PDA

View Full Version : Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver

CaptainAwesome
02-23-2013, 08:46 PM
This looks interesting.

From the Skreddy Site: "I've taken every single best aspect of the Screw Driver and Lunar Module and combined them into a format specifically tuned for humbucking pickups--quite a few changes and improvements! So if you love your Les Paul and haven't found a Skreddy Pedal you bond with yet, this one's for you."

http://skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_hybrid_fuzz_driver.htm

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8377/8502497240_a0640f3039.jpg

crxshdxmmy
02-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Interesting indeed. :)

your name here
02-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Cool. Interest piqued....

steelerboy329
02-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Ah, so close to a Lunar Driver!!!

LqdSndDist
02-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Lunar Module is an excellent pedal so I'd imagine this should be nice as well. I personally don't really enjoy fuzz with buckers though so it may not be for me.

I love a fuzz with my strat into a clean or just slightly broken up amp, but with my LP's I like straight ahead amp distortion and never really found I liked the dynamics, or lack there of with the hotter pups.

amphead777
02-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Humbuckers Hmmm.....

monkmiles
02-23-2013, 09:25 PM
I LOVE my Screwdriver with my Les Pauls humbuckers. Curious about this in how it compares. Looks like a Screwdriver with a bc109 input stage instead of mosfet? So maybe more fuzzy capabilities than a Screwdriver?

papersun
02-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Aw crap.

thesooze
02-23-2013, 09:40 PM
This looks interesting.

From the Skreddy Site: "I've taken every single best aspect of the Screw Driver and Lunar Module and combined them into a format specifically tuned for humbucking pickups--quite a few changes and improvements! So if you love your Les Paul and haven't found a Skreddy Pedal you bond with yet, this one's for you."

http://skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_hybrid_fuzz_driver.htm

I'd like to know, in Marc's words, what the "single best aspect of the Screw Driver and Lunar Module" are... :)

Ben S.
02-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Aw crap.

lol, that is the exact thing I just said.

I love my LM, and have been tempted to get a SD for years.

cpricecpa
02-23-2013, 10:09 PM
It always amazes me that when you think you've finished buying gear and nothing else out there could possibly interest you, somebody comes along with something that you just have to have. It just never stops.

keenan
02-23-2013, 10:30 PM
It always amazes me that when you think you've finished buying gear and nothing else out there could possibly interest you, somebody comes along with something that you just have to have. It just never stops.

Step 1: Don't go on tGP

:)

Abandoned
02-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Looks like this and the new Bearfoot Candy Apple Fuzz may be in competition.

Empros
02-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Interesting that it's voiced for Humbuckers.. May have to check this out and make it my first Skreddy pedal.

Skreddy
02-23-2013, 10:59 PM
I'd like to know, in Marc's words, what the "single best aspect of the Screw Driver and Lunar Module" are... :)

The Lunar's input is better suited for humbuckers and cleans up better with the guitar volume. I don't like how the Screw Driver's mosfet input sounds congested with humbuckers or how it darkens slightly when you clean up with the guitar volume. I designed the Screw Driver to not need the guitar volume for clean-up, and it was built using my Strat to achieve all it's target tones; in other words I make Pagey tones with my Strat -> Screw Driver, and I don't bother playing much with the volume knob when I play my Strat.

When you play a Les Paul style guitar, it's really part of the whole experience to adjust the volume controls to dial in the tone, and in my experience I generally have the pickup selector in the middle position and rarely have either volume knob full up.

The Lunar Module's input has zero headroom when using humbuckers. Great for fuzz, but not for cleans or overdrive (like it is with singles).

I love how the Screw Driver's hybrid fuzz (silicon -> germanium) section creates a proper vintage amp-like distortion with its soft edges and how it gets syrupy when you crank its gain, never harsh. And I love how the Lunar Module gets lots more fuzz and aggression and maintains a more neutral EQ rather than a jangly EQ signature like the Screw Driver (which certainly has its place, 'cause hey; variety is the spice of life).

So I started with the Lunar Module's input into the Screw Driver's output section and re-tuned it, both gain-wise and EQ-wise, to work with humbuckers (I'm using my Ibanez SZ520 with vintage Maxon PAF-style humbuckers, which is very close to a '59 Les Paul sonically and electronically) just as well as both pedals do with my Strat (that has Bill Lawrence L-280S noiseless singles).

Here is a list of changes:
- using Screw Driver's .047uf input capacitor instead of the Lunar's 10uf input cap
- limited the overall gain of the input transistor to give it more headroom
- changed the gain control of the input transistor from full-range boost to mid boost
- removed the high-cut from the bass side of the "tightness" control to retain clarity even when in bassy mode
- increased the series resistor on the bass side of the "tightness" control by a great deal so it doesn't overwhelm the fuzz section with boosted bass and excess volume when in bassy mode--instead just has a very natural sounding flubbiness at full counter-clock-wise and of course a tight, but not overly thin, response at full clockwise (much like the Lunar Module at this end of the range), and a neutral EQ at noon
- decreased the filter cap of the 2nd silicon transistor, by a bit, for better high-end clarity
- increased the output volume so that unity gain with loud pickups is still noon on the volume pot (with the Lunar it would have to be turned up to like 2:00 o'clock if I'm not mistaken)
- different output capacitor to match the openness of the humbucker's EQ when in bypass

So I ended up with the same clarity and touch sensitivity as the Screw Driver when using single coils has, excellent volume-knob cleanup, neutral and open EQ, and hotter range of fuzz available than the Screw Driver. Such a pleasure to finally be able to play with 'buckers and hear the same clear string attack and openness into a nice overdrive as it gets straight into the amp (better, even). And the fuzz sustains nice and liquid but not nasty sounding.

thesooze
02-23-2013, 11:23 PM
The Lunar's input is better suited for humbuckers and cleans up better with the guitar volume. I don't like how the Screw Driver's mosfet input sounds congested with humbuckers or how it darkens slightly when you clean up with the guitar volume. I designed the Screw Driver to not need the guitar volume for clean-up, and it was built using my Strat to achieve all it's target tones; in other words I make Pagey tones with my Strat -> Screw Driver, and I don't bother playing much with the volume knob when I play my Strat.

When you play a Les Paul style guitar, it's really part of the whole experience to adjust the volume controls to dial in the tone, and in my experience I generally have the pickup selector in the middle position and rarely have either volume knob full up.

The Lunar Module's input has zero headroom when using humbuckers. Great for fuzz, but not for cleans or overdrive (like it is with singles).

I love how the Screw Driver's hybrid fuzz (silicon -> germanium) section creates a proper vintage amp-like distortion with its soft edges and how it gets syrupy when you crank its gain, never harsh. And I love how the Lunar Module gets lots more fuzz and aggression and maintains a more neutral EQ rather than a jangly EQ signature like the Screw Driver (which certainly has its place, 'cause hey; variety is the spice of life).

So I started with the Lunar Module's input into the Screw Driver's output section and re-tuned it, both gain-wise and EQ-wise, to work with humbuckers (I'm using my Ibanez SZ520 with vintage Maxon PAF-style humbuckers, which is very close to a '59 Les Paul sonically and electronically) just as well as both pedals do with my Strat (that has Bill Lawrence L-280S noiseless singles).

Here is a list of changes:
- using Screw Driver's .047uf input capacitor instead of the Lunar's 10uf input cap
- limited the overall gain of the input transistor to give it more headroom
- changed the gain control of the input transistor from full-range boost to mid boost
- removed the high-cut from the bass side of the "tightness" control to retain clarity even when in bassy mode
- increased the series resistor on the bass side of the "tightness" control by a great deal so it doesn't overwhelm the fuzz section with boosted bass and excess volume when in bassy mode--instead just has a very natural sounding flubbiness at full counter-clock-wise and of course a tight, but not overly thin, response at full clockwise (much like the Lunar Module at this end of the range), and a neutral EQ at noon
- decreased the filter cap of the 2nd silicon transistor, by a bit, for better high-end clarity
- increased the output volume so that unity gain with loud pickups is still noon on the volume pot (with the Lunar it would have to be turned up to like 2:00 o'clock if I'm not mistaken)
- different output capacitor to match the openness of the humbucker's EQ when in bypass

So I ended up with the same clarity and touch sensitivity as the Screw Driver when using single coils has, excellent volume-knob cleanup, neutral and open EQ, and hotter range of fuzz available than the Screw Driver. Such a pleasure to finally be able to play with 'buckers and hear the same clear string attack and openness into a nice overdrive as it gets straight into the amp (better, even). And the fuzz sustains nice and liquid but not nasty sounding.

Well there you go!! Thanks so much Marc.

How does the pedal sound with your Strat?

Fuzzr
02-23-2013, 11:24 PM
^^^exellent post. Thanks Marc.

Skreddy
02-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Well there you go!! Thanks so much Marc.

How does the pedal sound with your Strat?

I have absolutely not even plugged my Strat into it yet. I did not want a single consideration for single coils to enter into my thinking until I was totally finished. And I have a hard time leaving well enough alone, so I thought it best to not tempt myself to do any further tweaking and just perfect it for the target application period.

I would venture to guess that it might be somewhat like the BJF Honey Bee with singles, though, only with lots more available gain and fuzz. Oh did I say BJF? I meant Klon. :banana

chrismellotron
02-23-2013, 11:44 PM
This sounds great. I'm a full-on humbucker user.

thesooze
02-24-2013, 12:12 AM
I have absolutely not even plugged my Strat into it yet. I did not want a single consideration for single coils to enter into my thinking until I was totally finished. And I have a hard time leaving well enough alone, so I thought it best to not tempt myself to do any further tweaking and just perfect it for the target application period.

I would venture to guess that it might be somewhat like the BJF Honey Bee with singles, though, only with lots more available gain and fuzz. Oh did I say BJF? I meant Klon. :banana

Sweet. That's good to focus like that!

I had the Screwdriver but sold it when I got my LMDX. This one intrigues me as a mix of the two pedals, but I'm not much of a humbucker player. :messedup

jocfan1
02-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Fantastic explaination, Skreddy. Really appreciate you taking the time to line it all out for us. I'll be very interested to hear this one myself...

jurfin
02-24-2013, 01:47 AM
and here i was thinking about saving some funds and picking up a screwdriver to play with my LMMD...

lhama
02-24-2013, 01:57 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m62f6foEYA1qa9db0o1_500.gif

DraggAmps
02-24-2013, 02:27 AM
Well shit... ordered. I hope it's really about a 2 month wait. Can't wait to get it and I'll be sure to post a demo when I do. My main guitar lately is a Suhr Modern with buckers and I've been wanting something optimized for that. I actually just ordered a P19 as well and I'm hoping that will work for humbuckers. I don't tend to have too much trouble with Muffs.

I assume this will sound more like a Screw Driver than a Lunar Module? I just hope it doesn't make a LM useless, as I still plan to get another LM now that there's the Mini Deluxe. From what I can tell, I can imagine it might render a Screw Driver useless when using humbuckers, but hopefully the Lunar will still be different enough. A blend of the two seems awesome, anyway. I hope it can get a little more fuzzy that the SD, though. I love the SD but I always felt like I just got a hint of fuzz most of the time and it was almost like a tease :) I wanted a little more fuzz. Hopefully this will do the job, but the fact that it's optimized for humbuckers should make it absolutely perfect regardless. I so freaking love Skreddy pedals. So stoked for this thing right now. :)

The different knobs compared to a Screw Driver should make it capable of much different sounds already, right? BTW, does it look like this will have an unpainted box just like the P19? That will be cool to have it match my P19, but I'd love to see it with dark, dark, dark, sparkle purple. Kind of like the sparkle red Screw Driver but purple, and dark enough that it pretty much looks black in low light.

J.T.
02-24-2013, 05:54 AM
I guess my question would be if already think my LMMD is my all time favorite pedal never unseated on my board and i mostly use it with humbuckers, How will this pedal differ? will this pedal be even better? Never tried a screwdriver. Confusing to say the least

huskerjohn
02-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Looks like I'll be adding another Skreddy to my collection.

sanhozay
02-24-2013, 11:29 AM
p90's, same benefit as humbuggies?

lefort_1
02-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Translation:

We all get poorer.

: w/a wink to Mr A :

Skreddy
02-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Okay, tried it with my Strat this morning.

It actually is a lot more Klon-like, very in the pocket with a nice mid crunch available in addition to the absolutely transparent tones available. None of the controls take it into over-the-top fuzz (humbuckers do get a lot more fuzz out of it than singles), but it's very responsive and still lots of power to tweak your sound. Just more polite and more mids-centric rather than boosting the full range of bass, which creates mush and havoc. The mid boost control is super yummy now and sounds awesome when you crank it as opposed to the "too much" that you could get previously when it was a full-range booster.

Edit: Hiss is no issue now unless the fuzz knob is cranked.

Skreddy
02-24-2013, 12:18 PM
p90's, same benefit as humbuggies?

No doubt.

Skreddy
02-24-2013, 12:21 PM
I guess my question would be if already think my LMMD is my all time favorite pedal never unseated on my board and i mostly use it with humbuckers, How will this pedal differ? will this pedal be even better? Never tried a screwdriver. Confusing to say the least

Will be a true overdrive with high-gain capability rather than an aggressive fuzz with overdrive capability.

Skreddy
02-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Just played with it some more to minimize hiss except when the fuzz knob is cranked, plus voiced the presence control to be a bit more natural sounding and useful throughout the sweep. Sounds great with singles too but the controls are much more responsive with humbuckers.

lhama
02-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Marc. You're not making the wait any easier :-) I cant wait for this one.

PerFusionist
02-24-2013, 07:01 PM
*sigh

Ordered :p

emjee
02-24-2013, 08:04 PM
I love my Mayo with all four of my HB equipped axes! (2 Bakers, a LP and a Hamer FM w/Duncans; a Beck and a 59)

Delayed Delay
02-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Very intruiging...

I have absolutely NO complaints with my LMMD, and it will take a modern miracle for another pedal to kick it off the board, although this is very tempting based on the description alone.

cbpickin
02-24-2013, 10:08 PM
I love my Screwdriver with my humbuckers, so I'm good. I use low output PAF style in everything, so they react pretty well with the SD for me.

I'm still trying to get over the fact that the mini Screwdriver Deluxe came out while I was waiting for my full-sized SD Deluxe to get finished. My pedal became obsolete while I was still waiting for it to be finished! Lol. I keep thinking of selling it and buying a mini, but my board layout usually seems to not matter much which size I have.

DonneR
02-24-2013, 10:19 PM

Interesting.

Delayed Delay
02-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Interesting.

Uh oh

Skreddy
02-25-2013, 01:24 PM
I love my Screwdriver with my humbuckers, so I'm good. I use low output PAF style in everything, so they react pretty well with the SD for me.

I'm still trying to get over the fact that the mini Screwdriver Deluxe came out while I was waiting for my full-sized SD Deluxe to get finished. My pedal became obsolete while I was still waiting for it to be finished! Lol. I keep thinking of selling it and buying a mini, but my board layout usually seems to not matter much which size I have.

So how is it obsolete? It's the same circuit, and you even said the size is not an issue. Honestly I've had a few requests for the bigger version that I couldn't make. Essentially you have a slightly more rare and potentially valuable version.

cajone5
02-25-2013, 02:56 PM
So how is it obsolete?

ob·so·lete
/ˌäbsəˈlēt/
Adjective
No longer produced or used; out of date.

He may not have meant it in a negative way...:drown

Mango Positive
02-25-2013, 06:20 PM
I started thinking "Hey... my LMMD sounds freaking amazing with my humbuckers... how will THIS pedal sound with them!" Then I realized that that's what he WANTS me to think. It's not bad enough that I have gas for the P19 after buying a LMMD in January, a Strymon Mobius in December, and a Strymon Timeline in November? I think I might want to delete this Gear Page bookmark for a while.

Skreddy
02-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Interesting.

Was just pulling ideas out of thin air (things that tend to cook better with buckers); obviously the Honey Bee is a completely different animal altogether (as is the Klon). :bonk

lefort_1
02-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Was just pulling ideas out of thin air (things that tend to cook better with buckers); obviously the Honey Bee is a completely different animal altogether (as is the Klon). :bonk

Sounds like too much Tokaji, to me.

DonneR
02-25-2013, 08:44 PM

Saul Goode my brother --- wasnt quite sure I read it right :aok

Skreddy
02-26-2013, 01:09 AM
Sounds like too much Tokaji, to me.

Oh, it's not the wine really so much, I just wish I hadn't drunk all that cough syrup this morning.

stubbyJ
02-26-2013, 10:16 PM
When will we see/hear clips/vids?

DraggAmps
02-27-2013, 12:42 AM
I'll make a vid when I get mine! Hopefully I'm early-ish on the list. I placed my order pretty shortly after this thread was posted.

stubbyJ
03-02-2013, 01:52 AM
Thanks!

CaptainAwesome
03-11-2013, 04:42 PM
bumping this thread up...

I read that the color is now a Hammertone Gold instead of brushed aluminum.

papersun
03-11-2013, 05:29 PM
^Perf.

Goodwood Audio
03-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Love me some hammertone.

DraggAmps
03-13-2013, 02:35 AM
bumping this thread up...

I read that the color is now a Hammertone Gold instead of brushed aluminum.

Yep, got an email from Marc asking if I'd like mine in hammered gold or brushed aluminum. I went with the gold because my P19 is already brushed aluminum and I didn't want to get them confused (on stage) since they'll be right next to each other.

The hammertone gold version can be seen on the site now:http://skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_hybrid_fuzz_driver.htm

Starsailor
03-13-2013, 06:22 AM
The idea of this pedal is growing on me fast. I have a Screw Driver and a Lunar Module and love them both. I'm currently building another board and thus far my dirt consists of a Hoof Fuzz and Icarus Boost. I wonder how this pedal would fit in.

Funny thing is I was previously considering buying a second screw driver so I could have one on each board. Maybe this one will fit the bill better.

cwcashiniv
03-13-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm waiting for clips of this thing - but my hopes are high. That mid boost control may be a really nice addition to this kind of circuit! If this pedal is anything like Skreddy's other dirt miracles, it's going to be a good one. :drool

CaptainAwesome
03-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Yep, got an email from Marc asking if I'd like mine in hammered gold or brushed aluminum. I went with the gold because my P19 is already brushed aluminum and I didn't want to get them confused (on stage) since they'll be right next to each other.

The hammertone gold version can be seen on the site now:http://skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_hybrid_fuzz_driver.htm

I'm curious when you ordered - I placed my order before starting the thread and didn't get that same mail from Marc. Hoping to get the hammertone gold...

pdouds
03-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Ok, dammit, i went ahead and ordered one. I just couldn't freaking resist. I Really like my screwdriver, but just switched to a superstrat so i just GOTTA try this one. Looks like a 2 month wait. Hope it goes by quickly.

Dale
03-13-2013, 07:59 PM
I have used my Screwdriver with buckers forever. I love it. If I love this more I would be in heaven!

DraggAmps
03-14-2013, 01:24 AM
I'm curious when you ordered - I placed my order before starting the thread and didn't get that same mail from Marc. Hoping to get the hammertone gold...

I ordered within a day of this thread being posted. I believe it was the end of the day of the 23rd. I probably ordered a little bit after you did. He basically said that he was planning to change to gold hammertone as the new standard soon, so I could have my pick. Maybe yours was early enough that your box has already been screen printed and isn't able to be changed now. I dunno, I'd just email him and see what's up. I don't want to cause any trouble speculating.

CaptainAwesome
04-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Anyone receive one of these yet?

pdouds
04-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Just paid the balance due. should be shipping tomorrow.

marvelboy_04
04-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Oh God, I want every single Skreddy dirt pedal right now.

pdouds
04-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Just got mine today. Really cool pedal. This puppy can really rip! It has so much gain and fuzzy goodness it's ridiculous. Definitely a different beast than the screwdriver. I think i will keep both on my board just for sh*ts and giggles.

J.T.
04-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Just got mine today. Really cool pedal. This puppy can really rip! It has so much gain and fuzzy goodness it's ridiculous. Definitely a different beast than the screwdriver. I think i will keep both on my board just for sh*ts and giggles.

Clips please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

monkmiles
04-13-2013, 10:41 AM

Would love to hear comparison/contrast with the Screwdriver when you have a chance. I can't see loving it more than my Screwdriver though (as I love my Screwdriver with humbuckers already) but I'd like to understand where and how different it is in case I'd like both!

pdouds
04-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Ok, i only have a galaxy s3 to record on, but i will try tomorrow. The screwdriver seems better at the gritty rock stuff and the hybrid seems more fuzzy with WAY more gain. Both are stupid grin producing pedals. I could see myself getting by with just those two pedals.

roknfnrol
04-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Damn, this pedal is giving me GAS.

lhama
04-26-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm just got mine, and what a sweet pedal it is. It can do subtle and fuzzy, without loosing anything. So far working with the fuzz low, and the midboost up is my favorit tone, but this one is deep.

PerFusionist
04-26-2013, 05:36 PM
A clip I did comparing and contrasting the HFD and LMDlx with a little Skrecho thrown in for good measure :drink

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1249789

pdouds
04-26-2013, 06:33 PM
I was going to flip mine, but after listening to it compared to my SD, I see what Marc is getting at. Really clean with 'Buckers, and a TON of clean to mean tones. Looks like i might as well leave both on my board. Can't go wrong with a Skreddy pedal.

musictriangle
04-28-2013, 09:41 PM
I play PRS and Gibson with humbucking pickups. I have the Skreddy Lunar Module Mini Deluxe. Wondering how the Hybrid Fuzz Driver would sound compared to my LM and if I need both? Is the sound much different?

PerFusionist
04-28-2013, 09:53 PM
I play PRS and Gibson with humbucking pickups. I have the Skreddy Lunar Module Mini Deluxe. Wondering how the Hybrid Fuzz Driver would sound compared to my LM and if I need both? Is the sound much different?

3 posts up :wave

pdouds
04-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Did a church gig yesterday. This pedal kicks serious butt!

musictriangle
04-30-2013, 08:34 PM
would anyone be able to compare the Skreddy Lunar Module Mini Deluxe to the Hybrid Fuzz Driver with just guitar? There is a nice post on this site, but the drums and bass are louder than the guitar so I cannot single out the guitar well enough to distinguish the differences. They sound exactly the same, which I know can't be. Thanks for the demonstration. Would you mind doing it with just humbucking guitar?

sa1126
04-30-2013, 08:46 PM
not sure how to get youtube to embed, but check this video out.

http://youtu.be/Bq_O-zwWZao

Skreddy
04-30-2013, 09:07 PM
would anyone be able to compare the Skreddy Lunar Module Mini Deluxe to the Hybrid Fuzz Driver with just guitar? There is a nice post on this site, but the drums and bass are louder than the guitar so I cannot single out the guitar well enough to distinguish the differences. They sound exactly the same, which I know can't be. Thanks for the demonstration. Would you mind doing it with just humbucking guitar?

The Lunar is really for aggressive, boosted-type fuzz tones, from Sabbathy riffing/soloing (when you turn the "Body" knob high to simulate a treble boosted front end) to Floydish fuzzy solos (with the Body knob low for fuzzier fatness).

The HFD is much more open and airy and amp-like, but still aggressive. It was designed, basically, to be my Page-in-a-box effect. But since everybody has their own style, it won't be perceived in that way except to those folks who specifically *want* to sound Pagey (E.g., I can sound Gilmourish or SRV-ish through it with a Strat). I emphasize guitar volume-knob cleanup a great deal on this pedal, as that's exactly how Page plays. He can leave the same dirt pedal on (or just plug direct to cranked amp) through a whole concert and get every different tone he needs with the guitar knobs and of course varying attack and technique.

You might assume that the HFD generally sounds bright and aggressive if all you ever do is play chords with hard attack and guitar volume all the way up. But if you like to explore different levels of clean and sparkly and dark with your volume, pickup selection, and pick attack, you'll be greatly rewarded by a responsive partner in tone.

indeedido
04-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Great demo!

Adagietto
04-30-2013, 09:32 PM
not sure how to get youtube to embed, but check this video out.

http://youtu.be/Bq_O-zwWZaoBq_O-zwWZao

bpayne82
05-03-2013, 10:57 AM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq_O-zwWZao">YouTube Link</a>

Awesomeness....sounds great. I can see having this on my board along with the LMMD

SunnyRollins
05-03-2013, 02:23 PM
I wonder how it compares to FoxRox's CC Hybrid?

Moods
05-20-2013, 07:22 PM
This pedal is really special IMO. Spent the last four days with 3 of Marc's pedals; HFD, phaser and echo. All sound great and the HFD is VERY cool and unique IMO. I haven't played anything like it and it doesn't sound like the Lunar or Skrewdriver through my amps. It is much tighter and focused without feeling stiff at all. Nice light papery touch with killer fuzz fragments. Very Jimmy Page!

I don't think the demos out there really do this pedal justice. The pedal takes more than a second to dial in and really shines at band volumes IMO. Being a humbucker dominated player I really appreciate how cool this pedal is. An added bonus is it sounds equally great with my strat and tele.

Marc knocked this one out of the park.

<M

AceBSpankin
05-20-2013, 09:15 PM
What tuning is that in the demo??
It's the intro to what Zep tune??
Really great sound, but.....
for me....
the demo moved a little to fast between settings.

I have the LMS and Screcho, love both pedals. I couldn't hang with the P-19 that I tried
nothing personal,I just don't think I'm a Muff guy.
I know that sounds bad, in more ways that one.
I love D.G.s soaring solos as much as the next guitar player!!
But I'm actually quite happy with my Dirt right now.......I know it sounds weird but,
If I stack a MojoClone>KOT>HoneyBeest>Timmy, can I really need More Gain stages??

indeedido
05-20-2013, 09:41 PM
The Rain Song.

Moods
05-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Played the HFD with a strat last night with my band. I can't emphasize how good this pedal is with any guitar in a band scenario. The strat sounds equally as good as my Les Paul. This sucka is pushing a lot of other pedals aside.

<M

Lolaviola
05-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Played the HFD with a strat last night with my band. I can't emphasize how good this pedal is with any guitar in a band scenario. The strat sounds equally as good as my Les Paul. This sucka is pushing a lot of other pedals aside.

<M
@Moods
Tell me more. I just got my email today.

Skreddy
06-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Moods just sent me this vid he made (his amp, my pedals, Jeff Ruiz on guitar) this morning. After the opening dry chords, Skreddy LMS and HFD are both used throughout along with Echo.
_2riQjj-3y8

indeedido
06-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Awesome!

PerFusionist
06-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Moods just sent me this vid he made (his amp, my pedals, Jeff Ruiz on guitar) this morning. After the opening dry chords, Skreddy LMS and HFD are both used throughout along with Echo.
_2riQjj-3y8

That was fun to watch...he starts with a little smile here and there and by the end he's in full-on guitar face mode :aok

highfidelity66
06-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Wow that sounds really great!

TREV FLINT
06-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Yeah that sure sounds sweet. I'm liking the sound of that Little Miss Sunshine too!

Skreddy
06-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Yeah that sure sounds sweet. I'm liking the sound of that Little Miss Sunshine too!

Yeah, unfortunately you don't get to hear them separately in this clip. Hopefully we can get some more clips of Jeff's playing soon.

cliveluis
06-25-2013, 03:18 AM
anymore users who have tried the HFD?

indeedido
06-25-2013, 07:41 AM
I just got mine last week and I love it. It pushes my superlead in just the right way. I get a nice push more od than fuzz and it sits with just the right frequencies.

cliveluis
06-27-2013, 01:59 PM
I get a nice push more od than fuzz and it sits with just the right frequencies. ...thats sounds cool

NewarkWilder
06-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Love mine!!! So many shades in there. Sounds great into a clean amp, but melts beautifully into amp dirt as well.

I think if I was running a small board, this could easily be the only drive pedal I'd need.

indeedido
06-27-2013, 08:42 PM
I'd like to hear it on a clean amp but cant complain into my dirty one. I'd be curious to compare in person.

ItJustRocks
07-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Just got mine. Really awesome pedal. The tightness, presence and mid boost controls really allow me to dial it in beautifully depending on where I set my amp tone and volume. I would imagine that upon switching guitars similar tweaks could easily help dial in each guitar to sound amazing. I'm blown away by how good it sounds with my Z1-V! Nice work and thank you Marc!!!

*Big shout out to Moods for turning me on to this pedal!

jb1911
07-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Oh, it's not the wine really so much, I just wish I hadn't drunk all that cough syrup this morning.

Nice "Stripes" reference, one of my all time favorite movies. I've been out of the loop I guess, I was cruizing ebay the other day and saw one of these. I'd never heard of them and did some research. It should arrive any day now.

cookieshoes
09-05-2013, 02:08 PM
I'd like to hear it on a clean amp but cant complain into my dirty one. I'd be curious to compare in person.

All of the Skreddy's I have (Screw Driver, Lunar Module, Hybrid Fuzz) go into a clean Fender. Each one sounds great.

Regarding how the Hybrid fits in the lineup alongside the SD and the LM, I've never found the SD and LM to overlap as much as usually gets described, and I don't find that the Hybrid overlaps much with those other two either. Sure, you can tweak the pedals to get certain similar sounds, but the overall character of those sounds is still different enough between each pedal. There is a certain low-mids weight and fullness to the SD that I can't match with the LM, just as there is a brightness and fuzzy cut with the LM that I can't match with the SD. Like others have mentioned, the SD is touch-sensitive, and has a jangle/sparkle overdrive quality to it. To me, the Lunar Module is more the higher gain machine of the bunch, and gets everything from Sabbath to Mellon Collie Pumpkins depending on how you dial it in. SD is more Fillmore Cream and Zep to me. So, having both is easy, as they bring so much variety to the table just with those two pedals.

I think that the Hybrid fits in as a great missing link between the two pedals. Not just for accommodating the shift from Single Coil to Humbucker, but for also having an extra set of tones regardless of what amp or guitar you use. What really surprised me on the Hybrid Fuzz was the mids knob. That alone makes the Hybrid a unique pedal in the lineup, as it allows you to get great boosted midrange lead sounds (crank it enough and you can even get this great parked-wah type sound). Throw in the great cleanup and openness of the overall sound (vs the slightly compressed SD sound, or fuzzy-at-every-setting LM sound), and you have an extremely wide-range of tones.

Really dig this pedal, a winner indeed. Nice Trifecta of drive/fuzz pedals.

BarryW
09-07-2013, 10:14 AM
I really love mine. I've been using it in rehearsals for a few weeks with strat and 335. I got a truly cool tone with the strat into an old pro reverb, especially on the neck pickup. I'm not sure I can live without that sound! But even more interesting are the 335 tones with that thing. Do NOT pass up the opportunity to work with volume and tone knobs! That's where this pedal really shines, in the in-betweens. It's superb cranked too. There are so many variations from just slightly dirty to really thick, that you could easily put two of these on a board to use for different settings. Superb pedal Marc !

billyg121
01-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Bumping this for more thoughts. Is this pedal similar to the Scarab Deluxe?

cliveluis
01-19-2014, 04:10 AM
scarab is a gated type fuzz based on the tone bender circuit ..im not sure if they are based on the description of HYbrid Fuzz Driver

Lolaviola
01-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Think of th HFD kinda like a treble booster.

musictriangle
01-21-2014, 09:37 PM
I have the Skreddy Lunar Module, and then got the Hybrid Fuzz. To me the Hybrid does what it says it does. It sounds like a strong overdrive that you can control with the volume of your guitar. It gives a wonderful crunch sound when all turned up around half way. If you turn it all up to "11" it gets really close to the fuzz power sustain of the lunar module. For myself I would use the Lunar for more single lead notes and the Hybrid for rhythm. Although the Hybrid can be used for lead also. Just for me, since I have the Lunar also, I give them both their own task. If you had the Lunar and Hybrid, you might not need any other pedals for "dirt."

62Tele
02-11-2014, 05:54 PM
So has this one fallen off the radar already?

insubordination
02-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Great pedal, one of the best dirt boxes I've owned. Very versatile, *great* volume knob roll off.

Traded mine for a Sunface to finally try one of those, but I ended up selling that since it wasn't my thing. Should've kept the HFD!

mcnabbanov
02-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Bhz_econo's favorite pedal

guitarslinger21
02-11-2014, 07:52 PM

I grabbed one and LOVE it.

It's like somewhere between the screwdriver and the Lunar Module. It does those somber, mid gain tones I so love.

These are totally underrated.

62Tele
02-12-2014, 12:27 AM
Sounds like they're underrated - I was surprised to see dealers had them in stock.

lhama
02-12-2014, 04:28 AM
Very underated pedal. It is one of my keybuys of 2013. It starts like Page in a box, but like the lunar modul, it can do so much more.

Skreddy
02-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Very underated pedal. It is one of my keybuys of 2013. It starts like Page in a box, but like the lunar modul, it can do so much more.

:) Yeah, I would have been happy with just Page in a box. But you gotta figure with 5 knobs it should be able to do quite a lot. Does an amazing SRV (Strat using 4th pickup-switch position) cooking Texas Blues tone, too, and volume-knob cleanup is like no other, retains high end, no treble bleed mod required. I was just playing with it the other day and thinking about the Klon and Soul Food and all the other clones, and basically it struck me that one of the things that that circuit does is it FORCES it to filter more highs and lows (via a dual-ganged pot) as you increase the gain. I could do that too, but then again why not let the user have all the control? So you can have your mid hump and darken/warm up the high end if you want. Turns out that is really a great idea if you're looking for your pedal to sound more amp-like! Turning up the gain? Turn down the Presence at the same time. (And vice versa) But if you want it to sound more like a fuzz pedal and less like a cranked amp, then ignore this rule. The mid boost control has a ton of gain in it if you ever want to experiment with an almost cocked-wah tone. Don't want a mid hump? Turn that knob down to zero.

I'm not so sure it ever really made it on the radar. I think it's gonna be one of those slow burners though, and after a while it'll find its way onto a lot of "must have" lists like its 2 cousins the SDMD and LMMD already are.

Edit: I know, I know; every time I get on one of these Skreddy threads and start tooting my own horn, it's like throwing cold water on it. I'm not trying to be a thread killer. I just want to fill in a few details for anyone who is on the fence about this pedal or wants to know a bit more about it from the builder's point of view. Those of you who are experienced with my work know that you can trust my descriptions of my own products--bring it home and whaddaya know that's what it really does.

Dale
02-12-2014, 08:30 PM
If you folks keep talking about it I will have to get one to go with my 2 Screwdrivers and LM.

Jaredstepp
02-12-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm very interested in this pedal, have been since it came out. Love the idea of a fuzz that drives well, a fuzz for non-traditional fuzz guys. I've heard some really nice tones from the videos I've watched, but honestly I just haven't heard enough.

The demo videos are fairly limited in scope - no offense to those guys - they're awesome players. I just didn't feel like any video turns the knobs and explores the options that the pedal offers well enough to give me a good idea of the capabilities that are talked about in the description. So I've listened to Screw Driver demos and Lunar Module demos and tried to imagine - but my imagination only goes so far.

Bottom line - I want to hear more.

I'd do a demo video myself if given the opportunity. I have no problem dropping serious money on a great pedal - but I do need convincing - flipping pedals gets expensive

musictriangle
02-12-2014, 10:27 PM
I have the Hybrid, the Lunar Module and the Mayo. They are all VERY different. I use the Hybrid with hum buckers on my Les Paul and on PRS. It sounds beautiful. If you turn everything to 10, it sounds pretty close to the Lunar Module, but I think the Lunar has more strength than the Hybrid for lead and the Lunar can get more far out there. I use the Hybrid for rhythm and it sounds beautiful. It can sound like an OD on my marshall amp, or mid way up it adds a great crunch sound. I then use the Mayo for a smooth big muff type of lead and the Lunar for a 70's fuzz sounding lead. I'll never sell any of these. If you don't have the Hybrid, you don't know what you are missing!

Grubgoat
03-13-2014, 02:52 AM
I just got one of these. Its early on, but I have to say, this one IS something different. Kinda woody and open, bass and low-mids are definitely backed off and the high-end is more on display (so that, when I turned it off, my guitar seemed "dark"). Hasn't gotten harsh yet. Seems to have more gain than the SD, less than the LM. Mids knob also adds to the gain.

Definitely cleans up well. Articulate is maybe a great word for it, I need to play it more. I could get it to do that "fuzz note-grab" where the note sags, but it also would "un-grab" smoothly and seamlessly, like a transparently-set compressor, where you hardly know its on.

I didn't find the Mids knob to get "cocked-wah", but I'm thinking I should compare this to my Rat, seems they share some sonic space... Middy-Fuzzy-OD/Distortion

Rxbnmk
03-19-2014, 09:19 PM
I have the Hybrid, the Lunar Module and the Mayo. They are all VERY different. I use the Hybrid with hum buckers on my Les Paul and on PRS. It sounds beautiful. If you turn everything to 10, it sounds pretty close to the Lunar Module, but I think the Lunar has more strength than the Hybrid for lead and the Lunar can get more far out there. I use the Hybrid for rhythm and it sounds beautiful. It can sound like an OD on my marshall amp, or mid way up it adds a great crunch sound. I then use the Mayo for a smooth big muff type of lead and the Lunar for a 70's fuzz sounding lead. I'll never sell any of these. If you don't have the Hybrid, you don't know what you are missing!

How does the lunar module perform on the Prs?

musictriangle
03-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Actually that's all I usually play lately is on the PRS with hum bucking pickups. So my description of the Hybrid and Lunar Module is for the PRS. The Lunar Module sings with my PRS. It has a wonderful long sustain and a true fuzz sound. It can sound like a violin sustain to me, or it can get aggressive and sound very tough. There is so much control with the controls for Body, Bright and Range. The Range sets the input of the transistor to make it more aggressive or tame, the Body controls the amount of bass and the Bright controls the brilliance. And of course the Volume and Fuzz controls. If you want to stand out and be heard the Lunar Module will do that.

PlinytheWelder
03-21-2014, 12:42 AM
I just bought one... Let's see what happens! :D

Dale
03-28-2014, 10:57 AM
I have to say there are ways in which I love this board and some that I do not. I really wanted to not get the HFD. People just HAD to keep posting youtube demos and clips ... now mine is on the way. :drool

Dang it just sounds so good (for others). I expect it and my SD will be buddies on the board. Now - which SD to move to the other board. :huh

http://www.tonefactor.com/v/vspfiles/templates/circuit/images/company/logo.jpg (http://www.tonefactor.com/Default.asp)

Hello Dale,

Your order has shipped. (Order#: 398 placed on 03/28/2014) ...

PlinytheWelder
04-12-2014, 11:57 PM
I'm patiently waiting for my email... Really looking forward to this pedal... :D

neverrecover
04-13-2014, 07:08 AM
Got one on the way! Super psyched.

cliveluis
04-14-2014, 12:39 AM
bring on the reviews ..cant wait to hear more of this peda!!!

Dale
04-14-2014, 07:37 AM
I am still in Chicago. Unless my wife tossed it the pedal is still on the dresser.

62Tele
06-23-2014, 11:27 PM
Reviving this thread. Received a HFD today and I'm very impressed. Despite what it was designed for and all that, it gets me into something along the lines of a cranked tweed that cleans up quite nicely with the volume knob on my tele. Current stack is

Suhr Iso Boost > Lovepedal Kalamazoo Gold > HFD

Tried it the other way around and things didn't stack so well, but in this order they all get along nicely and give me a great range of tones. The Kalamazoo is set for low Iso gain with more bottom end, and drives the HFD nicely, and the Suhr is a very transparent clean boost that slams the front end and gives the HFD a bit more bottom end (but still note bloated).

It'll get used in a mix in a couple if days and gigged next week, so the proof is still pending, but so far, very good first impression.

monkmiles
07-04-2014, 09:55 AM
How does it interact with a wah pedal? Does it have issues like a traditional fuzz does? I'll email Marc about it too.

Skreddy
07-04-2014, 11:19 AM
How does it interact with a wah pedal? Does it have issues like a traditional fuzz does? I'll email Marc about it too.

Works great with wah pedals, no issues at all.

monkmiles
07-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Works great with wah pedals, no issues at all.

Thanks Marc! Don't bother responding to my email then.

And ToneFactor.com now has one less Hybrid Fuzz Driver! Justed ordered one now...coincidentally ToneFactor is where I had ordered my SDMD from too a couple years ago. Looking forward to seeing it it might be a better fit on my board than the Screwdriver (since I used humbuckers).

PlinytheWelder
07-24-2014, 10:43 PM
This is a great pedal!

I finally gave it a workout with my Strat into the Express type amp I built
and I've fallen in love with this thing. It does the clean to mean exceptionally well and is a really open and articulate sounding pedal. The mid-boost control alone is worth it for the versatility it gives you. I'm surprised this pedal isn't talked about more because I think Marc hit this one out of the park.

Bobby D
07-24-2014, 11:03 PM
It's been a couple of years since I shot a fuzz pedal demo, and the hybrid fuzz driver is going to be my first! Looking forward to having my way with Skreddy....LOL.

Hi TGP!

monkmiles
07-25-2014, 08:17 PM
I was able to compare it to the Screwdriver. Pretty different. Yes they could be dialed in to overlap but the Hybrid Fuzz Driver is brighter with less compression and reacts more to your guitars volume control. The HFD has a bit more gain. If you like to use a pedal as an always on amp sort of thing, the HFD works well for that. I prefer the Screwdriver for my needs though because I don't need quite the volume knob cleanup and I like how the Screwdriver compresses with humbuckers actually...gets kinda tweed-like...actually more like Custard Pie in my mind. They both rock.

Dale
07-25-2014, 09:23 PM
I have been playing both for a while now. I am not sure how much is my dialing and how much is the difference in pedals. The HFD seems smoother and less tweedy than the SD to me. I really like the SD's voice for me needs. I have actually been mostly using the HFD to stack with the SD and find I really like the pairing.