PDA

View Full Version : Gibson "CustomBuckers"

Guinness Lad
03-13-2013, 07:41 AM
I have a 58' Vos and I always thought they were BB's but I tore into the guitar yesterday as the neck read 8.38 and the bridge is 7.84. I decided to reverse them but read the tag on the backside and it said 'Custombucker rhythm" and "Custombucker bridge".

I never heard of this so I went on line and sure enough that's what was listed. How do these differ? I switched the pu location and am now set, the slightly nasal quality I was experiencing in the bridge went away when moved to the neck and the neck pu sounds great in the bridge...I think the pu's were mislabeled is all.

kracdown
03-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Is it a 2013? the 2013 Gibson historic Les Paul's have custombuckers, which used to be exclusive to certain models like the Collectors Choice series.

Guinness Lad
03-13-2013, 10:45 AM
mine's a 2011 but it say's custombuckers on the back not burstbuckers at all.

kracdown
03-13-2013, 10:56 AM
That's very interesting! Is it all stock? is it just a run of the mill R8?

BGNY
03-13-2013, 12:42 PM
What differentiates the bb from the custom bucker?

Guinness Lad
03-13-2013, 12:53 PM
That's very interesting! Is it all stock? is it just a run of the mill R8?

I bought it brand new in 2011 from GC. I thought for sure it was BB pu's but when I read the tag BB was no where to be found. Guitar is dead stock.

Hackubus
03-13-2013, 12:59 PM
What differentiates the bb from the custom bucker?

Alnico III magnets for starters, the rest I can only speculate.

Guinness Lad
03-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Here's a picture for reference -

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/harryjmic/P1000927_zpsdd5b9b4d.jpg

kracdown
03-13-2013, 06:54 PM
I think they made a lucky (for you) mistake at the factory. Not sure about the tonal qualities, but until this year they were reserved for only the highest end historics, not the run of the mill historics.

Guinness Lad
03-13-2013, 07:06 PM
I think they made a lucky (for you) mistake at the factory. Not sure about the tonal qualities, but until this year they were reserved for only the highest end historics, not the run of the mill historics.

That's great to hear then so it seems like I got the pu's put into the Clapton model, and all the other iconic players. No wonder this was the hottest guitar at GC during that brief four day period it resided in the store.

Pete Faragher
03-13-2013, 09:33 PM
My 2011 55' series LP has 'em too. I was surprised when I found out they were the Custom Buckers....specs said burstbuckers.
I will say this, they sound killer. I wouldn't think of replacing them.

cheers
pete

cap217
03-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Here's a picture for reference -

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/harryjmic/P1000927_zpsdd5b9b4d.jpg

4 conductor AND no solder (loose solder)?

Guinness Lad
03-14-2013, 04:41 AM
4 conductor AND no solder (loose solder)?

Not sure what you mean. 4 Conductor, and wax potted.

cap217
03-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Not sure what you mean. 4 Conductor, and wax potted.

The 4 conductor might make it a "custom" but what I was talking about is that there is no solder holding the cover on the top and it looks like the solder on the bottom right corner is not attached to the pickup.

Guinness Lad
03-14-2013, 07:57 AM
The 4 conductor might make it a "custom" but what I was talking about is that there is no solder holding the cover on the top and it looks like the solder on the bottom right corner is not attached to the pickup.

Covers are secure, no issues there.

2HBStrat
03-14-2013, 08:01 AM

This may be an odd question but if these are Gibson's 'best' then why don't they put them in all of their guitars? Why even use lesser pickups if the best are available to them?

cap217
03-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Covers are secure, no issues there.

If that pic is of your actual pickup... Where is the solder on the top? Pickup covers usually have solder on the top and bottom. I only see the bottom and that doesnt even look like it is on properly.

I am sure the covers are secure because they are tight. But for sure, in the pic, there is no solder on the top.

ANyone else see this?

cap217
03-14-2013, 11:38 AM
I circled where it looks like the solder is not connected to the cover. For sure there is no solder on the top part of the cover:

http://imageshack.us/a/img16/6526/pickuppic.jpg

Here is a pic of a cover with the usual solder marks on the top and bottom:

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/6701/pickupsolder.png

walterw
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Yeah, they didn't come from Gibson like that!

Guinness Lad
03-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Yeah, they didn't come from Gibson like that!

So you are insinuating that Gibson now sells old guitars as new? Keep in mind I saw that guitar the day it arrived and I was the first owner. Consider this for a moment, the rhythm pu measures 8.38 and the lead measures 7.84 (as marked by the builder) .

Here's what I believe, the person who made the pu's might have been buzzed and forgot to solder the covers and mislabeled the pu's. Makes no difference to me as the guitar sounds excellent.

kracdown
03-14-2013, 12:14 PM
This may be an odd question but if these are Gibson's 'best' then why don't they put them in all of their guitars? Why even use lesser pickups if the best are available to them?

"best" is relative.. I can only speculate why they were reserved for their higher end Les Pauls... People think that Gibson's 57 set is the best. Each pickup gibson offers is different, some appeal to people and some don't.

cap217
03-14-2013, 12:27 PM
So you are insinuating that Gibson now sells old guitars as new? Keep in mind I saw that guitar the day it arrived and I was the first owner. Consider this for a moment, the rhythm pu measures 8.38 and the lead measures 7.84 (as marked by the builder) .

Here's what I believe, the person who made the pu's might have been buzzed and forgot to solder the covers and mislabeled the pu's. Makes no difference to me as the guitar sounds excellent.

You are getting very defensive here for no reason. I am pointing something out that I found. You reply with NO ISSUES AND PICKUPS SOUND FINE. Ok.... But if you solder the covers on, you might get some better sound (less feedback or squeal). Gibson QC wasnt on that day. I wonder what the other pickup looks like. I wonder if the bottom is actually soldered on?

Pickups will work with the covers just sitting on but like I said, you might save some squeal/feeedback. Id fix it if I were you but you seem to not want to.

kracdown
03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
You are getting very defensive here for no reason. I am pointing something out that I found. You reply with NO ISSUES AND PICKUPS SOUND FINE. Ok.... But if you solder the covers on, you might get some better sound (less feedback or squeal). Gibson QC wasnt on that day. I wonder what the other pickup looks like. I wonder if the bottom is actually soldered on?

Pickups will work with the covers just sitting on but like I said, you might save some squeal/feeedback. Id fix it if I were you but you seem to not want to.

My Gibson pickups always have solder, but i'd rather have a little less solder than a little more. Looks ugly ;)

walterw
03-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened, but Gibson pickups just do not come from the factory with covers improperly soldered like that, they just don't.

Maybe the assembly routine for these new variations had some bugs, to where the right guy on the line didn't get them to put the covers on the right way.

Guinness Lad
03-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened, but Gibson pickups just do not come from the factory with covers improperly soldered like that, they just don't.

Maybe the assembly routine for these new variations had some bugs, to where the right guy on the line didn't get them to put the covers on the right way.

I'm not made and I definitely don't get any pu squeal. I mostly thought it was odd that they are three things -

1. Not BB's as in their literature.
2. Mislabeled.
3. And now, lack of solder.

Considering these are supposed to be better than BB's I'm stoked to be honest.

phoenix 7
03-14-2013, 02:24 PM
So the pickup cover is missing a piece of solder. Let's maintain a sense of proportion.

:D

Razz11
03-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Not that it matters or anything, but right under his index finger, it appears as if the cover has been forcefully removed, also note the scratch under the pole piece screw that leads in a straight line towards that area.

Hasn't gibson been issuing various "custombuckers" for a few years now? The 2013's may have "all new custombuckers", but I believe they've been making variants for a while now, Wildwood reissues and reissues with push/pull pots (JP wiring) come to mind...

polotska
03-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Hasn't gibson been issuing various "custombuckers" for a few years now? The 2013's may have "all new custombuckers", but I believe they've been making variants for a while now, Wildwood reissues and reissues with push/pull pots (JP wiring) come to mind...

Yes, Gibson has offered the “Custombuckers” in various artist models, the “Collector’s Choice” Les Pauls, etc. for a few years, at least. My understanding is that they’re just Burstbuckers of some variant (1, 2, or 3, depending on DC resistance) with Alnico III magnets instead of Alnico II, and some with four-conductor wiring. I believe they’ve been discussed in some detail on the Les Paul Forum.

Guinness Lad
03-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Yes, Gibson has offered the “Custombuckers” in various artist models, the “Collector’s Choice” Les Pauls, etc. for a few years, at least. My understanding is that they’re just Burstbuckers of some variant (1, 2, or 3, depending on DC resistance) with Alnico III magnets instead of Alnico II, and some with four-conductor wiring. I believe they’ve been discussed in some detail on the Les Paul Forum.

This makes sense to me. I have the GC special for wiring which is this -

1. vol bridge and pull up for sc
2. vol for neck and pull up for sc
3. tone bridge pull up for out of phase
4. tone neck pull up for kill switch

This is why I wanted a 4 conductor originally until I reversed the pu's, now everything is groovy.

walterw
03-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Not that it matters or anything, but right under his index finger, it appears as if the cover has been forcefully removed, also note the scratch under the pole piece screw that leads in a straight line towards that area.

hmm, yeah.

maybe it was a prototype or sales sample or something that originally didn't have a cover, then somebody added one later (somebody who didn't quite know how to do it right); it could even be because that "wound by" sticker was placed right in the zone where the solder should have gone, that's why the attempt was made to solder the cover in those other spots instead.

Seegs
03-15-2013, 02:32 AM
So the pickup cover is missing a piece of solder. Let's maintain a sense of proportion.

:D

LoL...love it!

I played Custom Select and Collectors choice R9s that had these pickups in them...they are by far the best hums that Gibson makes and yes they have A3 magnets...of course these were 5 & 6K euro insturments but I would not have replaced these pickups they are that good...

Chow,
Seegs

Guinness Lad
03-15-2013, 06:23 AM
Here's the biggest take away other than lack of solder for those who are particular about lead content.

When the pu's were installed originally the bridge was a little too midrangy, the neck always sounded great open and clear. My friend suggested reversing them and putting the stronger neck pu in the bridge, his thinking is it costs nothing and you'd probably be surprised at teh difference.

So I did this and quess what the midrangy bridge pu sounds nothing like this in the neck and the neck going into the bridge spot didn't get midrangy and harsh. Here is the reason as to why; weaker pu's pick up the easiest frequencies to capture. Do to string excursion at the bridge a weaker pu will capture more midrange content then bass or treble, this is why high output pickups were designed.

By reversing the pu's and putting the stronger one in the bridge I am now able to capture the bass and such thus equalizing the frequency band. Since the neck already has more string travel the suspect pu (I thought anyway) functions w/o issue.

So if you have an overly midrangy bridge pu think about trying a hotter pu rather than chasing around the same impedence by another company. You might also find you don't need new pots and caps either after.

BKE
04-09-2013, 06:04 AM
Custom Buckers are the first stock Gibson pickups I didn't want to replace. Got a set in a new guitar that I had planned to put a set of Shed pickups into (great pickups!) just don't see the need right now...

colinesquire
01-25-2014, 07:13 PM
I circled where it looks like the solder is not connected to the cover. For sure there is no solder on the top part of the cover:

http://imageshack.us/a/img16/6526/pickuppic.jpg

Here is a pic of a cover with the usual solder marks on the top and bottom:

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/6701/pickupsolder.png

Gibson for sure gets sloppy. I have an epi sorrento RI with factory gibson mini hums & the bridge pup cover wasn't properly soldered to the baseplate. Got noise when I touched it. Easy fix by reflowing solder.