PDA

View Full Version : Joe Bonamassa

vanderkalin
03-31-2013, 10:56 AM
A couple of things. First I am what a few would erroneously call a hater, I never cared for him much. Second, I am a total amateur hack, so I know my opinion means little to anyone, much less Joe. Having said that, in yet another attempt to give him a chance I am sitting through his acoustic show from Vienna and I am 3 songs in and am liking his playing much better. And most surprising of all is I am liking his voice. Long story short, this piss-ant thinks Joe could go acoustic in a bigger way and probably gain some fans, as even my wife caught some of this last night and commented that she liked it, and she hates guitar wanking. This is all in my opinion of course.

fjblair
03-31-2013, 11:17 AM
This thread will probably not end well but I'll give you an A for effort. I thought the acoustic show was just okay.

Kurt L
03-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Best thing of his that you'll find on TV is the BCC concert Palladia airs from time to time.

vanderkalin
03-31-2013, 11:28 AM
This thread will probably not end well but I'll give you an A for effort. I thought the acoustic show was just okay.
Yeah your probably right.

firefitz65
03-31-2013, 11:30 AM
I like his playing, although I am having a hard time thinking about paying 80 bucks for his concert when he comes to Detroit this May. Actually I have a hard time paying 80 dollars for any band.

DYNA BILL
03-31-2013, 11:44 AM
I've seen him twice in a very small venue (bar) here in my hometown when he still wore flannel shirts and long hair and had the fresh kid look. Loved him then.
He lost me when he went with the slicked back hair, sunglasses and dark suits.

Dumdeediddle
03-31-2013, 12:36 PM
His playing is a bit generic for my tastes. But I heard him in that Black Country Communion Band ( Sorry , yes I know - I may have named it wrong - Please dont shoot me for that transgression).
Anyway - Thought they sounded like the second coming of Zep. Good rock. But I read a recent interview with him , where they asked hom about that band. Man - he has NO loyalty for the fans. He sounded VERY self-centered and totally uninterested in why people like him or his fans interests. Not a warm & Fuzzy guy.

bogmonster
03-31-2013, 01:49 PM
I agree with both sides here. I'm glad that there is someone like Joe Bonamassa filling that void in the guitar world right now. To me, though - there was always something that seems kinda inauthentic about some of his music and playing - like he was playing riffs that he learned and mimicing vocal styles - and trying to show off a bit (but not as well as some other guys who really get the blues). However - I saw a lot of the acoustic show and I agree. It changed my mind a bit on him. What really seemed different on that show was that he was starting to sound unique, like this is what Joe Bonamassa and only Joe Bonamassa does and he surprised me. I hope to hear more of the same from him, as I think he's going to evolve into a great great artist.

vanderkalin
03-31-2013, 02:03 PM
I agree with both sides here. I'm glad that there is someone like Joe Bonamassa filling that void in the guitar world right now. To me, though - there was always something that seems kinda inauthentic about some of his music and playing - like he was playing riffs that he learned and mimicing vocal styles - and trying to show off a bit (but not as well as some other guys who really get the blues). However - I saw a lot of the acoustic show and I agree. It changed my mind a bit on him. What really seemed different on that show was that he was starting to sound unique, like this is what Joe Bonamassa and only Joe Bonamassa does and he surprised me. I hope to hear more of the same from him, as I think he's going to evolve into a great great artist.
Yeah, it seems like he natuarly fits better into the country blues, rootsy niche. as far as his electric side I have heard that he was really good in the Tele hot country/ rock style, and I would like to see that. He did get tutored by one of the best in that genre.

Vishnu
03-31-2013, 02:14 PM
when ever I see his name the BONANZA TV prog tune runs through my head

dum da ra rum d ra rum

Joe Bonanza

and the Hoss Cartwright singers

rickcard71
03-31-2013, 02:16 PM
What album is essential Joe? I will check it out.

vanderkalin
03-31-2013, 02:16 PM
And I just checked him out doing Well Well live with Beth Hart. Ripped my face off. Dude does have it in him, he just needs the right situation, and that is not with all the pressure of being the only front person, the only name on the marquee.

Tweedman
03-31-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm not a JB flag waver but I can very much appreciate talent and this man has a ton of it. He is an incredible guitarist and imo a good singer as well. I get the feeling that alot of people don't like him because they think he is a rich kid or that he hasn't paid his dues. I don't have a clue if either of these are true or not and it doesn't matter to me. I really don't care. All I know is that I enjoy hearing the sounds that he gets from his guitar.

tapeworm
03-31-2013, 04:12 PM
Man - he has NO loyalty for the fans. He sounded VERY self-centered and totally uninterested in why people like him or his fans interests. Not a warm & Fuzzy guy.

Not sure which interview you are referring to, but this couldn't be farther from the truth. One thing you'll never hear about JB among the sea of ridiculous reasons people choose not to like him or his music, is that he isn't loyal to or doesn't care about his fans.

Fred132
03-31-2013, 04:30 PM
I like Joe, especially the BCC stuff.

EataPeach
03-31-2013, 04:31 PM
I met him after a show and he was very genuine and accommodating.
Chatted for awhile and seemed very appreciative of the crowd.

I don't get why he gets ragged on so much by a bunch of back seat drivers wishing they had the wheel.
But I would love to be able to play half of what he's forgotten.

CyberFerret
03-31-2013, 04:39 PM
Man - he has NO loyalty for the fans. He sounded VERY self-centered and totally uninterested in why people like him or his fans interests. Not a warm & Fuzzy guy.

LOL - I think your assessment has missed the mark. Hang around the tour bus after any show, when he ALWAYS comes out and meets his fans and has a chat with them, then report back.

Joe is also always on Twitter, Facebook etc. and actually interacts with his fans on there directly. No PR person tweeting for him or anything. He also regularly chimes in on his forum and discusses gear etc. with the members there. Don't see too many of the TGP favourites doing that on any social media platforms.

Joe has *always* said that BCC was merely a side project from the beginning, and that his solo career would always be his priority. Unfortunately, it turned into a clash of egos when Glenn Hughes saw how popular BCC was becoming, and how it was basically a last gasp for him (Glenn) to make the big time again. I really liked BCC too, and hope that they can continue to make music, but there is a lot of skewed press out there about this, especially from GH fans.

lhallam
03-31-2013, 04:47 PM
I tend to divorce liking music from the way the performer looks or a perceived interpretation of his personality.

However Joe gained my respect the moment he invited Martin Barre to jam with him at Wolftrap.

m1911
03-31-2013, 05:06 PM
I've seen him twice in a very small venue (bar) here in my hometown when he still wore flannel shirts and long hair and had the fresh kid look. Loved him then.

Me too....

I tend to divorce liking music from the way the performer looks or a perceived interpretation of his personality.

I wish I could...

People say Joe is a nice guy, and I don't blame him for making as much money as he can......his new persona turns me off unfortunately.

(TO ME) The following video illustrates cool....versus someone who is just trying too hard....(Maybe Joe could jam a few more notes in there to "Beat" Derek at Guitar :rolleyes: )

VW9VDqMhePo

Average Joe
03-31-2013, 05:20 PM

I totally agree with the highlighted, and will add that for me his major fault (if you can call it that) was always that his songs are so utterly forgettable. Not bad at all actually, just so very much in keeping with their genres and with nothing in particular to distinguish them.

That said, I haven't seen the acoustic show and I'll gladly do so in the hope of having my opinion changed. There's never been any doubt that the man could play. Thanks for the recommendation

DonW
03-31-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm unsure why he seems to be a polarizing figure over the vastness of the internetz. He can play and after seeing him 7 times over the last 12 years he delivered in spades each time. Met him a couple times and he's been polite, cordial & eager to sign and answer questions. Guess ya' just can't please some people.

ZeyerGTR
03-31-2013, 06:09 PM
IMHO Joe's voice has gotten stronger and stronger with each record. Could be that I'm getting more used to it, but if you listen to some of the tracks on Dust Bowl and Driving Towards the Daylight, they're pretty solid.

I think he's at his best doing original bluesy rock stuff. His straight blues covers are good, and even great live, but his original songs and unique covers (like Tom Waits' "Jockey Full of Bourbon" and Barbara Streisand's "Prisoner") are awesome. His side projects w/ Beth Hard, Rock Candy Funk Party and BCC have also been really good. I will also add that I've seen him 3 times in the last 5 years, and as good as he was the first time, he's completely one upped himself each and ever show. He just keeps getting better and better.

As far as I can tell, he couldn't be nicer to his fans. He posts on his own forums and answers questions... in fact one group of folks got scammed out of tickets, posted on his forums, and he got them replacements. I don't know where this attitude comes from where people think he's a dick, or hasn't paid his dues. He's been on the road nonstop forever and works his ass off. The first time he was in Orlando (over a decade ago) he played for 20 people, now he's selling out Bob Carr. Good for him.

(Something)
03-31-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm unsure why he seems to be a polarizing figure over the vastness of the internetz. He can play and after seeing him 7 times over the last 12 years he delivered in spades each time. Met him a couple times and he's been polite, cordial & eager to sign and answer questions. Guess ya' just can't please some people.

...Because taste is subjective. I'm not a fan of his. Although I've never really sat down and tried to "get" Joe, there are a few things that keep me from pursuing his music further:

-- His songs are forgettable. I can her Joe playing and think "damn, this dude has some skills" and then immediately forget everything. Some guitarists I can recognize within a few notes. I could listen to an entire Joe B. song and have no idea who I heard.

-- His persona seems fake. You're a dorky white boy from upstate New York. Lose the Rat Pack thing.

-- That 6 month period in 2010/2011 where he let Twitter get him in trouble. Apparently he felt snubbed my SXSW and some late-night talk show because indie bands were playing (instead of him). His rants came across childish. Kinda turned me off from his whole personality. (yes, I prefer indie bands to Joe)

-- The whole guitar hero thing bores me. Not really specific to Joe, but it applies.

Of course, this is all IMHO, YMMV, yadda yadda. I don't have anything against him personally, nor do I get my underwear in a bunch because a lot of guitar players really dig his playing. I just choose not to listen to him and the above list is why.

BigDipper15
03-31-2013, 06:12 PM

Who cares what he's wearing? I enjoy his playing and he puts on a good show. Not a fan of his songwriting though. Unbelievable talent.

tapeworm
03-31-2013, 06:42 PM
and Barbara Streisand's "Prisoner")

:eek:
WOAH! I am just now finding out that this is a Barbara Striesand song! I thought it was a cover and also thought JB did it masterfully. One of my favorites on the album too. Thanks for mentioning this.

DYNA BILL
03-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Who cares what he's wearing? I enjoy his playing and he puts on a good show. Not a fan of his songwriting though. Unbelievable talent.

Don't get me wrong. The guy can play the frets off of a guitar. Great talent and I still am a fan. But just as you are not a fan of his songwriting, I'm not a fan of his persona shift.

jo2012
03-31-2013, 06:53 PM
Im a huge JB fan. Ive met him. Great guy. Great player. I really dont find anything generic or boring about his playing. IMO, best guitarist in the world.

karmadave
03-31-2013, 06:54 PM
I saw Joe open for Buddy Guy and have been a fan ever since. The guy is a savant for sure and while not everything he does appeals to me, he's out there filling theaters, selling CD's and DVD's, and living his dream. I especially like his work with Beth Hart and Rock Candy Funk Party. BCC not so much...

ctman64
03-31-2013, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure that I'd call it a "persona shift"... More like a clothing shift :) It's not like his overall personality has changed much. He still seems like a really good person.
Anyways, I am a fan and have great respect for him. I agree his songwriting isn't always the best, but man, some of his covers are fantastic. "Stop" comes to mind... Incredibly expressive playing IMO

BBSuggs
03-31-2013, 07:17 PM
JB's a fine player. More than anything though, he seems to maintain a youthful attitude towards the guitar. Seems to really have a passion for playing. And if he can employ 20+ people on his road show, power to him.

I like his tone, his chops, his gear, his songs. I think his maturation process is honest. Couldn't imagine seeing him in Royal Albert Hall with long, stringy hair, wearing a plaid, untucked shirt, with baggy jeans. His image is probably seen as too contrived for some. I dunno. Hard to win that one.

Guess I'm a weird player, in that acoustic projects don't interest me. Anyone's. Maybe that'll change as I grow older. I have a couple of nice acoustic 6 strings, and a player's 12 string, and I'd like to get a classical, just to have that base covered. But an acoustic performance doesn't appeal to me, either to watch or perform. Parochial, but that's just where I'm at musically. I'll take a chunk of mahogany and a plexi - any day.

JRC4558Dude
03-31-2013, 08:19 PM
Couldn't imagine seeing him in Royal Albert Hall with long, stringy hair, wearing a plaid, untucked shirt, with baggy jeans.

Yup. You'll never play the Royal Albert Hall looking like that! ;)

http://ohsejuknya.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/rah21.jpg

DM426
03-31-2013, 08:33 PM
He's a great guitarist. Damn small doubt about that.

But even though his skills impress, I just haven't found any of this music that "does it" for me. YMMV.

BigDipper15
03-31-2013, 08:46 PM
He's a great guitarist. Damn small doubt about that.

But even though his skills impress, I just haven't found any of this music that "does it" for me. YMMV.

I agree totally. I listen to JB for the pure talent. Not because his music moves me.

Knock you all you want but i listen to mayer because his music evokes emotion in me for many different reasons.

BigDipper15
03-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Don't get me wrong. The guy can play the frets off of a guitar. Great talent and I still am a fan. But just as you are not a fan of his songwriting, I'm not a fan of his persona shift.

I hear ya. It seems as if you are dismissing being a fan or listening bcz of the way he looks though. I still listen to him regularly. Almost daily on my ipod.

DYNA BILL
03-31-2013, 09:10 PM
I hear ya. It seems as if you are dismissing being a fan or listening bcz of the way he looks though. I still listen to him regularly. Almost daily on my ipod.
Not at all. I still listen to his music and am a fan. Maybe my preference stems from only having seen him live in small intimate venues in '04 and '05 rather than in his current style of attire in the larger venues. Not trying to dismiss his ability in any way. I just liked the more down to earth image he presented.

stratotastic
03-31-2013, 09:45 PM
(TO ME) The following video illustrates cool....versus someone who is just trying too hard....(Maybe Joe could jam a few more notes in there to "Beat" Derek at Guitar :rolleyes: )

VW9VDqMhePo

LOL - you summed it up perfectly.

sanhozay
03-31-2013, 09:57 PM
he's very gifted and i think he'll find his way full circle, and maybe before he get's there, does a little nashville style album. he can't help himself, it's just his natural meter - fast & furious.

i think he'll eventually slow down some, after his fingers calcify and he listens to a few playbacks. he has a lot of output and is pretty unrelenting with his schedule. the guy sure loves to play!

paulscape
04-01-2013, 12:40 AM
Live at Albert Hall - I dont know how you can not like that. Amazing playing and tone. Voice could be better but he works with what he has.

Eskimo_Joe
04-01-2013, 12:57 AM
In before the melt down!

RCCola
04-01-2013, 01:19 AM
What album is essential Joe? I will check it out.

Blues Deluxe.

His style has changed a decent bit since though. He's tried to move more towards a rock style, imo.

AndreasG
04-01-2013, 02:49 AM
Yup. You'll never play the Royal Albert Hall looking like that! ;)

http://ohsejuknya.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/rah21.jpg

Absolutely not!
;)

But Bonamassa was trying to be Clapton, so he had to wear suit and tie....IMO he would do himself a favour if he starts to follow his own road instead of copying his idols. He's not 14 anymore...should get together with a great singer and a great songwriter ( the clips with Beth Hart come to mind) and just play guitar for the song.

doghouseman
04-01-2013, 07:57 AM
His playing is a bit generic for my tastes. But I heard him in that Black Country Communion Band ( Sorry , yes I know - I may have named it wrong - Please dont shoot me for that transgression).
Anyway - Thought they sounded like the second coming of Zep. Good rock. But I read a recent interview with him , where they asked hom about that band. Man - he has NO loyalty for the fans. He sounded VERY self-centered and totally uninterested in why people like him or his fans interests. Not a warm & Fuzzy guy.

Do you have a link to the interview?

78deluxe
04-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Absolutely not!
;)

But Bonamassa was trying to be Clapton, so he had to wear suit and tie....IMO he would do himself a favour if he starts to follow his own road instead of copying his idols. He's not 14 anymore...should get together with a great singer and a great songwriter ( the clips with Beth Hart come to mind) and just play guitar for the song.

Follow his own road by becoming a sideman for someone else's act?

For a songwriter in his genre, he seems better than average to me currently. How many times can one rehash blues themes and make a decent song? not easy to do.

The Ballad of John Henry album suggests to me that he can make cliche old things interesting enough musically and lyrically that an enjoyable experience can be had out of what he does. Most others that try to do something similar just sound boring and stale.

sanhozay
04-01-2013, 09:46 AM
and, regarding his playing - that's who he is. he goes for broke almost every time. gary moore was the same kind of player, ditto for danny gatton. restraint is not on the menu for the guys that blaze. and i think it's not reckless noodling, it's quite virtuosic, just hard to comprehend sometimes. i prefer more space but that's because i can't play like those guys!

EricPeterson
04-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Joe seems to be pretty damn successful doing what he is doing, but I am sure he appreciates all the career advice from internet forums. :)

Just giving you guys a hard time. Ever think that maybe he is doing exactly what he wants to do, enjoying the hell out of it, making a good living and is for the most part happy making a living playing guitar? We could all be so lucky.

bogmonster
04-01-2013, 10:10 AM
We're just critiquing music (and it's allowed) - most of us because we are impressed with his skill and respect his position in the music scene. Joe Bonamassa seems to be doing okay on his own - but this is just what we're hoping to hear from him. I think the strong answers on this come from the fact that there are so few NEW(ish) blues-rock inspired guitarists out there getting prominence and a national stage... new-ish as in not Clapton or Buddy Guy NEW-ish...

monty
04-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Timely thread.
I just bought the live in New York DVD on Saturday and watched it twice because I've known of Joe since he was a fat kid with big glasses and everything I have read about him points to him being a player I would dig. Sorry to say it this way but modern white boy blues always lets me down so I never gave him a chance.
My opinion:
Killer guitar player
Some pretty good songwriting
Good voice, just needs to get a little passion in them
I liked his stage look, we're about the same age and I dont dress the way I used to either

Biggest point to me: lose the keys player. If anything was screaming white boy blues it was what I was hearing from the keys.

Not a "fan" yet but I enjoyed what i heard from him. I'm going to check the BCC dvd next.

CowTipton
04-01-2013, 10:59 AM
I think Joe's doing just fine so far.
Just keep rockin' and I'll keep listening.

frennis
04-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Biggest point to me: lose the keys player. If anything was screaming white boy blues it was what I was hearing from the keys.

You're in luck...Joe just changed keyboard players for this tour. Maybe you'll like the new guy better.

JoeB63
04-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Me too....

I wish I could...

People say Joe is a nice guy, and I don't blame him for making as much money as he can......his new persona turns me off unfortunately.

VW9VDqMhePo

That video made me laugh. It proved my point that EVERY player, including the great ones, have a limited set of licks in their kit bag. Trucks did that same (odd) slide all the way down the neck at the end of every phrase. Joe B played the same speedy pentatonic lick 3 or 4 times in 12 bars. Funny stuff.

FWIW, Truck's tone was way better than Joe's in this clip. :)

dharmabum29
04-01-2013, 03:42 PM
...I just watched/listened to Joe Bonamassa for the first time today. Watched the Blues Deluxe clip and the Albert Hall thing on YouTube. I'm not looking to start yet another argument about this guy, just posting this to say my 2 cents.

The guy is good...really good. Probably the best technician on the guitar that I've ever seen. He seems to be capable of playing anything. Great tone, vibrato, etc. Having said that, nothing he played really grabbed me. Maybe I need to listen to some more stuff, but I watched 2 hours of him playing the biggest gig of his life, so I'd hope I saw his best. Anyway, I enjoyed it, but nothing gave me goosebumps. I guess the best way to put it would be that I don't hear that almost 'divine spark' that I hear in Hendrix, Clapton, Beck SRV, Page, Django, et. al. I mean, he'd wipe the floor with them on a technical level, no doubt, and I do hear a hell of a lot more feel and soul in his playing that I ever have in such technical players in the past. But I didn't hear those few notes or that tiny phrase that made me just go, "Wow", like I do when I listen to Peter Green, or Jeff Beck or Jimi. It's just missing something for me, that's all.

Look, like I said, I'm not looking to start a rumble here, and I don't really even care if anyone replies. However, this being TGP and Joe Bonamassa, I realize that resistance is futile...

m1911
04-01-2013, 04:11 PM
...I just watched/listened to Joe Bonamassa for the first time today. Watched the Blues Deluxe clip and the Albert Hall thing on YouTube. I'm not looking to start yet another argument about this guy, just posting this to say my 2 cents.

The guy is good...really good. Probably the best technician on the guitar that I've ever seen. He seems to be capable of playing anything. Great tone, vibrato, etc. Having said that, nothing he played really grabbed me. Maybe I need to listen to some more stuff, but I watched 2 hours of him playing the biggest gig of his life, so I'd hope I saw his best. Anyway, I enjoyed it, but nothing gave me goosebumps. I guess the best way to put it would be that I don't hear that almost 'divine spark' that I hear in Hendrix, Clapton, Beck SRV, Page, Django, et. al. I mean, he'd wipe the floor with them on a technical level, no doubt, and I do hear a hell of a lot more feel and soul in his playing that I ever have in such technical players in the past. But I didn't hear those few notes or that tiny phrase that made me just go, "Wow", like I do when I listen to Peter Green, or Jeff Beck or Jimi. It's just missing something for me, that's all.

Look, like I said, I'm not looking to start a rumble here, and I don't really even care if anyone replies. However, this being TGP and Joe Bonamassa, I realize that resistance is futile...

Nah...you said it so well.....that's what I've been trying to say the past few years here.....just not as well as you have here.
Someone mentioned Gary Moore earlier....(RIP)....but to me they are almost interchangeable.....a million technical notes but not ONE of them moves me an inch.
Probably both nice guys, but Mr. Bonamassa's "Package" simply turns me off.....And I also don't know why that would bother ANYONE here either?!

Yeah, yeah...the whole "Jealous" thing....I know.....I don't play a single note...so I guess I'm Jealous of ANYONE that even holds a Guitar...wow.

Wanna talk about JEALOUSY/ENVY...?
If I would have the talent and the proper amount of "Right-Place-Right-Time" thing goin' on....I would have been in The Allman Brothers, Faces, Humble Pie, Hank Williams and the Drifing Cowboys.....etc.,etc...
NOT to trade lives with JB....

dlguitar64
04-01-2013, 04:17 PM

He certainly does not have better chops than Django.

Blueser13
04-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Phenomenal player in my eyes, love his live shows and was blown away by his acoustic set, the guy has no limits! Only wish he'd go back to singing a bit like he did on the A New Day Yesterday tour, it's a lot rougher and from the heart, but i also understand that he doesn't want to blow out his voice.

CyberFerret
04-01-2013, 08:47 PM

-- His persona seems fake. You're a dorky white boy from upstate New York. Lose the Rat Pack thing.

Lots of people seem put off by his 'perceived' persona. The guy still has a sense of humour and fun though, according to this very recent blog post by one of his 'unofficial' photographers:

http://christiegoodwin.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/the-ninja-chronicles.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TQB9JiwjmKw/UVmKrMyoynI/AAAAAAAABwM/k3LGX0o4Z1M/s1600/JB+28Mar+Hammer+B55.jpg

Joe Bonamassa in the queue at his own Hammersmith show, 28 March 2013 - photo copyright Christie Goodwin, all rights reserved www.christiegoodwin.com

I had been home for a only a couple of days from Taylor Swift’s RED tour and I found myself packing my bags again for a short but hectic tour with Joe Bonamassa. On second thought, ‘tour’ isn’t the right word, as Joe had hired me to chronicle his rather unique week in London, with four shows playing four different sets with four different backing bands reliving his rise to fame: the Borderline on Tuesday, Shepherd’s Bush on Wednesday, Hammersmith on Thursday, and the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday.

My job started the day before the first show, shooting the last of the rehearsals at the John Henry studios and the brief was pretty elaborate as I was asked to shoot, well, everything. Not just the shows, but also the venues inside and outside, all sound checks, behind the scenes… everything. Walking into John Henry’s and seeing the familiar faces of manager Roy Weisman, producer Kevin Shirley and some of Joe’s crew members felt a bit like coming home. I’ve been working with Joe since 2009. He calls me Fast Trigger Christie because I work fast and don’t mess about. He had a new nickname for me this time. He welcomed me and told me about too many photographers literally fighting for the best spot at recent gigs, so he’s cutting down heavily on the number of press photographers. Very sad for a lot of genuinely good guys who are being punished for the actions of a couple of cowboys, but that’s the way it is sometimes. “But you can do anything you want”, Joe said. “Because you are a Ninja, a ghost.” I like that. I’m a ninja because all the time I’m shooting he actually rarely ever sees me. I told him that was one of the nicest compliments anybody has ever given me. I always wanted to be a Ninja for real!

It was quite a tough job because there was much to shoot. Every gig posed different challenges. The Borderline is dark and pint sized and is hell for a photographer. Shepherd's Bush and Hammersmith were a bit easier to handle, although shooting positions were seriously limited because all shows were being filmed for DVDs and there were a dozen cameramen hovering all around. My favourite of the four has to be The Royal Albert Hall. I jokingly call the place my second home as I'm there so often either shooting for an artist or for the house. I know the place inside out which makes my job so much easier.

The most memorable moment however came at Hammersmith. Just before the doors opened, Joe had this crazy idea. He wanted to join the back of the queue, incognito, and asked me to shoot it without drawing attention to him. “It might be a brilliant idea or it might go horribly wrong”, he smiled. So I walked outside with my camera and started shooting the crowd so it would look less suspicious. A couple of minutes later Joe walked out the back of the building, warm coat, scarf, bonnet, quite inconspicuous. He stopped by the illegal merchandise vendor on the corner and actually bought one of the Tees for 20 quid. Seriously, an illegally produced T-shirt with Joe's face on, a picture I had taken by the way and which they probably nicked off the internet. The vendor had no idea he was selling this illegal merch to the artist himself. Brilliant! Then Joe and his tour manager Clay (one of the nicest guys I have ever worked with, I might add) joined the queue. Joe just stood there, holding a T-shirt with his own face, and nobody recognised him. Some people standing in front of Joe got visibly annoyed with me because I kept aiming my camera in their general direction. A surreal scene. I signalled Joe that I had what I wanted, and so he moved out of the crowd, less inconspicuous this time. That was when some realised that Joe had stood right beside them the whole time. I will never forget their faces. Absolutely priceless. Where’s Waldo? Right there in front of you!

I'm back home now, I've finished editing my pictures and am about to put my feet up and have a little rest. Please note the 'do not disturb' sign on the door, thank you very much.

I cannot imagine someone like Clapton or Beck etc. trying a stunt like this. Maybe they do - I'd love to hear about it.

Jube2550
04-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Wow, it has almost been 20 years since first time I had heard Joe on the local radio stations playing in Bloodline.

Upon first hearing Stone Cold Hearted below, I sat up and listened and was amazed how good he was. I'm sure it has been mentioned and played in all the other JB threads but I still like the song. Can't find a better quality cut but these are the grooves I dig.

That solo is Blackmore, SRV, Jimi to YJM fledgling arpeggios and a dash of EVH/Nuno/Vai flurry during the end breaks. As a guitarist, what's not to like there? I don't care about hype, criticism, nit picking, the cat can play and more power to him for it.

Nb2-ZyF-kAs

monty
04-01-2013, 10:02 PM
You're in luck...Joe just changed keyboard players for this tour. Maybe you'll like the new guy better.

Cool!

Cyber, that is a awesome story.

RCCola
04-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Nah...you said it so well.....that's what I've been trying to say the past few years here.....just not as well as you have here.
Someone mentioned Gary Moore earlier....(RIP)....but to me they are almost interchangeable.....a million technical notes but not ONE of them moves me an inch.
Probably both nice guys, but Mr. Bonamassa's "Package" simply turns me off.....And I also don't know why that would bother ANYONE here either?!

Yeah, yeah...the whole "Jealous" thing....I know.....I don't play a single note...so I guess I'm Jealous of ANYONE that even holds a Guitar...wow.

Wanna talk about JEALOUSY/ENVY...?
If I would have the talent and the proper amount of "Right-Place-Right-Time" thing goin' on....I would have been in The Allman Brothers, Faces, Humble Pie, Hank Williams and the Drifing Cowboys.....etc.,etc...
NOT to trade lives with JB....

I don't think you're listening close enough if you think Joe and Gary are interchangeable. Joe doesn't improvise anywhere as much as Gary did and Gary played more 'ballads'. If you listened more, you would notice Joe plays things note for note every performance. Gary was much more dynamic.

Gary also had more of a shredder's vocabulary (not saying that would describe his playing as it was only a small part of his playing). Joe's fast playing is a lot of half step pentatonic runs.

Gary could move me. He doesn't play 'a million technical notes' on The Messiah Will Come or Parisienne Walkways or Still Got The Blues or I Had A Dream or If the Devil Made Whiskey...on and on

dharmabum29
04-02-2013, 12:33 AM

Yeah, Gary Moore is a good comparison in my book. I always felt the same way about him, as well. Wanted to be moved, but I just wasn't. Same thing this time around...amazed, but not moved.

He certainly does not have better chops than Django.

True enough, and a guy with only two truly usable fingers, no less...

m1911
04-02-2013, 04:48 AM
I don't think you're listening close enough if you think Joe and Gary are interchangeable. Joe doesn't improvise anywhere as much as Gary did and Gary played more 'ballads'. If you listened more, you would notice Joe plays things note for note every performance. Gary was much more dynamic.

Gary also had more of a shredder's vocabulary (not saying that would describe his playing as it was only a small part of his playing). Joe's fast playing is a lot of half step pentatonic runs.

Gary could move me. He doesn't play 'a million technical notes' on The Messiah Will Come or Parisienne Walkways or Still Got The Blues or I Had A Dream or If the Devil Made Whiskey...on and on

I appreciate you writing this, I really do (and I've wanted to like both players)....however, when I used the word "Interchangeable" I simply meant a High-Energy output of notes.....and none of it moves me unfortunately...(for me I guess)
Thanks though...

m1911
04-02-2013, 04:49 AM
Yeah, Gary Moore is a good comparison in my book. I always felt the same way about him, as well. Wanted to be moved, but I just wasn't. Same thing this time around...amazed, but not moved.

This is really all I meant...