PDA

View Full Version : Best budget modern metal amp?

TaDaMz
05-15-2013, 06:37 PM
I am kinda new to the world of tube amps. I play any and all styles but and am in search of that perfect modern metal tone.

Recently got a Marshall DSL JCM2000 w/ 1960b cab. I play through the OD1 red channel with gain about halfway up and EQ and presence to taste. I run through a TS type OD as a clean boost (BBE Green Screamer) with either an EMG 81/85 or Gibson 498t/490r. I also have an EQ in the loop. This rig seems to do ANYTHING I want; except metal.

So what I am wondering is... what is the best "budget" modern metal amp? Peavey seems like an affordable brand. Maybe the valveking? Whatever I buy or trade for will be used. Not looking to get rid of the Marshall; just want to be able to get a nice tight mid-scooped modern metal tone. Cheaper the better. Whatever amp I get will be used primarily for metal.

Or... is there any changes to my rig you could suggest? Anyone ever use a DSL for metal?

pat1929
05-15-2013, 07:06 PM
if you like your amp, the best and cheapest route would be to get a pedal /or rackmount preamp to run through your power amp in.
ie, engl 530, mako mak4,etc. or most any AMT legend series 2 pedals.

DonaldDemon
05-15-2013, 07:16 PM
5150 is great for metal and cheap

gixxerrock
05-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Used Peavey 5150 or XXX

germs
05-15-2013, 07:18 PM
If you end up going Peavey, stick to the 5150/6505 series. They're the metal standard.

sixesandsevens
05-15-2013, 07:18 PM
A big factor is speaker cabinet... I bet if you plug that Marshall into a Mesa cab or an Avatar loaded with V30s it's going to sound surprisingly more modern than the 1960b. So I'd consider at least lugging your gear to a shop and A/Bing it with more "modern" amps through some of the same cabinets just to see what you can get from what you have.

Do you have any songs you can point to that have the sound you're looking for?

I suspect most of the early metal was played on Marshalls. Metal has split into a thousand shards since then, many of which have been played on on Mesa (Recto), Peavey (5150/6505), and Orange in recent years... but I'm sure that if you push it hard enough, the DSL can do what you're asking.

I think Fryette makes some awesome amps that can easily do metal. The Deliverance series is probably the cheapest, and if you can deal with a single channel, they're well worth the look.

Good luck on the hunt!

TaDaMz
05-15-2013, 07:45 PM
I have been watching 5150/6505's on my local CL. They seem to always be overpriced. Ive noticed there are many different models though, like 6505+ and 5150 II. Whats the difference in these models and which is the best? Which could be had for the least $$$?

LPMojoGL
05-15-2013, 10:25 PM
I recently picked up an MI Audio Megalith pedal.
It turns my classic Marshally amp into a modern metal amp.
Kinda pricey at $250, but is cheaper than any decent amp, and will turn that DSL into a metal machine. I think you can return it to somewhere like ProGuitarShop if you buy it from them and it ends up not working out for you.

tele_jas
05-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Used Peavey 5150 or XXX

This... Or the pedal route.... Add a Wampler Triple Wreck.

forum_crawler
05-16-2013, 01:38 AM
What is your budget?
How much amp do you want to get?

mesa/kramer
05-16-2013, 02:37 AM
If you can't get an awesome Metal tone out of a DSL boosted with an 808 and an EQ in the loop, your doing something very wrong, or the amp is busted.

The Peavey Valveking would be a major "downgrade"

The best budget Metal amp of all time is the Peavey 5150/6505,
Cheap used.

boogieplaya
05-16-2013, 03:24 AM
If you can't get an awesome Metal tone out of a DSL boosted with an 808 and an EQ in the loop, your doing something very wrong, or the amp is busted

The Peavey Valveking would be a major "downgrade"..

Totally agree

themightyjay
05-16-2013, 03:34 AM
^^^ +1 I'm afraid.

It could just be that the DSL isn't to your particular taste but it should certainly do metal, especially boosted with EMG's.

If you do want a new and want a tight tone amp skip the Valveking and get a 5150/6505. The II/+ versions have separate EQ on each channel and sound slightly less aggressive (but still have more than enough gain).

nofearfactor
05-16-2013, 04:36 AM
I have been watching 5150/6505's on my local CL. They seem to always be overpriced. Ive noticed there are many different models though, like 6505+ and 5150 II. Whats the difference in these models and which is the best? Which could be had for the least $$$?

Besides my 2 Mesa's, a Dual and a MKIV, and the old Marshall JCM800/2203 I started out with at 16, all Ive ever used in my band work playing metal and hardcore has been Peavey 5150s and 6505s. They sound great for metal, take pedals well, are almost bullet proof for road use, and are cheap enough to buy a bunch of or find replacements when you need one. I have never found any difference in the sound of 6505 heads or any of my old 5150 heads, if I use the same tubes, and I do- JJs from Eurotubes. I can tame their noticeable hiss with an ISP Decimator noise reduction pedal (it isnt a gate). Besides sounding great for metal the best part is that the amps are fairly inexpensive and there are alot of them out there used. You shouldnt pay more than $6-650 for an in great to better than good condition 5150 EVH block letter model or more than $700 for an Eddie Van Halen signature model, and thats with new or at least still good tubes and maybe even a bias mod added. I have found a few 5150 heads lately for $500 or so from bands changing out their road gear, so theyre out there you just have to look around for them. 6505s are just as good sounding and can be had for pretty cheap too. I use both plus their combo models.

The 6505, head or 60watt 2x12 combo version, is the same amp as the original 5150 (signature or block letter), head or 2x12 combo models. The 6505+ , in head or 1x12 60watt combo version, is the same amp as the regular 6505, original 5150, or 5150II- it just has an extra preamp tube, seperate EQ controls on the amp for the clean and dirty channels, only one input, and its footswitch is the 3 button 7pin type instead of the 2 button stereo cable pedals like all the others use.
The 5150II basically is just an older precursor version of the 6505+, it came out right about the same time Ed had pulled away from Peavey, then after Ed officially left them they started putting the 5150 out with the new 6505 badging since Ed took the 5150 name with him and also was a way for them to commemorate their 65 years in business, which is why they named the amp 6505. The 6505, 6505+, and 5150II amps all are internally identical to the original 5150, the only difference is the newer amps came from the factory with different tubes than the original 5150s.

The 6505 and 5150 combos do sound slightly different than their head models but plugged into an exterior cabinet and not using the interior speakers really makes them sound alot better. I use them for rehearsals and recording and love their sound as much as I do the head versions.

StompBoxBlues
05-16-2013, 04:41 AM
I'm not very expert on metal, but maybe ore knowledgeable folk could chime in, but the Carvin MTS 3212 I think could do a gret job, and they are inexpensive.

Robbgnarly
05-16-2013, 04:47 AM
^^ The 5150/6505 2x12 is slightly different than the 5150/6505 head and the 5150II/6505+ is different than the 6505+ 1x12.

Another choice besides the 5150 route is look at Jet City JCA 50/100/100hdm. These are budget versions of the Soldano HRA. The 5150 was based off of a Soldano

And I agree I own JCM2000 DSL100 and I run a Bad Monkey and a GFS Greenie (at the same time)as boost's and I can do metal just fine. It also helps to tighten up the lowend

rob2001
05-16-2013, 05:22 AM
I am kinda new to the world of tube amps. I play any and all styles but and am in search of that perfect modern metal tone.

Recently got a Marshall DSL JCM2000 w/ 1960b cab. I play through the OD1 red channel with gain about halfway up and EQ and presence to taste. I run through a TS type OD as a clean boost (BBE Green Screamer) with either an EMG 81/85 or Gibson 498t/490r. I also have an EQ in the loop. This rig seems to do ANYTHING I want; except metal.

So what I am wondering is... what is the best "budget" modern metal amp? Peavey seems like an affordable brand. Maybe the valveking? Whatever I buy or trade for will be used. Not looking to get rid of the Marshall; just want to be able to get a nice tight mid-scooped modern metal tone. Cheaper the better. Whatever amp I get will be used primarily for metal.

Or... is there any changes to my rig you could suggest? Anyone ever use a DSL for metal?

Cheap? Start by trying an EQ pedal.

BPSUL
05-16-2013, 08:23 AM
The precursor to the 5150 was the VTM-60 and VTM-120. They usually can be found for $350 or so but are harder to find.

There are two basic lineages in Peavey metal tube amps. the VTM>5150>6505 and then you have the other line which (don't quote me here) is the Ultra/JSX/?? (cant remember what they call them now) but yea, both of those lines are great. The Ultra/JSX leg seems to be less prominent than the VTM/5150/6505 leg but they are equally loved, even preferred by many who have used both. I've see the Ultra/JSX amps going for pretty cheap prices over the years (500 or less)

*edit - before someone corrects me here. Yes, the Butcher was the precursor to the VTM. So technically its Butcher/VTM/5150/6505. But the Butcher would not be considered a metal amp in my opinion. Hard rock? yes. Metal? no.

Robbgnarly
05-16-2013, 10:46 AM
I never thought of the VTM as a precursor to the 5150, it was the next in line after the Butcher (the butcher was a JCM 800 clone). The 5150 was made for EVH when he left Soldano, and it was made to be very Soldano-ish in nature.

But you are right about the Ultra/Jsx, but I think the Ultra was based off of the Triumph (not 100%)

Fu Schnickens
05-16-2013, 08:41 PM
As others have noted, the DSL should be fully capable, especially with EMG's and a boost/overdrive. MANY people use them for metal. Turn the gain up to about 7, turn the mids down to 3 or 4, kick that OD, turn guitar vol to 10, and BANG! Instant metal. You can even have four "channels" if you dial in the OD right.

Clean
Clean + OD
Dirty
Dirty + OD

Other than that, Blackstar and Orange make moderately priced 2 ch. amps with tons of good gain. Dual Terror and HT series. Great reviews on both. I have 'em, I love 'em.

XmasTree
05-16-2013, 08:48 PM
im surprised nobody mentioned Bugera 6260/6262 or 333x

if i needed a 100w metal amp i would buy a Bugera 6262

Robbgnarly
05-16-2013, 09:46 PM
As others have noted, the DSL should be fully capable, especially with EMG's and a boost/overdrive. MANY people use them for metal. Turn the gain up to about 7, turn the mids down to 3 or 4, kick that OD, turn guitar vol to 10, and BANG! Instant metal. You can even have four "channels" if you dial in the OD right.

Clean
Clean + OD
Dirty
Dirty + OD

Other than that, Blackstar and Orange make moderately priced 2 ch. amps with tons of good gain. Dual Terror and HT series. Great reviews on both. I have 'em, I love 'em.
When you have the mids that low, the DSL sounds muffled. I keep my mids 6-7. The Mid shift button sucks also, never use mine, sounds like you put the amp in a closet

jrjones
05-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Wait. You want a mid-scooped tone and you're using a tubescreamer?

^ problem number 1

You're wanting mid-scooped tone and you're using a Marshall, an amp known for really strong mids?

^problem number 2

Having said that, I think there are great high gain tones there in the dsl amps. There were in those I've played. But I don't scoop mids, either.

The jsx is definitely worth mentioning, too. Before I went to an axe-fx a few years ago I had a jsx. It was a killer sounding amp for high gain. I even got to run it dimed through a 412 once. Wow.

Blueser13
05-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Blackstar HT 100 Metal series should do the trick.

Promit
05-22-2013, 03:39 PM
BlackStar, Peavey, Jet City. Those are the cheap ways to get metal. But as others have said, it's not clear that the amp is the problem here at all.

JB6464
05-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Carvin V3
New or used they are pretty cheap and spits metal tones out for breakfast.

theroan
05-22-2013, 08:53 PM
5150 no question.

kombi1976
05-22-2013, 09:02 PM
They aren't cheap (which is kinda beside the point) but if you can save up and get the MI Audio Megalith Beta amp you'll never regret it.
It is a truly awesome amp.
With a conservative 160w on tap it punches out modern tones like no other amp I've ever used.
Personally I'm not keen on the OD sounds because I'm not a modern metal fan, but the clean is massive and it's a brilliant design.
Aussie metal act Parkway Drive have been using them I think.

evildik
05-22-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm not very expert on metal, but maybe ore knowledgeable folk could chime in, but the Carvin MTS 3212 I think could do a gret job, and they are inexpensive.

Had one and loved it. Just too much amp for me. Word on the street is that they come biased very cold and really benefit from a hotter setting, but I never took it that far before I flipped it.

TaDaMz
05-23-2013, 09:10 AM
The guy I got the DSL from said he replaced the tubes last year. They are mullards and electro harmonix. I checked the bias they were at like 70, so I turned it up to about 89. It doesnt sound any different to me... I also tried a different OD pedal instead of the BBE. I tried the Joyo Vintage OD and it does sound a tad better for metal IMO. Have been wanting to try the bad monkey, as thats what every one seems to use for metal with a DSL... But I buy all my pedals used and have never seen one on my local CL. Ebay they go for 35-40 used. May as well buy new for $49.

IMO the marshall gets great high gain tones... But I wouldnt use them for modern metal. They sound too, Marshally... Too bassy and crunchy. No matter how much you tweak the EQ it always sounds too bassy or too trebley... Maybe in a full band mix it would sound great... But just jamming alone it just doesnt sound "metal" to me.

TaDaMz
05-23-2013, 09:11 AM
How do you guys feel about a 6505+ 60W 1x12 combo? Id use it for home recording and jaming with a drumset occasionally.