PDA

View Full Version : for those who have had both.... Skreddy vs Stomp Under Foot

KillerToanz
04-15-2013, 06:21 PM
I feel the clear winner is Skreddy, plus they don't send me all the update emails.

NewarkWilder
04-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Not a fan of SUF personally, and I love most Skreddys... Though my current favs are my Basic Audio muffs.

SUPERMUFF1
04-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Skreddy!

Both are great but Marc is the master of Big muffs. The sounds and designs of his pedals are just all around awesome... Marc is to big muffs what David Main is to tonebenders.

In my opinion of course.

steelerboy329
04-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Stomp Under Foot when it comes to muff clones.
Skreddy when it comes to a new fuzz design.

succor
04-15-2013, 06:40 PM
I feel the clear winner is Skreddy, plus they don't send me all the update emails.

I've spent a lot of time with both builders' pedals and I agree with you. I wouldn't hold the emails against SUF, though. You can unsubscribe.

lofibrian
04-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Never had a skreddy that was the tone in head. Found it with a SUF VRH. Matt makes a great well priced product that fills whatever muff niche you require.

I've had 5 sufs and 3 skreddys. I don't see a vast difference in quality and detail.

LqdSndDist
04-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Neither is better, they are both good and both different

Marc designs based around certain sounds he wants to capture and SUF (Matt I believe) seems to try to clone the best of the best circuits from the past.

Just depends what your after

Personally of the two, I prefer Skreddy, because I feel his designs take things a step forward and improve upon classic designs. If I personally wanted one of the classics, I'd rather own the real thing, even though Matt's pedals are 99% there if not even better.

zerorez
04-15-2013, 07:22 PM
I remember coming across some old posts recently on a pedal DIY electronics forum when Matt was starting out and asking questions on muff circuits and Marc helped answer them.

I think Marc is a great mentor to others in the pedal building community.

John Lyon's at Basic Audio is another great person who is always helpful and has great knowledge and insight into pedal circuits.

As far as the VS thing is concerned, the best is to try out some pedals from each builder and decide for yourself what suits you the best based on your musical playing style, and if a pedal does not work out then sell it and move on to something else.

guitarslinger21
04-15-2013, 08:22 PM
SUF Civil War + Skreddy Echo = win.

Skreddy pedals are great, but the Muff sound in my head is not what I've heard from Skreddy. SUF has the Muff sound DOWN. I've owned most of the Muff clones out there.

That said, I truly like many Skreddy dirt pedals: Screwdriver, Top Fuel, Lunar Module, Supa Tone, Cognitive Dissonance, etc.

Operaman
04-15-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry to burst some bubbles here, but nobody on the planet knows more about the Big Muff circuit than Matt at Stomp Under Foot. I've had Skreddys, but always ended up getting rid of them. Everything since the Pink Flesh has been just a re-hash, IMHO.

farqs
04-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Skreddy is in a class of his own imo...

wundergussy
04-15-2013, 10:38 PM
Skreddy makes great muff-based fuzzes.
SUF makes great muff replicas.

Depends on what you want. If you want to nail the sound of a specific Floyd solo, go Skreddy. If you have always lusted after a certain muff from a certain year, SUF. I mean, the SUF's are EXACT. If you don't like 'em, go back in time and punch Mike Matthews in the face.

crxshdxmmy
04-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Skreddy.

amphead777
04-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Stomp Under Foot when it comes to muff clones.
Skreddy when it comes to a new fuzz design.
+1 he hit it right on the head. Overall for creativity, not many can touch Skreddy.

wundergussy
04-15-2013, 11:37 PM
+1 he hit it right on the head. Overall for creativity, not many can touch Skreddy.

Really? Seems like Skreddy is always steeped in classic designs. Everything is either a direct Muff or Fuzz Face spin-off. Not saying he isn't great at it, but compared to Fairfield, Fuzzhugger, or others, Skreddy really isn't creating NEW designs. He is just taking the best aspects of old ones and tweaking them to perfection.

amphead777
04-16-2013, 02:13 AM
Really? Seems like Skreddy is always steeped in classic designs. Everything is either a direct Muff or Fuzz Face spin-off. Not saying he isn't great at it, but compared to Fairfield, Fuzzhugger, or others, Skreddy really isn't creating NEW designs. He is just taking the best aspects of old ones and tweaking them to perfection.
I hear where you're coming from. A better answer would have been Paul Trombetta. The OP just asked about Skreddy and SUF however.

wundergussy
04-16-2013, 07:27 AM
I hear where you're coming from. A better answer would have been Paul Trombetta. The OP just asked about Skreddy and SUF however.

Oh for sure; out of the two Skreddy gets the edge for creativity. But, I don't think anoyone has done what Matt has before either (such exact detail for individual muff versions and one-offs).

Sparkfriction
04-16-2013, 07:36 AM
both are great companys imo - Skreddy's stuff is unique and special...

Guitarbrett
04-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Skreddy makes great muff-based fuzzes.
SUF makes great muff replicas.

Depends on what you want. If you want to nail the sound of a specific Floyd solo, go Skreddy. If you have always lusted after a certain muff from a certain year, SUF. I mean, the SUF's are EXACT. If you don't like 'em, go back in time and punch Mike Matthews in the face.

Great answer.

I loved my Pig Mine, especially live, but always wished I could adjust the mids more than the pedal allowed. I also wished for a little more bass and sometimes, a softer attack (though this helped the pedal cut very well). I found I could get very close to the Pig Mine sound with my BYOC Large Beaver (Triangle - great pedal), so I sold it. Then I picked up an SUF Red Menace; continuously variable mids, awesome breakup and overall tone, great interaction between tone and mids controls...This is the modified muff for me. Oh and the new Civil Unrest is great too, with the same flexibility, but with a Russian circuit :dude.

With that said, I think I would dig the P19 even more than the Pig Mine and may end up with one some day.

KillerToanz
04-16-2013, 08:55 PM
The Pig Mine is appropriately colored. I would describe it's sound as black. The P19 is louder and clearer. Its like an OD'd comp. I really like the massive gain from the Pig Mine. If I had more money, my Skreddy habits would be like Pokemon and I'd catch em all.

tradrad
06-24-2013, 10:35 AM

amen!!
even if you think (or HE claims) paul is going for some 'thing', it always ends up uniquely his own. can't ever have enough of his stuff, and they all sound different!
that said....
i've owned/own skreddy's P19, zero, cog dis, mayo, lunar mod, screwdriver....while all brilliant in their own right, the mayo's are all that remain on my board. and lately i'm not feeling it so that may change....would be curious to check out a super creamy SUF for comparison.

krz4fx
06-24-2013, 12:29 PM
I like them both equally. My SUF 73 Ram's Head and Red Menace are awesome...and so are my Skreddy's Pig Mine, Lunar Module and Mayo.