PDA

View Full Version : New Quilter Aviator

Pages : [1] 2

scolfax
04-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Anyone other than me excited about these?

Three different models; not as expensive as the MicroPro.

http://54.241.2.205/index.php/products/aviator

http://www.guitarworld.com/files/imagecache/gw_imagegallery_slide/gallery/opentwelve-frontright-medres.jpg

GWRypEE4kWM

markszabo
04-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Saw the review in Guitar World; never heard of the brand before. Demo sounds nice, but most do.

That's a lot of power for a 1x12 combo. Clean channel sounds pretty snappy; OD channel sounded pretty dark. I think they're leaning away from fizzy sounds with the voicing of that channel and the hi-cut feature.

straightblues
04-02-2013, 12:14 PM
I have played with a guy who owns one of these amps. They do sound good. They are really light and portable.

scolfax
04-02-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm thinking of picking up the 8" instead of a Princeton.

billyguitar
04-02-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm thinking of picking up the 8" instead of a Princeton.

I had a MicroPro 200 with an 8" and it will definitely play much louder and cleaner than a Princeton. I didn't care for the Overdrive channel so I sent it back.

scolfax
04-02-2013, 04:22 PM
I had a MicroPro 200 with an 8" and it will definitely play much louder and cleaner than a Princeton. I didn't care for the Overdrive channel so I sent it back.

Did the overdrive in the Aviator clip sound better? Do you think a 12" speaker would have made a difference for you?

Ben Furman
04-02-2013, 08:48 PM
These are a great marketing move and further proof that the company is listening to its customers (and potential customers).

Kyle Ashley
04-02-2013, 09:00 PM
The open 1x12 looks very interesting. Pricing??

QuilterLabs
04-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Hi folks, Chris from Quilter.
To answer your question...
Pricing is $699 for the 8" combo,
$899 for the 12" and
$949 for the dual ten.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me from the website.

The Moar You Know
04-02-2013, 10:13 PM
From what I understand, Quilter was the brains behind QSC. I can't speak for these Quilter amps, but I have a 19-year old QSC that has done hundreds of gigs, sounds awesome, and is just bulletproof as far as reliability goes.

The 12" was a good move.

The Moar You Know
04-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Chris: what does the 12" model weigh?

QuilterLabs
04-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Chris: what does the 12" model weigh?

Both the 2x10 and the 12" open back weigh 33.8 pounds (15.3 kg), the 8" weighs in at 22.6 pounds. (10.3 kg)

And yes, Pat Quilter is the Q in QSC (Originally Quilter Sound Company.)
Hey, just gotta say thanks to everyone here for all your kindness and nice words over the last year. I have come to truly respect and admire everyone here at the gear page. We are so humbled that you would mention us.

Kyle Ashley
04-03-2013, 12:14 AM
My tube amp roster is full. I am considering a good SS combo to round out my amp collection and these look interesting. I'm a QSC fan....loved their amps and just bought a pair of KW122s for small PA. I haven't looked over all the info on the site yet, and hate to pin any stupid marketing buzzwords on a new product, but do these "feel" somewhat tube-like to play into?

QuilterLabs
04-03-2013, 01:02 AM
Hi Kyle.
If you're thinking of trying one, remember we have a 30 day money back guarantee. If it isn't everything we say it is, I will personally see to it we refund every penny. We pay shipping both ways too.
Love it or be out nothing. We put our money where our mouth is.
So, yes. It will blow your mind.

Petimar
04-03-2013, 01:58 AM
What great customer service it is to offer a 30 day refund of all your money. That alone makes me want to try one.

scolfax
04-03-2013, 09:56 AM
What great customer service it is to offer a 30 day refund of all your money. That alone makes me want to try one.

Totally agree.

kmacfly
04-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Totally agree.

Me too.

I think that is smart, honest advertising. It takes moves like this to raise the playing field and we all benefit in the end.

scolfax
04-03-2013, 02:34 PM
I'm a bit torn between the 8" and 12". I'm sure the 8" is loud enough for me, and I like the size, weight, and price. But if it sounds "boxy" then I'll have to step up to the 12". I play overdriven sounds > 90% of the time if that makes any difference.

QuilterLabs
04-03-2013, 07:10 PM
I would start replying and all... But then I start sounding like a sales guy and well... I have too much respect for the good folks here to do that. Email me if you want to know details. chris@quilterlabs.com

Petimar
04-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Chris, I'm having trouble seeing your amps on your web page. My IPad doesn't allow a click on "Amplifiers" under "Products". This is true from any of your pages.

Anyone else having this problem?

scolfax
04-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Chris, I'm having trouble seeing your amps on your web page. My IPad doesn't allow a click on "Amplifiers" under "Products". This is true from any of your pages.

Works on my iPhone

billyguitar
04-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Did the overdrive in the Aviator clip sound better? Do you think a 12" speaker would have made a difference for you?
I want to be clear, Overdrive is the most subjective aspect there is about an amp. My ear isn't much suited to the kind of fizzy overdrives that I hear out of most pedals and solid state distortion. I like the sound of a Black face Fender Reverb amp, or a big Tweed on 8 - 10. So I'm not dissing the OD of the Quilter in any way. I'm saying it's Strawberry and I like Chocolate.

I do think the 12" would be more comfortable for me. It's also what I'm used to hearing.

billyguitar
04-04-2013, 10:11 AM

This is OUTSTANDING customer service. We can't hear these amps in a neighborhood store so ordering one is a bit more of a gamble for the consumer. This return policy takes the worry out of it. Too bad other amp brands won't do this.

QuilterLabs
04-04-2013, 11:43 AM

From the front page, just click on the picture of the Aviator or the MicroPro P200.
Yes this is an annoying issue and we are working on it!
Sorry about that.
...and billyguitar, I hear you. If it doesn't sound like what you want, then it's not what you want. That is the real reason we have the 30 day no worries guarantee. I absolutely refuse to ever let anyone have an amp that doesn't work for them. I am a player too. I hate it when I buy gear and find out it isn't what I had hoped. So it has been our policy from day one. If you don't love it then you pay nothing and we do. Seems right to me.

HillbillySims
04-04-2013, 11:59 AM
I am about > < this close to ordering the Aviator based on the demo's. here's what I would really like to know though. Maybe Quilterlabs will post a detailed response which may be useful to all of us (as I could not find the answer anywhere on their website)

1. Design wise, tone wise, performance wise... What makes Quilter different than other solid state designs known for going after tube-like sounds? (such as Pritchard, Evans, Pearce, Tech-21) ?

2. Is there 1 or more things that is really unique about Quilter as far as the design compared to other SS amps... something that you feel gives you an edge over the competition?

3. it says "200 watt engine" But I have seen some other posts on sites saying "100 watts per channel" Which is it? If I get a single 12 combo, is it going to be sending a full 200watts to the speaker... or 100?

I would appreciate more info such as this. Not asking for any secrets to be revealed.. just interested to know why Quilter is better & why I should choose your amp over some of the other offerings out there.

This may help me solidify my decision.

McShred
04-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Marketing for Quitler stuff is really odd.

First of all, nobody knows or cares who Patrick Quilter is. he's a great engineer that developed the QSC line of power amps (hence the Q in QSC). Quilter is going to market trying to position Patrick as some sort of Randall Smith or Dave Friedman persona. He doesn't really have a track record for guitar amplification, and what he's done in the power amp world doesn't really apply to guitar amps. Secondly, his image is just so.... I don't know. I'm not really interested in buying an amp from a company that thinks its a good idea to buy full page ads of Santa Clause standing in front of Airplanes.

The company is clearly backed and funded by QSC, so thats how they are bankrolling this, but until they get some real guitar players involved, they are just pissing money away.

The aesthetics on this line are a step in the right direction, but it might be to little too late.

HillbillySims
04-04-2013, 12:06 PM
wow.. gonna pretend I didnt just read that post.. carry on

ripoffriffs
04-04-2013, 12:09 PM
I just want to add to the questions:

The XLR output in the back, is that supposed to be speaker emulated or equalized?

treeofpain
04-04-2013, 12:10 PM
I reluctantly agree with McShred.

Jon Silberman
04-04-2013, 12:19 PM

First of all, nobody knows or cares who Patrick Quilter is. he's a great engineer that developed the QSC line of power amps (hence the Q in QSC). Quilter is going to market trying to position Patrick as some sort of Randall Smith or Dave Friedman persona. He doesn't really have a track record for guitar amplification, and what he's done in the power amp world doesn't really apply to guitar amps. Secondly, his image is just so.... I don't know. I'm not really interested in buying an amp from a company that thinks its a good idea to buy full page ads of Santa Clause standing in front of Airplanes.

The company is clearly backed and funded by QSC, so thats how they are bankrolling this, but until they get some real guitar players involved, they are just pissing money away.

The aesthetics on this line are a step in the right direction, but it might be to little too late.
I disagree but not with your opinions per se. They're valid for you and as such I really can't disagree with them as an accurate reflection of your personal reaction to the marketing strategy.

I can only say that, for myself, it damn well makes a difference to my decisionmaking that one of the men who knows the most in the world about Class D amplification is turning his attention specifically to guitar amplification. Perhaps, for me, this reflects my status as a long-time Deadhead but I am long used to getting my power other than from tubes. In fact, my two current primary rigs use a McIntosh and a Rocktron for the power amps. So, for me, that Mr. Quilter is behind this venture is specifically what attracts my attention from the start and why, once I raise some funds, I'm likely to buy one of these Quilters.

I think the Quilter web page is very well designed. It's got the info. I want in a variety of media formats. Well done!

I like the aesthetics of the new Aviator line. The MicroPro units leave me cold - they look like toys.

As for the marketing, what do I know - I think most guitar gear ads I see are asinine! At least the person you call "Santa" chose to model his amp and self with an airplane and not a scantily clad woman a third his age!

QuilterLabs
04-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Hi HillBilly, I kind of don't want to bust into full manufacturer " we love ourself" talk.
I always hate seeing that in forums.
I will just say it as honestly and non sales-many as I can.
1) When you plug into a Quilter and play you will swear we are cheating somehow and there are tubes in there. It sounds like it, behaves like it, and feels like it.
2) It won't ever break down on you and if it does, I will send you a new one before you know what hit you. No hassles. Just good, honest service.
3) If I am full of it, I will personally see to it that we buy the amp back from you and even pay the shipping so that you won't be out one penny.

That work for you?

Jim S
04-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Tone is not paramount. I prefer the scantily clad women.

Jon Silberman
04-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Me, too, but sans the geezer on the couch next to her. ;)

sfryette
04-04-2013, 12:28 PM

I think I can respond from experience here, so if you don't mind my butting in...

People most certainly do know and care who Pat Quilter is and I am one of many.

Pat doesn't have to try to position himself as Randall Smith. He is Randall Smith of a different and dare I say probably more successful sort., therefore his accomplishments speak equally for themselves.

Dave Friedman is a longtime friend and while he certainly knows what a good Marshall sounds like, putting him in the same company as PQ and RS is a bit of a stretch and I know Dave will not mind my saying so.

I love the quirky marketing and knowing Pat, I can assure you it's no gimmick. Pat is brilliant, driven and has a unique sense of humor.

Track record? Are you serious? That Pat Quilter will ultimately be appreciated for his many contributions to music and the music industry is just a given, not a lofty prediction. He was making tube amps when RS was busy hanging out in tree-houses in Marin. QSC developments in SS power amps quietly set the bar for performance and reliability that other companies routinely take undue credit for. If you don't think those developments affect you, look around your home studio at those low cost SS power amps or powered monitors that you take for granted.

Bankrolled by QSC? I don't claim to know the financial details, but who the hell cares? You certainly don't seem to mind that Orange and Celestion are bankrolled by large corporations - Chinese ones at that. Quilter amps are MIUSA. Try starting from there as your buying criteria.

Is the right product for you? Maybe not. But they're sure making it easy and affordable to find out.

And since you obviously missed it - not Santa, it's Howard Hughes. And Pat's brother is a successful commercial pilot so again, the connection is legit.

And by the way, Pat doesn't need my help. This post just set me off, so my apologies. Sometimes I can't help myself...

Jon Silberman
04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Well said.

Kyle Ashley
04-04-2013, 01:37 PM
I prefer the new aesthetics over the other series for sure. I'd also love to be one of the first to try these, but this is the unfortunate time of year where I must send large chunks of $$ to the tax man and insurance companies, leaving me a bit tight fisted for awhile.

Maybe later this summer I will take the plunge. Until then, I look forward to hearing more about them from early adopters.

McShred
04-04-2013, 01:44 PM
First of all, I'm a big fan of your amps, lets get that out of the way first.

People most certainly do know and care who Pat Quilter is and I am one of many.
Most musicians would not know. You're an amp maker by trade, knowledge like that is in your wheelhouse. The average buyer wouldn't know. I'm probably much more versed in amps than the average buyer, and I did not know who Patrick was.

Pat doesn't have to try to position himself as Randall Smith. He is Randall Smith of a different and dare I say probably more successful sort., therefore his accomplishments speak equally for themselves. Patricks accomplishments in pro audio might not be such common knowledge to the guitar buying public. Maybe a CV including list of patents, etc.. in fine print on some of those full page ads would help get the word out.

Dave Friedman is a longtime friend and while he certainly knows what a good Marshall sounds like, putting him in the same company as PQ and RS is a bit of a stretch and I know Dave will not mind my saying so.
Dave is also a friend. I was just throwing out names that people are familiar with in the amp world, it could have just as easily been your name, the Ultralead was a pretty groundbreaking amp

I love the quirky marketing and knowing Pat, I can assure you it's no gimmick. Pat is brilliant, driven and has a unique sense of humor. I think the quirky is doing them a disservice. The first generation of amps looked like toys, then you've got them with a picture of Patrick from the early 70's, the message wasn't clear. Who is this guy that I've never heard of? Oh, he's been making amps a really long time? Still never heard of him. I'm in advertising by trade. The marketing message isn't there. Never mind the execution or style... the message isn't getting through.

Track record? Are you serious? That Pat Quilter will ultimately be appreciated for his many contributions to music and the music industry is just a given, not a lofty prediction. He was making tube amps when RS was busy hanging out in tree-houses in Marin. QSC developments in SS power amps quietly set the bar for performance and reliability that other companies routinely take undue credit for. If you don't think those developments affect you, look around your home studio at those low cost SS power amps or powered monitors that you take for granted. my track record comments were specifically directed at his track record in the guitar amp world. I'm not sure there is a big correlation, at least in terms of marketing value, between having launched a line of revolutionary pro-audio products, and making guitar amps. Most crossover products like that that i can recall in the last 25 years have not lasted

Bankrolled by QSC? I don't claim to know the financial details, but who the hell cares? You certainly don't seem to mind that Orange and Celestion are bankrolled by large corporations - Chinese ones at that. Quilter amps are MIUSA. Try starting from there as your buying criteria. It makes no difference to me who bankrolls them. What I've found through years of experience, is that many times, large corporations are out of touch with what it takes to bring a new product to a crowded marketplace. They think that their success and legacy products give them an advantage and in reality its often a hindrance, as they aren't hungry, fast operating companies. They move slow, and if something isn't profitable quickly, it gets shelved. Throwing money at big full page ads that don't invoke even the slightest curiosity from a guy who spends thousands on gear every year seems like a bad idea. I can't tell you how many music companies I've seen vaporize after spending a ton on stupid ads, when they should have been researching their target market and coming to market with a solid value proposition. Somehow Dean has managed to remain, so I guess there are always exceptions

Is the right product for you? Maybe not. But they're sure making it easy and affordable to find out. Agreed, their return policy is pretty amazing.

And since you obviously missed it - not Santa, it's Howard Hughes. And Pat's brother is a successful commercial pilot so again, the connection is legit. The ad I saw in this months Guitar Player was Patrick standing in front of vintage airplanes. Didn't look like Howard Hughes, unless HH used to rock a full beard.

And by the way, Pat doesn't need my help. This post just set me off, so my apologies. Sometimes I can't help myself...

Maybe it was my Santa Clause comments that set everyone off, I suppose that wasn't very nice on my end. I'll try to be more mindful of that sort of thing.

boogiemon
04-04-2013, 02:15 PM
just listened to the demo vid on the 1st pg. Sounds ok. has a spongy tube-ish sound but the higher frequencies still sound metalic/solid-state to me.

JoeB63
04-04-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm curious.

jackoturner
04-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Apologies if this should be strictly about the Aviation, but I have the Quilter Micropro 10" and it just blew me away, as well as everyone else that has heard it or played it. So I want people to know how good these amps are!

The cleans are really full, plummy and chimey, with loads of control and variables. Drive is never harsh to my ear, in comparison to a lot of killer tube amps I find the Quilter to be less fizzy actually. It sustains for days.

It get's incredibly loud. It also takes pedals better than anything I've heard, and so it's really musical. If you want an example of some nice singing sustain breakup tones that aren't harsh (and I'm not trying to promote me, but show off Quilter tones), check out the solo at 2.11 here, don't even listen to the rest of the song if you don't want to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDx_SOHog8Y&feature=player_embedded

The producer on our record is a tone hound and despite initial skepticism when he saw the Quilter, he said he'll be ordering one soon. I think I might get him the Aviation if I can.

jackoturner
04-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Oh and also, I had a fault with the first Quilter I received. I live close to Costa Mesa so I drove to Quilter Amps, and they gave me a new amp and paid my gas to get there. Great customer service, great team.

I also got to try the Aviation line while I was there (under strict secrecy haha), and I loved it. I nearly took one with me but couldn't afford it. I also nearly bought the extension cabinet - that thing is nice!

Cooleyman
04-04-2013, 03:21 PM
I have a Quilter amp and can tell you that it's fantastic. I love everything about it and would not hesitate to recommend one to any player looking for incredible tone in a light-weight package.

sfryette
04-04-2013, 03:35 PM
First of all, I'm a big fan of your amps, lets get that out of the way first.

Thank you. I’m humbled.
Most musicians would not know. You're an amp maker by trade, knowledge like that is in your wheelhouse. The average buyer wouldn't know. I'm probably much more versed in amps than the average buyer, and I did not know who Patrick was.

I hear there’s this newfangled intarwebz thingie that’s newkulur fast and chock full of amazing truths…

Patricks accomplishments in pro audio might not be such common knowledge to the guitar buying public. Maybe a CV including list of patents, etc.. in fine print on some of those full page ads would help get the word out.

I’m sure they as a new entity have a lot on their plate in that regard.

Dave is also a friend. I was just throwing out names that people are familiar with in the amp world, it could have just as easily been your name, the Ultralead was a pretty groundbreaking amp

Again, I am humbled.

I think the quirky is doing them a disservice. The first generation of amps looked like toys, then you've got them with a picture of Patrick from the early 70's, the message wasn't clear. Who is this guy that I've never heard of? Oh, he's been making amps a really long time? Still never heard of him. I'm in advertising by trade. The marketing message isn't there. Never mind the execution or style... the message isn't getting through.

Interesting that they are being picked apart for demonstrating a legitimate legacy while other newer companies as well as artificially revived ones tout the accomplishments of “gurus” you’d never heard of with entirely manufactured histories taken as fact simply because it’s connected to a tube product or a more generally recognized long dead legacy brand offering product in no way related to their legacy. Examples abound...

That said, I’m now more interested in your ideas about marketing and messaging than in your critique of the subject at hand.

my track record comments were specifically directed at his track record in the guitar amp world. I'm not sure there is a big correlation, at least in terms of marketing value, between having launched a line of revolutionary pro-audio products, and making guitar amps. Most crossover products like that that i can recall in the last 25 years have not lasted

Time and message refinement …

It makes no difference to me who bankrolls them. What I've found through years of experience, is that many times, large corporations are out of touch with what it takes to bring a new product to a crowded marketplace. They think that their success and legacy products give them an advantage and in reality its often a hindrance, as they aren't hungry, fast operating companies. They move slow, and if something isn't profitable quickly, it gets shelved. Throwing money at big full page ads that don't invoke even the slightest curiosity from a guy who spends thousands on gear every year seems like a bad idea. I can't tell you how many music companies I've seen vaporize after spending a ton on stupid ads, when they should have been researching their target market and coming to market with a solid value proposition. Somehow Dean has managed to remain, so I guess there are always exceptions

Noted, but assumes the position (love this) that the company foundation is as you imagine it and that the new line is a crossover product. You are probably more sensitive to behind the curtain stuff than the average buyer in the same way you position me as more in the know on legacy.

The ad I saw in this months Guitar Player was Patrick standing in front of vintage airplanes. Didn't look like Howard Hughes, unless HH used to rock a full beard.

http://www.easterndrugs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/howard-hughes.jpg

Maybe it was my Santa Clause comments that set everyone off, I suppose that wasn't very nice on my end. I'll try to be more mindful of that sort of thing.
Again, a very thoughtful response.
Thanks.

HillbillySims
04-04-2013, 03:40 PM
I tell you what.. just on customer service alone. I went ahead & ordered an Aviator. These guys have been a class act & answered all my questions via-email.

I will give a full report when she rolls in.

scolfax
04-04-2013, 04:03 PM
This is my next amp. I have only heard of Quilter through the review of the Micro Pro and the Aviator announcement from Premier Guitar. So I guess the marketing does speak to me at least.

benadrian
04-04-2013, 04:04 PM
I have access to a MicroPro 8". I really don't like the cosmetics, but I reluctantly fell in love with the amp. It's not my first choice for guitar amp. However, it's light, small, reliable, noise free, and sounds surprisingly good.

I did a number of shows with a ukulele ensemble last year. I would play both guitar (mostly electric, but sometimes acoustic) and uke. I found myself playing a variety of gigs in a variety of spaces at a variety of volume levels. My champ was too quiet and not great with the acoustic instruments. My Pro Reverb was too big and too loud. All my other amps seemed to have some issues. The MicroPro was perfect for these gigs. It scaled well, it sounded good for a lot of instruments, and it was east to carry for unpredictable L.A. loading situations (you know, having to park three blocks away).

Anyway, great little amp, and Pat seems like a charming dude.

Cheers!
Ben

Jon Silberman
04-04-2013, 04:20 PM
I am now extremely interested in the Aviator. The features and price are right for me. An in depth review or two would be awesome.

Kyle Ashley
04-04-2013, 04:34 PM
I tell you what.. just on customer service alone. I went ahead & ordered an Aviator. These guys have been a class act & answered all my questions via-email.

I will give a full report when she rolls in.

Which model did you go with? I'm really looking forward to your thoughts.

Stu74
04-04-2013, 04:38 PM
I started with a MicroPro8 and wound up with a 12 ( preferred it for electric only usage). The combination of sound(s), features, size and weight are great. I can personally attest that Quilter's (read as Chris') customer service is unbeatable, and virtually extinct, in our dehumanized corporate world. His genuine concern for the customer, belief in the product combined with his speed, thoroughness and manner in dealing with my issue floored me. I also received a fast and lengthy reply from Pat himself when I wrote an email concerning the feature set of the amp. The ability to try one for thirty days without cost or obligation = no brainier to me. Such a deal!

HillbillySims
04-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Which model did you go with? I'm really looking forward to your thoughts.

I ordered the Aviator 1X12 combo

I've played/owned a lot of the top solid state amps.. so it will be cool to keep those in mind while playing this one. I've had experience with Pearce, Evans, Pritchard, Tech-21, & the Fender Rivera era solid state amps

Looking forward to putting it through the paces

ReddRanger
04-04-2013, 05:06 PM

I've played/owned a lot of the top solid state amps.. so it will be cool to keep those in mind while playing this one. I've had experience with Pearce, Evans, Pritchard, Tech-21, & the Fender Rivera era solid state amps

Very cool. Please post a review when you can!

QuilterLabs
04-04-2013, 05:19 PM
...and did I mention?
Keb Mo is using a 12" Aviator in the studio right now.
Does that count for anything?

b3l5tele
04-04-2013, 05:38 PM
After reading this thread I can say this. First, Mr. Fryette is a class act (if he ever releases that non master volume jazz amp I will get in line to buy one). Second, this Quilter company looks like a class act as well and I will definitely be giving that Aviator model a try.

QuilterLabs
04-04-2013, 05:40 PM
After reading this thread I can say this. First, Mr. Fryette is a class act

Agreed. I have thought so since the first time I met him.

(and I am Chris in case you are wondering.)

drohm
04-04-2013, 06:05 PM
I own the Micropro Vintage 10" with a 12" extension cab. It is a great amp and it really shines with the P90 pups on my Collings 290. I'm also an electrical engineer - Piled Higher & Deeper, and I know who Pat Quilter is by reputation. I suppose each sub-culture has its own icons and recognizable persons. It always makes me laugh when some consumers view a product as more legitimate when they see some clueless, burned-out rocker standing in front of the product, instead of the educated and experienced engineer that designed it. I'm sure glad my BMW was not designed by a celebrity race car driver. Ah, but I digress.

It looks like the Aviator maintains the same great characteristics that the Micropro series has, while adapting to some customer requests and adding improvements learned over the past couple years - i.e., open back, design, etc. In fact, I plan to get one, but cannot decide yet between the Open-12 and the Two-Ten. Maybe both are needed...

Oh yes, one more thing. I own an entire PA full of QSC gear. It is rock solid, wonderful sounding, and completely satisfying gear to own. Knowing that my guitar amps are designed and developed by a group of people from that company DOES influence my purchasing decisions.

Ok, I'm turning up my Vintage 10 and logging off.

Kyle Ashley
04-05-2013, 01:20 AM

Wow - you have great SS background! I'm really looking forward to hearing your evaluation now. I'm big on tube amps and have a bunch of Marshall, Fender, Bogner to choose from, but I've never really spent much $$ on any SS amps.

My only 2 forays into SS were Peavey TransTube and Tech21 Trademarks. Both were OK, but fell a bit short with some weird midrange EQ vibes that couldn't be dialed out.

Then of course I've tried some digital offerings from Line6, Vox, Fender, and Peavey. ALL of those were returned within hours. Dreadfully nasty sounding at stage volume.

DC1
04-05-2013, 03:55 AM
...and did I mention?
Keb Mo is using a 12" Aviator in the studio right now.
Does that count for anything?

Yeah that counts.

I want to hear one.

dc

HillbillySims
04-05-2013, 05:31 AM
Wow - you have great SS background! I'm really looking forward to hearing your evaluation now. I'm big on tube amps and have a bunch of Marshall, Fender, Bogner to choose from, but I've never really spent much $$ on any SS amps.

My only 2 forays into SS were Peavey TransTube and Tech21 Trademarks. Both were OK, but fell a bit short with some weird midrange EQ vibes that couldn't be dialed out.

Then of course I've tried some digital offerings from Line6, Vox, Fender, and Peavey. ALL of those were returned within hours. Dreadfully nasty sounding at stage volume.

I love both.. as long as they are quality... they both have their own +/-... my main amps are a 3rd Power American Dream (tube combo), Bogner Shiva, & vintage Plexi Super-lead. But even owning those, I still often pull out my Yamaha G100 solid state amp & love it... its probably a $150 amp

V-Type
04-05-2013, 06:44 AM
I watched the vids on the Quilter site.
Thats an impressive array of tones specifically from the 2 -10".
The brilliance of 400 Class D being squeezed in 100 watts per channel use able really seems too capture the energy that a lot of tube amps can produce.
Impressive and interested too say the least.

Sirloin
04-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Here's some "quirky" marketing for ya: "Let's name our amps after buttholes and female private parts!" :facepalm At least aviator sounds a little classy

Gryphon
04-05-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm pretty sure he's referring to a well known builder (that makes Marshall style amps) that uses these odd choices for names for his amps.

OOG
04-05-2013, 12:45 PM

WRONG

guess that was a bit harsh
but
i grew up in Costa Mesa and along with many of the bands and players in Orange County played and loved Pat's tube amps in the 60's

scolfax
04-05-2013, 01:15 PM
And regardless, doesn't it make more sense to talk about these new amps?!

XXTwighlight
04-05-2013, 09:11 PM

You have to click on the pictures of the amps on that picture collage.
I too had that problem with my Ipad.

Ben Furman
04-05-2013, 09:21 PM
I kinda like the Middle Earth esthetic of the MicroPro and those Napa Valley ads.... :hide

But for those of you that don't, they went and fixed it. What's not to like about that?

XXTwighlight
04-05-2013, 09:29 PM
I am about > < this close to ordering the Aviator based on the demo's. here's what I would really like to know though. Maybe Quilterlabs will post a detailed response which may be useful to all of us (as I could not find the answer anywhere on their website)

1. Design wise, tone wise, performance wise... What makes Quilter different than other solid state designs known for going after tube-like sounds? (such as Pritchard, Evans, Pearce, Tech-21) ?

2. Is there 1 or more things that is really unique about Quilter as far as the design compared to other SS amps... something that you feel gives you an edge over the competition?

3. it says "200 watt engine" But I have seen some other posts on sites saying "100 watts per channel" Which is it? If I get a single 12 combo, is it going to be sending a full 200watts to the speaker... or 100?

I would appreciate more info such as this. Not asking for any secrets to be revealed.. just interested to know why Quilter is better & why I should choose your amp over some of the other offerings out there.

This may help me solidify my decision.

I own the Micropro 200 and just sold my Victoria Bassman and Musicman rd50 , which i swore Id never sell.
It does sound very tube- like! But maybe a slight more compressed than a tube amp.
The EQ knobs work great. I have the little 8" combo and the mids and treble are useable throughout thier range. The bass can really thump. So much so that u would prob never have it fully cranked. All EQ knobs at 12 noon is pretty much a well balanced tone foundation. You can add or take away from there.
The cleans slightly beat out my Musicman Rd50 cleans. Especially cranked. The MM got harsh and solid statey cranked. The Quilter maintains and stays together and breaks up just past 1:00. But the breakup really sounds nice. The Micropro has a fair amount of headroom as well.
I wrote in anther TGP thread about the gain channel sounding very nice and i could even get the gain to sound very very similar to my Red Snapper & Dirty Little Secret v1 drive pedals. I read from a post that the drive can be fizzy. I disagree. I found it fairly tight. Maybe at very low volumes it sounds a bit looser, but with the volume up a bit it tightens nicely. It still sounds nice at low vol. but better cranked a bit.
The reverb sounds nice and can really really surf, but its voiced a bit bright IM
O.
The trem sounds nice but needs a depth knob.
Fx loop works nice and direct out for mic allows me to leave my mic at home.
Overall a great & powerful...for its size...little amp. 18 lbs for the 8" combo.
I run the clean vol around 11:00 for most wedding gigs I play w/horn section.

The tone balance of clean and drive is very balanced. The 2 nd drive channel sounds just like the clean ch. but with gain added as needed. The volumes match evenly too. Unlike many amps. So whatever number you are on with the clean ch., the gain ch. number is pretty much in the same setting. More gain will increase vol. a bit, but i use the Micropro for light rhytym gain and pedals to boost solos.
The Quilter isnt the be all,end all of amps, but its that trendy line...a "game changer" fo sho!

I havent tried the new Aviator. Im just describing the Micropro 200 8" combo.
But I was told they are pretty much voiced the same.

bluesdoc
04-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Slightly OT, but I was awed by a guitar player/songwriter in the early 80s who played a Quilter Bantam amp. He made that amp just sing! He had a local/regional following here and we were all awed by his tone and playing. RIP Bob... (he also wrote some of Tommy Tutone's material).

It was in my possession once a while ago and needed servicing. Bill from Two Rock took care of it. He said, 'cool little amp' ;)

jon

OOG
04-07-2013, 03:26 AM
I played a Bantam for a couple of years
it was a cool little amp

HillbillySims
04-07-2013, 07:27 AM
my aviator will be here Tuesday... lookin forward to it

Jon Silberman
04-07-2013, 07:41 AM
We're looking forward to your full review!

danonbass
04-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Subscribed! I'm very interested in hearing the forthcoming reviews!

relix63
04-07-2013, 11:08 PM
I can't wait to hear some reviews on these. The 2-10 sounds interesting.

ripoffriffs
04-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Wonder if he will make a head version? Or is the amp line tied to the speakers in the cab in order to get the tube-like tone?

XXTwighlight
04-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Wonder if he will make a head version? Or is the amp line tied to the speakers in the cab in order to get the tube-like tone?

Quilter does make a little 7 lb head for Micropro series.
I would assume they are coming out with a head for the Aviator model as well.

HillbillySims
04-09-2013, 11:58 AM
quilter aviator 12 just arrived... I will test it out when I get home & maybe capture some recordings

billyguitar
04-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Looking forward to your review!

ReddRanger
04-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Yeah, looking forward to the reveiw.

As an off-topic note, a friend loaned me his MircoPro 200 (10 inch) to try out. I really like it so far.

scolfax
04-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Just in case you missed my sig, I interviewed Chris Parks and Pat Quilter about the Aviator this morning.

You can listen to the podcast here: http://darkforebodingstew.com/podcasts/dark-foreboding-stew-episode-6

Ben Furman
04-09-2013, 07:22 PM
You can listen to the podcast here: http://darkforebodingstew.com/podcasts/dark-foreboding-stew-episode-6

Thanks for that! Good folks, that's for sure.

HillbillySims
04-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Just posted a full review... you can read it here... http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=15286709#post15286709

Rod
04-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Is the Aviator 's lead channel the same as the Micropro's lead channel?

QuilterLabs
04-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Hi Rod, they are quite similar. Not as much gain I would think especially given the MicroPro 200's additional boost feature.

dharmafool
04-09-2013, 11:22 PM
Just in case you missed my sig, I interviewed Chris Parks and Pat Quilter about the Aviator this morning.

Real good stuff. Thanks!

Rod
04-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Hi Rod, they are quite similar. Not as much gain I would think especially given the MicroPro 200's additional boost feature.

Thanks Chris.....

scolfax
04-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Not the Aviator, but interesting:

Y49J3-T1jiE

McShred
04-11-2013, 11:54 AM
There you go

AS an FYI, when posting and embedding youtube links, starting from the right of the link, you need to delete everything all the way up to and including the = sign.

Not the Aviator, but interesting:

Y49J3-T1jiE

scolfax
04-11-2013, 01:39 PM
AS an FYI, when posting and embedding youtube links, starting from the right of the link, you need to delete everything all the way up to and including the = sign.

Thanks! I've done it a million times, but this time I just couldn't understand why it wasn't working!

Anyway, just pulled the trigger on a 12" Aviator! Can't wait to hear it in person!

Ben Furman
04-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Anyway, just pulled the trigger on a 12" Aviator! Can't wait to hear it in person!

What finally made you decide on the 12" over the 8"?

markszabo
04-12-2013, 08:52 AM
What price range do these amps occupy? Also, where can I buy one online?

scolfax
04-12-2013, 09:10 AM
What finally made you decide on the 12" over the 8"?

I have always played 12" combos, so figured I couldn't go wrong with that. 200w will be the loudest amp I'll have ever owned - I hope the volume control works well for lower-volume garage playing.

My only concerns with the 8" was that it might have a more boxy sound, or that its wide-range speaker wouldn't sound "right" for classic rock tones, but those were just guesses. The size and weight on the 8" are tough to ignore.

What price range do these amps occupy? Also, where can I buy one online?

$699 for the 8", $899 for the 12", $949 for 2 10"'s. QuilterLabs.com (http://quilterlabs.com)

XXTwighlight
04-12-2013, 12:58 PM
I have always played 12" combos, so figured I couldn't go wrong with that. 200w will be the loudest amp I'll have ever owned - I hope the volume control works well for lower-volume garage playing.

My only concerns with the 8" was that it might have a more boxy sound, or that its wide-range speaker wouldn't sound "right" for classic rock tones, but those were just guesses. The size and weight on the 8" are tough to ignore.

$699 for the 8", $899 for the 12", $949 for 2 10"'s. QuilterLabs.com (http://quilterlabs.com)

I own the 8" micropro combo.
These are solid state 200 watts, not tube, so its actually less power than if it was a 200 watt tube amp. I dont know the tech aspects of why, but its still plenty loud. Maybe similar to a 40 watt tube amp...? Im just guessing.
Plus I believe its 100 watts per channel. 2 channels= 200 watts.
It sounds nice at lower volumes and great at cranked as well. It doesnt lose composure at full volumes like many amps do, especially solid state amps.
It should sound great amp garage volume.
The 8" model (micropro) is very small and light, as well as very narrow in depth, but amazingly, its not too boxy at all for its size. Im sure the larger cab 12" micropro and the 12" aviator will sound even less boxey, but they would also be larger.
But honestly, its not nearly as boxey as you would think.
Its really the best guitar amp out there in relation to its size and weight.

Petimar
04-12-2013, 01:13 PM
http://www.quilterlabs.com/

scolfax
04-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Just posted a full review... you can read it here... http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=15286709#post15286709

Just added my takeaway to that thread after about an hour with mine: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=15318763&postcount=22

Ben Furman
04-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Aviator + MI Audio Crunch Box? Discuss...

HillbillySims
04-15-2013, 10:12 PM
I haven't used a crunch box with the aviator, but I've
Used a weehbo bastard and a ibanez sd9m sonic distortion. Both worked great. The aviator's front end is very accommodating of pedals. It absolutely kills clean and dirty country tones with my Wampler ego comp

Ben Furman
04-16-2013, 06:57 AM
What I was thinking is, basically, the CB is a Marshall-in-a-box type of pedal.

The Aviator strikes me as a Fendery sort of amp with a 6V6 flavor. Also, the overdrive level in the MicroPro demos seems to be adequate for good sustain with humbuckers (e.g. Matt Blackett's humbucker-equipped Tele), but the character is mildly raspy/splatty. That is good for some types of music, but it's different from the way an EL34- powered Marshall distorts.

Does the tone knob change the character substantially, or is a pedal a better way to influence the amp's personality?

HillbillySims
04-16-2013, 07:26 AM
I was a little worried about the tone knob. I had never had an amp with a single tone-knob like that. But it does substantial changes throughout the sweep. It took me all of 1-2 seconds to find a spot that had a perfect balance of highs/mids/lows. I set my core clean tone 1st... then tailored the OD pedals around that.

I also experimented with running drive pedals into the channel 2 at low gain settings on the amp with great success. Depending on the gig, I'd probably use both channels in this fashion. For my country gigs I could probably take a compressor & delay pedal & nothing else & have all the sounds I wanted.

Bikedude
04-16-2013, 01:17 PM
I might have missed a post, but how does this amp sound in a live setting, mic'ed to FOH or from the stage. Does it hold up? My experience with SS amps has been, while they often sound great @ home, in a real world setting, they can sound thin and shrill when driven. I had an olde Fender Ultra Chorus that sounded great until you got it live on stage, then it got lost. I have an olde L6 Flextone II/Plus that sounds OK cranked on stage, but starts to "ear fatique" you after a couple of sets. My Roland Cube60 is the best stage amp of all the SS amps I've gigged, whether going to FOH miced, direct, and or with a pedal board in front, the C60 does pretty good.

Just curious about the stage worthy aspects of this new SS amp for anyone that has actually used one live. I like QSC stuff, as I sometimes use my direct rig of HD500, or Tech 21 Blonde>K10>FOH. So what say ye?

cofro17
04-18-2013, 06:56 AM
bump!
I'm thinking about buying one of these as my next amp?
Lets hear some reviews!

jcalama
04-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Just bought an 8" Aviator...will post a review when it arrives.

scolfax
04-25-2013, 02:14 PM

Can't wait to hear it. The Aviator was one of the best gear choices I've made. Going to do some recordings with it this week. Really want to try out the direct-out instead of mic'ing it.

Rod
04-25-2013, 07:02 PM

Please do!!!:phones

QuilterLabs
04-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Dave Hidalgo of Los Lobos just dropped in.
If you are looking to hear one, check out Los Lobos May 5th at the Greek Amphitheater.

http://www.quilterlabs.com/images/ads/hidalgo.jpg

Rod
04-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Dave Hidalgo of Los Lobos just dropped in.
If you are looking to hear one, check out Los Lobos May 5th at the Greek Amphitheater.

http://www.quilterlabs.com/images/ads/hidalgo.jpg

That's great!! David is such a great musician as is his whole band..:phones:phones

Jon Silberman
04-28-2013, 07:22 PM
David Hidalgo is a national treasure!

HillbillySims
05-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Just for giggles, I hooked up my old ADA MP-1 to the Quilter's clean channel this morning.. sounded great. This was done at near gig levels by the way.. this amp has a ton of power, especially when boosted a little at the front end. (the speaker is a Weber Michigan).. Hopefully this link works

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151651579718653&l=8271663651940536767

HillbillySims
05-01-2013, 10:25 AM
I'll try to grab a tele today & record a more country style video to show how much it can sound like a Deluxe. It really shines in that realm

MartinPiana
05-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Can anybody lay out the basic differences between the Aviator and the MicroPro? I glean that they are basically the same circuitry and sound - is that right? If so, what's the diff?

UPDATE: Below is the prompt and very helpful response Chris at Quilter emailed me in two parts. My biggest takeaway - similar voicing, open back makes a difference in 12" Aviator, MicroPro has more features for tweaking, has tremolo, comes with footswitch and cost just a bit more.:

The Major differences between the MicroPro (beyond the obvious surface cosmetics) in a nutshell are feature driven.
The same core amplifier technology drives both and they are voiced quite similarly.
See below for a full feature set comparison.
(He pasted a big grid comparing all the versions of each model, which isn't reproducing here and which I haven't yet come across on their site.)

Second email:

Just realized you wanted 12" specifics...
Well, the MicroPro is closed back Aviator is open back.
The MicroPro has boost, limiter, reverb path, voicings for channel 2, the Aviator does not.
Both have same amp engine so tone is similar but... The MicroPro will sound different with the compression of the sealed cabinet. (More Marshall-y) whereas the Aviator will likely seem more open and Fender-y.

HillbillySims
05-01-2013, 04:19 PM
maybe quilter can chime in.. but I "think" the micropro has a lot more options & more gain on tap. The aviator is more liken to a simple 2 channel amp with simple controls

Ben Furman
05-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Is your ADA pre stock?

Rod
05-01-2013, 07:51 PM
I'll try to grab a tele today & record a more country style video to show how much it can sound like a Deluxe. It really shines in that realm

Anthony, that sounds great!!!!

Kyle Ashley
05-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Just for giggles, I hooked up my old ADA MP-1 to the Quilter's clean channel this morning.. sounded great. This was done at near gig levels by the way.. this amp has a ton of power, especially when boosted a little at the front end. (the speaker is a Weber Michigan).. Hopefully this link works

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151651579718653&l=8271663651940536767

Cool! Is that a ceramic or alnico Michigan? Older or newer model?

HillbillySims
05-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Weber is an older Michigan ceramic. The ADA is bone stock, MP-1 "Classic" version

Cal Webway
05-01-2013, 08:40 PM
I'd be interested in trying some Quilters.

Lucidology
05-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Damn ... that amp sounds good on every sampler ...!!

Ben Furman
05-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Well, if tone is in the hands, then you're blessed with good hands. :)

That Winger bit just kills me. In a good way.

Petimar
05-02-2013, 02:43 AM
I just got the MicroPro 200 and am very impressed!

HillbillySims
05-02-2013, 08:04 AM
That Winger bit just kills me. In a good way.

Ha ha. Thanks. I probably shoulda used my KittyHawk Quattrotube preamp for that bit, because I think thats what Reb Beach used back then.

I'll try to get some clean & low gain samples up soon (with a Tele). The above video was done with a mid-70's Les Paul

jcalama
05-02-2013, 03:18 PM
As promised, here is my review of the 8" Quilter Aviator (Ultralight).

In short, I'm blown away!

The amp was well packaged and arrived in perfect condition. It has a good build quality and is light (22 pounds).

It's loud...really, really loud. Much louder than the laws of physics should allow an 8" speaker to be. I would not feel outgunned by another loud guitarist, bassist and drummer if all I took to the gig with me was this 8" combo.

When plugged into my additional 1 x 12 cab with an Eminence "The Tonker", the low end became that much more solid (mind you, the low end on this 8" speaker is another remarkable accomplishment. This thing has impressive low end definition for being an 8" speaker...try as I might, I could not get it to be farty.)

The clean channel is quite versatile. Hard to believe that you can get that much tonal variety with just a volume and tone knob. I found the clean channel to have a wonderful feel and lovely tone that is quite alive. If you blindfolded me and told me that this was not a tube amp, I wouldn't believe you. It feels tube-like in its response, touch sensitivity and character.

The overdrive channel is quite versatile, though I primarily set it up to be just at the point of break up and a little louder, so I could slam the front of it with my Kingsley Jester (love, love, love the Kingsley Jester into the front of both the clean and overdrive channels of this amp).

Here's my signal chain - PRS HollowBody II -> Volume Pedal -> Kingsley Jester (12ax7 based tube boost / overdrive) -> Aviator. Effects Loop = Strymon Mobius -> Diamond Memory Lane Jr. -> Strymon El Capistan -> Strymon Flint.

Also, the reverb on this amp, consisting of a level control and a dwell control, is quite good in my humble opinion (though not as complex as the Flint). I would set the reverb on the amp to something more appropriate for an "always on" room type of sound, and then set my Flint for a bigger, more effected type of sound. Wonderful combination.

I even sent the signal to my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 firewire interface and got good results.

I can't recommend this amp enough. With a totally reasonable price ($699) and 30 day evaluation period + free shipping in both directions if you don't want it, I can't imagine why you wouldn't give one a spin if you were looking for an amp.

That's my two cents.

HillbillySims
05-02-2013, 05:52 PM
I swapped the Weber Michigan out today for a new Eminence Alpa 12a. Which is 300 watt (program handling) speaker that only weighs 5lbs! The Aviator feels so light with it!

Sound wise, honestly, I cant tell much difference between it and the Weber Michigan other than increased headroom.. Those of you looking for more headroom before speaker breakup, look at the Alpha 12a. It'll save you some weight & sounds great. I dont think I will even try the EVM12L now. either the Alpha or Weber will stay

Kyle Ashley
05-02-2013, 08:55 PM
I swapped the Weber Michigan out today for a new Eminence Alpa 12a. Which is 300 watt (program handling) speaker that only weighs 5lbs! The Aviator feels so light with it!

Sound wise, honestly, I cant tell much difference between it and the Weber Michigan other than increased headroom.. Those of you looking for more headroom before speaker breakup, look at the Alpha 12a. It'll save you some weight & sounds great. I dont think I will even try the EVM12L now. either the Alpha or Weber will stay

Interesting...that's like a PA cabinet speaker isn't it?

HillbillySims
05-02-2013, 10:01 PM
i see them listed as guitar speakers on some sites... PA on others. It sounds like a guitar speaker to me though.. very nice.. and SUPER light

Ben Furman
05-03-2013, 05:25 PM
I probably shoulda used my KittyHawk Quattrotube preamp for that bit, because I think thats what Reb Beach used back then.

Hmmm. Didn't know that. He has used Pearce amps in more recent times, though.

Kyle Ashley
05-03-2013, 05:58 PM
i see them listed as guitar speakers on some sites... PA on others. It sounds like a guitar speaker to me though.. very nice.. and SUPER light

What about the stock speaker made you want to switch out?

A440
05-10-2013, 12:48 PM
With users including David Hildago and Holdsworth, I'd definitely like to try one out. I wonder if AH is just using it as a clean platform or if he's using the dirty channel options. There's a vid posted on FB of AH using a pair of these at The Coach House.

QuilterLabs
05-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Hi there A440 he uses both actually.
Two of them for his clean stereo image and two for his dirty stereo image.
(This is chris from Quilter here.)
I plugged all of Allan's rig in simultaneously one time and cranked them and man! What a powerful rig! I think it modified my DNA.
Allan is an incredible player, and a true friend and gentleman. I am lucky to know him.

kebotrans
05-15-2013, 08:57 PM
I received my Aviator 2x10 today. I am very impressed. I never expected this amp to have so much authority. The cleans are amazing and channel 2 is just awesome. I can just tell this amp going to soak up pedals as well. The amp has a great look as well and I love the weight.

HillbillySims
05-17-2013, 08:28 AM
What about the stock speaker made you want to switch out?

I play fairly louder gigs. I thought the amp was a little powerful for the speaker (on the upper levels).. but keep in mind, its getting pretty darn loud before the stock speaker breaks up.

most people may not see a need to upgrade. I'm just used to having a speaker rated twice as loud in watts as the amp that is pushing it.

Kyle Ashley
05-17-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm just used to having a speaker rated twice as loud in watts as the amp that is pushing it.

me too! thanks

Crazyquilt
05-18-2013, 01:29 PM
I am seriously, seriously considering one of these, but I'm vacillating hopelessly between the 8 and the 2x10. I play solo, primarily clean to edge of breakup, on a big-bodied Gretsch or amplified reso or other acoustic, with a significant amount of looping involved. My practical, "I love miniature things that sound huge!" side is tending towards the 8, but the clips I hear really seem (to my ears) to favor the 2x10.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery? :D

QuilterLabs
05-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Either one will sound great. The 2x10 will tend to have a warmer and chewier tone and is the most powerful sound pressure wise of the two. The 8 will have more upper end clarity. Either way if you go the wrong way first you can always upgrade it. Shipping is free on the return trip so you wouldn't be out anything. Hope that helps.

Jon Silberman
05-18-2013, 09:36 PM
How would you describe the difference between the 2X10 and 1X12? (BTW, I'm a huge CL80 fan - great speakers. Is that the speaker in your Aviator open back 1X12?)

Kyle Ashley
05-18-2013, 09:49 PM
How would you describe the difference between the 2X10 and 1X12? (BTW, I'm a huge CL80 fan - great speakers. Is that the speaker in your Aviator open back 1X12?)

+1

I'm so close to buying. Was decided on the 1x12, but I already have a few 1x12 combos, so I started considering the 1x8.....now the 2x10 has my interest.

Am I correct in that the amplifier component is the same in all models?

scolfax
05-20-2013, 11:51 AM
+1

I'm so close to buying. Was decided on the 1x12, but I already have a few 1x12 combos, so I started considering the 1x8.....now the 2x10 has my interest.

Am I correct in that the amplifier component is the same in all models?

I *think* the 1x8 has a smaller power section than the others. Just a guess.

kebotrans
05-20-2013, 11:55 AM
I have the 2x10. I am a dual speaker guy. I like the way it adds depth. You will be impressed with the bottom end of the 2x10. I know I was.

ptgold
05-20-2013, 12:15 PM
I have the 2x10. I am a dual speaker guy. I like the way it adds depth. You will be impressed with the bottom end of the 2x10. I know I was.

Going by the videos....I much preferred the 2x10. Sounded the most 3d to me.

dconeill
05-20-2013, 12:21 PM
I *think* the 1x8 has a smaller power section than the others. Just a guess.

I wonder where you got this info. The Quilter website claims 100w/ch for all of the Aviators. It looks to me like they put the same chassis into different cabinets according to the speakers used, but that the chassis is identical across all models of Aviator.

QuilterLabs
05-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Yikes, I have been slacking! (Chris from Quilter here.) We were working with Dan the guitar tech for the black keys over the weekend so were kind of busy... Apologies.
To answer the questions...
1) Difference between the 1x12 and 2x10
-The CL80 in the 1x12 tends to have a brighter and more rounded tone with deeper lows and a crisp high. It is whopping powerful but with the new technology it also sounds incredible at flea cough volume.
-The 2x10 will have a more rounded and tame top end but a massive and powerful punch in the midrange. I can get either to sound fairly similar with EQ'ing but typically I recommend going with what you are used to. I will recommend the 2x10 if you play 'really' loud.
2) The Aviator 8 has the same head as all the Aviator amps. The only difference is the speaker and the fact that the 8 is sealed and the other two are open back.

Keep in mind that with the new technology Pat has invented you will have to throw out some of the old way of thinking. The EQ's are active and have far more control than you may be used to. The Master volume really works so you can get great tone and maintain a non hearing loss environment on stage. (Unless you want to rip heads off, then it will do that too.)The little 8" is nothing short of incredible. (It will hang right in there with any typical 40-60 watt 12" speaker tube amp.) The other two. Well... They are pretty powerful.
At the end of the day I say try one of these if you are in the market. If you don't love it we will pay for shipping to buy it back. You'll be out nothing.
If you can't decide, go with your gut and pull the trigger. We can always swap it out with the other if it doesn't work for you.
Here's to hoping my rambling helped...
;)

QuilterLabs
05-20-2013, 12:32 PM
I wonder where you got this info. The Quilter website claims 100w/ch for all of the Aviators. It looks to me like they put the same chassis into different cabinets according to the speakers used, but that the chassis is identical across all models of Aviator.

You are correct good sir.

Kyle Ashley
05-21-2013, 01:28 AM
Great answers...I'm excited and will be giving one a shot. Hot weather coming into my FL gigs means the Bogners and Fenders go into storage on my outside gigs in favor of a SS design.

Jon Silberman
05-21-2013, 05:41 AM
What does hot weather have to do with tubes v. SS?!

Kyle Ashley
05-21-2013, 08:44 AM
What does hot weather have to do with tubes v. SS?!

I have some outdoor gigs and it gets well over 100* with fairly direct sunlight. I just don't prefer to run my expensive tube amps that hot for relatively low $$ gigs.

tmac
05-21-2013, 09:08 AM
I ordered an Aviator 8 yesterday. A small, powerful, light, reliable, reasonably priced amp sounded very attractive to me for rehearsal and smaller gigs. No tubes to futz with (which I am wont to do) which can be a blessing sometimes. Maybe I could even hook up my Mesa 1x12 ext. cab for bigger gigs (and get the extra watts available from the Quilter power section). Seems to me that Pat and the crew there have been around amplification and pro sound long enough to know what works and I believe they've thought this out pretty well. I don't expect it completely replace my tube amps, I'll still love my old Deluxe Reverb but to get it sounding "right" it still has to be pretty loud. Certainly a DR is overkill for some situations. Anyway, we shall see - but I expect the Quilter to be very good.
I have no affiliation with these guys, just a player.

QuilterLabs
05-21-2013, 10:11 AM
I have some outdoor gigs and it gets well over 100* with fairly direct sunlight. I just don't prefer to run my expensive tube amps that hot for relatively low $$ gigs.

Good call. That is kind of how we think of our products too. They aren't the absolute answer to everything. Just a good daily driver to preserve the great tube amps out there.
You are correct in assuming that the Aviator will run much cooler. It is an ultra high efficiency Class D design. Even at cranking volumes it gets only modestly warm to the touch. Looking forward to your feedback when you get a chance to try one.

Kyle Ashley
05-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Good call. That is kind of how we think of our products too. They aren't the absolute answer to everything. Just a good daily driver to preserve the great tube amps out there.
You are correct in assuming that the Aviator will run much cooler. It is an ultra high efficiency Class D design. Even at cranking volumes it gets only modestly warm to the touch. Looking forward to your feedback when you get a chance to try one.

Thanks! One more question that I've probably missed the answer to already, when running the ext. speaker jack, is the internal speaker on the Aviator muted?

Al Rose
05-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Not to mention the "surprise" afternoon thunderstorms, which recently have been happening throughout the day (I'm down here on vacation for another week).

Al

MartinPiana
05-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Can Aviator owners or prospective owners hip me as to why your prefer the Aviator over the MicroPro, which seems to be the same basic circuit but with more controls/sounds?

Crazyquilt
05-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Can Aviator owners or prospective owners hip me as to why your prefer the Aviator over the MicroPro, which seems to be the same basic circuit but with more controls/sounds?

I actually prefer a more limited feature set. While a lot of stuff on the MicroPro200 might be useful to me, my personal experience is that it's likely to be more distracting than illuminating on balance. IIRC, the MP200's clean channel doesn't work in the same way as the Aviator's, and I like what I've heard of the latter more, as well as the idea of a sort of a mid-contour, rather than a traditional tone, knob. It's not the styling, either; I may be in the minority, but I like the funky "Shire meets Sony" look of the MPs. :aok

Jon Silberman
05-21-2013, 01:44 PM
And to think of all of those decades that hundreds of thousands of people ran their tube amps hot in the sun or transported or temporarily stored them inside car trunks. How did we do it?! Which leads me to ask, just how cool do you think a tube gets on the inside when the second set comes?! Any glue or nitro in or on your guitar or amp will soften before the heat affects your tubes or other electrical components.

jrd509
05-21-2013, 01:45 PM
I am looking for a lightweight amp that will be mainly used for jazz gigging. I would be pairing it with the Gibson es-335. Which amp, between the Aviator and the MicroPro, would be a better purchase? Thanks

scolfax
05-21-2013, 01:56 PM

I stand corrected!

I wanted something that was plug-and-play. Just looked like the Micro-Pro had too many options for me. I have five pedals on my board if I need more control.

QuilterLabs
05-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Is the internal speaker on the Aviator muted?

No it is not.

This is a tough question. Go for the Aviator if you prefer a simpler and more straightforward interface or if you need an open back sound.
Go for the MicroPro if you want the most features, the lightest possible weight and don't mind closed back.

Which amp, between the Aviator and the MicroPro, would be a better purchase?
Tough question. Email me at chris@quilterlabs.com and I will be share my thoughts. I want to be sensitive to the good folks and the rules of the board.

MartinPiana
05-21-2013, 04:48 PM
With the MicroPro, you can run a mic and a guitar similtaneously, right? Altho the mic would get the same EQ as the guitar, is that correct?

xjojox
05-21-2013, 05:49 PM
w2MCcklKhvw

How can ya not love this guy??

benadrian
05-21-2013, 06:08 PM
I know. I tried to find Pat at this years NAMM, but I missed him at the QSC booth and I could make it to the guitar fest that quilter was sponsoring.

HillbillySims
05-21-2013, 08:49 PM
I finally recorded a little demo video for you guys... very unplanned out.. just noodling around & showing some of the features/sounds. The only FX added is some light delay from a BBE Two Timer. In one portion of the video I mention adding a Nobels ODR-1 overdrive on the clean channel (set for very light overdrive)..... its uploading now... will post asap (Keep in mind... some not so good playing, but representive of what the amp sounds like)

HillbillySims
05-21-2013, 08:56 PM
UPDATED DEMO.. now on YOUTUBE >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu1Qw...ature=youtu.be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu1QwQpe7D4&feature=youtu.be)

Crazyquilt
05-22-2013, 08:27 AM
After much thought, reading & watching, I just ordered a MicroPro 200 8. The love it gets over at SurfGuitar101 finally pushed me over the edge. Also, this:

UalIF_5gR2c

QuilterLabs
05-22-2013, 08:55 AM
With the MicroPro, you can run a mic and a guitar similtaneously, right? Altho the mic would get the same EQ as the guitar, is that correct?

True you can, but the mic receives no EQ at all. If you use the 8" and have a full range dynamic mic, the results are pretty impressive.

HillbillySims
05-22-2013, 09:13 AM
UPLOADED TO YOUTUBE >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu1QwQpe7D4&feature=youtu.be

Crazyquilt
05-28-2013, 09:19 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5337/8873420141_fd116f019e_z.jpg

Check out my new little friend.

It got here today, and I've been puttering on & off with it as time has allowed. I could get good tones quickly, but I am getting better sounds as I start to come to terms with all the knobs and lights. I don't want to say too much more about the amp until I've had it longer & have some more intelligent comments to share.

Until then, enjoy the pretty lights. I have to admit I kinda wish the knobs & stuff made old school Star Trek noises, but I'm funny that way. Among others.

Jon Silberman
06-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Which footswitch did you get with it and why? (I'm contemplating a MP200, too.)

Kyle Ashley
06-03-2013, 09:42 PM
OK - I just ordered the Ultralight 8. I have many cabinets to supplement it if necessary. Looking forward to playing it!

Crazyquilt
06-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Which footswitch did you get with it and why? (I'm contemplating a MP200, too.)

I went ahead & ordered the 6 button, Jon, as it was only a $59 add-on with the amp. I had to leave town only about 48hrs after I got the amp, and in that time, only explored the amp itself. When I get back, late next week, I'll start puttering with the footswitch & report back.

I will say that I am definitely happy that I ordered the MP200, despite my earlier comment expressing a preference for simpler amps. The control layout is logical, and I was making great strides in tuning/tweaking the amp to get exactly the sounds I like. I do find myself preferring the FullQ model, although adding in the scooped boost makes it more black-facey and (for my solo fingerpicking stuff) extremely effective; the enhanced thump & detail of that setting is great. With the boost level set just a bit above unity, it almost sounds like a nice compressor, thickening the tone while making it simultaneously more detailed though not thin, but, of course, there's no effect on dynamics as with a comp.

The "models" I see more as filters of decreasing fidelity, sort of like the resolution control for Line 6's Lo Res Delay effect. (Yes. I know that isn't really how it works. But it has a reminiscent sound.) I could find usable settings on all of them, even the Mini, which the guide calls a "toy" or "special effect" has its definite value -- not all guitar must, or should be, beautiful & perfect, after all!

The major problem I had, which I was learning to mediate over time, was the high end, which could be harsh. The reverb tended to emphasize this; I was still trying to get the 'verb voiced & balanced consistently well when I left.

At first, mostly because of that top end, I was strongly considering changing the 8 for a 10, and I still might, but as I said above, I was getting a better handle on the amp before I left.

(I almost brought the amp with me -- I'm actually near you, now, Jon, in Baltimore, for eye surgery down at Hopkins -- but I got paranoid about leaving it in a hotel room, so I brought a ZT Lunchbox instead.)

Faraday
06-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Hey guys, I can't get any of the YouTube posts to work - probably something I goofed up on my computer. I play in a bar / street fair cover band, but we cover a variety that includes some 50s and rockabilly, a little non-Nashville country, and also some British Invasion and even a little surf. Nothing super-loud - outside we go mic'ed and pray for a good sound man. I carry a tweed clone from Victoria and Deluxe RI but we sometimes are cramped for space or outside under lousy conditions, so I'm looking for something reliable and not too expensive.

Like most of you, I prefer the tube sound, but like some of you, I'm not sure that after the acoustic conditions and ambient noise on most of our gigs that anyone out there would hear a big difference between a tube amp and a good solid state that is voiced for our music. People don't sit in rapt silence and listen to us.

I'm thinking about something like a Tone King that can do Tweed and Blackface, but that doesn't ring the bell on the not-to-expensive to worry about outside or the solid state reliability scale.

Finally, the questions: (1) how well will one of these Quilters do on covering Tweed and Blackface sounds well enough for my kind of music and my kind of venues and audiences. I have good compression and delay pedals, as well as a Wampler Tweed pedal that I occasionally use when I know I can take only my Deluxe RI. (2) which Quilter might be best. (I don't want to take up Quilter's offer of trying one and returning it if I don't like it if I can avoid that up-front. It's a great offer that I don't want to abuse.)

Thanks.

HillbillySims
06-04-2013, 09:38 PM
I ended up having to sell mine due to some financial/medical bill stuff unfortuntely, (pending payment).. but I used it again in tonights band rehearsal (at LOUD levels) & it sounds SO DARN GOOD!!

i believe I'll be getting another Aviator down the road for sure

To answer the above question..Blackface/Tweed amps are what I have always played. The Quilter fills that niche very nicely. if you throw a compressor/drive/delay in front of it, it really comes alive & has so much headroom. But it sounds GREAT at high volumes unlike some solid state amps

tomtheguitarguy
06-05-2013, 11:32 AM
I ended up having to sell mine due to some financial/medical bill stuff unfortuntely, (pending payment).. but I used it again in tonights band rehearsal (at LOUD levels) & it sounds SO DARN GOOD!!

i believe I'll be getting another Aviator down the road for sure

To answer the above question..Blackface/Tweed amps are what I have always played. The Quilter fills that niche very nicely. if you throw a compressor/drive/delay in front of it, it really comes alive & has so much headroom. But it sound GREAT at high volumes unlike some solid state amps

HillbillySims,

I have no doubt you'll get another one - your great playing deserves one!!!!

Here's a recent review from Target PC for others that haven't heard it - I think you'll agree with a lot of what he says:

Aviator 2x10 Review (http://targetpc.com/posts/141.html)

Tom the Guitar Guy

Kyle Ashley
06-05-2013, 02:15 PM
HillbillySims,

I have no doubt you'll get another one - your great playing deserves one!!!!

Here's a recent review from Target PC for others that haven't heard it - I think you'll agree with a lot of what he says:

Aviator 2x10 Review (http://targetpc.com/posts/141.html)

Tom the Guitar Guy

wow..what a review! I received shipping confirmation on mine and should see it by the first of the week. Can't wait after reading that! Can it upstage my Bogner Barcelona for small gigs?

A440
06-05-2013, 03:10 PM
heard a rumour that there might be an Aviator head in the works. Well, it was on FB :D

I was planning to sell my cab, now I'm rethinking it :)

JStotes
06-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Open 12 should be delivered today! Can't wait to try it out.

tomtheguitarguy
06-06-2013, 06:52 PM
wow..what a review! I received shipping confirmation on mine and should see it by the first of the week. Can't wait after reading that! Can it upstage my Bogner Barcelona for small gigs?

Kyle,

I've been using the Quilter Aviator Ultralight 8 at all my gigs lately - it's just so dang light and sounds great. And this coming from a Dr. Z guy.

I wouldn't characterize it as "upstaging" your Bogner, more than delivering a great tone without breaking your back.

Wait til you step back from the amp and see how much sound it projects and carries...

A440: Yes, a head version is on the way :) . . .

Hope this helps.

Tom

Kyle Ashley
06-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Kyle,

I've been using the Quilter Aviator Ultralight 8 at all my gigs lately - it's just so dang light and sounds great. And this coming from a Dr. Z guy.

I wouldn't characterize it as "upstaging" your Bogner, more than delivering a great tone without breaking your back.

Wait til you step back from the amp and see how much sound it projects and carries...

A440: Yes, a head version is on the way :) . . .

Hope this helps.

Tom

Thanks Tom - I saw that head version on the Quilter FB. I mentioned that they should eventually sell empty head shells as an accessory so we have even more flexibility with the amps. I was planning on building my own head shell for it if the amp works for me, because I have some gigs where I know I'll be running it with external cabinets.

tomtheguitarguy
06-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks Tom - I saw that head version on the Quilter FB. I mentioned that they should eventually sell empty head shells as an accessory so we have even more flexibility with the amps. I was planning on building my own head shell for it if the amp works for me, because I have some gigs where I know I'll be running it with external cabinets.

I think I "seconded" your idea on their Facebook page. :)

Crazyquilt
06-10-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm hopefully due to go home Wednesday. I can't wait to get back to my Quilter; I've missed it these past 2 weeks.

patentcad
06-10-2013, 10:45 PM
I am now extremely interested in the Aviator. The features and price are right for me. An in depth review or two would be awesome.

Ditto. Wish I could play one. You guys need more dealers to carry the line. I'm sure that will come with time. Seems like a quality product. I'd love to get a solid state amp that has a warm tube tone. I prefer EL-34 and EL-84 tube amps, I'm wondering how the 2 x 10 Aviator compares with those.

kebotrans
06-11-2013, 12:31 AM
I am loving my 2x10. I was impressed and it still love it. It's light and has tons of punch! Volume is massive and it's lightweight. It is a great launching pad for pedals and does not ever start to fade like the old solid state days. I think Quilter has developed a great product here. I even like the click knobs they use. If I had to say my favorite things about it are the low end and punch. It has that percussive push that I love to hear. The lead channel is very plexi to me which is fine because channel 1 loves any pedal (distortion) you throw at it!!

patentcad
07-01-2013, 02:37 PM
All this is killing me. I should just order it, with that money back guarantee sounds like a no brainer. Talked to them on the phone today. They sound like a very high quality kind of small firm, the kind that you'd like to deal with.

QuilterLabs
07-01-2013, 03:36 PM
We are working on dealers... (Getting ready for NAMM as I type...)
In the meantime we do have a 30 day money back guarantee and we pay shipping both ways. You really can't go wrong. I will see to it personally. (and I am the CEO.)

patentcad
07-01-2013, 04:02 PM
We are working on dealers... (Getting ready for NAMM as I type...)
In the meantime we do have a 30 day money back guarantee and we pay shipping both ways. You really can't go wrong. I will see to it personally. (and I am the CEO.)

Get Phil from Alto in Middletown, NY to carry your stuff. Alto also has quality stores in Airmont and Wappingers Falls, NY. The kind of quality independent retailer you want carrying your line.

QuilterLabs
07-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Believe it or not Jon Haber is a friend of mine. (Chris Parks here by the way.) We are planning to talk at NAMM. You never know. Put in a good word for us. I am headed to New York after NAMM. Any other suggestions of who I should talk to?

patentcad
07-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Call Phil Keller in the Middletown, NY store, he runs the high end guitar/amp boutique there, tell him you know Jon Haber and see if you can get any traction with him. I get the feeling if Phil wanted your product in the store you'd get your foot in there.

Crazyquilt
07-01-2013, 10:37 PM
I can't speak highly enough of Chris's service (and Quilter's in general.) I now have 2 MP200 Ultralights running in stereo, and I am in the kind of tone heaven I've only dreamed of previously. I'm currently listening to a recording I did using my JJ Shorthorn & modded Gretsch Black Panther into the 2 Q's with a Boomerang III & M13 in the loop. Best part: All I had to do was plug a pair of XLRs into my recording interface, and run straight into Garageband, for bone easy recording that sounds as good as anything I've ever recorded (for whatever THAT's worth. ;) )

guitrr
07-02-2013, 04:07 PM
My MicroPro (1x8") has enjoyed an exclusive role for nearly two months now. I say exclusive because I have yet to plug in a tube amp since I got the Quilter, and I've got three very fine boutique, handbuilt tube amps.

I put up a brief review of my initial impressions on the Quilter Forum, but I'll try to summarize it here, albeit with the additional benefit of a few more weeks of use, including several more gigs. If any of you read my review there (Kaneverb is my moniker there), I apologize for any redundancy.

I went with the MicroPro over the Aviator because I wanted the ability to play a solo gig without any sort of PA. The additional effects are nice, but I could live without them. Having said that, I will add this: in half a dozen gigs since I got the amp, only once have I used a pedal other than the 6 button controller I got with the amp. And that was because it was a solo gig, and I wanted a looper.

The amp is versatile, but for me its strength lies in the 6V6/tweed/brownface world; it does that family of tones extremely well. Beyond that, Blackface, no problem; Marshall, pretty decent; Vox, no, not there. My main amp for over ten years has been a Swart AST, which most on this forum know is a first rate amp. The Quilter does everything the Swart does, with the possible exception of a subtle trem (the MP does not have an intensity control on the trem). What's truly amazing is the Quilter does all that just as well, with a smaller footprint and ten pounds less weight! It truly does sound like a tube amp, and reacts like a tube amp.

I love playing surf, and am in fact currently forming a surf band. The QP rocks the surf, let me tell ya'! The reverb is outstanding, and gets that over the top surf type reverb tank sound with no problem. I wound up buying the Quilter matching 1x12 combo - as loud as the Quilter can get, I wanted to be sure I had enough clean headroom - you know surf music can get pretty loud, especially outdoors! That cab makes an already big sound positively huge.

For those of you who asked about Rockabilly and the Quilter, my Gretsch sounds incredible through the amp. I'm attaching a pic from a solo gig I played last week:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/guitrr/Gigs/FrontPorchFriday_zps3c4f15d3.jpg

HillbillySims
07-05-2013, 09:26 AM
I ended up having to sell my Aviator 12 due to some financial issues... I cant wait to get my hands on another one down the road... I am missing that amp badly. Its so light & just sounds so darn good. I had upgraded my speaker to one of the new high power neo speakers as well.

Glad it went to a TGP'r though. Hopefully he can chime in with his own reviews after taking it to the 1st gig last night.

Customer service of Quilter is 100% top notch too. The only other amp or fx manufacturer I have dealt with that had truly killer customer service was Jaime at 3rd Power Amplification... Other amp companies could learn from Quilter & 3rd Power.. quality products, & great customer service make you want to be a continued customer.

Faraday
07-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Cool to hear about a product that seems to be very good (the YouTubes seem to be gone, so I can't hear one) from a guy who seems to be expert and nice. Can anyone try again to post some sounds? I'm interested in both Blackface and Tweed tones. A little Vox would be a bonus. Not much interested in metal or high gain. Thanks.

MartinPiana
07-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Cool to hear about a product that seems to be very good (the YouTubes seem to be gone, so I can't hear one) from a guy who seems to be expert and nice. Can anyone try again to post some sounds? I'm interested in both Blackface and Tweed tones. A little Vox would be a bonus. Not much interested in metal or high gain. Thanks.

I'm seeing at least some of them on the Quilter site. Go to the thumbnails at the bottom of the linked page, for starters, then poke around on other pages.

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/aviator

Crazyquilt
07-09-2013, 08:58 PM
I've got a bunch of clips, and can upload/make more. I've been using my MP200s to record exclusively for the past three-four weeks. I've been happy with the results, and really enjoy the ease of recording with them, and not having to worry about mics. I'm not a "typical" TGPer, but here's what I got.

All these are live & direct -- from the MP to an RME Babyface to Garageband. I used a Boomerang III in the FX loop, as well as an M13 for delay & mod fx. All OD, trem & reverb are from the amp.

Northern Lights:

https://soundcloud.com/bigblueguitar/northern-lights

JJ Shorthorn (tuned to DADGAD) & Gretsch Black Panther.

Flesh & Blood

https://soundcloud.com/bigblueguitar/flesh-blood-for-rob

I'm pretty sure I did this on my Gretsch Hot Rod.

3am Blues

https://soundcloud.com/bigblueguitar/3am-blues-quilter-micropro-200

This was done on the Hot Rod, and if you go to the song's page, it tells what I did re: use of Boost, Lim, channels, etc. This was a really early recording, and so the levels jump a bit more than I'd prefer, but it does give you an idea of the amp's dynamic range.

Quilter/Cardinal Demo

https://soundcloud.com/bigblueguitar/quilter-cardinal-demo-01

This was, literally, the first thing I recorded with the Quilter. It's hardly deathless, but it does give an idea of the ease with which one can record a pleasing sound. Cardinal East proto into the Q with some M13 delay here & there.

Currently, I'm messing about with my electric reso, stereo slide looping, and looking forwards to getting a JJ Bari to add to the mix tomorrow!

HillbillySims
07-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Not sure if you were talking about my demo. I took it down, because the more I listened to it, the more I felt like it didnt do the amp justice & I was doing a disservice to Quilter by leaving it out there

Cool to hear about a product that seems to be very good (the YouTubes seem to be gone, so I can't hear one) from a guy who seems to be expert and nice.

Faraday
07-10-2013, 09:38 PM
MartinPiana and Crazyquilt - thanks for the links. Hillbilly Sims - that's cool, I get it.

The amps and you both sound good. I am getting tempted.

Who knows a new way of convincing a wife that an amp she's never seen is an old amp? I think mine has started taking pictures or something. She can actually spot a new guitar despite not knowing the difference between a Tele and a lawn mower.

Ben Furman
07-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Who knows a new way of convincing a wife that an amp she's never seen is an old amp?

There is no way to stop a highly developed Wifey Sense from tingling.... Better to confront her directly, even if she rolls her eyes at you.:idea

Crazyquilt
07-11-2013, 08:02 AM
It doesn't require a constant diet of NOS tubes. That's got to be worth something. ;)

commanche
07-21-2013, 01:37 PM

This doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement of your product. It seems the users here have a higher opinion of the Quilter amps than you do, unless I misunderstand this post.
Is this really the purpose of these amps, to keep our tube amps safe and in good condition? I thought the Quilters were supposed to be superior. Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

flatfinger
07-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Interpretation is an inexact science at best. Here's my take...

They aren't the absolute answer to everything

Humility and modesty are great chacter flaws I suppose...:sarcasm

Just a good daily driver to preserve the great tube amps out there.

When you are marketing a product that has as bad a rap as solid stae amps to the guitarist of the world , It's probably wise to give up a litte in order to maintain traction.... I.E.

" OF COURSE were not claiming that we could ever replicate the mystical ,magical mojo that glowing bottles of fairy dust laiden cathodes produce !"

QuilterLabs
07-21-2013, 03:28 PM
This doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement of your product. It seems the users here have a higher opinion of the Quilter amps than you do, unless I misunderstand this post.
Is this really the purpose of these amps, to keep our tube amps safe and in good condition? I thought the Quilters were supposed to be superior. Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Well, "superior" is in all honesty alot to ask of anything. Let's face it, how many times have we seen someone replying on the gear page, "I don't understand how everybody loves "brand x" I tried it and it sounded like crap!" The reality is that there is much complexity to the tone, the guitar, the amp, the effects, and the style and sound someone is trying to achieve. There is no right answer that will apply to everyone and yes, even for us sometimes we have the occasional customer who tries it and it doesn't quite work for them. (That is why we have a 30 day money back guarantee... and we pay to ship it back too.) So for anyone to say that their amp is the best amp ever... well... I would personally cast a bit of skepticism on that.

What we are trying to say comes from a place of honesty. We love tube amps. We collect them. (Really you ought to see Pat's collection of awesome vintage tube amps.) But these are treasured and priceless amps. You will never get another 50's Valco. Those days are gone. They don't exactly make them like that anymore. Tubes are getting harder and harder to come by. So since we do have an honest appreciation for what a great tube amp does why not just say it? We think they are great. If you are a rock star and have roadies and can pay the big bucks for matched NOS tubes, you go! You will have a great sound. Even if you aren't but you can afford a great one, let's be honest, there is a reason we all love tube amps. They grew up with the guitar and they sound great!

That said, they come with their own set of drawbacks and tradeoffs too. If you have a really great one though, and you love and treasure it then why on earth would you want to take it out to the club and put hard road miles on it. I have a vintage AC 30 myself but I wouldn't want to take it to the club and put hard road miles on it. It is a priceless (at least to me) amp that I treasure. That said, I have no problem taking a MicroPro to the gig. I still have great tone and other advantages like portability and lightweight, massive power, flexibility, volume control, consistency, and there's more but I don't want to make an ad out of it. You get the idea.

So it is not meant to be a statement against what we are doing at all, but it is a position of respect. Come on we stand on the shoulder's of giants who had they not pioneered this field we would have nowhere to start. But that's where we started, with the giants of tube amplification and tone. Because of that we have a pretty great tone and then you get other advantages too.

Hope that helps you get where we are coming from. Of course we think our amps are great but we also respect the awesome heritage that we do our best to honor and uphold.

flatfinger
07-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Magical mystical CLASS D MOJO !! , baby :agree

DC1
07-21-2013, 05:27 PM
And, may I say that the new Steelaire model is jaw-dropping good. Crazy! Hope I'm not letting the cat out of the bag here, but it's just amazing.

dc

telephone
07-21-2013, 06:34 PM
And, may I say that the new Steelaire model is jaw-dropping good. Crazy! Hope I'm not letting the cat out of the bag here, but it's just amazing.

Please expand on this.

DC1
07-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Please expand on this.

New model. Sounds fab. I will let Quilter talk about it when they are ready.

dc

Dave Orban
07-21-2013, 06:58 PM
I've personally heard them used for both guitar and harmonica in live settings, and I have to say, they sound pretty damned good!

QuilterLabs
07-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Please expand on this.

This will not be available until late August/early September, and I am only providing the link because folks are asking...

http://www.quilterlabs.com/misc/STEELAIRE.pdf

MartinPiana
07-23-2013, 02:51 PM
The Steelaire looks awesome - happy to see the limiter on there, the main feature of the MicroPro I was missing on the Aviator. Now if Quilter would do a 12", sub- 30-lbs Steelaire....

DC1
07-23-2013, 05:51 PM
The Steelaire looks awesome - happy to see the limiter on there, the main feature of the MicroPro I was missing on the Aviator. Now if Quilter would do a 12", sub- 30-lbs Steelaire....

That speaker is part of the sound.

dc

gwmican
09-08-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm a beginner guitarist, been playing for only a couple of years. I play a G&L Asat Classic S. I saved up some money for a nice amp that will last me a long time. I have pretty much decided on the Quilter Aviator. Unless I get really good, I don't ever see myself gigging. So this is basically going to be a play at home amp. I am torn between the 8", 12", or 2x10". When I am not learning chords, I try to play Country, mosty Waylon, Buck Owens, Hank Jr., Paisley type stuff. I don't own any pedals at the moment, but may purchase a compressor and maybe a delay pedal soon. Do you guys have any opinions on which Quilter would suit me best? I would almost say the 8" right away, but I wouldn't mind having the extra power of the 12 or 2x10, cause I plan to keep this amp for a long time and who knows where I will be on guitar in 5 years. Thanks for any imput you guys have for me. Maybe Chris from Quilter will chime in..... :)

HillbillySims
09-08-2013, 09:00 PM
The Aviator 12 would be perfect for those styles you mentioned. I'd probably choose the Aviator 12 over a Fender Deluxe for any gig with a decent amount of stage volume.

Put a comp in front of it.. instant Honky Tonk bliss

QuilterLabs
09-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Maybe Chris from Quilter will chime in..... :)

I will only chime in to say that due to my respect for the good people pf the forum I will keep sales talk in my email inbox.
Just this Friday evening we finished a "Choosing a Quilter" pdf. Email me and I will send you a copy of it which will help walk you through... and I will give you some good tips on getting started as well.
Email below.
chris@quilterlabs.com

gwmican
09-08-2013, 09:15 PM
I will only chime in to say that due to my respect for the good people pf the forum I will keep sales talk in my email inbox.
Just this Friday evening we finished a "Choosing a Quilter" pdf. Email me and I will send you a copy of it which will help walk you through... and I will give you some good tips on getting started as well.
Email below.
chris@quilterlabs.com

Chris, just replied to you via your email.

J.T.
09-08-2013, 10:06 PM
The Aviator 8 has no problem in a 5 piece rock band . I have yet to turn it past a quarter turn on the volume . I use an amp stand and use the direct out into tne board as well. The amp speaker is my monitor. You can always add an extension of your choice . I am coming from a HRD Half stack

jcalama
09-09-2013, 06:51 AM
I own an 8" aviator and it is awesome! I never turn it up very much at all. Plenty loud and responsive. I have a lovely extension cab with a 12" eminence Tonker in it that I only plug in to get some more low end feel, not really for volume, and most of the times I don't even use it. Can't say enough about this little marvel (and it's so light too!).

Crazyquilt
09-09-2013, 10:33 PM
You absolutely will not lack for power with the 8", and I think your first impulse is the right one. I suspect you will get better low volume performance -- which is what you're going to be using most of the time, it sounds like -- from the 8". You can certainly get the tones you want from the smaller size, and just being a smaller size is, imo, an advantage worth considering for a home use amp.

These are not bedroom amps. Although they sound far better at lower volumes than a comparable tube amp, I have found that the amp really comes into its own with a bit of oomph. If you're not worrying about neighbors, it's no issue. If you live in an apartment, well -- you can get the amp to sound good that quiet, but it won't sound as good as it does with more volume.

I am not trying to dissuade you -- at all! I have 2 MicroPro 8"s and I love them and play them constantly. I think a Q would be great in your situation, as long as you aren't in a seriously volume-controlled environment. Even then, it would be very good, but the temptation to take the amp past the quarter point on the dial will always be there ... taunting .... ;)

BluesWannabe
09-10-2013, 06:42 AM
I bought the Ultralight 8 as well as an empty head shell. The amp head is held by four screws and slides right out. I've used the 8" for band practice and two bar gigs, and then swapped the amp into the shell for one gig to use with a 2x12 cabinet.

As others have said, the Ultralight 8 is loud and you will have no problem with playing in a band setting (our band has two guitars, bass, drums, keyboards and three singers). If you keep playing in five years, you will not need to replace your amp. When i was a new guitarist, I would have been very happy to have an Aviator!

The small size and light weight is fantastic! Good luck with your decision....

Buckeyedog
09-10-2013, 10:01 AM

Just curious about your impressions of the amp.........as you haven't chimed back in on this.

These seem to be killer amps.

Greaser
09-10-2013, 10:56 AM
I bought the Ultralight 8 as well as an empty head shell. The amp head is held by four screws and slides right out. I've used the 8" for band practice and two bar gigs, and then swapped the amp into the shell for one gig to use with a 2x12 cabinet.

As others have said, the Ultralight 8 is loud and you will have no problem with playing in a band setting (our band has two guitars, bass, drums, keyboards and three singers). If you keep playing in five years, you will not need to replace your amp. When i was a new guitarist, I would have been very happy to have an Aviator!

The small size and light weight is fantastic! Good luck with your decision....

After playing it as a head through the 2x12, are you disappointed in the sound when you put it back in the 8" combo cab? I'm thinking about getting one of these sometime, I'm torn between the Ultralight 8 or the head. Sounds like what you've done would be the best of both.

Kyle Ashley
09-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Just curious about your impressions of the amp.........as you haven't chimed back in on this.

These seem to be killer amps.

I did a full review with pics here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1277693&highlight=quilter

although I did buy an empty head cabinet and mostly run the amp these days as a head into either a Forte 3D or a pair of Bogner 112 cubes.

Greaser
09-10-2013, 11:02 AM

although I did buy an empty head cabinet and mostly run the amp these days as a head into either a Forte 3D or a pair of Bogner 112 cubes.

I'll ask you too :) After you run the head through one of those cabs, are you disappointed in the sound when you put it back into the 8" combo?

I'm sure the head+cab setup sounds better, but I think that wouldn't quite as portable as the Ultralight 8 which is a big reason why I'm looking at these amps.

Buckeyedog
09-10-2013, 11:13 AM

Awesome.......great review man. Much appreciated. Funny how things work and how first impressions can change! Glad you are digging it.

Kyle Ashley
09-10-2013, 11:15 AM
I'll ask you too :) After you run the head through one of those cabs, are you disappointed in the sound when you put it back into the 8" combo?

I'm sure the head+cab setup sounds better, but I think that wouldn't quite as portable as the Ultralight 8 which is a big reason why I'm looking at these amps.

Sure, to me it's better through the bigger cabs, but I'm from the 4x12 stack generation, and for the music and gigs I do, 12s are where I'm most comfortable. I like having the option though and do use the original 8" cabinet in my studio and for rehearsal. It gets loud and disperses well, but can't shake a room like a pair of EVM12Ls in Bogner cabs.

I'm really glad to have the Quilter and I gig it every week, but I also still gig my Ecstasys and Barcelona too. What totally convinced me to keep the Aviator was hearing it maxed out through the EVs. Impressive! I'd love to hear it through a pair of good 4x12s one day.

Buckeyedog
09-10-2013, 11:56 AM
You think it would sound good through Greenback inspired speakers?? Would love to run this through my scumback loaded 412.

BluesWannabe
09-11-2013, 06:37 AM
After playing it as a head through the 2x12, are you disappointed in the sound when you put it back in the 8" combo cab? I'm thinking about getting one of these sometime, I'm torn between the Ultralight 8 or the head. Sounds like what you've done would be the best of both.

I wouldn't say disappointed, but there is a real difference! As you can imagine, the 2X12 moves a lot of air and has more low end. But the convenience of the Ultralight for practice and small venues can't be beat.

You could also get the Ultralight and just set it on top of your other cabinet(s). I've done that, too.

I'm very happy with the Aviator. It's not the amp to end all amps - that doesn't exist for me - I have other amps that I love and still use, but in the lightweight category it's at the top for me.

Good luck!

gwmican
09-16-2013, 09:07 PM
I got my Quilter Aviator 12" today. As I said earlier, I am a beginner. To my untrained ear though, this amp sounds GOOD!!! I love the cleans, nice sparkle with my G&L ASAT. Sounds great also at low volume. Channel 2 also sounds awesome, cranked the gain to about 4 and dialed the cut knob to about 3 and got some nice AC/DC tones. This amp is a keeper and is way better than the Mustang III and VOX VT20 I used to own. The Reverb is also very good! I don't see any need for any pedals (right now anyway). I love the classic look, and the workmanship is first class. The Aviator will also get LOUD!!! I am totally satisfied, Thanks Quilter!!!!

voojo
09-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Well I just went ahead and ordered, well, a head! I decided to purchase the Aviator head as I have quite a few different speakers & cabinets, and fortunately I have several higher wattage speakers that I will run the Aviator through.

I'm a big fan of Blackface style cleans as well as more classic overdrive. If I had to pick one band that I consistently love the tones from it would be The Black Crowes. I've also got a small selection of overdrive pedals to try with the Aviator.

I'll post a review and some speaker thoughts when I get some time with the Aviator. Looking forward to taking flight! :rotflmao

Kyle Ashley
09-30-2013, 02:07 PM
I auditioned a lot of speakers in a Forte 1x12 3D cabinet and found the Fane Medusa 150C to be the best with the Aviator for me.

voojo
09-30-2013, 03:21 PM
I auditioned a lot of speakers in a Forte 1x12 3D cabinet and found the Fane Medusa 150C to be the best with the Aviator for me.

I'm glad to hear that, as one of the speakers I have is the Fane Medusa 150 (the non cast (C) version.)

I also happen to have 3 Forted 3D-112 cabs, so I must say your taste is impeccable!

I may get a cab with the cast version too, I'll see how the stamped frame model does.

A few others I plan on trying are a Swamp Thang and a EVM12L as well as an Eminence Legend V128.

sshan25
09-30-2013, 03:58 PM
I have an Aviator 8 and it is more than enougb amp for about 98% of what l currently need for the gigs l do. There are a few times a year l need a little more "oomph". I have an Eminence Tonker Neo lying adound. I think I'll pick up a 1x12 cab to put it in. Would an open back or closed work best?

Kyle Ashley
09-30-2013, 08:13 PM
A few others I plan on trying are a Swamp Thang and a EVM12L as well as an Eminence Legend V128.

I found the EVM12L pretty bright/harsh in the Forte box. NOTHING like they sound in my Bogner cubes or 4x12s. What's cool about the Fane is that it is very similar in base tone to the Classic Lead 80 which is the stock 12" speaker that Quilter is using. The Fane just has a richer tone throughout the freq. spectrum - as in better lows, mids, and highs than the Celestion, while still being EQ'd similarly. To me the Fane is like the offspring of a G12-65 and an EVM12L.

As for what I tried in the Forte it was: EVM12L, Celestion Classic Lead 80, Mesa Black Shadow MC90, Eminence Deltalite II, and the Medusa 150C.

voojo
10-01-2013, 09:49 AM
I have an Aviator 8 and it is more than enougb amp for about 98% of what l currently need for the gigs l do. There are a few times a year l need a little more "oomph". I have an Eminence Tonker Neo lying adound. I think I'll pick up a 1x12 cab to put it in. Would an open back or closed work best?

I'm not sure what you're looking to spend but I'd highly recommend the Forte 3D-112, it seems (to my ears) to combine the best of open and closed backs. You get more punch than an open back but still get the nice room filling sound of an open back. Also it's not as picky as an open back when placed close to the back of a wall.

http://www.fortemusical.com/

I'm not affiliated with them, just a very satisfied customer.

voojo
10-01-2013, 10:03 AM
I found the EVM12L pretty bright/harsh in the Forte box. NOTHING like they sound in my Bogner cubes or 4x12s. What's cool about the Fane is that it is very similar in base tone to the Classic Lead 80 which is the stock 12" speaker that Quilter is using. The Fane just has a richer tone throughout the freq. spectrum - as in better lows, mids, and highs than the Celestion, while still being EQ'd similarly. To me the Fane is like the offspring of a G12-65 and an EVM12L.

As for what I tried in the Forte it was: EVM12L, Celestion Classic Lead 80, Mesa Black Shadow MC90, Eminence Deltalite II, and the Medusa 150C.

Very good information. I have the EVM12L in a Boogafunk Thiele cab, and I kind of have a love hate relationship with it. Sometimes I really like it with my Fender Showman, other times I don't. Plus for the size it's really a heavy beast and awkward to move around.

Before I had even heard of the Aviator I was contemplating getting another Forte with the Medusa 150C as I wanted to try the cast frame version. Now I have an even better excuse! Before I pull the trigger though I'll try it with the stamped frame version, maybe we can compare notes. I think the cast frame is supposed to be a bit tighter, a bit brighter & more mid focused.

gwmican
10-29-2013, 09:34 PM
ttt

gwmican
11-09-2013, 02:43 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/10/vebenyqa.jpg

Love this amp!

HJ46
11-15-2013, 12:48 PM
All of the Aviator series amps including the Deluxe head use the same power section...100 watts per channel

jads57
12-08-2013, 04:42 PM
How does that work 100 watts per channel? Is it actually 200 watts or is just 100 watts and it somehow uses a speaker load on the channel not in use? thanks!

JipThePeople
12-09-2013, 04:51 AM
I am one of the lucky ones who got the Aviator head back in July before they were released. I have now had six months to get familiar with it, both at bedroom and stage volumes and I couldn't be happier with it. I am a guitarist who prefers to get a great clean sound as the foundation of my tone, and then add pedals to get overdrive and any effects.

I play guitar in The Hindenburg Project - https://www.facebook.com/TheHindenburgProject, a Dallas-based Led Zeppelin tribute band. Naturally, I have been using and continue to use a big heavy Marshall head as part of my stage set-up. In fact, I have been running two Marshall heads in stereo to give me a huge sound on stage as well as through the PA.

The Aviator head immediately replaced my 2nd Marshall head and provides excellent tone with more than enough volume for the typical venues we play. I used it recently at an outdoor festival in Arkansas in front of a crowd of 500-700 and it had more than enough volume and great tone.

As the guitarist in a Led Zeppelin tribute, the gig requires me to bring four guitars, a theramin, pedals, heavy cabinets, at least one Marshall head, and so the addition of the Aviator head to replace my 2nd Marshall head, means I have one less heavy, bulky item to carry to and from shows. The tone of the Aviator is killer and it is very pedal-friendly which is very important to me.

I am running it through a Blackstar cab with an Eminence 12" Swamp Thang speaker.

teemuk
12-09-2013, 06:04 AM
How does that work 100 watts per channel? Is it actually 200 watts or is just 100 watts and it somehow uses a speaker load on the channel not in use? thanks!

It's 100W to one speaker output (e.g. internal speaker) and another 100W to the second speaker output (e.g. external speaker cab).

With just one speaker output in use the rated output power is 100 watts.

jads57
12-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Chris at Quilter Labs informed me somehow they are able to simultaneously use 100 watts per channel, and still use a 100 watt rated speaker. WOW, how's that done?

QuilterLabs
12-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Couple of quick responses.
1) Chris at Quilter Labs informed me somehow they are able to simultaneously use 100 watts per channel, and still use a 100 watt rated speaker. WOW, how's that done?
(Actually, it is pretty rare when someone would do that. I can tell you from experience that when you dime the amp out it is pretty darn loud. Two people doing that at the same time would be earsplitting. It is far more likely that one person would use only one channel at a time. i.e. switching from clean to dirty. That said, we have a speaker watchdog circuit that does "sense" when a speaker heats up and impedance begins to drop. When that happens it changes how the amplifier clips. It is very subtle and quite honestly you would be hard pressed to actually hear it. Especially at those kinds of levels. All this said, the final how comes from Celestion who tend to under rate their speakers. We power test the "qualified" speakers we use at very high levels for hours on end to ensure that they do not fail later.) Hope that helps. Of course there is much more devil in the details but we also don't exactly want to post schematics either. (Obviously.) Hope that helps. (Incidentally. Don't get too hung up on the idea of 100 watts or 200 watts. Our amp is actually 400 watts. That is part of the patent pending technology that allows our product to truly behave in the same manner as a tube amp does.
2) Teemuk "It's 100W to one speaker output (e.g. internal speaker) and another 100W to the second speaker output (e.g. external speaker cab)."
First off, "Hi Teemuk! We are a big fan of your many postings and many nice words. You are one of the only folks who recognized Pat as the inventor of the Master volume. You are one sharp fellow!" All that said...
Actually yes, you can get a full 200 watts into one speaker out of only one jack. See above for the info and limitations. (In fact if you use a second, it distributes the power across

Apologies to anyone if I got a little too far into marketing speak. Just trying to answer questions. Thanks so much to all the wonderful people here on TGP. Your nice words have helped our little business grow. We think the world of you.

If you have any questions, you may always feel free to email me directly. chris@quilterlabs.com

-chris parks, CEO

jads57
12-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Well I initially bought the Aviator 8' but realized quickly I'd be much happier w/ the 1x12" combo for my gigging needs. So I went back and traded up the next day and gigged w it the next day. With the little chance I've had to gig so far I'm pleased with it over all. I still need to experiment w/ the settings in both channels for my ideal clean tones. It is definitely different from the clean in the Mesa Boogie Nomad 1x12" combos (55 and 100watt) I've been gigging with for several years now. There is still a quality to real tube amps I have never quite been able to get from solid state amps. It's not that one is better to the other, just a different response playing wise. But the real important factor is no more lugging heavy amps if I don't want to, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marty s Horne
12-24-2013, 12:03 PM
I just got an Aviator with one 12. Playing it at my house, it sounds really good. I'm off until New Year's Eve but then I'm playing 10 out of the next 12 nights so I'm looking forward to seeing how it sounds onstage with the band.

jzucker
01-01-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm looking at getting one as well. What are the big differences between the aviator and the micropro?

QuilterLabs
01-02-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm looking at getting one as well. What are the big differences between the aviator and the micropro?
Here is a link that goes into detail.

http://www.quilterlabs.com/misc/choosingaquilter.pdf
(http://www.quilterlabs.com/misc/choosingaquilter.pdf)

DC1
01-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Also, I think your really need to sit down with them and hear the differences. They're pretty noticeable. My favorite, by quite a ways, is the not-yet-released Steelaire. I hope those are out soon!

dc

Ladera
01-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Here is a link that goes into detail.

http://www.quilterlabs.com/misc/choosingaquilter.pdf
(http://www.quilterlabs.com/misc/choosingaquilter.pdf)

How do the Quilter amps take gain pedals?

Do the amps have the 3D sound of a tube amp?

jads57
01-03-2014, 10:54 AM
I can tell you it' s different than my Mesa Boogie Nomad w/ od pedals. Not in a bad way, but you need to find the settings on either channel that work for your ears!
Again anytime you get a new amp it's a learning curve. I've seen a lot of people hate great amps,, because they are't patient enough!

Ladera
01-03-2014, 11:33 AM
I can tell you it' s different than my Mesa Boogie Nomad w/ od pedals. Not in a bad way, but you need to find the settings on either channel that work for your ears!
Again anytime you get a new amp it's a learning curve. I've seen a lot of people hate great amps,, because they are't patient enough!

jads, describe the tone of the Quilter Aviator? Is it Fendery or what?

Plaid Sabbath
01-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Patiently waiting for an Aviator as we speak. Pulled the trigger on 1/1/14. I'm actually really curious to see/hear how it responds to fuzz and distortion pedals. :dude

Crazyquilt
01-03-2014, 03:02 PM
I have a MicroPro; I would say the *base* tone is blackface Fender, particularly a Deluxe Reverb. I have a lot of reservations about that -- it can do more, and there are things a DR does effortlessly that the Q cannot -- but I think that's sort of the amp's essential inspiration: a small club amp with reverb and trem that excels at clean and mildly overdriven tones, and takes pedals well.

It took me a few weeks to really 'get' the amp. I'm used to simple tube amps, so even having a mid knob was unfamiliar. :D My other favorite amps are a Swart AST, a Clark Beaufort 5E3, and whatever Princeton Reverb I have nearby. It felt more like a PR, but it has its own response that, while tube-like, is its own thing. The Aviator has a lot less gain on tap than the MP200, and the latter never has the sort of touch sensitivity my Clark has, regardless of gain structure. It's got a harder feel, but the absolutely instant response, without the sag I'm used to, has its own pleasures. In fact, I very often leave my MP200's Loud boost on, and control dynamics/OD with fingers & knobs, rather than stepping from a clean to an OD tone. This is especially true when playing my electric reso; the feedback is a lot of fun to play with at various sound levels & tonalities.

That was sort of rambling, I know, but that's as good a stab at the Q's tone as I can manage after 8 months of use & 2 beers. :aok

jads57
01-03-2014, 03:12 PM
I'd say it has a flatter response than my Mesa Boogie Nomads clean tone as a start point.
I'm not saying that in any kind of negative way towards the Aviator 12" I'm gigging later tonight and give you a better report later!

jads57
01-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Okay, I gigged last night w/ the same rig: Benedetto Bambino Std(Manilus PAF's)and a Boss Gt-8 w/ a couple of extra od pedals into the Quilter 1x12" Different room this time.
I'm sticking by my original review. I played through both channels set clean and found both worked just fine. The only other variable was I tried using a Timmy pedal set up to add a little more warmth/grit to emulate a bit more tube type clean vs. pristine clean.
I'm very happy with this amp overall! But it does not feel like the clean on my Mesa/Boogie Nomad combo. But again for a working musician I doubt you'll find a better alternative to what it offers power/weight/tone wise.

jzucker
01-04-2014, 03:29 PM
thanks for the update. Should get mine monday or tuesday

aigmeyer
01-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Does the amp have any of the fizz/buzz that is so common when running overdrive/fuzz/distortion pedals into solid state amps, especially on clean?

jzucker
01-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Does the amp have any of the fizz/buzz that is so common when running overdrive/fuzz/distortion pedals into solid state amps, especially on clean?

how is that "so common" ? I haven't experienced that on any SS amp unless running through a full range speaker other than many be roland jc series

sshan25
01-04-2014, 04:40 PM

I agree with Jack. Regardless, the answer is no.