PDA

View Full Version : Fret Wear

Rockyrollercat
01-08-2013, 03:52 PM
I think the frets are too soft on my 08 strat. How many string changes before you have to touch up the crowns? They get valleys on the plain strings and vertical gouges on the wound strings.

Thanks,
RRC

Pietro
01-08-2013, 03:53 PM
It should be counted in years, not string changes. I have had guitars that had some noticeable divots in the frets for years and were still very playable.

That said, my main guitars have SS frets now. No wear... pretty much ever...

59Bassman
01-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Is this your main guitar? You can certainly do a lot of fret damage in 5 years if it's your main guitar. My main guitar in college was purchased in 1990. By about 1995, I'd pretty much played the frets off it. They were vintage Fender sized frets, and that was my only guitar from 1991 through 1995. The guitar was pretty much my only hobby, and I played that guitar a couple hours per day.

Your guitar is 5 years old, too. If it's your main player, fretwork or fret replacement is not out of the question.

blong
01-08-2013, 07:48 PM
It depends on how often you play, string type and gauge, how hard you play, so it's hard to tell. I have a professional guitar player that I refret his main guitar about twice a year, but he gigs 4-6 nights a week, uses heavy strings and plays hard on them, and plays almost exclusively his main strat unless he has a string break, then goes back to it as soon as it's ready. I have about two dozen guitars and don't play as often as I used to, so I rarely need a refret, just an occasional fret level on the guitars I play the most.

Bob

Soapbarstrat
01-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Some fret wire is definitely softer and not worth paying a tech to level and recrown.

bob-i
01-08-2013, 10:02 PM
It depends on how often you play, string type and gauge, how hard you play, so it's hard to tell. I have a professional guitar player that I refret his main guitar about twice a year...

Bob

That's interesting. I had an LP I bought new in 77 and played exclusively 4-7 gigs a week for about 15 years. After countless fret jobs the slots simply didn't hold the frets anymore. A tech filled them with ebony and glue mix and recut the slots, still I'd have frets lift out. Of course this was before super glue was used.

Any issues like that?