PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Gibson Custom Shop Humbucker L5

Gouxman
05-02-2013, 06:00 PM
What type of humbucker did Gibson put in a 1989 L-5 CES? I've looked at the pickup on the back and it is embossed with
PAT NO 2,737,842.
Is this a '57 Classic, something wound in the CS, or a stock humbucker for that era? Does it have a name?
Thanks, T

Gouxman
05-03-2013, 01:05 AM
"Your '89 had what they were calling '59 Les Paul Reissue pickups at that time, which they used across the line in many Les Pauls and other except for the metal guitars, they'd use Dirty Fingers and some other hotter model pickups. In the early 90's, they started calling them '57 Classics and they put paf stickers on the bottom. Call them whatever you want, they're exactly the same."

rastus
05-03-2013, 08:11 AM
"Your '89 had what they were calling '59 Les Paul Reissue pickups at that time, which they used across the line in many Les Pauls and other except for the metal guitars, they'd use Dirty Fingers and some other hotter model pickups. In the early 90's, they started calling them '57 Classics and they put paf stickers on the bottom. Call them whatever you want, they're exactly the same."

I worked in production at that time. The 57 Classic was in development at that time-not in production as of yet, and while the classic has similar dimensions as the standard set-the materials were of different composition. There were no Dirty Fingers pickups installed in any production guitars at that time, they were not offered, exept as dealer replacement parts. The ceramic pickups that came out that year (500T/496R) were available only from LATE 89 on in the LP Classic, 76 Explorer, and 67 V reissues. The 498T/490R pickups were the standard pickup, and had the stamped patent number baseplate. This is what should be stock in your L5. There was not a pickup designated as "59 Les Paul reissue" at that time. 88 was the last year for the Lawrence designed HB1 "circuit board' pickup. Thus, for the majority of 89, most all humbucker equipped guitars recieved the 498T/490R. Keep in mind, that nomenclature was not in place yet-they were just the standard set of humbuckers. The introduction of the high output, PJ Marx designed ceramics (500T/498R) were the beginning of differentiation between models for Gibson, internally.

I hope this has been of some help