PDA

View Full Version : Digitech ipb-10 Whammy problem

Hgb1960
05-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my Digitech ipb-10! I have contacted support but they are not helpful, to put it mildly...

This is what I wrote them:

"I am using the ipb-10 for a few months now and it's great! I have one problem though and that is with the whammy. It is most of the time unplayable... Sometimes the pitching up (I use only one octave) results in a smooth tone, but most of the time it is a warbling mess. It is difficult to describe it but the sound "shimmers" and "screams" a lot. Point is, it does that not always... I use it on only one song (Marooned - Pink Floyd) and it is supposed to be smooth, but most of the time it's horrible... I think I have firmware version 1.9: on startup it shows: 19. What can be wrong here?"

Their answer: "The whammy in the iPB-10 is meant for use when soloing, when using chords / multiple strings, it will have a warbling effect."

Really...!! I was aware of that!

Their next idea: "The whammy effect will sound better if you use a compressor / distortion with it."

Sure...I have the Whammy in a whole chain of effects, including a compressor and distortion.

I gave them my setup and have never heard from them since...

Moving the Whammy around or removing other effects from the chain does not help.

So, does anyone around here has any idea what can be going on here??
Thanks!
hgb1960

DigiTechRep
05-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Support is right, the Whammy in the iPB-10 is not polyphonic, it is using the old-school monophonic Whammy IV algorithm on the DNA2 chip. The DNA2 is not capable of hosting the new polyphonic Whammy algorithm. This algorithm is known for its glitchyness, there is no way around it.

Hgb1960
05-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Ok, does that mean that the only solution would be a Whammy V?

R2112
05-08-2013, 10:58 AM
HGB1960,

I'm using the Whammy to emulate the sound on The Grateful Dead's "Estimated Prophet" and the effect is great!

I'm a huge Floyd fan too, and am familiar with "Marooned".....perhaps if you posted your exact effects chain + amp settings, we could offer some more constructive suggestions.

DigiTechRep
05-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Agreed, make sure the Whammy is first in the chain so it is seeing only the clean guitar signal. This is critical for that generation of the Whammy algorithm, it will still glitch, but it will be less when first in the chain.

Hgb1960
05-08-2013, 11:37 AM
@R2112:

I am using this setup: "Whammy”, “noise gate”, “3 band equalizer”, “Main squeeze compressor”, “Driven over”,, “Analog delay”, “Hall lexicon reverb”.
Amp: Hi Wattage (gain: about half / amp: full), Cabinet: Fane 4x12
That’s my (sort of) Pink Floyd Marooned setup.

It makes little difference if I put the Whammy in front, in the middle or at the end of the chain. I swapped the “drive over” with a “distortion”, “delay” on or off, “noise gate” on or off and what not.
It makes little diference: 9 out of 10 single notes are sounding warbled, as if a delay with with a 100 repeats a second is on…
I am playing a American Fender Strat over the ipb-10 straight to a pair of headphones.

@DigiTechRep: putting the Whammy first makes just a little difference, but even then the sound is rather horrible...

Thanks for your input @R2112 and @DigiTechRep! It's highly appreciated!!
hgb1960

DigiTechRep
05-08-2013, 12:00 PM
If the Whammy is already first in the chain, then it is tracking as well as it ever will. Changing pedals downstream will not affect its performance.

R2112
05-08-2013, 02:37 PM
OK...I'm not home to try this right now, but the stock tone I use with the Whammy is Bank 9:5 -- Slider. The Whammy pedal is indeed downstream on this patch. Haven't tried to see what the effects of moving it would be.

I don't get the effect you're talking about when I use this patch. Important to mention that I'm using the 4CM through a Marshall JCM900 head on the clean channel with a 4x12 cabinet. So I'm bypassing the amp emulation and letting the Tube Screamer do all the work if I want any distortion.

EDIT: Will listen to "Marooned" on the way home, and see if I can come up with any other suggestions.

Hgb1960
05-09-2013, 05:09 AM
Hi again R2112,
Your remark about the clean channel of your amp did the trick! I turned the gain on the amp to 0 and...smooth Whammy! Don't know why I didn't think of that myself, but hey, I'm just an amateur! Thanks a bunch for your input!! Now I can play Marooned again!
Off topic: as a huge Pink Floyd fan you said you are, have you seen Rogers Waters The Wall show? I did twice and it is really awesome!! In two montns he is visiting the Netherlands again and I'm going for my third show.
If you didn't see it, go if you can. It is really great!!
Thanks again!!

R2112
05-09-2013, 07:45 AM
Hi again R2112,
Your remark about the clean channel of your amp did the trick! I turned the gain on the amp to 0 and...smooth Whammy! Don't know why I didn't think of that myself, but hey, I'm just an amateur! Thanks a bunch for your input!! Now I can play Marooned again!
Off topic: as a huge Pink Floyd fan you said you are, have you seen Rogers Waters The Wall show? I did twice and it is really awesome!! In two montns he is visiting the Netherlands again and I'm going for my third show.
If you didn't see it, go if you can. It is really great!!
Thanks again!!

Glad I could help!

I've found with Gilmour, it's best to start clean and then build from there. You are using the same model amp and cab I am in your chain, and I think those are the closest thing the iPB-10 has to Gilmour's vintage gear.

On top of that, I use the Face Fuzz pedal to throw in the appropriate amount of distortion, and just a smidge of phaser on top (the MX model). No reverb, but rather a delay with one one repeat, set at around 300 ms. Vary according to song.....

As I mentioned earlier, the patch works well for the main riff of "Estimated Prophet," and I definitely start with a clean channel on the amp, then turn up the distortion via the pedal until the sound is just exactly perfect. But, as you found out, its easy for things to get out of control fast.

On "Marooned" specifically: listened to it and I believe I know exactly the sounds you want to use the Whammy for. Honestly, I think all the "sliding" effects in the original song are done with his hand and not a pedal. But I can understand why you'd want to use the Whammy, and if it works for you, so much the better.

I missed the Waters shows here, but came across a bootleg DVD, and it is quite a great performance!

Hgb1960
05-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Hi,
I will try your suggestions about the fuzz face and the others! Always nice to hear someone's input!

About Marooned I tend to disagree with you (not that it matters of course...): at 0:56 he plays the highest D possible, 22 fret high E string, and that is still going 1 octave up. Impossible to bend it up one full octave or slide it up: there is nowhere left to go anymore... has to be a Whammy. He plays Marooned live at the Strat Pack Event in 2004 and you can see hem using a Whammy when he plays it, that is you can see his knee bend up or down in exact the right timing. (in The Blue he uses also a whammy as clearly seen on the dvd).

R2112
05-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Hi,
I will try your suggestions about the fuzz face and the others! Always nice to hear someone's input!

About Marooned I tend to disagree with you (not that it matters of course...): at 0:56 he plays the highest D possible, 22 fret high E string, and that is still going 1 octave up. Impossible to bend it up one full octave or slide it up: there is nowhere left to go anymore... has to be a Whammy. He plays Marooned live at the Strat Pack Event in 2004 and you can see hem using a Whammy when he plays it, that is you can see his knee bend up or down in exact the right timing. (in The Blue he uses also a whammy as clearly seen on the dvd).

OK...cool. Good to know. I didn't know about the 2004 performance. The only live version prior was Oslo '94. I listened to that, and it just didn't sound conclusive to me either way, since it was such a tentative performance. They never did it again after that. (Aside from the performance you cited, of course).

Hgb1960
05-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/LxL_3poZVAc

Best regards

http://youtu.be/LxL_3poZVAc