PDA

View Full Version : Ampeg MICRO-VR head

fwguitar
04-15-2013, 08:00 AM
I'm looking for a cheap but good bass amp head. I'ts for basement jams with a band. The Ampeg Micro-VR head seems very good on paper for the price I want to pay.

Has anyone tried it?

Or is there a good alternative?

Lublin
04-15-2013, 08:08 AM
They sound great. If you're after the Ampeg sound, it's a lot of fun.

Since we're on Ampeg, I'd recommend the following amp. It's smaller, lighter, louder, and offers more tone shaping. A no-brainer for just an additional $70.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-pf-500-portaflex-500w-bass-amp-head

fwguitar
04-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. Of course having more flexibility is a plus for me.

What's the Ampeg sound? I don't know much about bass amps.

Lublin
04-15-2013, 08:32 AM
In short: The Ampeg SVT (most rock) and B15 (motown) tube sounds are legendary, and that's what most of their amps offer - even if that sound is achieved with digital processing in its micro-sized heads. They're a great option if you don't want to carry an 80 lb. Ampeg SVT head to gigs.

onemind
04-15-2013, 08:32 AM
I'm seeking the same type of bass amp, good info! Any suggestions for an inexpensive cabinet as well?

Lublin
04-15-2013, 08:36 AM
I'm seeking the same type of bass amp, good info! Any suggestions for an inexpensive cabinet as well?
With a budget in mind, I highly recommend Gallien Krueger Neo cabs. They're light (won't break your back) and have a great, thunderous sound.

Avatar also makes a great Neo (also light) cabinet which can be had for great prices in a used market.

I found my sound in Aguilar products. They're more expensive but I personally find their sound extraordinary.

Lots are up for sale on TalkBass.com classifieds, so taking a peek there is a good idea.

Best of luck to you both.

okie
04-15-2013, 08:55 AM
They sound great. If you're after the Ampeg sound, it's a lot of fun.

Since we're on Ampeg, I'd recommend the following amp. It's smaller, lighter, louder, and offers more tone shaping. A no-brainer for just an additional $70.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-pf-500-portaflex-500w-bass-amp-head

I've got a Micro VR and I would also suggest the above head Lublin mentioned. The Micro VR sounds great but it barely keeps up with a hard hitting drummer.

fwguitar
04-15-2013, 09:03 AM
I've got a Micro VR and I would also suggest the above head Lublin mentioned. The Micro VR sounds great but it barely keeps up with a hard hitting drummer.

So I should change my drummer?

Lublin
04-15-2013, 09:08 AM
So I should change my drummer?
I wish that was a feasible option sometimes.

:)

fwguitar
04-15-2013, 10:45 AM
By doing more research on the web, I found a few more amps that seem good for the price:

Hartke HA-2500
Fender Rumble 350
Warwick Profet 3.2

Anybody tried thoses?

bassestkkm
04-15-2013, 12:19 PM
I had the rumble for a short while. The earlier ones. I hated it really badly. Maybe it was me but I just didn't like the sound it put out. I settled on an Ashdown Mag once I could afford one. Hartke to me is a little more cheap and I honestly 100% can say if I was in today's market I'd buy the Ampeg for tone and volume.

fwguitar
04-15-2013, 12:44 PM
I had the rumble for a short while. The earlier ones. I hated it really badly. Maybe it was me but I just didn't like the sound it put out. I settled on an Ashdown Mag once I could afford one. Hartke to me is a little more cheap and I honestly 100% can say if I was in today's market I'd buy the Ampeg for tone and volume.

Thanks!

Jarrett
04-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Couple of other options:

http://www.music123.com/amplifiers-effects/gallien-krueger-mb500-500w-ultra-light-bass-amp-head

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BX250

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BX500

fwguitar
04-16-2013, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the info. It will probably be the PF-500. I still have to try it.

Now for the cab, I plan to use a bass speaker that was used by a DJ in clubs. I used it as a bass cab before with a drummer and it works fine.

On the back of the speaker, it says 8 ohm, 150W RMS/300W peak.

All the info I have on the PF-500 says 4 ohm. How will that affect the power on that speaker? Will it be louder or quieter? I don't have the old amp I used before on the speaker so I can't check what it was.

Lublin
04-16-2013, 06:34 AM
I'd recommend using a bass cabinet meant for bass guitar as the drivers are designed specifically for that use and will sound optimal.

At 8 ohms the PF500 will be putting out 300 watts. To reap its full 500 watts you'll need a 4 ohm cabinet or two 8 ohm cabinets. Since it's a solid state amp, there are no adverse effects from plugging an 8 ohm speaker into it.

fwguitar
04-16-2013, 06:53 AM
I'd recommend using a bass cabinet meant for bass guitar as the drivers are designed specifically for that use and will sound optimal.

At 8 ohms the PF500 will be putting out 300 watts. To reap its full 500 watts you'll need a 4 ohm cabinet or two 8 ohm cabinets. Since it's a solid state amp, there are no adverse effects from plugging an 8 ohm speaker into it.

Thanks. My big worry was damaging the amp. I'm still gonna use my speaker because as I'm buying a house, I have enough expenses as it is.

Lublin
04-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Thanks. My big worry was damaging the amp. I'm still gonna use my speaker because as I'm buying a house, I have enough expenses as it is.
All good and understood. Congrats on the home purchase!

fwguitar
04-16-2013, 08:56 AM
I also noticed that the PF-500 seems to have a Line Out. As a solid state amp, I could also use it to plug the bass directly in my PA mixer without a cab, right?

Edit: Never mind, I downloaded the user's manual. That thing really does everything I need!!

losergeek
04-16-2013, 11:11 AM
I also noticed that the PF-500 seems to have a Line Out. As a solid state amp, I could also use it to plug the bass directly in my PA mixer without a cab, right?

Edit: Never mind, I downloaded the user's manual. That thing really does everything I need!!

My wife has the pf-500 and we both use it - it's really great. She got a restocked unit for 289$ and it was pristine. She had a custom 2x10 built locally for it.

8raw
04-16-2013, 12:26 PM
If I'm looking at buying a separate head and cab, should I be buying a cab that tolerates MORE power than the amp? For instance, if I buy a 200 watt head would I then buy a 300 watt rated cab? It seems like there should be a little extra room in the speakers.

losergeek
04-17-2013, 11:00 AM
If I'm looking at buying a separate head and cab, should I be buying a cab that tolerates MORE power than the amp? For instance, if I buy a 200 watt head would I then buy a 300 watt rated cab? It seems like there should be a little extra room in the speakers.

Generally yes, you want a cabinet that can handle about 50% more than the amp puts out to be sure. My wife's cabinet is actually rated at exactly the same as the head, but she never runs the master above 4 and knows to keep an eye on the volume. That's just because things start getting considerably more expensive over 500 watts....there's lots of nice cabinets around 300 watts though, so there's no excuse to cut things close there.

8raw
04-17-2013, 03:34 PM
ok perfect I am going that route. The combo plan
just isn"t worlking out.

Thanksl!