PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha QY-100 urgent questions!

Prosvetlen
03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
I need something similar to the QY-100, but with much bigger capacity: the QY-100 takes SmartMedia memory cards with not more than 32 Mb. I need something more than 50 Gg. I need the ability to play midi files, to edit them, I need a Guitar input and Guitar miltieffects. Please, help me.

Prosvetlen
03-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Again...

8TrackJoe
03-05-2013, 06:47 PM
The QY-100 is a unique device. Over the years I've looked into getting one, but never did make the purchase. Since the device is only playing Midi files the the yamaha STY (I believe that's the extension) files 32 megs is more than enough room. I would imagine that you would be able to hold a hundred plus midi files on a 32 meg card. Aside from the Boss DR-5 I'm not familiar with many other midi/keyboard type of devices that have guitar effects built in. The new Boss DR-880 is similar, but it only has bass and drums. Also I believe (not 100% certain) that the QY-100 also can function as a real time arranger. So you can either play the chords from the key pad or hook up an external midi keyboard and it will change chords with you. The QY-100 has been around for a long time. As a guitarist and keyboardist I've considered the device. If you can provide a little more info on how you want to use the device I might can provide a little more info.

Joe

stratoskier
03-05-2013, 07:46 PM
I believe the old Digitech GNX-4 "Workstation" pedals could hold/play midi tracks, had a pretty high capacity, and had decent modeling and effects. There are some users here who still praise these units.

But if you really need 50Gb of storage, I suspect you're going to be limited to the laptop + software solution. Or perhaps an outboard midi player to store and load the files, coupled with one of these units?

mattball826
03-05-2013, 11:49 PM
our kb guy has a qy100 and so do i. it uses midi via smart media and you wont find smart media cards 50gb. we have over 250 midi songs on the 32mb card we use with room to spare. 50gb would be massive storage and probably take the qy100 an hour to load a file.

our avg midi songs are 21kb-56kb, most around 30kb. if you remove guitar and other non essential medley parts most midi files have in them you shorten the size another 30%. 32mb will store a lot of songs.

there is nothing else like the qy100 afaik. still one of the bigger midi portable devices used with one man bands or host for kb controllers.

only other thing to use is n.i bandstand on a pc. i dont think they make it anymore though. you can open midi files in many daws and use vsti to playback sounds too.

mattball826
03-05-2013, 11:58 PM
I believe the old Digitech GNX-4 "Workstation" pedals could hold/play midi tracks, had a pretty high capacity, and had decent modeling and effects. There are some users here who still praise these units.

But if you really need 50Gb of storage, I suspect you're going to be limited to the laptop + software solution. Or perhaps an outboard midi player to store and load the files, coupled with one of these units?

gnx4 midi playback is drums only. there are no other synths on the gnx4. you could store up to 100 mp3 songs (backing tracks) on any flash card. need more songs, use a different flash card.

my former guitarist used gnx4 in one man band gig for about 5 years. uses a pc now, but has the gnx4 with him for backup.

Prosvetlen
03-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Thank you all for the info. Here's some more explanation on what I want to do with it: I want to use it for a midi player playing continuously midi files (I have a VERY large collection of international midi files); I want to be able to play together with it through it's own guitar input, which should be equipped with some amplification and MFX. The Yamaha QY-100 got all that, but it's very insufficient when it comes to capacity. I am that type of person that like to listen to music, even if only MIDI, all the time, day and night (you should see my mp3 collection), and this is why I need something like 20-50 Gb. Now, there's one other beauty: http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1141

It's rather expensive, though, and I don't know if it will recognize an external USB hard drive filled to the brim with MIDI. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Prosvetlen
03-06-2013, 10:32 AM
OK, I got this: USB port is provided for connecting to industry-standard USB storage devices such as a USB key or self-powered USB hard disk for playing and modifying/saving files.The attached USB hard disc should be self-powered. Kinda clumsy.

8TrackJoe
03-06-2013, 12:55 PM
The Roland BK7-M is overkill and not designed for what you want to do. It's an Arranger module designed to work with an external keyboard. It's for the One Mand Band setups. You play a chord on the keyboard and the arrangement styles (not midi files) changes chords with you. I'm surprised that Roland put in the Karaoke section of their site. On second thought, no I'm not surprised they did that. (sarcasm intended).

You might want to check out the Roland eBand JS-10, http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1241/451. It won't play midi from what I can tell, but it has a guitar input, usb port, and guitar effects, plays mp3 and wave. You can check out some demos of it on YouTube.

As for using midi, the QY-100 is about the last of its kind, from what I can tell. I'm actually surprised that it's still being sold since it was released in 2000. Aside from these two devices the only suggestions that I could make would be a laptop with an audio interface or maybe an iPad with an audio interface. But I’ve not dug very deep into either of those setups. All my midi stuff is computer based sequencing then recording guitars and vocals.

Joe

stratoskier
03-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Joe may be on the right track there. Why not simply convert all those midi files to mp3s and then you have a gazillion options? I know there are many software options for that task -- I used to use Band-in-a-Box to make mp3s from smf (midi) files. There are probably some programs that will do a "batch" operation on a bunch of midi files so you wouldn't have to load them individually. Then any mp3 player plugged into the Aux input on a modeler will give you (almost) an all-in-one solution.

Prosvetlen
03-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Why not simply convert all those midi files to mp3s and then you have a gazillion options?Absolutely not an option: the idea is to turn on/off certain midi instruments and jam with the rest of them, depending on the piece. Here I found something extremely intriguing, in my opinion: http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/937

Prosvetlen
03-07-2013, 11:49 AM
But it's only a midi player: it doesn't have the option to amplify or add MFX to a guitar input. Which is too bad--I hoped that I can do everything through only one unit. If I have to bring in a laptop + audio interface, etc., there's no point there.