve a nice standard of living" camp.

I failed to read where the OP is nearing need for a nursing home - if you're not almost out of time and life, there is still time to try to make some progress. Why do you say it doesn't apply to the OP?

You may need to edit your first post as it said otherwise. The Op clearly said he was on S.S. and disability at 902.00 per month.

sharpshooter
12-24-2012, 07:37 PM
I don't care what kind of cush job you have , or how much money you make, or how good life is,,none of us are more than a heartbeat away from disaster.
We all need to give thanks for what we have, and help those we can,,and offer our prayers for others.

armadillo66
12-24-2012, 07:40 PM
I don't care what kind of cush job you have , or how much money you make, or how good life is,,none of us are more than a heartbeat away from disaster.
We all need to give thanks for what we have, and help those we can,,and offer our prayers for others.

Amen and Merry Christmas brother, I have learned to take Nothing for granted ever again in my life

"Dear Lord, please let there be another oil boom and this time I promise not to pizz the money away"

Jahn
12-24-2012, 07:44 PM
You're looking at a dude who sold a gorgeous Artinger Blondie Jr. to do what he needed to do - buy an oven/range, microwave, dishwasher, and washer/dryer. Yep, every freaking heavy appliance short of the fridge. That was a few years ago, and now I need to ditch the fridge, haha.

I never begrudge a guy from doing what he's got to do to make ends meet. Sometimes it doesn't HAVE to be the guitar that has to go, but basically the luxury items take a backseat to the necessities in life. And sometimes the budget is pre-allocated to the extent where if five appliances all crap out at the same time, guess what? You'd rather sell (or pawn) a guitar instead of reaching into the cold hard cash of your rainy day savings account.

Life happens. And it also happens to guitarists who have to make a living with that guitar, so you never know where a poster is coming from - it's like pawning your livelihood for some guys, so let's withhold judgment if we don't know the context, right?

Floyd Eye
12-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles brother. I am ( was) a contractor and it has been really tough around here for a few years now ( approximately 5). I finally caught a break though. My drummer is a boss at the gas company here in STL and after a year of trying I finally got on a few months back. Things are going pretty well. I am making decent money and finally have health insurance for my wife and myself. The money isn't nearly as good as I was making 5 years ago, but I am fortunate enough not to have had to pawn anything yet.

I always remembered something John Lennon said ( I know, not really a fitting role model or anything, but..). "There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be". Anyway, it always helped me keep perspective on things. You appear to have a great marriage and a new grand baby, which is a wonderful blessing. A few years from now you will look back on these times and possibly remember those words Lennon wrote. Good luck brother. Lord knows we all need it.

watchingme
12-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Yep, OP, I feel your pain. Sold a few nice guitars 2 years ago to fund Christmas and bills. Is sucked but I have recovered and have several nice guitars in place of the ones I sold...

cap47
12-24-2012, 08:21 PM
The political part is the reference to Hawaii. Totally unnecessary.Too bad Washburn! He was stating a truth!

jerryfan6
12-24-2012, 08:34 PM
IBTL

RussB
12-24-2012, 08:38 PM

Yes indeed! :)

It's sad to the "haves" piss on the "have-nots" Doors that open for some do not open for others. Much of what's wrong with the world has been expressed by a few in this thread

Ampegasaur
12-24-2012, 09:01 PM
I have had much, and I have had little. Had to sacrifice things many times. How many of the Jazz greats had to pawn their horn to eat, pay rent, or sadly support a habit? I am well educated, from a well to do family, and am now a service tech. I do pretty well, and have what I need. I pay my opwn way, and don't ask others to bail me out. Times are hard, it is not always if you plan well, stuff happens. What if people failed to plan, or a crisis wiped them out? LOTS of people worked hard all their life, saved, then had it wiped out in the housing crash, stock market, and other investments. Compassion is a good thing and to give, never know when one may need it in the future.

pbmw
12-24-2012, 09:08 PM
I count myself very fortunate to have a good job. I have not had to pawn anything in. A number of years.
But there are certainly others that are not so fortunate. I'm sorry the OP is going through some hard times. Hope it gets better...

drbob1
12-24-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm very lucky as well, and don't need to pawn anything this Christmas. I'd always recommend selling first, but it's hard to find folks to buy this time of year... Bless you OP and anyone else struggling this year?

Zero G
12-24-2012, 09:17 PM
I pawned my SRV Strat in college for weed, beer, and a Nintendo 64.

Guitarworks
12-24-2012, 10:10 PM
This year, we dug out lots of stuff from storage we didn't feel the need to keep anymore and sold it all on ebay to supplement our income. We were lucky that there was demand for everything we auctioned off and it all sold for more than we expected to get. I haven't really bought any gear over the last six years since the economic depression began, so that's helped. I've also been fortunate to have sold every guitar I've managed to build from scratch this year, which helps tremendously. I'd rather sell something I built than resort to selling something from my permanent collection, and thankfully I've never had to do so. Christmas was not a bonanza this year for my wife and I, but we managed to buy our kids a few nice things. Christmas is really all about the kids anyway. If there's not enough in the budget for her and I to get each other something nice at Christmas on a bad year, it's not the end of the world. Everyone is healthy and happy, and we have employment, so we're blessed. In the meantime she and I just keep attending night school in pursuit of higher degrees, keep the vehicles running, and keep pushing on.

ChevellePRS
12-24-2012, 10:16 PM

Stevie would be proud! :dude

King Loudness
12-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Nope, but my condolences go out to those who do. I tried to spread the fortune around and got a couple guitars out to people in need this Christmas because it's supposed to be a good time of year. Merry Christmas everyone!

W.

cap47
12-24-2012, 10:36 PM
I think they made a song about you.. Did you beat up your daddy the year before he died?:huh

tamader74
12-24-2012, 10:48 PM
rummy,...a word to the wise,...Trust me, there is NOT enough money that you can save and or have invested when a catastrophy occurs...I worked hard, and worked myself up the Corp. ladder, I gave sound advice and followed my own. I had it all, I had happiness and was financially sound. Then my Corp. took away ALL my Insurance 2 months after I was diagnosed with Cancer, at the time my Wife and I were taking care of my Father...She lost her job and stayed exhausted taking care of me and Dad.

Do you have any Idea the cost of aggressive Cancers?...I (because I admitted to, and had assets) received no financial help, and made $450. a month to much to receive even state help. But what cost the most was the RESENTMENT I let build for about 6 months after I went into remission,...you see, not only did the Cancer take my $$$, a pretty large vintage Instrument collection, and other assets...it took away the fact that I didn't enjoy the first few months of my second chance I had been given...that I wasn't supposed to have!!!.

That hit me a about 8-9 months ago when a nurse reminded me by a statement she made it was "Oh Mr. Anderson, so your in remission...not cured"...it hit me then hard, The old saying "I had one foot in yesterday, one hoping on tomorrow, and pissing all over today",...So, the moral my Friend is, I've had a couple of lousey Chraistmas's the past couple of years financially...But, I've always had the love of a Fantastic Wife right there with me along with Family and Friends,...too all having a rough time this Season...Please, Please, be thankful for what you do have, with a positive out-look and love of Family, Friends and prayer...there is always better things ahead for all who believe. Tom

tsar nicholas
12-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Hang in there guys! My thoughts go out to everybody having a rough time this Christmas and always.

ChevellePRS
12-24-2012, 10:55 PM
rummy,...a word to the wise,...Trust me, there is NOT enough money that you can save and or have invested when a catastrophy occurs...I worked hard, and worked myself up the Corp. ladder, I gave sound advice and followed my own. I had it all, I had happiness and was financially sound. Then my Corp. took away ALL my Insurance 2 months after I was diagnosed with Cancer, at the time my Wife and I were taking care of my Father...She lost her job and stayed exhausted taking care of me and Dad.

Do you have any Idea the cost of aggressive Cancers?...I (because I admitted to, and had assets) received no financial help, and made $450. a month to much to receive even state help. But what cost the most was the RESENTMENT I let build for about 6 months after I went into remission,...you see, not only did the Cancer take my $$$, a pretty large vintage Instrument collection, and other assets...it took away the fact that I didn't enjoy the first few months of my second chance I had been given...that I wasn't supposed to have!!!.

That hit me a about 8-9 months ago when a nurse reminded me by a statement she made it was "Oh Mr. Anderson, so your in remission...not cured"...it hit me then hard, The old saying "I had one foot in yesterday, one hoping on tomorrow, and pissing all over today",...So, the moral my Friend is, I've had a couple of lousey Chraistmas's the past couple of years financially...But, I've always had the love of a Fantastic Wife right there with me along with Family and Friends,...too all having a rough time this Season...Please, Please, be thankful for what you do have, with a positive out-look and love of Family, Friends and prayer...there is always better things ahead for all who believe. Tom
sobering.
+1 and best wishes Tom.

Zero G
12-24-2012, 10:55 PM
I think they made a song about you.. Did you beat up your daddy the year before he died?:huh

No, did you?

teleman55
12-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Hi.
Through the years, money flows, money gets tight. ***t happens. I've sold stuff (and bought stuff too), and pawned stuff. Never touch the core gigging stuff though. Those things are your tools. But, you get flush and get some extra stuff. Then money gets tight or ***t happens. So maybe you sell something you like but don't need. Sometimes you pawn it instead so you can keep it. Just use it to generate a little temporary capital. I did this sometimes when I was young. Then not for a long time. Now sometimes because lending institutions are so tight and my credit got damaged in 2008-9 when everything crashed. Glad I own my humble abode free and clear. But, OP, if you are pawning you last or only guitar/amp/pedal/PA, etc. think real hard. That's like a carpenter pawning his tools. You won't have your tools, the money will be gone in a week or so to pay for whatever was so important and you'll be just as broke as before but without your 'tools'. Of course if you have a major health problem that's a whole different thing. Then your tools may become less important. (when are we in the USA going to tell the ideologues to go eff themselves and start to deal with healthcare like all the modern first world countries do?). Merry Christmas. Hang in there OP.

vortexxxx
12-24-2012, 11:17 PM
I've had to sell a guitar or two in the past to pay for something unexpected but I will not pawn anything. I find many pawn shops to be really sleazy so I avoid them.

supersonic1414
12-25-2012, 10:41 AM
No, I plan ahead.

What a low class post.

sshan25
12-25-2012, 10:52 AM
I've had some rough times where I had to sell off almost everything. Lately things have been looking up and I've been able to acquire some new stuff. Hang in there, things can get better.

allanr
12-25-2012, 10:59 AM
One day life is going to kick you in the ass so hard....

OP hard times find us all one way or the other sooner or later. It's especially tough this time of year. Chin up.

Merry Christmas all.

Plus One. Well said.

americananalog
12-25-2012, 11:18 AM
I've had to sell a guitar or two in the past to pay for something unexpected but I will not pawn anything. I find many pawn shops to be really sleazy so I avoid them.

True that. Four years ago I had to pawn a guitar, a new MIM 60s Reverse strat worth $699 retail. They gave me 85 bucks. Luckily I was able to reclaim it the following week and I was SO glad to have her back. I'll never do that again.

aquietcabin78
12-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Just sold one and will be selling a la cab I just finished last week( begrudgingly). Happens man...four year old daughter, wife in school, old car....never can tell. We have no real family or anyone outside the three of us who cares if we eat or not..but we're happy and so it goes.

Hope things start looking up for everyone this year.

Hope the OP gets his stuff out of hock.

be excellent to each other yo!

Peteyvee
12-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I've pawned guitars before when times are tough and always gotten them back. You gotta do what you gotta do and there's no shame in it. It kinda burns me to have to pay $350 on a $300 loan after 3 or 4 months, but the pawn shop guy has to eat too. Just put some money aside from each check and get it out when you have enough saved up.

Happy Holidays to all and let's leave the talk about politics to other forums before someone gets dinged, OK?

Bob Maximus
12-25-2012, 01:26 PM
A while ago, I sold some gear cheap to pay rent. Wish I would have pawned it instead. At least pawning it would have given me the chance to get it back. Best of Luck OP!

HoboMan
12-25-2012, 01:32 PM
I used to do it quite regularly when I was younger.
I grew up in a Military town and the local pawn shop was also the local Music Store.

I had a 1974 20th Anniversary Black Les Paul custom that was in & out of the pawn shop quite often.
The manager there kept offering to buy it from me but I always just pawned it and got it back later.

LivingTheDream
12-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Too bad Washburn! He was stating a truth!

To be fair, lets not forget the "truth" started prior to 2008.

DCAddy
12-25-2012, 03:06 PM
In 1992, I sold every guitar I owned (only 4, but still...) to get 1800 bucks for my dog's operation. He was only three, but got popped by a truck, crushing his rear leg and doing serious internal damage. I never even gave it a second thought.
Ned only lived for another two years, but I never regretted it. You gotta do these things sometimes,,,,after all, they're only guitars, people.
Best of luck to the OP, and Merry Christmas to all!

73Fender
12-25-2012, 06:30 PM

Have some humility.

+1, sad. Like I tell my kids, if you have nothing nice to say, don't be a dick.

Stinky Kitty
12-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Years ago, when I was just a teen stationed overseas, I got a troubling letter from my mom. This was years before the internet. She said my sister's boyfriend had clocked her pretty bad and my dad was out to sea as well. He, a 38-yr merchant marine vet, me a Navy sailor. I was broke...we didn't get much pay back then and I certainly didn't have enough money to buy a plane ticket. The guys I served with heard me talking about what had occurred back home and a few hours later, I went down to my rack and under my mattress was enough money for a round trip ticket to go home to, as we say, "handle it." I considered it a loan. They did not.

If there was a pawn shop anywhere in Italy where I could of pawned my BC Rich Eagle Koa, it would have been off that ship in minutes. Fortunately, I served with men who took care of each other, no questions asked. You do what you have to do to keep afloat, so to speak. Guitars are tools. As much as we want to assign life to them, in the end, they are not life. Life is bills, your pets, your loved ones. Handle your business and ignore those who seem to think they have enough insight into your personal situation to judge your past financial decisions.

Switters
12-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Great words, Stinky Kitty. And Merry Christmas to you and the other fine and compassionate folk in this thread.

cap47
12-25-2012, 09:27 PM
To be fair, lets not forget the "truth" started prior to 2008.Yes it did but not the way you think!

crhfish
12-25-2012, 09:34 PM
its been an up and down year for me, and I hope your situation gets better. Something tells me it will. I will say am jealous of the grand baby. I want one so bad but its not in the cards right now. I keep hoping.

Trotter
12-25-2012, 10:34 PM
I sold my fav Two-rock to pay for my divorce three years ago. Best money I ever spent.
I've also sold gear to buy lesser expensive gear and used what was left for expenses.

Times are really tough for a lot of Americans right now.
As long as one is healthy and have a roof and the basics, I would consider that a win.

Merry Christmas everyone. :beer

Hear hear!

Chuck Chrome
12-26-2012, 10:00 AM

Have some humility.

Assuming someone is doing well is because they are blessed is as much a generality as assuming those not doing well are lazy. Nobody has complete control over their future but those who go to school, don't have five kids by the time they are 20, don't abuse alcohol or drugs, don't overextend buying houses on the assumption that values will continue to rise indefinately tend to do better than those that don't. Those are all choices. Win some lose some it usually comes down to the choices we as individuals make, not some "wicked corporation" or "greedy bankers" or whether we are blessed or not. Guess it is much easier to externalized things we don't like rather than have some introspection into how choices we make impact our lives.

mediocreplayer
12-26-2012, 10:44 AM
The sad thing is that those hit hardest by (unexpected) medical expenses are usually the same people who try to ensure that the system remains exactly the way it currently is -- an overinflated mess.

OP, I hope your time away from your guitar is temporary and short. But hey, all is not lost, your girlfriend still has her gun :rolleyes:

Regardless, I sincerely hope the OP and everyone who is dealing with hard times catch a break as soon as possible.

VTR
12-26-2012, 11:32 AM
My brother has been poor poor all his life. He hocked his BlueRidge Gibson 12 string years ago, paid faithfully for years. He is so happy and thrilled to have it back. Pawning is fine, at least you get a chance to have (perhaps) a favorite instrument back in your hands. Good luck to ya, and always ignore the dickheads.

Deathmonkey
12-26-2012, 12:32 PM
I had to get a loan on my purple PRS Custom 24, just to finish off this month before I get paid. I get paid quarterly, and I had some friends really need help this season, so I figured a little ramen and water wouldn't hurt. I had to stretch it a bit further than I had hoped, and a few items I put on the 'bay/CL didn't sell, but this kinda stuff happens, and keeps me thankful for all I do have.

buddyboy69
12-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Well, the fiscal cliff will have a direct effect on our household income so ive got some stuff ready to sell. No pawn shops up here.

59Vampire
12-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Well, I gave a way my Vicky 5e3 last week for a song, parted out my strat, sold off a bunch of my tube stash, sold my san dimas in september for almost half of its value. Yeah, its tough right now.

strathumper5150
12-26-2012, 06:06 PM
never say neve,r 2 yrs ago i was flyin high with 3 killer guitars $4000, $3000 amp and $3000 in pedals and boom 9 weeks in the hospital, $375000 hospital bill and it took almost every thing i owned to make deductables!!lost 80 pounds down to 130 lbs and wife in the meantime lost her job daughter wrecked car etc etc needless to say never say never! cherish time not things... i was prepared i feel for ya bro.. when its family its not a choice its a duty!

Greentone
12-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I sold 2 guitars and 3 pedals just before Xmas this year. It was to offset moving expenses and buy some gifts for my (awesome) girlfriend. It sucked, but it also felt good to get some bills out from over my head and see her smile. I play and teach for a living and still have everything I need to continue doing so. I consider myself very fortunate given the social/economic climate these days.

photoguy
12-26-2012, 06:14 PM
OP- Hope 2013 brings you good things.

ChevellePRS
12-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Assuming someone is doing well is because they are blessed is as much a generality as assuming those not doing well are lazy. Nobody has complete control over their future but those who go to school, don't have five kids by the time they are 20, don't abuse alcohol or drugs, don't overextend buying houses on the assumption that values will continue to rise indefinately tend to do better than those that don't. Those are all choices. Win some lose some it usually comes down to the choices we as individuals make, not some "wicked corporation" or "greedy bankers" or whether we are blessed or not. Guess it is much easier to externalized things we don't like rather than have some introspection into how choices we make impact our lives.

No, it's not a generalization. You're relying on fallacy.

As others have mentioned, but I will reiterate for you:
-One cannot plan ahead for health issues, regardless of alcohol/drugs/lifestyle. Perfectly healthy people encounter unforeseen problems, you cannot out-plan your genetics.
-You cannot plan to not be rear-ended or hit head-on by a drunk driver. No matter how good your defensive driving skills are, you cannot plan for that.
-You can't plan for the economy and today's job market. You're kidding yourself if you claim to have had the foresight to pick a recession-proof career. I suspect your demographic is one that doesn't have a clue yet, so you may still have time to pick wisely.

Those are three tiny examples out of a million. Even if someone makes all of the right decisions, according to your logic, somewhere along the way they were still given good fortune. There are tons of people swimming in the job market right now that made every right decision, but still can't find a job. It has nothing to do with their choices. The circumstances of today's economy and job market essentially render your chances of getting a job to be solely based on luck/good fortune/karma/blessing whatever you want to call it. It's too narcissistic to believe in the notion that you achieved everything simply based on your good choices. Your 'introspection' is more like an overflowing vat of egotistical naivety.

Get back with me in 10 years son and lets see if every choice you made worked out exactly how you planned.

AudioEcstasy
12-26-2012, 06:44 PM
It's more than "planning ahead" some times you're just short. I have some gear that is marked for sale, and some still that will never be sold no matter how tough things get. Sympathies to anyone and everyone experiencing this depression.

joemilitello
12-26-2012, 07:12 PM
To the OP and others who have shared, I wish you the best and hope the new year brings you happiness, prosperity and health.

Ignore the pompous ass who posted the insensitive comment.

ixnay
12-26-2012, 07:19 PM

This.

cap47
12-26-2012, 08:20 PM
The hard times don't appear to be getting better. Those who haven't been affected yet may soon be singing a different tune. So don't get on your high horses about your planning and right choices because all of that may just go by the wayside. This Depression and yes it is a depression is far from ending and looks like it can only get worse. Why? Because of the bad planning of governments all over the world with record debts they cannot hope to pay. It is all coming down on all of us regardless of our singular planning and right choices.

FiestaRed869
12-26-2012, 09:52 PM
I dont get People talkimg down to others, its pretty standard. You have a good job, buy nice things and objects You Want and may not need. You lose a job or fall on hard times and maybe downsize Your Home, get a Less expensive car and sell objects That arent nessesity.

Lumpy Trousers
12-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Not this year, but years ago I had to hock some gear right around Christmastime - not a good feeling. Luckily I got back on my feet in time to pay off the loan and get it back.

I wish only the best to people who are struggling right now - I hope things get better for you soon!

Orm-D
12-26-2012, 10:10 PM
MOJO sent to the OP. I have been in your position in the past and hope the worm turns for you

crzyfngers
12-26-2012, 11:33 PM
man, that sucks. it's harder to get a gun out of pawn than it is to buy a new one. be prepared.

EricPeterson
12-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Wow, some real assholes around here.

Sorry for your misfortune OP, I hope 2013 is a better year for you.

Drew68
12-26-2012, 11:46 PM
True that. Four years ago I had to pawn a guitar, a new MIM 60s Reverse strat worth $699 retail. They gave me 85 bucks. Luckily I was able to reclaim it the following week and I was SO glad to have her back. I'll never do that again.

When I was in college I pawned my first Les Paul, a Norlin-era Studio. They gave me a flat $100 for it. My best friend in the world paid $125 to get it out of hock and said he'd sell it back to me for that amount anytime I wanted it.

That was 20 years ago. I now have an R8 and that old Studio is his number one. I could easily give him the $125 for that Studio back but I never will. I'm just happy that he has enjoyed it all these years.

Chuck Chrome
12-27-2012, 06:15 AM
No, it's not a generalization. You're relying on fallacy.

As others have mentioned, but I will reiterate for you:
-One cannot plan ahead for health issues, regardless of alcohol/drugs/lifestyle. Perfectly healthy people encounter unforeseen problems, you cannot out-plan your genetics.
-You cannot plan to not be rear-ended or hit head-on by a drunk driver. No matter how good your defensive driving skills are, you cannot plan for that.
-You can't plan for the economy and today's job market. You're kidding yourself if you claim to have had the foresight to pick a recession-proof career. I suspect your demographic is one that doesn't have a clue yet, so you may still have time to pick wisely.

Those are three tiny examples out of a million. Even if someone makes all of the right decisions, according to your logic, somewhere along the way they were still given good fortune. There are tons of people swimming in the job market right now that made every right decision, but still can't find a job. It has nothing to do with their choices. The circumstances of today's economy and job market essentially render your chances of getting a job to be solely based on luck/good fortune/karma/blessing whatever you want to call it. It's too narcissistic to believe in the notion that you achieved everything simply based on your good choices. Your 'introspection' is more like an overflowing vat of egotistical naivety.

Get back with me in 10 years son and lets see if every choice you made worked out exactly how you planned.

Wow, are you really that obtuse? Clearly you can't read because I never said our choices were 100% responsible for our future. I never said there are guarantees in life. Because I believe this I hedge toward the conservative. Since there is no guarantee that I won't have a catastrophic illness or get hit by a drunk driver should I say "f it" and not save a dime? Do you really go through life so helpless? My post was never about crapping on people in tough times. it was a response to your nonsense post about being blessed vs. actively preparing for an uncertain future.

EricPeterson
12-27-2012, 06:54 AM
Wow, are you really that obtuse? Clearly you can't read because I never said our choices were 100% responsible for our future. I never said there are guarantees in life. Because I believe this I hedge toward the conservative. Since there is no guarantee that I won't have a catastrophic illness or get hit by a drunk driver should I say "f it" and not save a dime? Do you really go through life so helpless? My post was never about crapping on people in tough times. it was a response to your nonsense post about being blessed vs. actively preparing for an uncertain future.

Your point is getting lost, you are not coming off well, just my opinion.

ef_in_fla
12-27-2012, 07:29 AM
man, that sucks. it's harder to get a gun out of pawn than it is to buy a new one. be prepared.

How do you figure? Yes they have to do the FTR form but then so does a dealer.

blaster
12-27-2012, 08:02 AM
mojo sent to you! May the new year be better for you

Chuck Chrome
12-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Your point is getting lost, you are not coming off well, just my opinion.

Eh, you are probably right. Nothing new.

Should have just left it as I wish the best for everyone no matter what their situation in life.

armadillo66
12-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Interesting read after my first post. A Gp member did a secret Santa to us, which we paid forward to someone having a harder time than we were.

The girlfriend pawned her gun, but still has her momma's 1st year made S&W Chief's Special. I am a former FFL license holder so I know the gun laws as well as anyone. All she has to do is fill out a fresh 4473 form and the dealer does a NICS background and she can have it back. Here in the KC area, our gun laws are pretty reasonable to comply with.

To those who preach about a plan Yep, I had a couple of them over the years. BUT I promise you, right now in America, 99% of the households are one missed paycheck away from big financial troubles. Nobody is immune to it. We are sensible about how we use credit, but still owe too much right now due to having to bite the bullet and put some stuff on credit we wished we did not have to.

I scrounge guitars from pawn shops, garage sales, etc, fix them up and flip them, and several friends have nice guitars in personal collections that if I need one for a gig, I can probably have access to something nice with the owner just glad to see it getting played by someone with decent playing skills.

I am 60yrs old, you younger guys take a piece of advice. Having some tools or collectible firearms or musical gear you can pawn is sometimes a smart financial move. I never pawn anything I cannot afford to part with should I not be able to get it back out.
We scrounge stuff whenever we can. We have an eye for valuables, antiques and collectibles. I also work a metal detector around the area parks, ball fields, school grounds and such. A little piece of gold chain or silver coins can net you some bucks to cover groceries, gas or pharmacy in a pinch.

Last piece of old man advice, to all that got pizzy with each other in this thread, lighten up, life is too short for BS on a web forum

27sauce
12-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Its the same process to redeem a pawned gun as it is to buy one, that is unless you're buying it privately or at a gun show. The fun part is if your background check gets denied while trying to redeem a pawned weapon.

Chuck Chrome
12-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Interesting read after my first post. A Gp member did a secret Santa to us, which we paid forward to someone having a harder time than we were.

The girlfriend pawned her gun, but still has her momma's 1st year made S&W Chief's Special. I am a former FFL license holder so I know the gun laws as well as anyone. All she has to do is fill out a fresh 4473 form and the dealer does a NICS background and she can have it back. Here in the KC area, our gun laws are pretty reasonable to comply with.

To those who preach about a plan Yep, I had a couple of them over the years. BUT I promise you, right now in America, 99% of the households are one missed paycheck away from big financial troubles. Nobody is immune to it. We are sensible about how we use credit, but still owe too much right now due to having to bite the bullet and put some stuff on credit we wished we did not have to.

I scrounge guitars from pawn shops, garage sales, etc, fix them up and flip them, and several friends have nice guitars in personal collections that if I need one for a gig, I can probably have access to something nice with the owner just glad to see it getting played by someone with decent playing skills.

I am 60yrs old, you younger guys take a piece of advice. Having some tools or collectible firearms or musical gear you can pawn is sometimes a smart financial move. I never pawn anything I cannot afford to part with should I not be able to get it back out.
We scrounge stuff whenever we can. We have an eye for valuables, antiques and collectibles. I also work a metal detector around the area parks, ball fields, school grounds and such. A little piece of gold chain or silver coins can net you some bucks to cover groceries, gas or pharmacy in a pinch.

Last piece of old man advice, to all that got pizzy with each other in this thread, lighten up, life is too short for BS on a web forum

Sorry for taking this thread off-tangent and hope things turn around for the better. Sounds like you are making moves to make things better. Hope 2013 works out well for you and your are 100% right, the best plans can go pear shaped in a minute. Just gotta keep moving forward.

Blue4Now
12-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Very few people are outside the bounds of experiencing sudden (or not so sudden) financial hardships. Even those with large paychecks are often only a few checks away from disaster.

I thank my lucky stars every day for what I have and hope I can continue to keep my head above the water.

But now, I have never had to pawn or sell a guitar to pay the bills, thank god. I wish you the best and hope things turn aroung quickly!

ChevellePRS
12-27-2012, 12:36 PM
your(sic) are 100% right, the best plans can go pear shaped in a minute. Just gotta keep moving forward.

This was my point to you Mr. Chrome. When your plans do not go pear shaped, it's not because you're so cunning and smart, a lot of it is because you had some things go your way, out of your control. Just like when things go bad, sometimes it's out of your control. Planning and good fortune can co-exist, it's not that you either have one or the other. Acknowledging this doesn't make me "obtuse." I shouldn't be attacked for asking a poster for humility and decorum.

JScaster
12-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Thankfully for now i don't need to sell anything out of necessity,but in my country we are suffering a severe economy crisis(Portugal).And if that wasn't enough those pricks in the government made an absurdly raise in taxes.

2013 will be pretty tough.And quiet frankly i don't see any signs of this getting better.

slap dat
12-27-2012, 02:00 PM
I've sold some treasured pieces to make ends meet, but was fortunate to have other guitars to fall back on. One of the nice things about musical instruments is the fact that they are so liquid.

marshall2288
12-27-2012, 02:54 PM
I feel you, OP. 4 or 5 years ago my wife lost her job as she was 6 months preggo. We were already living barely paycheck to paycheck. It was a kick in the nuts for sure. I had to sell just about every guitar I owned expect for the one thats either going in the grave with me or getting passed down to my kids. It's rough out there man. I've had the same job for 8 years and all 8 years I have received a raise. Also all 8 years either my health insurance or something goes up. 8 years, 8 raises, still making the same I did 8 years ago. We all just gotta keep our heads up and stick in there together.

rob2001
12-27-2012, 03:06 PM
I have sold gear in the past to get me out of a spot but lately the guitars and amps I own now won't yield enough cash to get me out of the spots I've found myself in! I mean, my gear isn't junk but I know replacing it would be tough.

rummy
12-28-2012, 07:52 AM
I would just like to apologize for my dick head comment. It wasn't necessary.

Srvwannab
12-28-2012, 08:49 AM

There have been times in my life when I should have been the ant, and made the short-sighted decision to be the grasshopper instead.

There are also times in which life events have happened, over which I have had very little control.

More of my challenges have been from the former than the latter. YMMV.

choucas09
12-28-2012, 11:51 AM

Good for you mate, your humility totally outweighs the comment.

johnh
12-28-2012, 01:05 PM

I totally agree.

wutnot
12-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Over the last 3-4 months or so I have sold 5 guitars and 2 amps to minimize the amount of gear I own. I love that guitar gear retains it's value reasonable well. If I get %75 of what I originally paid for, well I'm a very happy camper. In some cases I got %60, but I still find it great that gear has value and it can be liquified pretty quickly.

Cheers to all.

raja
12-28-2012, 01:53 PM
I can appreciate armadillo's candidness here in this forum
Everybody at any given time can suffer some difficulty in life...
I remember pawning 2 quality guitars cause I needed the money ....NOW
well I was able to address the immiediate need and not lose my guitars...Im sure the pawnbroker would have wanted me to default so he can resell at an enourmous mark-up.
Am going thru some heavy stuff now but Im blessed with 2 jobs, but heres the trade off, i dont have time to jam and come home too tired to even play guitar...
my inspiration is knnowing that there is light at the end of the tunnel...so if there is anybody out there that feels as if they got problems...hang in there it'll get better!!!

custom53
12-28-2012, 01:56 PM
It's been a while since I have had to do that (knock on wood).. But I lost a nice Hofner doing that.. My Ovation Breadwinner has been in and out more times than I can remember..
Hopefully I won't have to do it again.. (another knock on wood)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z135/custom53_photos/Automobles/My%20Autos/Guitars/My%20Guitars/April1st007.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z135/custom53_photos/Automobles/My%20Autos/Guitars/My%20Guitars/cimg5555.jpg

73Fender
12-28-2012, 02:18 PM
+1 We have all said things we wish we hadn't.

Dumdeediddle
01-01-2013, 01:49 PM
So somehow Potus is doing something bad by going to Hawaii for Xmas ? And ALL the previous ones have been bad as well for going where they went for Xmas ?

"in my country we are suffering a severe economy crisis(Portugal)" - How right you are. Why doesn't anyone ever mention what others elsewhere are going through? In some countries they are being drug though circumstances that NONE of them have any choice in. And NO WHERE to turn.

enharmonic
01-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Had to sell everything to offset costs of a divorce. It's not fun, but hopefully it will all work out in the end.

Already replacing some gear. I can't get back what I had, but the beauty of TGP is there's always something cool to check out on the horizon.