PDA

View Full Version : Duncan JB with an Alnico 8 is Awesome!!

psychodave
01-23-2013, 08:51 AM
So I finally got around to swapping out the magnet in my Duncan JB. Stock the JB comes with an alnico 5 and it's okay, but I never liked the midrange with it. After reading a lot on changing the magnet to an alnico 8, I finally took the plunge. It is now more balanced and seems to be a little bit louder. Well worth the $4 on the magnet vs. $50-$150 on a new pickup. I'm surprised Duncan hasn't put out there own JB8?!?

Has anyone else tried and liked the JB with an alnico 8 magnet?

9fingers
01-23-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm also not a fan of the "honk of a stock JB. I too have A8 in mine at present and prefer it. Still lots of mids but slightly tamed highs & definitely tighter bottom. Yes a little more output too as expected with A8. There is a ton of info on JB mag swaps in the pickup section of the Seymour Duncan forum. Some people like to tame down a JB with A2.

donbarzini
01-23-2013, 09:55 AM
The Duncan Alternative 8 is a cool pickup, sounds like a warmer Distortion IMO.

Phil M
01-23-2013, 10:07 AM
I have a WCR Goodwood with the A8 and it sounds great in Les Pauls (I've put it in a couple). My amps are on the bright side with lots of midrange and this works well for that.

psychodave
01-23-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm also not a fan of the "honk of a stock JB. I too have A8 in mine at present and prefer it. Still lots of mids but slightly tamed & definitely tighter bottom. Yes a little more output too as expected with A8. There is a ton of info on JB mag swaps in the pickup section of the Seymour Duncan forum. Some people like to tame down a JB with A2.

I read a lot of that a while ago, but never got around to testing it out.

I find the JB8 is similar to the Distortion, but doesnt have that high end fizz. Single notes are very smooth, and the wound strings have a violin like tone when sliding into a note. I am still in the honeymoon phase with it, but very happy with the results. FWIW, I was too lazy to try the A2 and figured the A2 might add mids to it, which is wat I was trying to get rid of. ;)

psychodave
01-23-2013, 10:28 AM
The Duncan Alternative 8 is a cool pickup, sounds like a warmer Distortion IMO.

You gave me the idea about the A8 in the JB. :) Thanks!!!

donbarzini
01-24-2013, 10:34 AM
You gave me the idea about the A8 in the JB. :) Thanks!!!

men helping other men, that's what it's all about....

big mike
01-24-2013, 10:35 AM
What's it do for the low end?
I dig the JB but my bitch about it has always been the lack of low end, (and the pretty bad clean tone) moved over to 59's usually loaded with A3 or A4.

donbarzini
01-24-2013, 10:56 AM
What's it do for the low end?
I dig the JB but my bitch about it has always been the lack of low end, (and the pretty bad clean tone) moved over to 59's usually loaded with A3 or A4.

lack of low end? seriously? the biggest problem I have with the JB is the tubby low end. I've been using the 35th Anniversary version which is better but not perfect IMO.

the_boogie_man
01-24-2013, 11:01 AM
lack of low end? seriously? the biggest problem I have with the JB is the tubby low end. I've been using the 35th Anniversary version which is better but not perfect IMO.

You know that's all I ever hear about the JB, people either say it has no low end, or that it's too flubby. :dunno

big mike
01-24-2013, 11:02 AM

Always comes across thin to me. Especially in my les paul days.

EADGBE
01-24-2013, 11:04 AM
I love my stock JBs. It's probably my favorite pickup. What's the difference between an alnico 5 and an alnico 8 magnet? Isn't the 8 more powerful?

9fingers
01-24-2013, 12:29 PM
The A8 does add some low end beef & clarity to a JB. It is still JBish but fatter on the bottom. Not a huge difference but apparent.

psychodave
01-25-2013, 08:28 AM
The A8 does add some low end beef & clarity to a JB. It is still JBish but fatter on the bottom. Not a huge difference but apparent.

Agreed. The added bottom end get rid of the mid-range honk.

I also tried an UOA5 magnet, which was cool. I got lazy and didnt feel like trying the A2. :roll