PDA

View Full Version : **The Official**Anyone own the new Empress Tape Delay yet??

Pages : [1] 2

SirGilmour
02-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Just curious if anyone has one yet and what they think of it. The VMSD was my favorite tape emulator so this has my eye.

http://www.empresseffects.com/tapedelay.html

*****EDIT***** Here are the official vids.

w99DHagZpkc
-TAR-lQlqJM

lv
02-21-2013, 09:38 AM
I'll have one next week. I think only one dealer in the states received stock yesterday, so the only option was buying direct from Empress.

SirGilmour
02-21-2013, 10:57 AM
did you order the day it was available? If so i guess nobody has one yet. Im dying to play it.

ruger9
02-21-2013, 10:59 AM
It only went from "pre-order" to checkout-able today on the Empress website. I should have funds tomorrow to order one tomorrow, if there's any left by tomorrow.

SirGilmour
02-21-2013, 11:07 AM
OHHH. I didnt know they did a preorder. I thought it was available. I cant wait to see reviews. Thanks for the info

ruger9
02-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Ordered. Should have next week. Looking forward to your review, lv... we've been on this "tape delay quest" for a long time...

Incidentally, I did just receive the new Wampler Faux Tape Echo Tap to shootout with my El Cap...

lv
02-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Ordered. Should have next week. Looking forward to your review, lv... we've been on this "tape delay quest" for a long time...

Incidentally, I did just receive the new Wampler Faux Tape Echo Tap to shootout with my El Cap...

Looking fwd to your thoughts. I loved the vmsd, so this one should be great, esp with the analog dry.

did you order the day it was available? If so i guess nobody has one yet. Im dying to play it.

Pro Guitar Shop has them in stock - thanks40 takes $40 off a $299 order.

aporcelainsky
02-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Pro Guitar Shop has them in stock - thanks40 takes $40 off a $299 order.

good thing they're only $249 ;)

really tempted in hearing opinions/demos of this against the el cap.

SirGilmour
02-21-2013, 04:11 PM
I havent owned an el cap but i did own a VMSD and a Timeline and IMO opinion the VMSD had a far superior tape section. The best i have played. The timeline sounded too....digital?(for lack of a better term) I have the worst GAS for this new tape delay especially with analog dry

Realfi
02-21-2013, 04:37 PM
So you get both preset access and tap with only the two buttons? That sounds clever...

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos

Adagietto
02-21-2013, 04:49 PM
So you get both preset access and tap with only the two buttons? That sounds clever...It looks like you get preset access or tap.

StringEmil
02-21-2013, 05:25 PM
It looks like you get preset access or tap.
Correct.
http://www.empresseffects.com/manuals/tapedelay.pdf

Also, a quick PGS demo:
cnYlG1cpl1A

Realfi
02-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Fair enough..

Personally for me that makes the favourite switch option of the El Caps more useful but in the end it'd come down to tone..

ruger9
02-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Tap has never been a big deal to me, and sometimes I think it's more PITA than it worth, for example when you've tapped in a time, and it's CLOSE so you try to tap it in again but it's still not right, you can't use the delay time knob or it overrides tap and you're even farther away.

Given a choice between presets and tap, I'll take presets no problem. Heck, my AD-999 has neither, and on it I don't MISS either! Because it's dead simple to change quickly. If it only had a modulation control...sigh...

Realfi
02-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Tap has never been a big deal to me, and sometimes I think it's more PITA than it worth, for example when you've tapped in a time, and it's CLOSE so you try to tap it in again but it's still not right, you can't use the delay time knob or it overrides tap and you're even farther away.

Given a choice between presets and tap, I'll take presets no problem. Heck, my AD-999 has neither, and on it I don't MISS either! Because it's dead simple to change quickly. If it only had a modulation control...sigh...

Yeah I don't miss tap with my AD999 either, great sounding delay. I use it as my almost always on delay at a general sort of setting. I do like to have have the tap option also for certain things though.. At present I also have an ML Jr on the board for this but I'm interested in trying something more tape-ish.

lv
02-22-2013, 09:55 AM
good thing they're only $249 ;)

really tempted in hearing opinions/demos of this against the el cap.

Ha! Yea, I missed the valentines day coupon which was 40 off 249, but to my knowledge the empress doesn't come with a power supply, so a one spot, 5 plug cable and fender t-shirt accompanied my order....

I loved the vmsd and only used the tape modes, so expectations are high.

Will compare to the El Cap and Supa Puss.

lv
02-22-2013, 09:57 AM

Thoughts on the Wampler yet? Do the new ones still have the input signal driven modulation? How is the noise level?

SirGilmour
02-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Ha! Yea, I missed the valentines day coupon which was 40 off 249, but to my knowledge the empress doesn't come with a power supply, so a one spot, 5 plug cable and fender t-shirt accompanied my order....

I loved the vmsd and only used the tape modes, so expectations are high.

Will compare to the El Cap and Supa Puss.

You and me both. I pretty much lived on tape mode.

lv
02-22-2013, 11:48 AM
You and me both. I pretty much lived on tape mode.

How did you get along with the conversion of the dry signal? I didn't care when I was running a separate wet/dry rig, but once I started going through the front end of the amp it was noticeable. I think the new tape delay is perfect featurewise and what many customers were looking for.

Now that I think of it, I only sold my VMSD to go to an Axe-FX, I don't think I've played a delay I've liked better since then, though the El Cap was close.

SirGilmour
02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
How did you get along with the conversion of the dry signal? I didn't care when I was running a separate wet/dry rig, but once I started going through the front end of the amp it was noticeable. I think the new tape delay is perfect featurewise and what many customers were looking for.

Now that I think of it, I only sold my VMSD to go to an Axe-FX, I don't think I've played a delay I've liked better since then, though the El Cap was close.

I never ran a separate wet/dry rig so its hard to say how much of a difference it made. I always had it on my board and while i did notice some high end loss, I couldnt say for sure if it was the other pedals (there was about 8) or the VMSD.

I agree this is what a lot of people have wanted. A good solid analog dry thru tape delay from empress after hearing how good the tape was on the VMSD. Its been my favorite delay to date and while the timeline was a close second, it just didnt sound as believable as the VMSD tape mode.

ruger9
02-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Thoughts on the Wampler yet? Do the new ones still have the input signal driven modulation? How is the noise level?

I don't think so on the modulation. Seems to be a pretty straightforward, predictable affair- but it's VERY nice modulation. VERY nice.

Noise? Slight hiss, don't know if that has anything to do with the delay time I was using or the modulation? I used to really have a problem with hiss, but it's slight- no more than a DMM has.

The Wampler sounds REALLY good... and it's dead simple... no secondary functions, no holding stuff down at power up to access even more functions, no different modes. You either like it or you don't. I dare say if I hadn't owned the El Cap, the Wampler may indeed do it for me. 1st day, I liked the EC better, 2nd day, the Wampler. :D You guys know how it is. I'm hoping the new Empress combines the great tape tones with the dry thru, a couple presets, and (imo) simpler operation than the EC.... I'm hoping it's obvious, because if it's not it's going to be very hard picking one of these 3 delays to keep.

Agree with above statements that the digital conversion of the dry signal is why I sold the VMSD to get the El Cap. I'm SO pumped to hear the new Empress now. Bonus: it now uses a std. 2.1mm boss-style power plug... :)

lv
02-22-2013, 12:56 PM
I don't think so on the modulation. Seems to be a pretty straightforward, predictable affair- but it's VERY nice modulation. VERY nice.

Noise? Slight hiss, don't know if that has anything to do with the delay time I was using or the modulation? I used to really have a problem with hiss, but it's slight- no more than a DMM has.

The Wampler sounds REALLY good... and it's dead simple... no secondary functions, no holding stuff down at power up to access even more functions, no different modes. You either like it or you don't. I dare say if I hadn't owned the El Cap, the Wampler may indeed do it for me. 1st day, I liked the EC better, 2nd day, the Wampler. :D You guys know how it is. I'm hoping the new Empress combines the great tape tones with the dry thru, a couple presets, and (imo) simpler operation than the EC.... I'm hoping it's obvious, because if it's not it's going to be very hard picking one of these 3 delays to keep.

Agree with above statements that the digital conversion of the dry signal is why I sold the VMSD to get the El Cap. I'm SO pumped to hear the new Empress now. Bonus: it now uses a std. 2.1mm boss-style power plug... :)

Is the Wampler capable of brighter repeats? Still PT2339 based? I like simple too - the El Cap's multiple parameters are too much for my taste.

ruger9
02-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Is the Wampler capable of brighter repeats? Still PT2339 based? I like simple too - the El Cap's multiple parameters are too much for my taste.

Still PT2399 based, but PLENTY of headroom- I couldn't get it to distort (unlike every other PT2399 delay I've tried). Capable of bright repeats, yes. Honestly, the only thing it's missing is a switch for some grit on the repeats if desired... but now you're entering Empress "old tape" territory ;)

Realfi
02-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Looking forward to hearing some comparisons with the El Cap. I don't have a tape style delay at the moment and maybe would prefer something with a little more character than my ML Jr to run next to my AD999 on my main board.

shikawkee
02-22-2013, 07:05 PM

I had the same problem with the El Cap. Just too much to deal with sometimes. And I think my tone thinned a bit but that could be rig dependent.

Looking forward to checking out the Empress.

IRG
02-22-2013, 07:19 PM
I have one coming. Psyched to get it. Always liked the tape setting on the VMSD, feel like this will be even better, without stuff I don't need/want. Will likely become my main delay. Now I have to wonder whether I'll keep my Supa Puss, which I do think highly of for the most part. If they aren't redundant, having both might be cool.

lv
02-22-2013, 07:46 PM
I have one coming. Psyched to get it. Always liked the tape setting on the VMSD, feel like this will be even better, without stuff I don't need/want. Will likely become my main delay. Now I have to wonder whether I'll keep my Supa Puss, which I do think highly of for the most part. If they aren't redundant, having both might be cool.

I'm almost positive I will return my supa (mostly because I'm a minimalist), but I think they will cover different territories. Those two would be a great combo to cover lots of analog and tape-style delay sounds.

ruger9
02-23-2013, 09:54 AM
More thoughts on the Wampler (since I brought it up)...

I'll tell you this- the new Wampler gives the El Capistan a run for it's money in SOUND. Of course the El Cap can do alot more, but the FTET (Faux Tape Echo Tap) sounds absolutely beautiful, and I've been A/B-ing them for several days and can't pick a clear winner, based on tone. I think Wampler has probably accomplished the greatest tape-sounding delay that doesn't use modeling technology (all due respect to Skreddy: I haven't owned a Skrecho, but the same kudos goes to you, based on the insane popularity of your peal alone).

The Wampler does have a SLIGHT bit of hiss, which I think all PT2399 delays do, and of course the El Cap, being a digital modeler, is dead quiet, but I can't deny the absolutely beautiful echoes coming out of the Wampler outweigh the slight amount of hiss.

ruger9
02-24-2013, 07:00 PM
The new Empress is tracking to arrive tomorrow...

lv
02-24-2013, 10:25 PM
The new Empress is tracking to arrive tomorrow...

Nice, mine too. The wampler sounds pretty impressive - did you own the last version? Are they tonally different?

You've had the el cap for awhile, so the wampler must sound pretty good...

kracdown
02-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Played it at namm. Sounded a lot like my VMSD ;)

Skoczylas
02-25-2013, 12:32 AM
This looks awesome, may be just what I'm looking forward. Looking forward to the reviews from the ones that ordered it!

vibrostrat43
02-25-2013, 12:36 AM
I want this pedal so bad, just can't decide which delay to get rid of to make room. I can't do the Timeline because it has so many options, and it's stereo and I have a stereo rig, the MLJr is like the perfect utility delay with repeats that sit perfectly in the mix, and the Quantum Leap is almost that good (for me) plus it has a really nice flanger and chorus that I use sometimes.

Tough decision...I think I'm going with getting rid of the Quantum Leap though. This pedal seems like the perfect complement to the Memory Lane Jr.

ruger9
02-25-2013, 05:43 AM
Nice, mine too. The wampler sounds pretty impressive - did you own the last version? Are they tonally different?

You've had the el cap for awhile, so the wampler must sound pretty good...

No, I've only owned this latest tap version of the Wampler. And yes- it does sound beautiful. IMO, if someone wanted a simpler tape-sounding delay, and didn't want or need things like the ability to mimic different echoes (Echoplex, Roland, etc), and didn't want to bother with trying to figure out deep functions like Tape Bias and Tape crinkle, etc.... the Wampler is totally the way to go. Simple, sounds beautiful. The Wampler killed any GAS I may have had for one of the DMM versions (XO, DMB, etc), even tho it's not quite the same thing.

ruger9
02-25-2013, 03:36 PM
(que theme to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly...)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/ruger9two/IMG_0821_zps3d5ee2b8.jpg

Adagietto
02-25-2013, 04:08 PM
(que theme to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly...)Tease!

wahahaka
02-25-2013, 04:09 PM

How does the El Cap compare to the Empress Tape Delay?

launchhawaii
02-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Yes, A Review please!

ruger9
02-25-2013, 06:34 PM
"Well, are you gonna' pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Realfi
02-25-2013, 07:50 PM

I guess as well as wanting to hear your thoughts on the El Cap v Tape Delay v Wampler after you've had more time with them I'm also curious to know if you think the AD999 still has a place for you.

ruger9
02-25-2013, 09:26 PM
I guess as well as wanting to hear your thoughts on the El Cap v Tape Delay v Wampler after you've had more time with them I'm also curious to know if you think the AD999 still has a place for you.

The AD999 is my go-to. Would NEVER sell it. NOTHING has repeats that dark & dirty & greasy, and nothing melts into your tone, even with gain, like the AD999 does. If the AD-999 had a knob for modulation, the other 3 would be sent packing.

FWIW, the El Cap and Brigadier (not pictured, but I did own it), can both do a fair impersonation of the AD-999... but there's simply nothing that can replace it.

Realfi
02-25-2013, 09:52 PM
The AD999 is my go-to. Would NEVER sell it. NOTHING has repeats that dark & dirty & greasy, and nothing melts into your tone, even with gain, like the AD999 does. If the AD-999 had a knob for modulation, the other 3 would be sent packing.

FWIW, the El Cap and Brigadier (not pictured, but I did own it), can both do a fair impersonation of the AD-999... but there's simply nothing that can replace it.

I completely agree about your tonal summation of the AD-999.

I do wonder if the reason it sounds so good though is partly because it's devoid of all those other features. Would adding the circuitry to add modulation mess with the core tone.

DraggAmps
02-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Ruger - have you owned a ML Jr or Quantum Leap? The QL is especially dark. Ive never owned an AD999, though. Just curious if you've used them and compared.

lv
02-26-2013, 12:12 AM
As a huge fan of the VMSD (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=620412) I had to pick this one up. Recently picked up a V2 El Cap (owned V1 awhile back).

Couple thoughts on the Empress Tape Delay/ETD compared to the El Cap:

El Cap can get much darker, and even on the first repeat, when set as bright as possible, rolls off a bit of treble vs the Empress which cannot get as dark as the El Cap, but can get a lot brighter/clearer.

I wish the Empress could get a touch darker for use with syrupy thick lead tones, to melt into them more - even with the unit set to "old" and low pass engaged, there is still some clarity to the repeats.

That clarity sounds wonderful on clean tones - and more closely replicates some of my benchmark tape tones (EP-3 and Fulltone Tube Tape Echo). Even in the darkest mode there is clarity - not brightness (it rolls off treble on repeat #1), but the repeats can be heard.

The modulation is beautiful. All the modes are beautiful - super musical. There was an A/B clip PGS did years back between the TTE and the VMSD, and they were indistinguishable. I did the same comparison and had similar results. The digital units don't have the same feel, but the sound is so close at a fraction of the cost and without the noise.

Results aren't surprising since this unit is effectively athe tape modes from the VMSD with analog dry and I spent years with that unit.

Love the simplicity of the switches - 3 modes, high pass/low pass, 2 levels of modulation. You can do more tones with the El Cap - you can dial in the El Cap to replicate many of the tone of the ETD, but the Empress unit has a clarity that the El Cap cannot do, and the El Cap can blend in more. Both great units - two of the top tape sims available.

ruger9
02-26-2013, 04:25 AM
Ruger - have you owned a ML Jr or Quantum Leap? The QL is especially dark. Ive never owned an AD999, though. Just curious if you've used them and compared.

No. I did have a big box DMM that I loved, but not enough delay time, and I quit investigating the DMM-style delays when the tape-style ones began appearing.

ruger9
02-26-2013, 04:37 AM
I concur wholeheartedly with lv's review above, just adding 2 things:

1) whether or not the Empress gets dark enough for you (it probably doesn't for me) is personal taste... with the Empress in Old Tape mode and using the LP filter, it is about as dark as the El Cap w/Tape Age control at 12:00, and the Wampler's Shade control about 12:00 as well. [I frequently use the El Cap's Tape Age control at 3:00) Even at these settings, the EC and FTET somehow seem to add a "roundness" or "bloom" that the Empress does not... with the Empress, CLARITY is the name of the game.

2) if you push the level control at all past unity, it gets bright- even your initial signal (not talking about the 1st repeat, talking about the initial attack) gets brighter. Way too bright for me. Not a huge deal, I don't boost with my delays anyway, but something to keep in mind if you do like delays with level/volume controls and run them past unity.

There is no "better"- I personally prefer the ability of the EC and FTET to get darker, but I prefer the preset thing the Empress has going on (I have had issues with Strymon's favorite switch, and don't like that's it not built-in). If the Empress in "old tape" mode got darker, I'd probably keep it over the others, if only for the presets. But it doesn't, and I do use darker repeats sometimes, so I don't think I'll be keeping the Empress. But it's a fantastic box, and like lv said-

El Cap can get much darker, and even on the first repeat, when set as bright as possible, rolls off a bit of treble vs the Empress which cannot get as dark as the El Cap, but can get a lot brighter/clearer.

I wish the Empress could get a touch darker for use with syrupy thick lead tones, to melt into them more - even with the unit set to "old" and low pass engaged, there is still some clarity to the repeats.

That clarity sounds wonderful on clean tones - and more closely replicates some of my benchmark tape tones (EP-3 and Fulltone Tube Tape Echo). Even in the darkest mode there is clarity - not brightness (it rolls off treble on repeat #1), but the repeats can be heard.

You can do more tones with the El Cap - you can dial in the El Cap to replicate many of the tone of the ETD, but the Empress unit has a clarity that the El Cap cannot do, and the El Cap can blend in more. Both great units - two of the top tape sims available.

...if I never pushed the El Cap's Tape Age above noon because I preferred brighter and clearer repeats, I'd choose the Empress all the way.

lv
02-26-2013, 09:38 AM
I concur wholeheartedly with lv's review above, just adding 2 things:

1) whether or not the Empress gets dark enough for you (it probably doesn't for me) is personal taste... with the Empress in Old Tape mode and using the LP filter, it is about as dark as the El Cap w/Tape Age control at 12:00, and the Wampler's Shade control about 12:00 as well. [I frequently use the El Cap's Tape Age control at 3:00) Even at these settings, the EC and FTET somehow seem to add a "roundness" or "bloom" that the Empress does not... with the Empress, CLARITY is the name of the game.

2) if you push the level control at all past unity, it gets bright- even your initial signal (not talking about the 1st repeat, talking about the initial attack) gets brighter. Way too bright for me. Not a huge deal, I don't boost with my delays anyway, but something to keep in mind if you do like delays with level/volume controls and run them past unity.

There is no "better"- I personally prefer the ability of the EC and FTET to get darker, but I prefer the preset thing the Empress has going on (I have had issues with Strymon's favorite switch, and don't like that's it not built-in). If the Empress in "old tape" mode got darker, I'd probably keep it over the others, if only for the presets. But it doesn't, and I do use darker repeats sometimes, so I don't think I'll be keeping the Empress. But it's a fantastic box, and like lv said-

...if I never pushed the El Cap's Tape Age above noon because I preferred brighter and clearer repeats, I'd choose the Empress all the way.

Ruger,

I tried pushing the level and I'm not getting any added brightness. I turned the mix to zero and bumped the level pretty high and get the same tone enaged or bypassed. Noticed that the Supa-Puss does add significant brightness (I have V2).

Can the Wampler get as bright the the Empress? The video clip on Wampler's site where the shade was max'd still seem to roll off high end on the first repeat.

The other thing I noticed last night is keeping the mode in 'new' and engaged the low pass filter seems to let more bass come through on the repeats and almost gives the impression of being darker/thicker. Seems like the old mode rolls of top and bottom.

Still playing around with it but am definitely keeping it. My 'clean' delay tones are more important than my dirty ones, so while I wish it could get a bit more syrupy - the cleaner repeats are gorgeous.

One other thing to note - neither the Empress or the El Cap can do really dirty repeats. Love the grit you can get from the TC Flashback's EP-3 toneprint, as well as the Supa Puss. Even though I plan to return the Supa, it really held its own vs the Empress in terms of sound quality and flexibility.

lv
02-26-2013, 09:44 AM
couple other thoughts - the box is very small, smaller than it appears in the photos. also, the repeats can be dialed in very close to self oscillation and it behaves very predictably. the moving tape head effect (called 'blips' in the manual) sounds just like when you move the head on the fulltone. Not sure why the time knob works backwards though - I don't love that.

IRG
02-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Ruger,

I tried pushing the level and I'm not getting any added brightness. I turned the mix to zero and bumped the level pretty high and get the same tone enaged or bypassed. Noticed that the Supa-Puss does add significant brightness (I have V2).

Can the Wampler get as bright the the Empress? The video clip on Wampler's site where the shade was max'd still seem to roll off high end on the first repeat.

The other thing I noticed last night is keeping the mode in 'new' and engaged the low pass filter seems to let more bass come through on the repeats and almost gives the impression of being darker/thicker. Seems like the old mode rolls of top and bottom.

Still playing around with it but am definitely keeping it. My 'clean' delay tones are more important than my dirty ones, so while I wish it could get a bit more syrupy - the cleaner repeats are gorgeous.

One other thing to note - neither the Empress or the El Cap can do really dirty repeats. Love the grit you can get from the TC Flashback's EP-3 toneprint, as well as the Supa Puss. Even though I plan to return the Supa, it really held its own vs the Empress in terms of sound quality and flexibility.

You don't find the Empress and the Supa Puss redundant do you? I have the SP, with the Tape Delay on the way. If they are, I might very well sell it and get the Alter Ego as well, seems like a killer 2 delay punch. I have an M5 as well right now, which I do like for some delays, but I use it for other stuff too.

ruger9
02-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Weird... my unit definitely gets brighter... with the mix to full dry and the level bumped up.

The box is smaller than the VMSD was. I wasn't expecting that, but it's a nice surprise.

I won't keep multiple tape echo pedals- I'm trying to simplify- so I will be choosing just one. They are ALL awesome enough to keep, but for me would be redundant enough to only need one.

SirGilmour
02-26-2013, 10:29 AM
I have a noob question,

Would the internal headroom switch have anything to do with brightness? I know its for headroom but would changing it affect brightness at all?

ruger9
02-26-2013, 10:34 AM
I have a noob question,

Would the internal headroom switch have anything to do with brightness? I know its for headroom but would changing it affect brightness at all?

I was wondering the same thing, but haven't attempted to test the theory yet.

SirGilmour
02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Shoot, well let me know if you try it. Im curious

lv
02-26-2013, 11:18 AM
I would actually prefer some added brightness (like the supa does) so I will play around with that switch tonight and report back.

lv
02-26-2013, 11:22 AM
You don't find the Empress and the Supa Puss redundant do you? I have the SP, with the Tape Delay on the way. If they are, I might very well sell it and get the Alter Ego as well, seems like a killer 2 delay punch. I have an M5 as well right now, which I do like for some delays, but I use it for other stuff too.

I would say this - they sound different and are capable of different things - the supa does a really convincing dmm tone, with a little less bottom end in the repeats, but the ability to have more clarity - it is also substantially quieter than any big box/small box/dmmtt I ever owned. Tape delays and DMMs are my favorite delay tones, so this combo could cover everything I would want.

That said, I typically do not keep multiple delays boxes around - but if I did, I would have something capable of getting darker and thicker. For really creamy overdrive tones.

shikawkee
02-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Brighter is not normally the first word I think of when "tape" is involved.

SirGilmour
02-26-2013, 11:39 AM
I would actually prefer some added brightness (like the supa does) so I will play around with that switch tonight and report back.

Please do. Maybe its just because im used to my carbon copy but for my lead work I prefer a darker delay. Do you think the TD is brighter than the VMSD? I really liked that one.

ruger9
02-26-2013, 12:18 PM
I would say this - they sound different and are capable of different things - the supa does a really convincing dmm tone, .

That's interesting because I had the Echo-Puss, and even for DMM tones, the El Cap was much better. Echo Puss was good, but the El Cap sounded more like a DMM to me, when set that way.

I'm finding the Wampler also does excellent in that arena.

I'll check back with reports on the maximum brightness/clarity of the Wampler vs the ETD later.

ruger9
02-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Please do. Maybe its just because im used to my carbon copy but for my lead work I prefer a darker delay. Do you think the TD is brighter than the VMSD? I really liked that one.

This is one I can only answer from memory, and from "guessing" that the same algorithms were used... I'm "guessing" the ETD should sound extremely close to the VMSD.

lv
02-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Brighter is not normally the first word I think of when "tape" is involved.

You ever play a fulltone tte or ep-3? Demagnetized heads and new tape and they are pretty bright and clear.

lv
02-26-2013, 12:59 PM

sorry - it has been a long time since I owned one. if anything I thought the vmsd was able to get darker on the repeats, but could also be that my taste has changed.

shikawkee
02-26-2013, 01:01 PM
You ever play a fulltone tte or ep-3? Demagnetized heads and new tape and they are pretty bright and clear.

Nope, but I'll take your word for it.
The "tape" pedals I have played/tried were not bright for the most part incl. the El Cap (though I didn't like what it did to my tone it wasn't bright per se. Thin is more like it).

ruger9
02-26-2013, 04:21 PM
The Empress is capable of quite a bit more brightness then the El Cap or the Wampler, even with their "tone" controls turned full "bright".

Which makes sense, since the EC and FTET can also get alot darker- the entire tonal ranges of the EC and FTET are shifted down/warmer. If the Empress had the SAME warmer tonal range as the other two, I'd choose it without much thought... not because it sounds better (they all sound great), but for the simplicity of the switches and the ability to have 3 presets. But unfortunately, it's too bright for me. It's the closest I've ever heard to the greatest modulation I've ever heard: the Roland RE-501 and the Blue Coconut Echoverb.

Going to mess with the headroom switch now, see if it makes any difference (it shouldn't). It doesn't.

I have decided the Empress has the most beautiful modulation of them all. Some of that is due to the increased high end; more high end = more noticeable modulation. Even at their brightest, the Wampler and El Cap fall just shy of the amazing modulation of the Empress.

...hmm.... I'd be 1st in line for an Empress v.2 "dark" version. :)

lv
02-26-2013, 10:44 PM
The Empress is capable of quite a bit more brightness then the El Cap or the Wampler, even with their "tone" controls turned full "bright".

Which makes sense, since the EC and FTET can also get alot darker- the entire tonal ranges of the EC and FTET are shifted down/warmer. If the Empress had the SAME warmer tonal range as the other two, I'd choose it without much thought... not because it sounds better (they all sound great), but for the simplicity of the switches and the ability to have 3 presets. But unfortunately, it's too bright for me. It's the closest I've ever heard to the greatest modulation I've ever heard: the Roland RE-501 and the Blue Coconut Echoverb.

Going to mess with the headroom switch now, see if it makes any difference (it shouldn't). It doesn't.

I have decided the Empress has the most beautiful modulation of them all. Some of that is due to the increased high end; more high end = more noticeable modulation. Even at their brightest, the Wampler and El Cap fall just shy of the amazing modulation of the Empress.

...hmm.... I'd be 1st in line for an Empress v.2 "dark" version. :)

shifted down, describes the differences perfectly.

wtf is a blue coconut echoverb? dude you have tried too many pedals :)

ruger9
02-27-2013, 05:42 AM
Not a pedal...

Blue Coconut Echoverb

swWd4P8kkUc

ruger9
02-27-2013, 12:49 PM
OK I THINK THIS IS MY FINAL VERDICT ON THE NEW EMPRESS:

Absolutely beautiful, clear, wonderfully modulated echoes… sounds like a pristine tape echo. But even on Old Tape mode, there simply isn't really any "smear" or "grease"… it's just a tonal change on the repeats. The official line is "adds compression and dirt", but honestly I hear neither, and think even the Wampler adds more smear/grease with it's PT2399 chip than the Empress has (and the El Cap, with it's Tape Age, Tape Bias, and Tape Crinkle parameters, can add a ton of smear/grease.) Plus, it's too bright for my personal taste, the Wampler and El Cap gets bright enough for me.

The El Cap is still the king of digital tape sims, even tho I still long for something simpler.

The Wampler, imo, is more in the DMM camp than the actual tape echo camp BUT- it's just as beautifully modulated as the other 2 (altho the Empress and El Cap do have a bit more 3D on the modulation). And, unless you're specifically looking to be able to adjust the amount of Bias or Crinkle or Low-End Contour, the Wampler does the job very admirably. Personally, even tho the Empress IS more like tape than the Wampler, I'd choose the Wampler, for it's down-shifted tonal range and natural smear/grease on the repeats.

If you're after a NEW tape echo/pristine/TTE type of thing, get the Empress. If you're after a vintage Roland Re-301/501 type of thing, get the El Capistan. If you want something much simpler than either and still awesome-sounding (and cheaper), get the Wampler. I have no idea how well the El Cap mimics an Echoplex, but I'm fairly sure the Empress simply cannot, based on the characteristically smeared and mojo-laden repeats of all the EP's I've heard... Skreddy probably nailed that one years ago.

Again- if Empress ever released a v.2 "Dark" version, I have little doubt I would choose it over the Wampler or the El Cap.

Adagietto
02-27-2013, 01:56 PM
@ruger9: Thanks for sharing your thoughts and analysis. I'm not much of a delay guy and am considering the Empress and the Wampler. Presets are more important to me than tap, but I think I prefer dark -- even very dark. It's still almost a coin-flip.

ruger9
02-27-2013, 02:25 PM
@ruger9: Thanks for sharing your thoughts and analysis. I'm not much of a delay guy and am considering the Empress and the Wampler. Presets are more important to me than tap, but I think I prefer dark -- even very dark. It's still almost a coin-flip.

Dark- Wampler.

Very Dark- El Cap.

Empress shouldn't be on your list if "dark" is the #1 requirement.

IRG
02-27-2013, 02:26 PM
I thought my VMSD was pretty dark/dirty sounding delay. Is the Tape delay much different sounding then? Excited to hear it either way, and a bit brighter will be better to my ears. El Cap was a good one too, but in the end I thought it sounded more digital than others. Something slightly sterile about it. Still cool though.

ruger9
02-27-2013, 02:47 PM
I thought my VMSD was pretty dark/dirty sounding delay. Is the Tape delay much different sounding then? . .

I don't think any of us can answer that, as we sold our VMSDs and are going on memory alone. At some point, someone will put up a video of the VMSD and the ETD.

IRG
02-27-2013, 03:14 PM
I don't think any of us can answer that, as we sold our VMSDs and are going on memory alone. At some point, someone will put up a video of the VMSD and the ETD.

True. I try not and compare pedals I used to own, to those I currently own or are demoing for reviews, as memory is not a good way to form any hard conclusions. But sometimes certain memories do stick out more than others. I believe I didn't keep the VMSD long enough the first time. This one will stick around for quite a while.

ruger9
02-27-2013, 03:20 PM
I will say, I sold the VMSD and kept the El Cap for 2 reasons: the EC could go darker if desired, and the EC had analog dry thru. The fact that it was also $150 cheaper helped (but can't say that with the ETD).

lv
02-27-2013, 03:53 PM
OK I THINK THIS IS MY FINAL VERDICT ON THE NEW EMPRESS:

Absolutely beautiful, clear, wonderfully modulated echoes… sounds like a pristine tape echo. But even on Old Tape mode, there simply isn't really any "smear" or "grease"… it's just a tonal change on the repeats. The official line is "adds compression and dirt", but honestly I hear neither, and think even the Wampler adds more smear/grease with it's PT2399 chip than the Empress has (and the El Cap, with it's Tape Age, Tape Bias, and Tape Crinkle parameters, can add a ton of smear/grease.) Plus, it's too bright for my personal taste, the Wampler and El Cap gets bright enough for me.

The El Cap is still the king of digital tape sims, even tho I still long for something simpler.

The Wampler, imo, is more in the DMM camp than the actual tape echo camp BUT- it's just as beautifully modulated as the other 2 (altho the Empress and El Cap do have a bit more 3D on the modulation). And, unless you're specifically looking to be able to adjust the amount of Bias or Crinkle or Low-End Contour, the Wampler does the job very admirably. Personally, even tho the Empress IS more like tape than the Wampler, I'd choose the Wampler, for it's down-shifted tonal range and natural smear/grease on the repeats.

If you're after a NEW tape echo/pristine/TTE type of thing, get the Empress. If you're after a vintage Roland Re-301/501 type of thing, get the El Capistan. If you want something much simpler than either and still awesome-sounding (and cheaper), get the Wampler. I have no idea how well the El Cap mimics an Echoplex, but I'm fairly sure the Empress simply cannot, based on the characteristically smeared and mojo-laden repeats of all the EP's I've heard... Skreddy probably nailed that one years ago.

Again- if Empress ever released a v.2 "Dark" version, I have little doubt I would choose it over the Wampler or the El Cap.

I agree with most of this - the TTE is my tonal benchmark, and I do believe no other pedal does those tones better than the Empress - though even the TTE with the tone control rolled off completely gets darker than the Empress. I do here/feel some comrpession in old tape mode, but agree there isn't any dirt I can hear - though I didn't hear much dirt in the El Cap either - was pretty subtle and why I eventually sold mine. Different tone but man the supa did dirty repeats extremely well.

Only thing I want to highlight is the Empress is not bright when set to old mode and the low pass engaged - it is only brighter than the el cap - there is still some treble roll off. I need to do a quick clip letting some notes repeat a bit so you can hear the rolloff.

I think the Empress great, but I do wish it added more dirt and got darker.

lv
02-27-2013, 03:56 PM
True. I try not and compare pedals I used to own, to those I currently own or are demoing for reviews, as memory is not a good way to form any hard conclusions. But sometimes certain memories do stick out more than others. I believe I didn't keep the VMSD long enough the first time. This one will stick around for quite a while.

I thought the vmsd was darker than the tape delay. Here's a clip of the vmsd in old mode - this sounds darker to me than the tape delay does in the room.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8364928

ruger9
02-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Only thing I want to highlight is the Empress is not bright when set to old mode and the low pass engaged - it is only brighter than the el cap - there is still some treble roll off. I need to do a quick clip letting some notes repeat a bit so you can hear the rolloff.

I think the Empress great, but I do wish it added more dirt and got darker.

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear on that...?

And to the 2nd comment, ditto.

BluesHarp
02-27-2013, 04:21 PM
lv, ruger9... doesn't one of you have the echoczar/angelbaby or am I thinking of someone else here? You guys may have sold one in the past. I have one coming in a few weeks and im jus curious. ( I know its in the analog camp and not in this digital conversation of these pedals, but we are talking dark warm delays.. )

ruger9
02-27-2013, 04:34 PM
lv, ruger9... doesn't one of you have the echoczar/angelbaby or am I thinking of someone else here? You guys may have sold one in the past. I have one coming in a few weeks and im jus curious. ( I know its in the analog camp and not in this digital conversation of these pedals, but we are talking dark warm delays.. )

Not me.

BluesHarp
02-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks.. I'll pm lv.

IRG
02-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Got mine tonight. Sounds great. How's that for a review? So far I'm digging it quite a bit. I wanted to see how comparable it is to the Supa Puss. Really don't sound similar at all, which is a good thing. Many more repeats available on the TD. Doesn't have the same amount of warble/tape noise, it is fairly cleaner overall and while I wouldn't say it's bright sounding, it isn't dark. But just right for me. Switches are a very soft touch, I like them. How do you set presets? Mine didn't have any instructions. #101 of this batch.

ruger9
02-27-2013, 08:07 PM
IRG- youtube. Demo video on presets. You didn't get a manual?

cacibi
02-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Got mine tonight. Sounds great. How's that for a review? So far I'm digging it quite a bit. I wanted to see how comparable it is to the Supa Puss. Really don't sound similar at all, which is a good thing. Many more repeats available on the TD. Doesn't have the same amount of warble/tape noise, it is fairly cleaner overall and while I wouldn't say it's bright sounding, it isn't dark. But just right for me. Switches are a very soft touch, I like them. How do you set presets? Mine didn't have any instructions. #101 of this batch.

You have to go into advanced configuration mode by powering on the unit while holding down both switches. Hold down both switches again to exit.

All the Empress manuals are available via the product pages on their website.

IRG
02-27-2013, 09:33 PM
You have to go into advanced configuration mode by powering on the unit while holding down both switches. Hold down both switches again to exit.

All the Empress manuals are available via the product pages on their website.

Yeah I haven't checked yet, but I'm sure there's a manual on their website. Not sure why it can't printed out for the customer, but whatever. I don't generally need/use presets anyway, but I might in this case, just to eliminate the switch tweaking I seem to do. It's not like there's a huge variety of tones out of this pedal, there isn't. It's sort of a fifty shades of gray thing. Haha. I'm tired, I better go...

IRG
02-27-2013, 09:36 PM
IRG- youtube. Demo video on presets. You didn't get a manual?

Did you get one?

ruger9
02-28-2013, 06:37 AM
Did you get one?

Yeah. A small booklet.

IRG
02-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Yeah. A small booklet.

Yeah I sort of expected one, but no big deal. I downloaded one just a moment ago. Did you create any presets? If so, what did you create?

ruger9
02-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Yeah I sort of expected one, but no big deal. I downloaded one just a moment ago. Did you create any presets? If so, what did you create?

Haven't even messed with the presets. Just trying to decide if I'm keeping it or not. I did compare true-bypass/buffered, and I prefer buffered. When in TB mode, I found the level had to be raised some to get it back to unity gain, introducing the brightness of the original signal I discussed earlier. But in buffered mode, the level can be set at noon for unity, and no unwanted added brightness was heard.

I would love to keep all 3 (Empress, Wampler, El Cap)... but I really don't need THREE tape delays... I was hoping the decision on which one to keep would have been easier, but they are all so great it is a very hard choice.

lv
02-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Haven't even messed with the presets. Just trying to decide if I'm keeping it or not. I did compare true-bypass/buffered, and I prefer buffered. When in TB mode, I found the level had to be raised some to get it back to unity gain, introducing the brightness of the original signal I discussed earlier. But in buffered mode, the level can be set at noon for unity, and no unwanted added brightness was heard.

I would love to keep all 3 (Empress, Wampler, El Cap)... but I really don't need THREE tape delays... I was hoping the decision on which one to keep would have been easier, but they are all so great it is a very hard choice.

In TB mode, that is when you were getting the brightness? If so, that is what I need to change, mine has trails when bypassed, so I assume that means mine is in buffered mode. I need the additional brightness.

Will be interesting to see which one you keep.

ruger9
02-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Yes... TB mode = have to raise level = added brightness. It ships in buffered mode.

You need MORE brightness? I thought you said you wish it went darker???

lv
02-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Yes... TB mode = have to raise level = added brightness. It ships in buffered mode.

You need MORE brightness? I thought you said you wish it went darker???

I mean the brightness on the dry tone - that is what I would like to increase. I wish the repeats could get darker and dirtier.

ruger9
02-28-2013, 11:06 AM
I mean the brightness on the dry tone - that is what I would like to increase. I wish the repeats could get darker and dirtier.

Are you finding some tone suck? Is your dry signal somehow not the same coming out the others side?

Mine is the same, in buffered mode with the level at noon. As I said, in TB mode, with the level at noon, I'm not getting unity volume, so I have to bump up the level to 1:00, and that's where the brightness is added.

bobbymack
02-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Morning gents..

Thought I'd chip in as I've sold my El Cap in favor of the Wampler FTET...plus I've had a scary number of delays in the past so yes, My name is Bob and...

The El Cap is a truly remarkable engineering feat that simply offers far more than I need, and also lacks the warmth and immediate richness I hear with the Wampler. The Wampler is simple, and melts into the mix beautifully while still providing the depth and ambience you're looking for, if that makes sense. It stays out of the way while you are playing, and something I can't say about many of the others I've played. The "Shape" tone control on the Wampler is wonderful, affecting only the tone of the repeats...I keep mine around 10 o'clock usually.

Issues for me? I find the Tap feature pretty finicky on the Wampler to the extent I'm not sure its not defective or I'm not doing something correctly...? Dunno if the "soft" switch is temperamental or what, but I often find myself retapping which I can't recall having to do with other tap pedals I've played (I do like tap alot). Thankfully it sits in the mix so well regardless of how accurate your tap is that its been more of an irritant than an issue so far...

Dirt. I know it's a Tape Echo, but there are times when the "soft distortion" at the end of notes is so crunchy / crackly and loud that it's distracting in a non good way. The manual (and Wampler tech support) say it gets noisier as you slow the delay time which it does, but it often gets too dirty for my taste at noon on the time knob...and it is aggravated when there is a dirt pedal engaged upstream. It is also far more noticeable with humbucker guitars which makes me wonder if its just a headroom issue?? Noon (~350 ms) is just not slow enough for me to appreciate the amount of tape noise added. And the Shade only does so much to mediate it. I would love to see Brian address this in an adjustable way, maybe another mini knob? And to me it seems finicky, like the tap feature. Sometimes the tape noise is so pronounced I shut it off, other times with the same settings its totally agreeable...????

Makes me wonder if I'd appreciate the "cleaner / brighter" character of the Empress? All input welcome please!

I do really love the richness of the Wampler tone, especially with the Shape and Echo (time) knobs below noon. My go to setting is Repeats 9 o'clock, Level 11, Shade 8, and Echoes (time) Noon (or tapped).

I think I'm going to ask Brian about the headroom issue, because again it is a far bigger issue with humbuckers...

$.02

ruger9
02-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Bob,

Even tho the Empress is brighter than the Wampler, and definitely can NOT get as warm as the Wampler with the shade control at 10:00, the repeats do still blend right in wonderfully. But the "warmth and immediate richness" the Wampler has, imo, isn't there with the Empress. Altho I don't know if it would actually matter to you once you heard it, because it's such an awesome delay. The repeats melt in every bit as good as the Wampler and El Cap.

As for the distortion on the repeats, that's a common complaint with the PT2399 chip. The Wampler has less of it than I have heard in other delays, and sometimes it's kind of nice, adding to the degradation of the repeats. But I know what you mean- for recording or just sitting in your bedroom, it can sometimes get a little annoying.

The Empress, being a digital modeler, is of course dead silent ... as is the El Cap.

Oh... I just saw... shade a 8:00? NEVER gonna' happen on the Empress. But, as I said, the repeats still melt in beautifully, despite them being brighter than the Wampler's at 8:00

bobbymack
02-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks Ruger

Yeah I had a feeling there were built in limitations with that chip creating the tradeoff necessary. I only go to 8 o'clock on Shade with my Les Paul and its a compensating thing -- if the noise weren't so pronounced I'd raise the Shade higher...with Fender guitars I keep it at 10 or 11....

Think the Empress may be worth a shot. I can see where some guys might dig the lofi aspect of the 2399, but its a bit too much for me...

ruger9
02-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Bob,

What did you NOT like about the El Cap? Is it the "immediate warmth" thing? Because I find the El Cap and Wampler BOTH have it. And even if you can tell the El Cap has less of it, then Empress has even less than that.

Not trying to discourage you from buying the Empress- as I have said, they are ALL great- and you won't know for sure until you own one- but that "warmth" thing you mentioned, imo, the Empress has the least of all 3.

bobbymack
02-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Yeah, that and the overly tweakable scheme was just too much with mini toggles getting inadvertently switched or whatever...it did have some GREAT tones in it, but overall it had a certain "digitalness" to it that I don't hear with the Wampler

I'll likely stay with the Wampler as it is fully usable for me if I keep the Shade down with humbuckers...

lv
02-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Are you finding some tone suck? Is your dry signal somehow not the same coming out the others side?

Mine is the same, in buffered mode with the level at noon. As I said, in TB mode, with the level at noon, I'm not getting unity volume, so I have to bump up the level to 1:00, and that's where the brightness is added.

It sounds exactly the same to my ears. Did not realize how much brightness the supa was adding until I compared them, though I prefer the added brightness the supe brings when on. I need to mess with the bypass mode and the level switch on the board.

WHen is your return period up on the empress? I assume that one is going back regardless and you're between the wampler and the strymon?

lv
02-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Morning gents..

Thought I'd chip in as I've sold my El Cap in favor of the Wampler FTET...plus I've had a scary number of delays in the past so yes, My name is Bob and...

The El Cap is a truly remarkable engineering feat that simply offers far more than I need, and also lacks the warmth and immediate richness I hear with the Wampler. The Wampler is simple, and melts into the mix beautifully while still providing the depth and ambience you're looking for, if that makes sense. It stays out of the way while you are playing, and sounds equally great playing alone or with the band, something I can't say about many of the others I've played. The "Shape" tone control on the Wampler is wonderful, affecting only the tone of the repeats...I keep mine around 10 o'clock usually.

Issues for me? I find the Tap feature pretty finicky on the Wampler to the extent I'm not sure its not defective or I'm not doing something correctly...? Dunno if the "soft" switch is temperamental or what, but I often find myself retapping which I can't recall having to do with other tap pedals I've played (I do like tap alot). Thankfully it sits in the mix so well regardless of how accurate your tap is that its been more of an irritant than an issue so far...

Dirt. I know it's a Tape Echo, but there are times when the "soft distortion" at the end of notes is so crunchy / crackly and loud that it's distracting in a non good way. The manual (and Wampler tech support) say it gets noisier as you slow the delay time which it does, but it often gets too dirty for my taste at noon on the time knob...and it is aggravated when there is a dirt pedal engaged upstream. It is also far more noticeable with humbucker guitars which makes me wonder if its just a headroom issue?? Noon (~350 ms) is just not slow enough for me to appreciate the amount of tape noise added. And the Shade only does so much to mediate it. I would love to see Brian address this in an adjustable way, maybe another mini knob? And to me it seems finicky, like the tap feature. Sometimes the tape noise is so pronounced I shut it off, other times with the same settings its totally agreeable...????

Makes me wonder if I'd appreciate the "cleaner / brighter" character of the Empress? All input welcome please!

I do really love the richness of the Wampler tone, especially with the Shape and Echo (time) knobs below noon. My go to setting is Repeats 9 o'clock, Level 11, Shade 8, and Echoes (time) Noon (or tapped).

I think I'm going to ask Brian about the headroom issue, because again it is a far bigger issue with humbuckers...

$.02

Bob,

Are you set on tape style delays? I found the supa puss, with its grit and tone controls to be very tweakable. Might be something to try. I'll try to get a clip of the empress td together soon so you can here the level of warmth it has. What other delays have you tried? I've been through a few as well.

Lou

jAcKoFsPeEd
02-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Throw the Memory Lane Jr. and Quantum Leap into the mix.....those are TGP favorites, though their not tape simulators.

IRG
02-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Bob,

Are you set on tape style delays? I found the supa puss, with its grit and tone controls to be very tweakable. Might be something to try. I'll try to get a clip of the empress td together soon so you can here the level of warmth it has. What other delays have you tried? I've been through a few as well.

Lou

I have both the Supa Puss and the Empress TD on my board right now. Very different from one another. You can definitely hear the modulation on the SP more clearly, as you can dial in separately both the speed and depth which is nice. The tone control can do just that, give you more highs, or cut them for a darker tone. The # of repeats is a lot less though on the SP, and I think there is actually more warmth with the Empress.

As far as warmth goes from the El Cap and the Empress, and I'm going off of distant memory now on the El Cap, but I found it less warmth, more sterile than the Empress. It's a cool pedal, but something about the TD seems more "real". I don't find it that bright either, and on the LP filter I like how it gets a bit darker, but it's definitely not murky dark ever.

I have some more playing around with the Empress for sure before I come to any firm conclusions, but I'm pretty sure it will stay around. I'm curious about the Wampler, but the 2399 chip/shorter delay time tends to aggravate me after a while, so I likely won't go that route. I've also been through quite a few delays.

IRG
02-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Upon rereading my last post, I'm starting to wonder how "warmth" is defined when talking about delays. I know the common theme is that analog delays are warmer than digital, but that doesn't necessarily hold true now. Does rolling off the highs create warmth? An increase in mids with a decrease in bass/highs? Not sure I have the answer, more curious than anything.

ruger9
02-28-2013, 02:44 PM
WHen is your return period up on the empress? I assume that one is going back regardless and you're between the wampler and the strymon?

That's what I assumed over the last couple days as well, but I can't stop playing ANY of them... so it's quite possible I'll end up losing the return option and will have to sell whatever I don't keep. But I'd rather do that and be sure than to have regrets because I'm rushing a decision...

The Empress, altho it doesn't go as dark as I'd like, I can't deny, sounds every bit as gorgeous as the other two. And the repeats blend right in. And it has presets. Man, this is a tough call...

IRG
02-28-2013, 02:45 PM
That's what I assumed over the last couple days as well, but I can't stop playing ANY of them... so it's quite possible I'll end up losing the return option and will have to sell whatever I don't keep. But I'd rather do that and be sure than to have regrets because I'm rushing a decision...

The Empress, altho it doesn't go as dark as I'd like, I can't deny, sounds every bit as gorgeous as the other two. And the repeats blend right in. And it has presets. Man, this is a tough call...

The repeats really do blend in well on the Empress, best of any delay I've ever owned. Glad it has both a mix and volume controls, and that they work so well together.

ruger9
02-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Bob,

Lou

I was excited about the Supa, with it's seperate "grit" and "tone" controls, but I had an Echo-Puss, which, while nice, wasn't as nice as the 3 delays I have now... and the soundclips and demos and reports on the Supa didn't sound that great, so I never bothered to try one.

wahahaka
02-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Before you return any of them, can we hear some side-by-side comparison clips?

ruger9
02-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Upon rereading my last post, I'm starting to wonder how "warmth" is defined when talking about delays. I know the common theme is that analog delays are warmer than digital, but that doesn't necessarily hold true now. Does rolling off the highs create warmth? An increase in mids with a decrease in bass/highs? Not sure I have the answer, more curious than anything.

When *I* am talking about warmth or darkness, I'm talking about how dark the repeats get... which is most definitely a roll-off of high end. I don't think it's a roll-off of low-end as much; altho that middy high AND low roll-off is also very cool, as that's what helps the repeats blend right in. Of the 3 I'm demoing, the Wampler has the "middy-est" repeats of all of them.

the Empress repeats, even tho the high end is being rolled off, just retain so damn much of their pristine-ness. Where the El Cap definitely has some degradation in there... not dirt so much, but certainly more than the Empress has (in old tape mode)

ruger9
02-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Before you return any of them, can we hear some side-by-side comparison clips?

I'd love to, but the only thing I have to record such clips is my macbook internal mic or my iphone. I have a recording app on the iphone that's decent quality, but it's audio only.

IRG
02-28-2013, 02:52 PM
I like the Supa, but in comparing it against the Empress last night, I felt less impressed with it now. I like having the gain up to about noon at least so it can really be heard well, but then your number of repeats needs to be reduced or it will oscillate too easily. So now I'm not sure whether it will stay around or not. It does have lovely modulation on it though. I could always stick a DMM back on the board, but it's white noise and short delay times annoy me. If I sell the SP, I might go back to something like the TCE Alter Ego that has a number of good delays under the hood, or maybe a Repeater which was a favorite of mine years ago.

ruger9
02-28-2013, 02:55 PM
The DMM might still be the king of modulation for me. But I agree- the short delay time makes it useless for me.

The Empress might have the most beautiful mod I've heard SINCE my big-box DMM, with the Wampler and El Cap (and I also owned a Brigadier) fighting it out for 2nd place.

I really can't get over how authentic the mod sounds on the Empress.

wahahaka
02-28-2013, 03:00 PM
I'd love to, but the only thing I have to record such clips is my macbook internal mic or my iphone. I have a recording app on the iphone that's decent quality, but it's audio only.

Audio would be just fine. I figure that should save you a lot of typing and explaining the tone here. :)

And since everyone's definition of "too bright" or "too dark" is different, we can chime in more after listening to the clips.

BTW, I'm very interested in the Empress TD. On the edge of buying it.

ruger9
02-28-2013, 03:06 PM
And since everyone's definition of "too bright" or "too dark" is different, we can chime in more after listening to the clips.

BTW, I'm very interested in the Empress TD. On the edge of buying it.

There is no such thing as "too"... it's all a matter of personal preference. "bright" and "dark" are only being used in RELATION to the other pedals being compared. So that other people who may own some of the older pedals will have a point of reference.

For $249, anyone contemplating pulling the trigger on the Empress should do so. It's not like it's the $449 VMSD. And I can tell you right now- especially those of you have been chasing this "tape delay" thing for awhile- you're never going to know by reading these threads. ALL of the pedals sound so GREAT you are going to have to own them to find out for yourself. Pull the trigger.

ruger9
02-28-2013, 06:20 PM
OK THE WAMPLER IS OUT. It sucks, because if it wasn't for the noise on the repeats (which DOES matter when you are playing quiet, beautiful, sustained chords), I'd choose it over the El Cap and Empress. It's modulation is gorgeous, I have now decided I actually PREFER it to the El Cap's modulation, it's shade knob has the perfect tonal range, and it's dead simple. No tweaking. Love it. Damn PT2399 chip.

bobbymack
02-28-2013, 06:29 PM
OK THE WAMPLER IS OUT. It sucks, because if it wasn't for the noise on the repeats (which DOES matter when you are playing quiet, beautiful, sustained chords), I'd choose it over the El Cap and Empress. It's modulation is gorgeous, I have now decided I actually PREFER it to the El Cap's modulation, it's shade knob has the perfect tonal range, and it's dead simple. No tweaking. Love it. Damn PT2399 chip.
Think we're on the same page here, but in a band context the noise doesn't matter so much...

I'll likely try the Empress and see. I still like the Wampler, PT2399 and all, better than I did the El Cap and for recording I have my Providence Delay 80s.

ruger9
02-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Think we're on the same page here, but in a band context the noise doesn't matter so much...

Agreed there.

I'll likely try the Empress and see. I still like the Wampler, PT2399 and all, better than I did the El Cap and for recording I have my Providence Delay 80s.

I gotta' say, I like the Wampler that much too- and the El Cap is ALOT closer to the Wampler than the Empress is. If you actually love the Wampler, and then like the Empress better than you liked the El Cap, I'll be surprised. I look forward to your report.

bobbymack
02-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Well, I've written to Brian @ Wampler to see what he thinks about the headroom / noise issue...it would be awesome if a different chip could be less noisy without killing the great tone of the pedal. With humbuckers or upstream dirt pedal engaged making it worse though, it seems like a headroom issue. Would the chip be responsible for that as well???

ruger9
02-28-2013, 07:09 PM
I don't think the fuzz on the repeats is a headroom issue, (altho I'm not a builder, so I don't know), I think it's a characteristic of the PT2399 chip. Every single PT2399 delay I've owned does it. I wonder if the Skreddy does it? I think that's a PT2399 delay, but I've never owned it.

ruger9
02-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Been sitting here all evening, twisting knobs, listening....

IT'S COMING DOWN TO THIS:

-NO ONE PEDAL HAS IT ALL (for me)
-THE LESSER OF THE 3 "EVILS"

I prefer the Wampler, but the noise is a deal-breaker.

I prefer the Empress 2nd, because of the modulation, and the presets, but it doesn't get dark enough, and feels "most digital" (altho- perhaps I'm simply mistaking "pristine" for "digital")… I'm sure I'd miss the warmth of the others…

so that leaves the El Cap, being the lesser of the 3 evils… not saying the El Cap comes in 3rd by any means… but by default, it's the only one I can "live with", I guess you could say. All 3 are stellar, with the El Cap and Empress effectively tied, but with different tonal ranges, and the Wampler in 3rd only because of it's PT2399 "fuzz on the repeats" issue.

AND- I stand by my earlier conclusion that if the Empress could go as dark as the Wampler/El Cap…. I'd very very likely pick it over the others.

So it looks like the winner, for me, the lesser of the 3 evils because nothing's perfect is, the El Cap.

....until somebody comes out with something else :p

[Empress Tape Echo v.2 "Dark Roast']

empress_effects
02-28-2013, 10:42 PM
@IRG You definitely should have gotten a manual. Sorry, we screwed that up. Email me at steve@empresseffects.com and I'll mail you one. You're right, the tape delay doesn't have a huge variety of sounds, but you should check out the blip mode. It's pretty interesting.

@ruger9 Would you mind emailing me at steve@empresseffects.com or calling me at 888-676-1853 to detail your problem with the true bypass/unity gain? If it's a defect, we can probably fix it. I have a feeling the brightness is happening cause when bypassed the signal isn't buffered, and when engaged, the signal is buffered. Unbuffered pickups usually result in high frequencies being diminished.

As for the output knob changing the brightness of the pedal, I'm thinking that shouldn't happen. I'll have to run some highly-scientific tests to find out. Also, the headroom switch shouldn't affect brightness.

Steve

DraggAmps
03-01-2013, 03:24 AM
The DMM might still be the king of modulation for me. But I agree- the short delay time makes it useless for me.

The Empress might have the most beautiful mod I've heard SINCE my big-box DMM, with the Wampler and El Cap (and I also owned a Brigadier) fighting it out for 2nd place.

I really can't get over how authentic the mod sounds on the Empress.

Man, I thought I had this thing ruled out since I love the El Cap for tape sounds and I love dark delays in general, like the El Cap and Quantum Leap and Memory Lane family, etc. But it it's starting to sound more appealing. I wish you've owned some of the Diamond delays because I feel like they're a real benchmark that would be nice to have comparisons to. I have memories of the VMSD from quite a while ago and of the El Cap, but haven't tried the Wampler. I'm trying to figure it out but I'm just not sure if I would like it more than the El Cap or not. I used the VMSD quite a while ago and later had an El Cap and always had the impression that if you were comparing tape sound to tape sounds, that the El Cap was just far and away better. But I don't know anymore. Never compared them side by side and the ETD isn't necessarily the same sounding as a VMSD anyway.

ruger9
03-01-2013, 04:51 AM
@ruger9 Would you mind emailing me at steve@empresseffects.com or calling me at 888-676-1853 to detail your problem with the true bypass/unity gain? If it's a defect, we can probably fix it. I have a feeling the brightness is happening cause when bypassed the signal isn't buffered, and when engaged, the signal is buffered. Unbuffered pickups usually result in high frequencies being diminished.

As for the output knob changing the brightness of the pedal, I'm thinking that shouldn't happen. I'll have to run some highly-scientific tests to find out. Also, the headroom switch shouldn't affect brightness.

Steve

Hey Steve, will do... but I'll also post some clarification here for users...

I wouldn't know if what is happening on mine is a "problem", it could just be the nature of the beast. I'm using a tele and a Gretsch- both standard pickups. No buffer, it's guitar-3 delays-amp. In Buffered mode, I put the level control at noon, have unity gain, sounds great. I TB mode, the level control at noon does NOT yield unity gain, I have to tun the level up a bit to achieve unity- and that's when the brightness occurs. And thinking about it, that is exactly what happens any time I try to run a clean boost too- if I up the volume to the amp, the 1st tube gain stage gets hit harder, and more brightness happens as a result. I think this is the nature of the beast with tube amps. Or at least it has been in my experiences. Altho, since I'm technically still at unity, maybe it shouldn't. I don't know any more...lol

The headroom switch didn't affect tone at all.

For the record, the Tape Delay is a fantastic pedal- I'm so glad you guys went with analog dry path. I've just been thru so many tape delays at this point, I'm very picky about what I want to hear... sometimes too picky... but such is the "fun" of the gear quest! (altho I sometimes wonder if it is indeed "fun") :messedup

donbarzini
03-01-2013, 05:49 AM
I don't think the fuzz on the repeats is a headroom issue, (altho I'm not a builder, so I don't know), I think it's a characteristic of the PT2399 chip. Every single PT2399 delay I've owned does it. I wonder if the Skreddy does it? I think that's a PT2399 delay, but I've never owned it.

there was a white noise in the repeats of the Skreddy when I had one....

RSRD
03-01-2013, 05:34 PM
GAS attack. I'm a big fan of Empress.

bobbymack
03-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Well I played the Wampler for a couple hours this afternoon by myself, and it just sounds like heaven...the only other delay I'd compare the richness and depth of the tones to would be the Providence Delay 80s which is different but equally inspiring to play.

It is such a joy to hear the tones coming out of the amp, it truly is inspiring in that it just makes you want to play more...I'm keeping it for sure. The only time its dicey noisewise is when you push the delay time past noon with humbuckers.

Rock on

ruger9
03-02-2013, 05:51 AM
Well I played the Wampler for a couple hours this afternoon by myself, and it just sounds like heaven...the only other delay I'd compare the richness and depth of the tones to would be the Providence Delay 80s which is different but equally inspiring to play.

It is such a joy to hear the tones coming out of the amp, it truly is inspiring in that it just makes you want to play more...I'm keeping it for sure. The only time its dicey noisewise is when you push the delay time past noon with humbuckers.

Rock on

There's nothing like a pedal that inspires. And I agree on all counts- I just can't decide on the noise issue, for me. The Empress is going back today.

ruger9
03-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Just ordered a Flashback X4... even tho it doesn't have the adjustability of the others (hey Tore- when is that software coming out???)- SIMPLE is what I want, presets would be great, and I have to say- the demos I've heard of even the stock toneprints sound fantastic.

I owned an original FB, and sound QUALITY-wise, I thought it was right up there with the El Cap and Empress... but lack of adjustability and very few toneprints had me selling it pretty quick.

lv
03-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Just ordered a Flashback X4... even tho it doesn't have the adjustability of the others (hey Tore- when is that software coming out???)- SIMPLE is what I want, presets would be great, and I have to say- the demos I've heard of even the stock toneprints sound fantastic.

I owned an original FB, and sound QUALITY-wise, I thought it was right up there with the El Cap and Empress... but lack of adjustability and very few toneprints had me selling it pretty quick.

i thought about buying another flashback and using the toneprint editor to add more dirt and more modulation to the ep-3 toneprint. i also though the tonal quality was great.

ruger9
03-02-2013, 07:59 AM
i thought about buying another flashback and using the toneprint editor to add more dirt and more modulation to the ep-3 toneprint. i also though the tonal quality was great.

Have you watched any demos? The "tube" setting has tons of dirt. I'm sure there's a toneprint with modulation added, and if there's not yet, there will be... or TC will finally release the software.

A software-programmable, preset-holding delay may just be the UBER-delay, at least in digital world. I'll never sell my AD-999 regardless, and there are alot of DMMs that aren't in any danger, but seriously... a slapback, a DMM, and a tape echo... all at the simple stomp of a switch, all tones programmed by you. It couldn't get much better. (I've never wanted a timeline or nova, I like the traditional "one stomp one sound" format of the FBX4.)

My only complaint: the thing is HUGE. I might be able to replace 2-3 delays on your board, but you sure as heck aren't saving any space!

ruger9
03-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Dammit, Bobby!! I was all set to box up the Wampler, and now here you got me enjoying it's "organic goodness" again... this morning, I'm enjoying the Wampler more than the El Capistan.

Thanks alot. ;)

dougmon
03-02-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm keeping the Wampler FTET, but this thread has made me want to at least try the El Capistan and yes, the Empress VMSD...

bobbymack
03-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Dammit, Bobby!! I was all set to box up the Wampler, and now here you got me enjoying it's "organic goodness" again... this morning, I'm enjoying the Wampler more than the El Capistan.

Thanks alot. ;)
Yeah man, it's really killing me. Try these settings for kicks, starting with lower left knob clockwise -- 10:00, 11, 10, and 11:30, reel switch engaged both at 11

I smile every time I kick it on.

Where are you in NJ btw

ruger9
03-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Hackettstown NJ (Northwest NJ)

Those are actually very close to my settings lol Except when I want mod, I WANT it- DMM style! So I have the Movement at 1:00 and the Depth full up (at that shade level; if I raise the shade level above noon, I have to back the mod down a little so it's doesn't get crazy.)

bobbymack
03-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Yep haven't played to much with te od knobs yet, just looking for the baseline sound you can use on about everything. Grew up in Cranford.

IRG
03-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Here are my thoughts now on the Empress TD. I'm writing up a formal review for PGS later this weekend.

But it is love. Love the tone, love the features, love how it sits in the mix, the simple layout, and I love how it inspires me.

I'm going to disagree with Ruger9 now, about it being bright. It isn't at all. Unless you use the New tape setting, with no filter, and no modulation. Then it is indeed "bright" or maybe pristine is a better word. Every repeat sounds pretty close to the next, full range with no loss of fidelity. Yet it doesn't sound like a sterile digital delay. It sounds exactly like it's supposed to, a clean, pristine tape delay, with everything working the way it's supposed to.

In contrast, if I set the pedal to Old, LP filter on, and Lots of modulation, it sounds a lot different. Gone is clean pristine sound, replaced by loss of higher end, more warbles like the tape is stretched being its usefulness, but never overdone. You can hear the modulation more prevalent with longer delayed notes. But adjust the number of delays to less, and reduce the mix if you don't want these kinds of tape sounds to be too prevalent.

It isn't a dark delay in this mode, but thankfully it doesn't turn your delayed notes into a murky mush either. Some might want that, but I've found it less useful for myself.

The El Cap and Wampler may indeed get darker, but on its own, I wouldn't characterize the TD as being bright, it has a nice useful range and while some might want more control over the filters and/or the amount of modulation instead of just a simple toggle control, I actually found the layout here better, because I tweak less, and play more. I can quickly set a darker older tape delay with modulation and be done with it, just tap my delay time and I'm off. Or if I want a brighter clean delay, I can choose that, or something in the middle. I haven't set the presets yet, but I think 3 would actually be enough: Bright/new, vintage and then old. You give up the tap feature using presets which is about the only complaint I might have, but 90% of the time I'm probably not going to use the presets anyway, so my tap feature isn't going to be affected. I'm finding the ratio control more and more useful too.

I know mine isn't going back, but having 3 similar tape delays would make it difficult, I can see that! I do still have the Supa Puss, and find myself wondering if I need both. I actually need/want a dedicated tremolo pedal again, so I might look at trading, but we'll see.

lv
03-02-2013, 03:17 PM
quick clip, old mode, filter set to low pass. I haven't played a better sounding delay.

vFzegfC4Gi8

playing around with tape speed in 'blips' mode

NkL0UxIqSY8

ruger9
03-02-2013, 03:22 PM
To be clear,

I didn't say it was bright. I said the repeats were too bright FOR ME, and that the base tone gets brighter if you push the level past unity in TB mode.

IRG
03-02-2013, 03:44 PM
To be clear,

I didn't say it was bright. I said the repeats were too bright FOR ME, and that the base tone gets brighter if you push the level past unity in TB mode.

Well I did say compared to the 3 you've been playing, it might seem brighter than those, but on its own, I don't find it bright at all, and wanted to convey that to others.

I haven't tried it in TB mode yet, and likey I would never have it in that mode, as I like the trails it has.

lv
03-02-2013, 05:30 PM
I will say this - I find the darkest setting on the empress tape delay to be not as dark as most delays I've played that have a tone control on the repeats. Cornish TES, Moollon, Supa-Puss, Analogman modded DD-2, TTE, el cap, etc. So yes, not bright on the old/low pass settings, but not that dark either. I'd still take this delay over most others, maybe not the TES on lead tones though.

DraggAmps
03-03-2013, 02:51 AM
quick clip, old mode, filter set to low pass. I haven't played a better sounding delay.

vFzegfC4Gi8

playing around with tape speed in 'blips' mode

NkL0UxIqSY8

Sounds great, especially in the first video! Would have loved to hear a longer demo. The modulation DOES sound tasty and it actually seems to be fairly dark/warm to me. Not super dark like a Quantum Leap and maybe not as dark as the El Cap can get, but it does seem to have some warmth to it it. Especially after a few repeats. And that's a big part of the entire point of having dark, soupy delay, to me. It can have some clarity on the first few repeats, but you just need to be able to turn the repeats way up and have it fall apart and diffuse into a soup.

One of the most common ways I use a delay is setting the repeats high and the mix low and just getting that ambient wash underneath whatever I'm playing. The ETD seems like it's dark and diffused enough after several repeats that it could do that with enough smear. It's clarity on the first few repeats actually seems appealing because it might help bridge the gap between the clear notes that you're actually playing at any given time, and the wash of smeared notes underneath. The Quantum Leap I'm using mostly right now is very, very dark and washy and you get almost instant smear. You really don't even hear much of a repeat at all when you set like I was saying. The notes instantly smear into the wash and you just get that ambient mess underneath the notes. It seems like the ETD can create that same wash with enough diffusion after several repeats, but maybe the clarity earlier on would give you some nice subtle, fading repeats that you can actually hear before it blends in. Interesting.

lv
03-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks. Its really when used with gain that I wished it were a bit murkier. Great pedal either way. The modulation is amazing.

GuitarBrent
03-03-2013, 07:19 PM
To me the thing that most Echoplex simulators miss is the bright top end. That's what I love about Echoplexes. That's what I loved about the Empress SuperDelay in new tape mode. What i didn't like on the SD was that it was all digital, so it changed the sound of my fuzzes when I turned on the SD. I'm hoping with the analog dry path, this is no longer an issue, because the SD had the most authentic Echoplex tone I've heard outside of the real deal.

401(k) thrasher
03-03-2013, 07:48 PM
I've got one on the way from PGS. Other than the 'tape' option on my Nova Repeater (rarely use that mode, since I set and forget it on 'analog' mode mostly) I have no experience with a tape delay. So I really do appreciate all the in-depth review work you guys are doing. Thank you!

lv
03-03-2013, 10:20 PM
To me the thing that most Echoplex simulators miss is the bright top end. That's what I love about Echoplexes. That's what I loved about the Empress SuperDelay in new tape mode. What i didn't like on the SD was that it was all digital, so it changed the sound of my fuzzes when I turned on the SD. I'm hoping with the analog dry path, this is no longer an issue, because the SD had the most authentic Echoplex tone I've heard outside of the real deal.

agreed. seems many 'tape styled' digital delays have really dark repeats, so much that people think that is what all tape units sound like.

lv
03-04-2013, 04:44 PM
ruger, you decide which you're keeping?

ruger9
03-04-2013, 04:53 PM
ruger, you decide which you're keeping?

The Empress is on it's way back to PGS. Just doesn't get dark enough for me... otherwise, it's perfect. I've still got the Wampler and the El Cap, but I'm going to wait for the FBX4 and the toneprint editor to see which one I'm keeping... altho, if for some reason I don't get a great feeling out of the FBX4 straightaway (which I did with the original FB), I'll send it back pretty quickly.

Have you listened to the stock toneprints? :eek: All the tape and analog ones show great promise... can't wait to check out the toneprint editor.

cRWOoXtg6gQ

lv
03-04-2013, 10:36 PM
The Empress is on it's way back to PGS. Just doesn't get dark enough for me... otherwise, it's perfect. I've still got the Wampler and the El Cap, but I'm going to wait for the FBX4 and the toneprint editor to see which one I'm keeping... altho, if for some reason I don't get a great feeling out of the FBX4 straightaway (which I did with the original FB), I'll send it back pretty quickly.

Have you listened to the stock toneprints? :eek: All the tape and analog ones show great promise... can't wait to check out the toneprint editor.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRWOoXtg6gQ">YouTube Link</a>

when i had my alter ego, i kept it on the ep-3 toneprint exclusively. great sound.'

GuitarBrent
03-05-2013, 08:51 PM
How are you guys powering the Tape Delay? Spec wise it doesn't look like my PP2+ has enough juice...

ruger9
03-06-2013, 04:53 AM
I powered mine with a One-Spot (but no other high-power-requiring pedals were plugged into it) basically like having it's own wall wart.

SirGilmour
03-06-2013, 09:22 AM
How are you guys powering the Tape Delay? Spec wise it doesn't look like my PP2+ has enough juice...

The PP2+ can power virtually anything. You may need additional current or voltage doublets but I have powered everything under the sun with mine.

empress_effects
03-06-2013, 12:18 PM
The tape delay actually consumes a bit less current that the Superdelay. And the Voodoo Lab guys okayed powering the Superdelay with the PP2+, so you should be alright with the tape delay. We actually used the Pedal Power when designing the tape delay Here's what you do:

You can power the Empress tape delay from outputs 5 or 6 of the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+. You must set the corresponding DIP switch away from the NORMAL position. Also, since the tape delay requires 280mA, you should only use the other output for a much lower current pedal.

Steve.

Yonderwanderer
03-06-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm very close to pulling a trigger on this. Love the sound. I'm okay with it not getting as dark and washy as some people note.

IRG
03-06-2013, 01:20 PM
I powered mine with a One-Spot (but no other high-power-requiring pedals were plugged into it) basically like having it's own wall wart.

That's exactly how I power mine now. I think I'll get an updated power supply pretty soon, likely a Voodoo Lab 4x4 as I used an M5 too. Would be handy to power both and the rest of my pedals, even if I have to daisy chain some of my lowered power fuzz/overdrives, it should be perfect.

delay dude
03-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Did anybody a comparison of the empress superdelay vintage modified and the new empress tape delay?

SirGilmour
03-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Not via demo that i know of

401(k) thrasher
03-08-2013, 10:53 PM

I started running mine at 9v through a Pedal Pad Power Pad II and there was a tapping sound coming through the speaker cabinet every time the ETD's tap tempo LED flickered. It sounded like a metronome, even when no other pedals were engaged. Annoying. Changed it to a 12v wall wart with 300ma and the metronome ticking sound is gone. Must have needed more headroom, even though the Power Pad II supposedly has 1700ma isolated 9v outputs.

empress_effects
03-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Hey thrasher,

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I'm not a power supply expert, but here's what I think is happening:

The Power Pad is a switching supply, which means it doesn't have isolated outputs. When the led in the ETD comes on, the Power Pad can't meet the instantaneous power demand, and the voltage droops a little. We've had similar issues with the 1Spot, which is another switching power supply.

Could you try this: have only your guitar, the ETD, and the amp in the signal chain. Power with the Power Pad, and unplug all the other effects from the Power Pad. Let me know if you still get the noise.

Steve.

401(k) thrasher
03-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Hey thrasher,

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I'm not a power supply expert, but here's what I think is happening:

The Power Pad is a switching supply, which means it doesn't have isolated outputs. When the led in the ETD comes on, the Power Pad can't meet the instantaneous power demand, and the voltage droops a little. We've had similar issues with the 1Spot, which is another switching power supply.

Could you try this: have only your guitar, the ETD, and the amp in the signal chain. Power with the Power Pad, and unplug all the other effects from the Power Pad. Let me know if you still get the noise.

Steve.

Hi Steve,
Wow, thanks, Man for your reply. Empress customer service is clearly above and beyond. I'll try out your suggestion tomorrow and let you know. Since my power supply is not isolated (I didn't know that), I'm sure what you suggested wiil be problem free. I knew that adding the extra volts would be my cure, so it's all good. Many thanks and great job on this freakin' awesome tape delay!!! P.S. - the ETD enclosure is so much smaller than I expected, which is added goodness!

401(k) thrasher
03-10-2013, 05:12 PM
@empress_effects: Yeah, that worked perfectly. I unplugged all cables so that the power supply would not reach anything except the ETD. Then ran the signal Guitar > ETD > Amp with no other effects in the chain, ETD on a 9V plug. My power supply was able to deliver enough (280ma I would guess) to the ETD while the metronome sound that had coincided with the tap tempo LED I was hearing through my speakers is gone. For my setup, I’ll keep the ETD on a dedicated 12v 300ma plug and be fine. Thanks!

thesooze
03-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet:

1PM1sYZyuYs&ref=nf

SirGilmour
03-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the demo sooze!

DraggAmps
03-13-2013, 02:29 AM
Has anyone else picked one up? Thoughts? Or does anyone who has had one for a while have any more thoughts now that the honeymoon is somewhat over? I just ordered one of these so now I'm super stoked to try it out. I think I'll pair it with an El Capistan though. Then maybe even a Catalinbread Echorec. I don't mind having 2 or 3 delays. Those plus a Flint pretty much sums up my non-dirt effects. I like delay, reverb, and tremolo. I don't tend to care for much else.

lv
03-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Honeymoon over - still great fit for my needs. The modulation is really stunning. I find myself keeping it in either vintage (for brighter repeats) or old mode (for darker repeats) and then using the high pass filter for cleaner stuff or the low pass for overdriven tones. I don't use the modulation switch at all. Beautiful tones, no noise. I still think it comes very close to my TTE in terms of tone.

Dragg, did you get your yet?

cacibi
03-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Same here - I'm still loving it as a stripped down, more user friendly version of the VMSD. For the board it's on and the band I use it with, I only need 2 or three delay presets. As usual, a very feature-rich, well designed pedal from Empress.

JeffOlson
03-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Got one Friday. Love it!

Empress only board: Multidrive -> Phaser -> Tape Delay -> Tremolo.

In other setups, I'm pairing my VMSD with my V-Twin and my TimeLine with my Jester.

The Tape Delay sounds a bit different than the tape function of the VMSD. I don't think they are exactly the same. Both sound great, so I don't care.

rhoydotp
03-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Empress only board: Multidrive -> Phaser -> Tape Delay -> Tremolo.

very nice! :JAM

JeffOlson
03-16-2013, 08:32 PM
^ Thanks! It's my get-away/grab-and-go board. I use it with a very portable Gibson Goldtone GA-5.

Xian Steffen
03-19-2013, 01:03 AM
Ordered one today. Felt I had to try this pedal.

GuitarBrent
03-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Does the tape delay affect the tone of your fuzzes when turned on? My old Super Delay always made my fuzzes much brighter when turned on, which sucked.

GuitarBrent
04-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Anyone?

Adagietto
04-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Does the tape delay affect the tone of your fuzzes when turned on? My old Super Delay always made my fuzzes much brighter when turned on, which sucked.No, the ETD didn't make my fuzzes any brighter.

ruger9
04-10-2013, 05:37 PM
I just thought of something I had not thought of before, regarding the Empress Tape Delay...

I owned the Superdelay. It was too bright, so it went back. Then later I heard about the "darker, dirtier" PGS VMSD version, bought it, and fell in love. And stayed in love until the El Cap showed up, but I digress...

If the algorithms in the ETD are from the SD, no wonder I still found it didn't get dark or dirty enough for me. Does anyone know if the algorithms are from the SD or the VMSD? Because if a "VMETD" version ever comes out, THAT would be my perfect tape delay (in a pedal).

SirGilmour
04-21-2013, 12:27 PM
I just thought of something I had not thought of before, regarding the Empress Tape Delay...

I owned the Superdelay. It was too bright, so it went back. Then later I heard about the "darker, dirtier" PGS VMSD version, bought it, and fell in love. And stayed in love until the El Cap showed up, but I digress...

If the algorithms in the ETD are from the SD, no wonder I still found it didn't get dark or dirty enough for me. Does anyone know if the algorithms are from the SD or the VMSD? Because if a "VMETD" version ever comes out, THAT would be my perfect tape delay (in a pedal).

Anyone know if they are the same?

Trotter
04-21-2013, 12:39 PM
I bought one and ended up returning it last week. It was a good sounding tape delay but ultimately not the right pedal for my needs. I've also owned the El Cap and while I did not compare them side by side, I think I liked the El Cap a hair more. The Empress was very nice though.

ruger9
04-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Anyone know if they are the same?

(the Superdelay & the VMSD)

...I would love to hear an official answer from Empress on this.

SirGilmour
04-21-2013, 04:55 PM
I would think they are the same as the VMSD due to the color scheme but maybe the TD is different from both?

lv
04-21-2013, 08:21 PM
(the Superdelay & the VMSD)

...I would love to hear an official answer from Empress on this.

The etd vid on their site says the algos are from the vintage modified version.

vibrostrat43
04-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Yeah, even the VMSD tape delays on anything other than mode C are brighter than any delay I've had before (Deluxe Memory Boy, Brigadier, DMMTT, Timeline, El Cap, MLJR, Quantum Leap)...even with the LP filter engaged mode C is not "dark," but sounds maybe as dark as my Quantum Leap did.

lux_interior
04-22-2013, 02:46 AM
Yeah, even the VMSD tape delays on anything other than mode C are brighter than any delay I've had before (Deluxe Memory Boy, Brigadier, DMMTT, Timeline, El Cap, MLJR, Quantum Leap)...even with the LP filter engaged mode C is not "dark," but sounds maybe as dark as my Quantum Leap did.

I disagree with this completely... ok, the Dlx. Mem. Boy is one of the darkest echoes I've heard, but the VMSD delays on mode B - and sometimes on A as well - are just as bright as the Brigadier, the DMMTT, the Timeline and the El Capistan. Bear in mind that these 3 delays by Strymon can be set as bright or as dark as you want, but their starting point is definitely bright. And the Mem. Lane JR can roughly have the same eq with mode B.

ruger9
04-22-2013, 06:12 AM

Yeah, as I have said, I did love the ETD, but it was just too bright for me- I would never have used Mode A, and even Mode C with LP on still wasn't as dark as I would like sometimes... if had gone darker, I would have kept it and never bought the X4.

lux_interior
04-22-2013, 06:40 AM
Mode C with the low pass filter almost completely lacks definition (it becomes just a nondescript "tail") and is almost equal or worse in mud levels with the Dlx. Mem. Boy... Furthermore, at that point you are starting to get problems of being audible in a proper band mix. Personally, I can't see the point of looking for something even darker!

jackrockerman
04-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Kiddos.....

Stop complaining...

ruger9
04-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Mode C with the low pass filter almost completely lacks definition (it becomes just a nondescript "tail") and is almost equal or worse in mud levels with the Dlx. Mem. Boy... Furthermore, at that point you are starting to get problems of being audible in a proper band mix. Personally, I can't see the point of looking for something even darker!

You say to-MAY-to, I say to-MAH-to... :)

BTW- try a tele thru an AC30 and see if you still come to that conclusion ;)

lux_interior
04-22-2013, 08:17 AM
You have a bright setup, I have a bright setup, but we don't have the same ears (fortunately though, for the sake of objectivity I've tried these pedals on other setups as well, and perhaps not as upper mids and treble-rich as yours).

ruger9
04-22-2013, 08:29 AM
"treble-rich".... that's a new one. Apt description tho. The upper mids and treble richness have me on an amp hunt... I think I have outgrown my AC30-inspired Genz Benz Black Pearl. Time to go to some 6V6s I think. If I get an amp with an overall warmer, low-mids sound, I would probably re-buy the ETD and re-test it... as I do love the simplicity, size, and function.

lux_interior
04-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Don't get me wrong, as I always say what matters is only what works for you... and I also adore the Vox sound with the bluebells. But you might experiment a bit with bassier and warmer speakers - the speaker change is in my opinion by far the least talked-about, least advertised and most drastic method of amp tone change.

vibrostrat43
04-22-2013, 08:52 AM
I disagree with this completely... ok, the Dlx. Mem. Boy is one of the darkest echoes I've heard, but the VMSD delays on mode B - and sometimes on A as well - are just as bright as the Brigadier, the DMMTT, the Timeline and the El Capistan. Bear in mind that these 3 delays by Strymon can be set as bright or as dark as you want, but their starting point is definitely bright. And the Mem. Lane JR can roughly have the same eq with mode B.

My unit is fairly old, and it does convert the whole signal to digital so it could be that it's just going to be brighter than the ETD simply because of that, but mode B without a filter is way brighter than my MLJR, and if I flip on the LP filter it still has a fair amount more definition than the MLJR. I don't have Timeline to compare to side by side (I traded it for the VMSD), but I know that the sounds on it are very tweakable in terms of EQ, but I don't recall it getting as bright as this even with the filter knob turned all the way ccw ( maybe I didn't adjust the internal low contour enough). I do agree on the Deluxe Memory Boy though, that thing was murky, indistinct and at least my unit was fairly noisy.

SirGilmour
04-22-2013, 10:15 AM
So im thinking of asking for a TD for my birthday and im thinking since i have a carbon copy for the dark washy stuff the tape being brighter will suit my needs. Where does the CC land in the darkness category? Ive never played the DMM or el cap. ive played the VMSD, MLj, Timeline and CC and the CC was the darkest to me.

lux_interior
04-22-2013, 10:52 AM
According to my own personal experience with the Timeline (something like half a year), it could easily be very bright on almost every mode, even without going under the hood - well, you had to go under the hood to tweak the subparameters because that was almost necessary to get it where you wanted. That's where most of its magic was, actually.

As for the Carbon Copy, I would say it has a very nice balance between the traditional dark analog sound and the brighter tones that ensure definition. I can't really classify it according to some "darkness" scale because I would have to play it side by side with the others you mentioned...

SirGilmour
04-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the insight. I really love how the CC sounds. It really just sits in the mix well. I think the TD would be a good big brother to the CC.

lux_interior
04-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Bump to ask about what was mainly bothering me with the Vintage Modified Superdelay: has the tap tempo issue been fixed? A few people including me found it quite inaccurate, to a degree where it became annoying. After sending it to Empress, it came back exactly like it was. Can someone test the new Empress Tape Delay with a click track or something like that and report back? I would be grateful.

jcat5503
04-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Tap Tempo works well for me. Just as well as my MLjr IMO

jcat5503
04-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Anyone using the presets function on their ETD?

cacibi
04-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Anyone using the presets function on their ETD?

Yes, and it is far better for live use than the VMSD, especially if you only really need two delays, then it's as simple as A/B'ing them.

jcat5503
04-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Yes, and it is far better for live use than the VMSD, especially if you only really need two delays, then it's as simple as A/B'ing them.

Do you find it still works well with loosing the tap tempo function? I wish they could mod if for an external tap tempo for this reason. I emailed them asking about it, but got no response :(

cacibi
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Do you find it still works well with loosing the tap tempo function? I wish they could mod if for an external tap tempo for this reason. I emailed them asking about it, but got no response :(

I mean - I don't really need the tap feature for the 2 or 3 delays I need. I'm looking at a slap, a triplet-ish delay for ballads and a longer delay for swells - which I probably don't need as I never use it. Basically more subtle texture and really non-rhythmic delays.

Your best bet for good live preset functionality and tap tempo is the Flashback X4. Drawback there is that it is ginormous, but that also translates into being foot friendly.

jcat5503
04-30-2013, 10:45 AM
I mean - I don't really need the tap feature for the 2 or 3 delays I need. I'm looking at a slap, a triplet-ish delay for ballads and a longer delay for swells - which I probably don't need as I never use it. Basically more subtle texture and really non-rhythmic delays.

Your best bet for good live preset functionality and tap tempo is the Flashback X4. Drawback there is that it is ginormous, but that also translates into being foot friendly.

I think I just need to spend more time with it. I'm going to set it up in similar fashion. Slap, rhythm thickener, and a longer solo sound. I've got a DD7 I can use if I really need tap tempo.

david(j)
05-04-2013, 07:07 PM
mine landed today. Spent a short time with it, and its gorgeous. Looking forward to getting to know this pedal.

this is going to be on a new small board for my vox...so excited.

SirGilmour
05-06-2013, 09:13 AM
mine landed today. Spent a short time with it, and its gorgeous. Looking forward to getting to know this pedal.

this is going to be on a new small board for my vox...so excited.

I'm DYING to get this pedal. How do you feel about it after a few days?

JimmyR
05-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Another delay junkie here! Like Ruger I love the Maxon AD999, and most delays don't come close. BUT - I have delighted with the Flashback, and have both the regular FB and the X4. Recently I got an Empress "Tape Delay" which was a bit of a gamble for me but I was bored. I had an Empress Super Delay and really, really didn't like it. The Tape Echo sounds a lot better to me - maybe it's the analog signal path thing? The bigger box one sounded really thin and anaemic to me. Fortunately the folks at Empress were great to deal with and I returned it for my money back.

So I have been comparing the new Empress with the FB on my favourite setting, which is actually very simple. I am using the FB in the slapback mode and simply trying to get the Empress to do the same thing. So far I have had best success with the new setting, no modulation at all and no filter. Yes I know - it kinda defeats the whole reason for buying this pedals. BUT - I really like the size of the pedal for having 3 presets.

So I have the first preset for my slapback (boring) tone and can use the other two for warbly stuff. I too found that in TBP mode the volume has to be above 12.00 to achieve unity. And it does sound brighter than the FB, but it's not too bad.

I am keeping the Empress for now. I have tried so many delays and never liked the Strymons. So much promise but there is something about them that I don't like - even with all their elecktrickery they still sound so pristine. Plus I had all sorts of issues with powering them. The Empress sounds better to me.

I like the FBX4. If it was the same size as the Empress I think it would be my favourite. I think the Empress way of organising the presets is one of the cleverest I have found. Both in how you call them up and how you can either protect them or not. Very very clever. So for now I will persevere with the Empress Tape Echo. Playing it with the band will be the big test, but our singer is away for a few weeks!

shikawkee
05-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Love the Flashback and the X4. Love, love, LOVE them. So versatile and the tone prints are killer and you can tweak stuff easily. When that editing software is out so we can adjust it like they program it? Fuggetaboutit.

JimmyR
05-23-2013, 08:19 AM
It's already out.

JimmyR
05-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Ok the Empress is off my board for good now. It was playing up with the power supply and it has done it once too often! It will just click off for no reason and stop working until I press it back on again. I am using the uber 9V out on a Voodoo Labs ISO5 power supply. I have tried a few others which are supposed to have enough grunt but it does it with all of them.

Back to trusty Flashback which has never once caused me any grief!

Adagietto
05-24-2013, 02:18 AM
I wonder if Empress is having some manufacturing problems. I had a flaky ETD and there are at least a couple of defective Buffer+s in other threads here. Both ETDs I had also were noisy, although I haven't heard of other noise complaints. I'm bummed because I liked the ETD a lot.

jAcKoFsPeEd
05-24-2013, 09:47 AM
The 9v high current output on the ISO5 is shared with a 12v output for a total of 300 ma. If your running an effect that is current hungry the same time your running the ETD that could be the problem.

stringman340
05-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Bump to ask about what was mainly bothering me with the Vintage Modified Superdelay: has the tap tempo issue been fixed? A few people including me found it quite inaccurate, to a degree where it became annoying. After sending it to Empress, it came back exactly like it was. Can someone test the new Empress Tape Delay with a click track or something like that and report back? I would be grateful.

Don't know if you found this out......

I tried it. Tapping down (like your foot pressing the switch we'll say is on the down beat) to tempo won't do you any good. Focusing on keeping the release accurate (up beat) was what I do and its spot on everytime. BTW the ETD is gorgeous sounding. Try full wet in Blips mode with high repeats and hit /hold the switch for octave repeats while playing quick random notes for something special.

stringman340
05-24-2013, 03:02 PM
It will just click off for no reason and stop working until I press it back on again.
This happened to me, actually you described exactly how mine was shutting off. Turns out I was not powering it up correctly. I am now, though, and boy...oh boy.. In my case, I think I was supplying too much voltage (18v) and not enough current. I quickly tried it on output 5 of the PP2+, which shares 500mA with output 6 and output 6 has a Line 6 FM4 in it, and it worked fine at 9v. Two days later I got a current doubler cable just to be safer and started playing around in advanced mode, still 9v. IDK, you should check if your power application is at fault and give it another shot!
The 9v high current output on the ISO5 is shared with a 12v output for a total of 300 ma. If your running an effect that is current hungry the same time your running the ETD that could be the problem.

SirGilmour
06-11-2013, 09:33 AM
anyone else have powering problems?

Rumbeer
06-11-2013, 09:48 AM
I've had mine mine for several weeks and have had NO issues whatsoever. I have the current doubler cable running from the 250mA output on the PP2+ with one of the regular 100mA outputs. Works perfectly. Tap tempo works great and is accurate. Having either 2 or 3 presets is also really a beautiful thing since you can have very drastically different sounding delays on this machine. It's definitely a keeper.

SirGilmour
06-11-2013, 10:06 AM
I've had mine mine for several weeks and have had NO issues whatsoever. I have the current doubler cable running from the 250mA output on the PP2+ with one of the regular 100mA outputs. Works perfectly. Tap tempo works great and is accurate. Having either 2 or 3 presets is also really a beautiful thing since you can have very drastically different sounding delays on this machine. It's definitely a keeper.

Thanks for the reply! I can't wait to get one.

empress_effects
06-11-2013, 02:39 PM
@ruger9: the algorithms are from the VMSD, not the SD. We did make some slight changes though, including make the sample rate higher, that could account for making it brighter.

@jcat5503: sorry about not getting a response from us. our bad. in a future version of the ETD you'll be able to mod the pedal to add external tap, but unfortunately, not on the present ETDs.

@JimmyR: sorry about the power supply issues. Did you have anything plugged into the 12V output when you had the ETD plugged into the 9V 300mA output? What other power supplies did you try?

We haven't had any manufacturing problems with the ETD. Actually, looking at the file with all our repair work, we haven't repaired an ETD yet. Unfortunately, I get the feeling people are trying out the pedal with a power supply that isn't suit for it, and returning it. If you do have issues, please email em at steve@empresseffects.com and I'll help you out.

Steve.

Empros
06-11-2013, 06:41 PM
I suddenly really want one of these. Looks fantastic. Could be my first Empress pedal!

Adagietto
06-11-2013, 08:10 PM
The problems I had were consistent with three different power supplies. My first ETD would lose presets, an issue verified in person at PGS. If that one wasn't returned to Empress, it raises other issues. Both units I tried had hiss, which was always present with the buffer engaged. I contacted Empress and was quoted the noise spec. Except for the hiss, the ETD is awesome. Maybe I had two bad units or maybe the ETD doesn't like the two most common power supplies used on pedal boards. The delay I'm using now is dead quiet, but it's no substitute for the ETD.

JD_A
06-11-2013, 09:39 PM
@jcat5503: sorry about not getting a response from us. our bad. in a future version of the ETD you'll be able to mod the pedal to add external tap, but unfortunately, not on the present ETDs.

Steve.

So, will the external tap allow tap tempo to work in preset mode and how far off in the future before the new version is released?

Thanks

Paulo Grua
06-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Bought one last week at Ludlow (great store, btw), while in vacation on NY.
Came back home this weekend, and played it two times already with a band. No problems at all so far: tap tempo pretty accurate, not noise, doesn't mess with my direct tone, and I love finally having a delay with trails.

Initially, though, I was daisy-chaining it with a power supply that only had 300mA total so it made a major hum. As soon as I got a suitable ps, all hum was gone.

empress_effects
06-11-2013, 09:58 PM
@JD_A: Ya, the external tap tempo mod would allow you to tap in tempos while in preset mode. Probably available in 2-3 months. The next version of the board will have two pads. You'd have to install a jack in the pedal, and connect it to the two pads. We could do this mod for you, but it'd be $50.

lux_interior
06-12-2013, 03:42 AM
So I guess the new version will have another jack to connect a tap switch to set the tap tempo externally?

dadrock
06-12-2013, 03:46 AM
I really love this pedal, sounds amazing.

SirGilmour
06-12-2013, 08:54 AM
@JD_A: Ya, the external tap tempo mod would allow you to tap in tempos while in preset mode. Probably available in 2-3 months. The next version of the board will have two pads. You'd have to install a jack in the pedal, and connect it to the two pads. We could do this mod for you, but it'd be $50.

Perfect!

empress_effects
06-12-2013, 02:48 PM
@lux_interior: It won't have another jack. It will just have two pads on the pcb. If you want to add the mod, you'll have to drill a hole in the case, and add a jack, and connect the jack to the pads. But you could get us to do the mod for you, it would be $50.

ruger9
06-12-2013, 07:24 PM
@ruger9: the algorithms are from the VMSD, not the SD. We did make some slight changes though, including make the sample rate higher, that could account for making it brighter.

Steve.

...I am VINDICATED!!!! :dude

Seriously, good to know- thanks.

justnick
06-12-2013, 07:36 PM
I picked a used one up recently because I wanted something simple with tap for some live stuff I've been doing that requires more of a sync'd delay than I normally need.

I love it. Just a great sound and easy to dial in on the fly.

n

lux_interior
06-12-2013, 07:40 PM
@lux_interior: It won't have another jack. It will just have two pads on the pcb. If you want to add the mod, you'll have to drill a hole in the case, and add a jack, and connect the jack to the pads. But you could get us to do the mod for you, it would be $50.

I see, and thanks for your reply, but why don't you just include an extra jack for all the new users to avoid the extra hassle of buying it and having to send it for a mod, with extra cost and extra waiting time when they could have it right out of the box?

stringman340
06-13-2013, 03:53 AM
"@jcat5503: sorry about not getting a response from us. our bad. in a future version of the ETD you'll be able to mod the pedal to add external tap, but unfortunately, not on the present ETDs."

!!!!!!! :bkw:thud:waiting:brick

I have #44 - is that considered a "present" model? I would LOVE to tap while in preset mode!!!

empress_effects
06-13-2013, 08:51 AM
@lux_interior: You make a good point. But if we added the jack, it would increase costs, so we'd increase the price. We haven't gotten enough interest in the external tap tempo jack to do that.

@stringman340: I'm guessing that's me under those bricks. Ouch! Sorry, but #44 is the present model.

stringman340
06-13-2013, 10:57 AM
It's all good, Steve. I still love it!! Waiting on the modulation pedal...

BTW, NOT you under the bricks, the news HIT me like some bricks ;)

lux_interior
06-13-2013, 11:52 AM
@lux_interior: You make a good point. But if we added the jack, it would increase costs, so we'd increase the price. We haven't gotten enough interest in the external tap tempo jack to do that.

I understand, but this might be happening because almost no one knows about it yet. I hope you provide an option at your site that enables people to order it with the additional jack installed. Getting the pedal from you means we won't be able to take advantage of discount coupons that online stores are offering, but it might be worth the extra cost.

SirGilmour
06-14-2013, 09:42 AM
It took me 4 months from when I started this thread but I finally got a TD from the emporium yesterday. Its the first pedal I have purchased since selling off all my pedals a few months ago so I hope its everything I hoped it would be. :)

thecomposinator
06-14-2013, 09:49 AM
It took me 4 months from when I started this thread but I finally got a TD from the emporium yesterday. Its the first pedal I have purchased since selling off all my pedals a few months ago so I hope its everything I hoped it would be. :)

I love mine! It has everything I need/want in a delay pedal.

SirGilmour
06-14-2013, 09:51 AM
I love mine! It has everything I need/want in a delay pedal.

Perfect! Ive grown tired of the pedal swapping madness that is TGP and Im attempting to put a fairly well thought out little board together and move on to guitars or amps. :bonk

SirGilmour
06-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Bump for added videos in post 1

SirGilmour
06-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Is the mod switch bypassed(inactive) in blips mode!?

SirGilmour
06-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Bump. I'm really curious about this

Rumbeer
06-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Ok I just tested mine and there is no modulation to be heard in the blips mode. But you dont really miss that when you use the blips as it is so much fun. It is actually quite awesome and you can definitely use it for almost synth like things. Really loving this delay pedal more and more!

Sir Douglas T
06-15-2013, 07:11 PM
I've owned more Delay's in the last 3 months than I've seen in a lifetime. Loved my Timeline but too much for my needs. Enjoyed the Providence Chrono Delay, but very limited to a somewaht authentic 2290 type sound(Great Delay and not a bad thing). Moved onto tthe Moollon Digital delay, everything you want except for presets. Tried the VMSD for 2 weeks and really was sold of the delay save for the non analog signal path messed with my amps tone. Loved my DD-3 and it is my trusty no frills stand by. I wantv to get my hands on the Catalinabread stuff soon. Bought the TC flashback x 4 and it is not going anywhere. Had the Empress Tape Delay for one day and couldn't stand the white noise. Maybe I had a bad unit, but it was enough for me to move on quickly and re-ambrace my TC FBx4 all the more. Sorry for the long post, but this year has been a journey thru the world of delay. The JHS Panther rocked hard and I really enjoyed the controls, but I can't stand added hiss and noise. If Providence raises the bar on their New Delay I will definately be picking one of those up as well. Sheesh I need to give it a rest and start playing again. haha. :horse

Adagietto
06-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Had the Empress Tape Delay for one day and couldn't stand the white noise. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that heard that and was annoyed by it (two different units). I wish it didn't bother me because I really like the ETD. For my needs, it's just about perfect.

Rumbeer
06-15-2013, 08:01 PM
You guys need to play more. No idea what white noise you're speaking of...but whatever, there are tons of choices out there sooo...

Adagietto
06-15-2013, 08:16 PM
You guys need to play more. No idea what white noise you're speaking of...but whatever, there are tons of choices out there sooo...
Maybe not all of the ETDs have hiss. Try putting your ETD in true bypass mode and see if you can hear a difference with the delay engaged vs. bypassed. The units I had hissed even in buffered bypass, making the noise a little less obvious. But you are correct, I need to play more and my ETD money was spent on another delay.

KissTone
06-15-2013, 08:36 PM
White noise? Uh oh . . . I was just about to sell my MLJr so that I could try the Tape Delay . . . maybe I should wait on that . . .

SirGilmour
06-15-2013, 09:35 PM
What about the modulation in blips mode? I'm having a hard time believing it doesn't do anything in blips mode

stringman340
06-16-2013, 12:08 AM
No white noise here, in either mode. I like the buffered-with-trails and have settled on it. I'm willing to bet it's an isolated issue, as mine is gloriously quiet. And again, no modulation in Blip mode but you won't miss it there.

SirGilmour
06-16-2013, 12:48 AM
No white noise here, in either mode. I like the buffered-with-trails and have settled on it. I'm willing to bet it's an isolated issue, as mine is gloriously quiet. And again, no modulation in Blip mode but you won't miss it there.

Ok but what does that mod switch do in blips mode? Nothing? The manual doesn't mention it.

stringman340
06-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Ok but what does that mod switch do in blips mode? Nothing? The manual doesn't mention it.

Afraid it does nothing - I've switched it back and forth, no mod......you'll be disappointed at first and then realize it's all good:D

SirGilmour
06-16-2013, 01:30 AM
LOL. I don't think I'll be disappointed. I LOVED my VMSD. So if you can only hear blips when you tap time or turn the time knob, then why wouldn't it allow mod? This is blowing my mind.

Paulo Grua
06-16-2013, 05:18 PM
For me it's all good really. But, why no mod on blips mode? Maybe it's a software/firmware thing?

SirGilmour
06-16-2013, 07:55 PM
^^^maybe. Empress??? You there?

Paulo Grua
06-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Btw, just played a gig with it... still in love! And the Blip mode, even if I can't use modulation with it, it's awesome for cool noises at the end of songs...
Stacking it with the Cusack TAD it's great for volume swells e more spacious effects...

empress_effects
06-17-2013, 12:41 AM
@SirGilmour: The blips mode was added as kind of an afterthought. The design of it wasn't compatible with the modulation algorithm. I realized that I'd have to write a completely new mod algorithm for the blips mode. The short and crappy answer is that I could either put more time into testing the main functionality of the tape delay, or I could attempt to write a modulation algorithm for the blips mode. I went with the former. I think part of the reason why our pedals are usually way behind schedule is because we usually decide to add in as much as we can. But at some point, we gotta say "okay, this is done!"

I'm curious and concerned about the problems people are having with white noise/hiss. That shouldn't be happening. If you are having this problem, please email me at steve@empresseffects.com and I'll try to help you out.

As for adding another jack to the tape delay for external tap tempo, we decided against it because the profit margin is already super low. It's got almost the same hardware as the Superdelay but is $200 less. So even adding one jack and its accompanying circuitry for external tap tempo isn't feasible.

Paulo Grua
06-17-2013, 09:36 AM
@SirGilmour: The blips mode was added as kind of an afterthought. The design of it wasn't compatible with the modulation algorithm. I realized that I'd have to write a completely new mod algorithm for the blips mode. The short and crappy answer is that I could either put more time into testing the main functionality of the tape delay, or I could attempt to write a modulation algorithm for the blips mode. I went with the former. I think part of the reason why our pedals are usually way behind schedule is because we usually decide to add in as much as we can. But at some point, we gotta say "okay, this is done!"

I'm curious and concerned about the problems people are having with white noise/hiss. That shouldn't be happening. If you are having this problem, please email me at steve@empresseffects.com and I'll try to help you out.

As for adding another jack to the tape delay for external tap tempo, we decided against it because the profit margin is already super low. It's got almost the same hardware as the Superdelay but is $200 less. So even adding one jack and its accompanying circuitry for external tap tempo isn't feasible.

Thanks for your answer.
for those in the fence, this should not be a deal breaker.

SirGilmour
06-17-2013, 10:49 AM

Thats all I needed to hear. Thank you for the response. Its not a deal breaker for me because I already know I love the TD(I had a VMSD). I probably wont use blips because I love the modulation too much. Mine should be here today!!!! Cant wait!

Abandoned
08-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Any more updates from anyone? Just read the hole thread. Sounds like a great delay.

JD_A
08-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Any more updates from anyone? Just read the hole thread. Sounds like a great delay.

If you think you might need tap tempo in preset mode, I'd wait for V2 to come out.

The statement above by Empress saying they had decided against it is referring to selling them stock with that mod included.

SirGilmour
08-05-2013, 02:41 PM

What kind of updates are you looking for?