PDA

View Full Version : Digitech RP500 vs. RP1000 vs. GSP-1101

Mangy71
02-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Is the amp modeling the same in all of these, or is the quality of the amp sounds better on the RP1000 and GSP-1101?

I have the chance to pick up an RP500 cheap, but I am wondering if it is inferior in sounds, or just has fewer features.

dance2noise002
02-28-2013, 12:10 PM
RP500 was great.. however I was very disappointed with the built in Whammy effect. It might be better in the RP1000.

jrockbridge
02-28-2013, 12:47 PM
The 1101 with c63 Beta firmware allows loading custom IR's. This makes a big difference in terms of the tonal capabilities.

The RP500 is a great unit in many ways. Some of the fx are actually superior to the L6 HD500 IMO. The weakest aspect of the RP500 is the cab sims.

3dognate
02-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Is the amp modeling the same in all of these, or is the quality of the amp sounds better on the RP1000 and GSP-1101?

I have the chance to pick up an RP500 cheap, but I am wondering if it is inferior in sounds, or just has fewer features.

Where in Central Illinois are you? I'll be gigging with the GSP1101 Fri 7-11 at "The Windjammer" in Bloomington... come by...

trabant
02-28-2013, 01:00 PM
The 1101 with c63 Beta firmware allows loading custom IR's. This makes a big difference in terms of the tonal capabilities.

The RP500 is a great unit in many ways. Some of the fx are actually superior to the L6 HD500 IMO. The weakest aspect of the RP500 is the cab sims.

+1

Weakest link in all the RP's are the cab sims...some of them are horrible. I use the Digitech Speaker compensation "cab" when going to powered monitors, seems to mitigate the damage somewhat.

I went from the RP500 to the RP1000 and IMO there is no difference at all in the modeling. I got the 1000 because I wanted both the Amp Loop and the Effects Loop. The GSP only has a single loop.

From what I have heard, the GSP sounds a little more compressed, or "studio" than the RP's which have a little more raw sound. It depends on what your preference is.

The ability to load IR's with the GSP is huge. IMO, it holds it's own with the like of the 11 rack and even more expensive products.

I wish Digitech would come out with a new RP1000 that could load IR's and have a signal chain that could be modified (and wasn't tied to an iPad)...that would satisfy my lust for an Axe Fx for another couple years or so.

Mangy71
02-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Where in Central Illinois are you? I'll be gigging with the GSP1101 Fri 7-11 at "The Windjammer" in Bloomington... come by...

I am in Springfield, so not too far. Might see if I can make it. Still not sure if I should pass on the RP500 based on the comments so far. I really don't need it, but I was curious to try it for $130.

Will Chen
02-28-2013, 02:43 PM
To answer your question, the same basic tones are available in all the products listed but there are definitely features each has which are unique to the model. Here's a few things I recorded with the RP500:

No post processing, an attempt to show the unit's response to a treble bleed circuit. Forget which model this is.
https://soundcloud.com/willchen28/treble-bleed-rp500

Not sure if I used a reverb in post. Probably. Matchless model with a strat. Kicked in TS model for the dirtier stuff.
https://soundcloud.com/willchen28/emmies-song

This has some heavy post processing, but was recorded direct with the RP500. I used one of the Digitech sepcific modelsd, I think it was DigiSpank.
https://soundcloud.com/willchen28/the-day-after-yesterday-3

Steven7
02-28-2013, 03:02 PM

Maybe a finicky cork sniffer wouldn't dig it but I think most people would like the RP 500. It differs in ways but not many from the GSP 1101 and RP 1000. But you say you can get this cheaply, if it is in good working condition sounds like a good deal.
If it doesn't have the Cubass + The RP 500 software , Maybe Digitech will just give you that.
The Rp 500 doesn't have the 4 cable hook up system like the 1000 so integrating pedals with it , maybe not , I have tried but no luck. In a way it doesn't need them anyway. The issue of cabs is so but it has some very good ones and you can go direct ,,DIRECT is one of the options in the menu. It is equipped with 2 quarter inch outs and 2 XLR jacks out.
I like running dual amps , sounds great through SS amps, but I need a compressor pedal in the amps effects loop on my Classic 30 to make it sound great. But other Tube amps should be fine.
I have not played it through a PA or Powered Speakers just amps, very good results.
I hear some good RP clips but some really bad ones, sometimes just a slight adjustment on the amps eq makes extreme difference.
I use it on the amps direct input and have had poor results trying to run it in an amplifier's effects loop. Some people may have different results.
You can download the manual , there are a few tricky things like setting the wha pedal so it functions right. Very good wha, better than some stand alone wha pedals. Best $200 I've ever spent on gear.
It ain't no Axe FX II but it it ain't your grandmas old zoom pedal from 20 years ago either.

gulliver
02-28-2013, 03:12 PM
I am in Springfield, so not too far. Might see if I can make it. Still not sure if I should pass on the RP500 based on the comments so far. I really don't need it, but I was curious to try it for $130.

That is a good deal, although, these are getting a little old in the tooth. I sold my RP1000 and recently picked up an (even older) Vox Tonelab LE for about that price. Even more aged than the RP, but I think you can tweak it for a couple of killer amp tones, rather than having a lot of okay tones as with the RP. If you're just using it for FX, that RP500 might be a good choice, but I never bonded with the delays and feel they don't let you turn them down to a subtle enough level.

pomfret
02-28-2013, 03:18 PM
I got the 1000 because I wanted both the Amp Loop and the Effects Loop. The GSP only has a single loop.

Sorry, but that's wrong: GSP has amp loop and effects loop, too.

What I've read is that RP series has a small gap between patches (I don't know for sure, as I only have the GSP), while GSP has seamless transition between them.

I've used it direct (for recording or straight to PA) and with amp (4 cable method or direct to combo's return, as it has great amp simulations) and it's one of the best gear pieces I've ever had.

In fact, I sold it due to financial reasons and I've just bought it again recently after going through endless pedalboard configurations. IMO, this is easier, cheaper, and better sounding than most boutique pedalboards I've had or tried.

jwoertz
02-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Will, those RP500 recordings are FANTASTIC. It makes me want to go back to my RP1000 like right now! Even now, I miss the RP1000's ease of use during gigs. The Zoom G5 sounds great but I miss the RP!

Will Chen
02-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Sorry, but that's wrong: GSP has amp loop and effects loop, too.

What I've read is that RP series has a small gap between patches (I don't know for sure, as I only have the GSP), while GSP has seamless transition between them.

I've used it direct (for recording or straight to PA) and with amp (4 cable method or direct to combo's return, as it has great amp simulations) and it's one of the best gear pieces I've ever had.

In fact, I sold it due to financial reasons and I've just bought it again recently after going through endless pedalboard configurations. IMO, this is easier, cheaper, and better sounding than most boutique pedalboards I've had or tried.

No, he was right. The GSP has a single loop which can function as either an effects or amp loop. The RP1000 has 2 actual physical loops.

Will, those RP500 recordings are FANTASTIC. It makes me want to go back to my RP1000 like right now! Even now, I miss the RP1000's ease of use during gigs. The Zoom G5 sounds great but I miss the RP!

Thanks. I sold the RP500 long ago and am currently using a KPA. But honestly I go back and listen to some of my old recordings with the RP500 and feel I should have just stayed there. Would've saved a ton of dough! :facepalm :cool:

pomfret
02-28-2013, 04:05 PM
No, he was right. The GSP has a single loop which can function as either an effects or amp loop. The RP1000 has 2 actual physical loops.

Ooops, yes, sorry, my bad, I misunderstood. I meant its loop can be used for amp or for effects.

What many people doesn't seem to know (not GSP users, but the rest of people) is that beta versions turn this modeler/multifx into a completely different beast, but that's something you can't know until you have it with them installed.

tonesurf
03-01-2013, 07:40 AM
great sounding clips, I think all those Digitech units, which are getting kind of older now, are still great sounding and great features and competitive overall

Nazgul666
03-01-2013, 07:47 AM
I just did this with the ipb-10 which I assume has the same quality modeling as the RP1000. All the guitars are recorded with that IPB-10.

https://soundcloud.com/mventura-1-1/logical

Mangy71
03-01-2013, 09:49 AM
I just did this with the ipb-10 which I assume has the same quality modeling as the RP1000. All the guitars are recorded with that IPB-10.

https://soundcloud.com/mventura-1-1/logical

Nice! That reminded me of Jake E. Lee era Ozzy!

beexter
03-01-2013, 10:21 AM
As a happy RP500 owner I'd say go for it. At that price, it's a no-brainer. It may be a bit older in modelling terms but don't let that put you off. There are some great tones in the RP's with some (IMO) very good modelled effect pedals.

As well as the sound, I really like the ease of use. It is super quick and easy to make "on-the-fly" tweaks to patches which to me is really important as I tend to use it live more than anything.

The RP500 also has an Aux Input for plugging in an MP3 player which makes it great for practise too. The RP1000 doesn't have this.

The only downside I have found is that whilst the modelled distortion/ drive pedals sound good, they don't have enough volume to act as a boost in the way a separate analogue pedal would.

I just want a good-sounding, solidly built, EASY TO USE multi-fx and the RP 500 ticks all the boxes for me. I haven't the budget for Kemper, Axe etc.
The Boss Me-70 is the only other pedal that seems to offer the same ease of use as the RP but doesn't have the same number of options for amp and effect models so for now, the RP500 stays.

Nazgul666
03-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Nice! That reminded me of Jake E. Lee era Ozzy!

Holy cow, that's the nicest thing anyone ever said to me, lol.

The funny thing about that clip is that I just downloaded Logic Pro and decided to try to learn a DAW, which is something ath has always intimidated me. I didn't want to deal with drum loops so I bought a cheap drumset from Guitar Center and a set of drum mics. Well, I don't play drums so that fairly simple groove was a bit of a challenge. Anyway, I laid down 2 rhythm guitar tracks to a click, panned them left and right and went ahead learning how to record drums.

Long story short, by the time I got to lead guitars, whcih is the only thing I'm really interested in, I just wanted the damn thing over with. So there is a lot of stuff in there I'm not happy with but my first project is done.

But back to the topic at hand. The IPB-10 was really easy to record with. Actually, I fired up my Peavey 6505+ and threw an sm57 in front of my cab and recorded that too, and to be honest there was not enough difference in the digitech and the real amp to deal with that. With the modeler you know what you have, with the amp if I move the mic from one day to the next the sound is different. Plus, to be completely honest, the sound quality wasn't really that different.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Mike

Steven7
03-01-2013, 01:03 PM

Thanks. I sold the RP500 long ago and am currently using a KPA. But honestly I go back and listen to some of my old recordings with the RP500 and feel I should have just stayed there. Would've saved a ton of dough! :facepalm :cool:

Hey Will, thanks to your old Zoom G ??? and RP 255 shootout clips and review you did on your site in 2010, I took a shot and got an RP 500. It was the right one for me due to fine sounds and user friendliness. That's a whole lot stuff in one box. In terms of single pedals you could spend thousands before you'd come close to what's in the magic box.
Sure there are lots of throw away gimmicky things no one would ever use in there but there is even more good stuff that can even make a hack like me look good. The effects are righteous,, one guy with several Wah pedals said he liked the RP wahs better than his stand alones. I had a Weeping Demon wah and IMO the RP wahs ( there are several ) are way better.
I think of it as the poor mans Axe FX. I have no plans to ever get rid of it.
All these sound clips in this thread sound good to me as do lots of the other RP and GSP clips Gearpagers have posted.

Sometimes just a small amount of gain and reverb on the amp and slight amp EQ adjustments will integrate very nicely with the RP 500 and produce some real nice sounds.