PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Mojo Hand Crosstown Fuzz?

billyg121
06-03-2013, 02:45 PM
I just picked up a Colossus from Prymaxe and love it! It's got me intrigued to try the Crosstown, as I still consider myself more of a fuzz face guy. The body knob looks interesting. I would love to hear from people who have tried out the Crosstown and how it compared to other fuzz face pedals . Thanks !

Plaidstricken
06-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Stupid good. A lot of gain/sustain on tap. For not being a silicon fuzz guy, I love this pedal.

la noise
06-03-2013, 02:59 PM
I am loving the Colossus, too, Billy! :)

Picked up an Iron Bell last week.

Really enjoying the Mojo Hand Fuzz Buzz at the moment. :aok

billyg121
06-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Yeah this Colossus has really won me over. Just awesome! I have a few other fuzz face type of pedals, and wondering how the Crosstown compares.

hazmat33
06-03-2013, 06:25 PM
I recently picked up a used Crosstown and it works so well in a band mix (due to the body control) it allowed me to sell off my white dot Sunlion and pocket a lot of $$$.

At least for me, it works that well!

amphead777
06-03-2013, 06:37 PM
The Crosstown is an excellent Hybrid Fuzz Face. The body control gives it another dimension, as opposed to the Foxrox Hybrid which I like as well. Mojo Hand is hot, may as well go along for the ride.

la noise
06-03-2013, 07:20 PM
I recently picked up a used Crosstown and it works so well in a band mix (due to the body control) it allowed me to sell off my white dot Sunlion and pocket a lot of $$$.

At least for me, it works that well!

Wow..... offed a Sunlion because the Crosstown is that GOOD????!!!

billyg121
06-03-2013, 07:25 PM
There are so many fuzz faces out there, and the Crosstown seems to have a feature set that stands it out above the rest. I own many fuzz faces. I usually run them into a clean boost TS type of pedal. It helps tighten the bass and chop off some of the flub. It seems at least on paper , the body control really helps shape it to various rigs, pups etc. dammit!! Just when I thought I was done with fuzzes! Lol! Looks like I may need to start saving.😄

chrismellotron
06-03-2013, 08:24 PM
I love my Colossus and I had it cranked earlier, boosted by my Bogner Blue. The Colossus really give my Clyde Wah an incredibly wide sweep. It actually makes my Wah sound better.

billyg121
06-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Cool Chris ! I haven't tried boosting it with the Blue yet. I will give it a go. Does it still stay pretty quiet? Hey Hazmat...I would like to hear how it compared to the Sunlion as well.

chrismellotron
06-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Put the preamp on 'n' for optimum silence. This way, the Blue adds no noise whatsoever to this stack. I didn't realise it had Timmy-like tendencies, with a Mid pot. Blue > Colossus is the way to go. Even my NYC Big Muff sounded pretty good boosted by the Blue. Mojo Hand is definitely on a roll, BIG TIME. The sad thing is, it makes the Blue's boost channel sound dead in comparison.

hazmat33
06-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Hey Hazmat...I would like to hear how it compared to the Sunlion as well.

The Sunlion was amazing, esp when working the gtr vol knob. Great clean up when low, nice drive when dialed back slightly, and ripping solo tone when fully open. All this at home...BUT...at rehearsal and on stage I got lost in the mix a bit. I'm in an original rootsy, bluesy, psyche band and run a Mesa Blue Angel just shy of breakup so I think I have a good platform. The way I got it to cut through was to leave the Beano on all the time on the low setting. It did sound awesome this way and I know this is how some people get their tone (Marc Ford for example).

I can get the same tone or extremely close with just the Crosstown. And I can use my boost independent. I didn't want to have the Sunlion at that price and that pedalboard realestate when the Crosstown was the perfect solution for me.

Again, I know some will get different results. For me, at practice and on a stage is the way I judge any gear. Everything sounds good in my basement.

billyg121
06-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks hazmat!

la noise
06-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Yeah.... what, Billy, said. Thanks, hazmat! :)

la noise
06-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Nice to know the Bogner Blue is good for something, Chris!! <snicker-snicker> ;)

Not much luck here boosting my Fuzzes before. I have had to resort to placing boosts/od's after my fuzzes and muffs.

billyg121
06-03-2013, 10:02 PM
That was pretty much the kind of comparison I was looking for. Not sure how much I would use the tone control, but to be able to dial out some woofiness sounds fantastic!

thekeefus
06-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Crosstown is amazing. I have a Big Green Pi, Custom Muff, JHS Mini Foot Fuzz, and a Hendrix Fizz Face....the Crosstown sees more use than any of them.

hazmat33
06-03-2013, 10:46 PM
I like the BMF Effects Fat Bastard boost before my Crosstown. This allows me to keep my volume turned down a bit so it's not woolly but thickens it up a bit for boosted rhythm parts or solos. Then roll volume full open for all out fuzzy goodness.

billyg121
06-04-2013, 11:48 AM
I have a fat bastard as well . Great boost! I'm sure more of u fuzz heads have tried the crosstown . Chime in if you have.

JP~)
06-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Mine is velcro'd and the only time it comes off the board is to change the battery. The EQ section is brilliant, and it still sounds like a fuzzface. I also have their Taco Bell Muff.

ledzep618
06-04-2013, 12:30 PM
The Crosstown is the only fuzz I've ever had that hasn't left my board after a couple weeks (had it for several months now). I am not a fuzz fanatic, almost gave up on fuzzes completely and despite that the Crosstown just works. My complaint with fuzz is that it tends to get incredibly lost in the band mix because it really doesn't have enough bite, especially Germanium. It's pretty much the opposite of cutting and IMO a lot of players use the wooliness of fuzz to hide ridiculously sloppy playing. I don't like it for my amps to sound like they are farting and I like my leads to sound tight.

The body knob on the Crosstown completely solves that issue. It can get as wooley as any germanium fuzz with the knob all the way on, but as you roll it back it tightens up a lot and brings a lot of gain, cut and attack, making it imminently useable live.

billyg121
06-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Cool! Tanks ledzep! I like the tight lead tone also. It's what I love about the colossus..the ability to tweak the low mids and bass is great.

FromTheBassMent
06-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Count me on the MojoHand bandwagon as well. I am NOT a fuzz face guy, and in fact am not much of a fuzz guy at all. I chose the Iron Bell for soaring lead tones that sound like... well, YOU know. This even though I play Americana/alt-country. But I would be happy to have the Crosstown on my board if I had room (and money). All of the dirt pedals coming out of MH are just ridiculous. Rook Royale is going to be the next big overdrive craze on TGP, I'm guessing.

billyg121
06-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I'm wondering how effective the tone control is? Looks like I just need to wait for a good 15% OFF sale and pull the trigger!

billyg121
06-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Is the body knob on the crosstown kind of like an input bias knob..so you can tame the input level?

Hairpin Turns
06-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Is the body knob on the crosstown kind of like an input bias knob..so you can tame the input level?

the body knob controls the bass, letting you dial in or out more low end (independent of the overall tone control which is another knob).

The Crosstown is awesome!

billyg121
06-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Bump for anymore thoughts before I buy.

geodr
06-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Looking to pick one up, PM me if you have one available. ..

Jatmosphere
06-13-2013, 09:06 AM
So close to pulling the trigger on the Crossroad, but really don't like the YELLOW/purple paint job. Would like to find a purple/black or blue/black. Keeping a eye out for sure.
I currently have a London Fuzz which sounds amazing (much better after a good month of break in time), but the CT sounds like another must have. Love the open boost ability too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dGcRb1g6nM

A-Bone
06-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Not to throw a monkey wrench into things, but have you tried Precription Electronics fuzzes, particularly the Experience or Static?

billyg121
06-13-2013, 10:00 AM
I haven't tried those. To be honest, I really want to done with my fuzz face purchasing. I just thought the Crosstown looked interesting. I will look into it though.

b_rad
06-13-2013, 10:16 AM
So close to pulling the trigger on the Crossroad, but really don't like the YELLOW/purple paint job. Would like to find a purple/black or blue/black. Keeping a eye out for sure.
I currently have a London Fuzz which sounds amazing (much better after a good month of break in time), but the CT sounds like another must have. Love the open boost ability too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dGcRb1g6nM

I have two more blue/black enclosures on the shelf. PM me and I can hook you up.

roots rock
06-13-2013, 10:46 AM
The crosstown fuzz is my favorite among my fuzz pedals (also own a Collasus & Iron Bell, and sold a JHS micro foot). The crosstown covers so much territory and is great for when you don't want to commit to an all out fuzz tone but somewhere in between - although the all out fuzz tones are great. I find the "somewhere in between" fuzz tones work better for what I'm doing (when I need fuzz) so this pedal is best suited to me... and may not be for the OP.

This takes the 1 "fuzz" spot on my board and would be the one I would keep if I needed to sell the others. It also seems to work better with my teles which of late have been my go-to guitars.

billyg121
06-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Cool...so it does reach into Sunface, straight on fuzz territory? A lot of the demos really lean on it being close to overdrive tones. I know I'm probably dissecting this too much, but just want to try to make the right move.

b_rad
06-13-2013, 11:34 AM
With the body knob fully clockwise it's a straight up fuzz face.

billyg121
06-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Cool, thanks Brad. I know I can't go wrong with your pedals. Like I said , I'm ready to end my Fuzz face search. I will report back with a review. Thanks again!

billyg121
06-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Ordering this tonight. Anymore experiences that want to chime in?

la noise
06-17-2013, 12:16 PM
I decided to pick one up as well, Billy. :aok

billyg121
06-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Sweet la noise! Def let us know what you think when you get it!

la noise
06-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Definitely will, Billy. Going to be a good Fuzz-week here at the Ranch! :)

dognmoon
06-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Crosstown fuzz is not going anywhere! I love the Zephyr for user-friendly fuzz tones, and the crosstown is great for a little bit of sharpening and cutting anger when you need it. I'm running the gain at about half, and it just makes the amp sound like it's breaking up nicely. If you add any overdrive in the front, it gets into Bogner drive territory which is cool. If you go to my site (www.TheToneChef.com (http://www.thetonechef.com)) , the most recent post is a video of me using the Crosstown and showing how well it cleans up. It's a great pedal, all around.

billyg121
06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Cool! Thanks for posting that.

danman
06-17-2013, 04:55 PM
You guys are killing me. I've spent a whole week trying to figure out which fuzz I want to pickup, I literally had a colossus in my cart and changed my mind... now I'm stuck. Hybrid like the crosstown? unigue muff like the iron bell? russian like the colossus? ahhh!

...ok I'm better. I'll just jump in, everyone says great things. Hoof it is! :bonk

dognmoon
06-17-2013, 05:07 PM
I think it's interesting how many players qualify their reviews of Mojohand fuzzes by starting with, "I'm not usually a fan of fuzz.."

To me, it goes to show that the Mojohand stuff is able to satisfy the purists, but also convert those with bad fuzz experiences. B_rad is the Fuzz Whisperer, uniting guitar players of all walks of life. :)

Side note, I just bought a BMP-1 from Prymaxe. If it says Mojohand on it, chances are its gonna be great.

la noise
06-17-2013, 05:33 PM
You guys are killing me. I've spent a whole week trying to figure out which fuzz I want to pickup, I literally had a colossus in my cart and changed my mind... now I'm stuck. Hybrid like the crosstown? unigue muff like the iron bell? russian like the colossus? ahhh!

...ok I'm better. I'll just jump in, everyone says great things. Hoof it is! :bonk

Hoof it is!! Can't go wrong there. :)

I was playing the Iron Bell last night and it is an amazing pedal. You asked for a more open and less-compressed Muff? That would be the Iron Bell. I love running it with the gain below 12 o' clock.

Want to keep the Colossus, too.... but other fuzzes are calling my name and I don't play the more aggressive stuff I feel the Colossus shines doing.

billyg121
06-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Hey la noise....same here. I may need to cut the Colossus loose when I order the Crosstown. Listen, I love the Colossus..i just need a fuzz face. Don't really need a muff. I can totally see me buying another Colossus in a couple months though. @ la noise...when are u getting your Crosstown?

la noise
06-17-2013, 06:00 PM
I should have it sometime mid-week, Billy. Wednesday? Thursday?

I REALLY like the Colossus, too. It is a GREAT pedal. I just am realizing that I want to have pedals that are in the vein of the "type" of music I play most often. I felt like the Iron Bell was more suited to my own personal preference and style (not that I have any style, but you know what I mean :)) than the Colossus is. Besides, I have a couple of other pedals that can get close to the Colossus, if I need to. :)

billyg121
06-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Cool. I may even try an iron bell when I revisit a muff.

A-Bone
06-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Cool. I may even try an iron bell when I revisit a muff.

I have been really impressed by the Iron Bell. Not only does it sound great, it is quite versatile.

la noise
06-17-2013, 08:29 PM
^^That is one of the reasons I am keeping it over the Colossus, A-Bone. Really cool pedal that is not your typical Muff.

A-Bone
06-17-2013, 08:31 PM
I like it so much that it makes me think I should look at additional Mojo Hand effects.

billyg121
06-17-2013, 08:45 PM
That's what happened to me a bone. I picked up the Colossus, and was just amazed at the quality, tonal voice of the pedal ,etc. Digging further into mojo hand is going to be fun!

billyg121
06-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Man, la noise... I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on the Crosstown. I know you've had the Colossus, iron bell and getting the Crosstown. All of those factor into my fuzz plan.

la noise
06-17-2013, 09:06 PM
I really enjoy and appreciate how Brad is not just trying to clone specific Muff circuits, but is adding modern enhancements to them in a way that works seamlessly with the traditional elements of a Muff.

If I played more aggressive stuff, more of the time, I would have probably kept the Colossus. I found myself rolling the gain back on the Colossus. I do the same with the Iron Bell now. It just sounds so good. Perfect amount of saturation, clarity, and girth. Yeah, I said girth. ;)

shallbe
08-26-2013, 03:42 PM
I got my Crosstown last week. This may be the perfect fuzz for me. I want something that sounds like a fuzz and OD mixed---replicating the sound of an amp where the tubes are cherry red and about to blow. I love that sound.

Anyway, the Crosstown has me pretty close to that tone. The body control makes it a little deeper & more versatile than a fuzzface, and I like that. It cuts while it breaks up then squashes a bit. Nice.

buzzp
08-26-2013, 03:49 PM
I just got the limited edition BMP-1 muff and is the first muff that I've really really enjoyed playing. I'm going to have to try the crosstown out!

billyg121
08-26-2013, 04:27 PM
the crosstown is a great pedal. soooo easy to dial in(which is not the case for most FF pedals). cuts well and just sounds great!

musica23
08-26-2013, 05:00 PM
It all started for me with the Colossus. Then came the Zephyr...then the Crosstown...then the Iron Bell (2 of 'em!)...then the BMP-1...and next the Pompeii. (I also have a Rook.) IMO, Mojo Hand can't be beat these days when it comes to fuzz, and especially for the price! (I'm missing the One Ton Bee...maybe someday!)

As for the Crosstown, I'm not even much of a FF lover, but this one is great. I have the purple/black one. My only complaint is that it's hard to read the names of the control knobs. I think that might be why the standard color is now yellow/purple. I'll keep my purple sparkly one!

Brad...you're killing me. ;)

MogwaiBoy
08-26-2013, 05:18 PM
I have the Huckleberry V2 which is basically an earlier version of the Crosstown, Fuzzface style blending silicon and germanium...

http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/ekmps/shops/stompbox/images/huckleberry-fuzz-v2-22-p.jpg

And I love it! I was a Big Muff kid for a long, long time but eventually grew tired of the muffled boomy tone with no midrange to cut through with a live band - way too scooped. The Huckleberry is everything I ever wanted in a fuzz - it sounds incredible in a band setting. You can crank the Gain and Juice (Body) and then roll the guitar volume back for a nice gritty lofi OD too, ie: very dynamic and responsive. It has a really fantastic focused tone and stays tight the way I set it.

I'm glad the Huckleberry has the in/output jacks on top too - why did Mojo Hand stop doing that?

L0ki
08-26-2013, 07:56 PM
I got a purple/black Crosstown a couple weeks ago and getting great tones out of it. I'm surprised by how easily it cleans up and how dynamic it is!

musica, where do you think the different Mojo's overlap with the crosstown? I'm thinking of a new muff to compliment this one but don't want too much similarity, if you know what I mean. I'm really tempted by the Pompeii but suspect they have a lot of similar tones that I could get pretty close with this one.

musica23
08-26-2013, 09:59 PM
musica, where do you think the different Mojo's overlap with the crosstown? I'm thinking of a new muff to compliment this one but don't want too much similarity, if you know what I mean. I'm really tempted by the Pompeii but suspect they have a lot of similar tones that I could get pretty close with this one.

I haven't tried my Pompeii yet (got it today), so I can't speak to that one. I guess I'd go with the Iron Bell. It's not exactly a muff, but it's not a FF, either. It's very smooth and full of sustain. I don't hear much overlap (though I've never A/B'd the two). The Bell is sort of a cross between a muff and a distortion IMO. I obviously love it since I actually bought and kept two (one pink, one black/silver)!

For something totally different, the Zephyr or the One Ton Bee would fit the bill. But neither are muffs, so I guess that wouldn't work for you.

I'll be trying my Pompeii tomorrow, so I can post about it afterward if you're interested. Otherwise, I'd definitely give the Iron Bell a try. It's a great pedal whether or not you typically like fuzz, I think, and is close enough to be considered a muff.

L0ki
08-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Please do, I'm really interested in hearing more about Pompeii.

Iron Bell and Hoof always come to mind since I'm thinking of Gilmour leads tonally, thinking the Crosstown is a very tweakable ff and good for Hendrixy/ earlier Gilmour tones and I'd want smooth and creamy (muff) as a compliment to it.

I just looked up Zephyr and have to hear some demos, the Astrotone is interesting, too, but as you said different. Uh-oh I'm slipping down the fuzz hole!

la noise
08-26-2013, 11:15 PM
I haven't tried my Pompeii yet (got it today), so I can't speak to that one. I guess I'd go with the Iron Bell. It's not exactly a muff, but it's not a FF, either. It's very smooth and full of sustain. I don't hear much overlap (though I've never A/B'd the two). The Bell is sort of a cross between a muff and a distortion IMO. I obviously love it since I actually bought and kept two (one pink, one black/silver)!

For something totally different, the Zephyr or the One Ton Bee would fit the bill. But neither are muffs, so I guess that wouldn't work for you.

I'll be trying my Pompeii tomorrow, so I can post about it afterward if you're interested. Otherwise, I'd definitely give the Iron Bell a try. It's a great pedal whether or not you typically like fuzz, I think, and is close enough to be considered a muff.

Damn you, musica!!!!! :peenut

I pre-ordered a Pompeii weeks ago and have still not received a shipment notification. If I read a review of a Pompeii before I receive mine someone is going to need to throw me a line and save my ass. :drown

:D

musica23
08-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Damn you, musica!!!!! :peenut

I pre-ordered a Pompeii weeks ago and have still not received a shipment notification. If I read a review of a Pompeii before I receive mine someone is going to need to throw me a line and save my ass. :drown

Sorry, Dude!

Please do, I'm really interested in hearing more about Pompeii.

Iron Bell and Hoof always come to mind since I'm thinking of Gilmour leads tonally, thinking the Crosstown is a very tweakable ff and good for Hendrixy/ earlier Gilmour tones and I'd want smooth and creamy (muff) as a compliment to it.

I just looked up Zephyr and have to hear some demos, the Astrotone is interesting, too, but as you said different. Uh-oh I'm slipping down the fuzz hole!

OK...I finally played my Pompeii for a short while. And I compared it with the Crosstown, Colossus, Iron Bell, and BMP-1. Here are some of my initial thoughts...

Firstly, I'm using humbuckers into a very clean Blues Jr., so keep that in mind! The Crosstown is not a typical FF IMO. It offers lots more gain than most others and is very tweakable as you said, L0ki. As far as which Mojo Hand muff is most different from the Crosstown, I'd say the Iron Bell, which is also quite versatile. It's smooth and creamy and allows for great harmonics...and sustains for days. Like the Crosstown's uniqueness, it's not a typical muff IMO. But it's definitely a fuzz!

If you're looking for more wooly muff tones, I'd go with either the Colossus (extremely tweakable...4 knobs and a 3-way toggle...I have the original version in copper) or the BMP-1 (unless you just don't like Russian muff tones). Both have loads of bass available and also tons of gain. The Colossus is slightly more versatile, but the BMP-1 is great for a 3-knobber (the Tone control has quite a sweep)...and it's limited production FWIW.

That said, I'm afraid my first impression of the Pompeii is only so-so as compared to the others I've mentioned here. I know this is the wrong thread for that, but it does seem to offer many of the same types of tones as the Crosstown (with HBs, at least) and lacks some gain IMO. I much prefer the BMP-1, but then I love Russian muff tones. First impression, remember...and humbuckers only! (I might write some more about the Pompeii on a more appropriate thread.)

Hope this helps, L0ki! :)

L0ki
08-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks, that does help a lot.

"I'd say the Iron Bell, which is also quite versatile. It's smooth and creamy and allows for great harmonics...and sustains for days."

Iron Bell might be my complimentary pedal, tweakable versatile muff and a tweakable versatile FF!

I'm still getting new things out of the Crosstown, so I'll enjoy that for a while longer.

I hope the Pompeii gets you somewhere, it was probably designed around the strat, maybe?

L0ki
09-20-2013, 09:58 AM
I finally have an Iron Bell on the way to me! Thanks for the comparisons, musica!

musica23
09-20-2013, 12:13 PM
I finally have an Iron Bell on the way to me! Thanks for the comparisons, musica!

Congrats to you, L0ki! I'll be interested to know what you think of it and surprised if you don't love it! :beer

L0ki
09-27-2013, 08:52 AM
I got the Iron Bell a couple days ago and played with it yesterday (for hours--simply couldn't stop).

I wasn't sold on it at first then I figured out settings and turned on the echorec! What a magic combo! :drool

It is so very different than the Crosstown--smooth sustain vs warm n wooly-- exactly what I wanted.

I can finally get some Wall tones. The Crosstown (or SFT or TS) fit my regular playing much better, so I have to adjust to get the best out of the Bell, but what it does it does brilliantly (literally, too, between the PINK paint and the blinding blue led).

Mark Wein
09-27-2013, 08:54 AM
I own two Crosstown fuzzes...one for each rig. Its the only fuzz pedal that I've really gotten along with in a live setting.

musica23
09-27-2013, 10:26 AM
I got the Iron Bell a couple days ago and played with it yesterday (for hours--simply couldn't stop)...

That was my initial experience as well. It's a very inspiring pedal!

It is so very different than the Crosstown--smooth sustain vs warm n wooly-- exactly what I wanted.:agree Glad it seems like it's gonna work for you!

I can finally get some Wall tones. The Crosstown (or SFT or TS) fit my regular playing much better, so I have to adjust to get the best out of the Bell, but what it does it does brilliantly (literally, too, between the PINK paint and the blinding blue led).I'm partial to pink, so that doesn't hurt. But I also have a back-up Bell in black/grey...it sounds just as brilliant! Definitely one of my fave fuzz pedals of all-time! :aok

stormymondays
10-09-2013, 12:22 PM
I just got one! Haven't put it through its paces yet but it seems very promising on an initial listen. I've never had a fuzz pedal as noiseless as this one.

Any favorite settings to try with humbuckers?

MogwaiBoy
10-09-2013, 06:51 PM
I have the earlier Version 2 4-knob Mojo Hand Huckleberry and I run the Gain / Juice (body/girth) dials at maximum - always. The EQ goes between 12 and 3 o'clock.

I then use the guitar's volume and coil-splitting to go between lower gain lofi OD tones.. and massive wall of fuzz. Also it get's squelchy and slightly more gatey if you boost into it.

Coming from using Big Muffs for years, the Huckleberry (Crosstown) has been a revelation in a band context. The midrange and focus of tone just sits so well in a band situation with a bassist, even with thick Siamese Dreamy chords and loads of delay and the bassplayer using a Bass Muff... I'm always present. Never had that with Big Muffs and never had the dynamics either (Big Muff just turned to dull mud with guitar volume rolled off).

So for me it's clearly Fuzzface variant > Big Muff variant.

stormymondays
10-10-2013, 06:46 AM
Well, the reason I bought it is exactly that: I love fuzz but it never works for me in a band context. I'm really looking forward to the next band rehearsal...

monkmiles
11-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Does the Crosstown sound good anywhere the gain is set or is it best at maximum?

billyg121
11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
the crosstown is one of the very few fuzzs that sound really good anywhere on the gain knob. you really have to work to get a bad sound out of it. its great!

MogwaiBoy
11-11-2013, 02:40 PM
I use the Huckleberry V2 at maximum gain and roll off guitar volume for overdrive.

If the Crosstown is anything like the Huckleberry (which it is) I think it really comes alive in the last 3rd of the gain dial sweep, akin to a Fuzz Face.

stormymondays
11-11-2013, 05:03 PM
the crosstown is one of the very few fuzzs that sound really good anywhere on the gain knob. you really have to work to get a bad sound out of it. its great!

I tried and I failed! I thought Tone at max and Body at min would yield a shrill, unusable sound. It sounded really cool actually!

I still use it with the gain maxed because - what's a fuzz for? :) But it sounds good in other positions.

musica23
11-11-2013, 05:59 PM
I still use it with the gain maxed because - what's a fuzz for? :) But it sounds good in other positions.

This pretty well describes how I feel about the Crosstown. :)

dognmoon
11-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I use the gain at about noon normally. It's almost the perfect fuzz.

stormymondays
11-13-2013, 07:20 AM
Ok, can everyone please share some favorite settings? I still haven't decided on mine. One thing worth noting is that the pedal reacts very differently depending on the setting of the body control.

monkmiles
11-17-2013, 07:06 PM
How is the Crosstown at stacking with other pedals? Anyone have any thoughts on how it might stack with a Skreddy Screwdriver specifically? Thinking of trying the Crosstown in a spot right in front of my Screwdriver.

L0ki
11-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Ok, can everyone please share some favorite settings? I still haven't decided on mine. One thing worth noting is that the pedal reacts very differently depending on the setting of the body control.

I was thinking of getting a ge type od then decided to run this with body @ 80-100% and gain about noon, I don't need another pedal! I alternate that with gain maxed and body 80% or so for full fuzz (tone around noon or to taste).

I run it into my SFT or DLSiii and it sounds even better, more full and open. This pedal is my perfect fuzz!

monkmiles
11-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Oh man, I hunted down a brand new purple one.... (from JetCity Music)

....so loving it!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Hw8fx95zong/UpAP-7Ue67I/AAAAAAAAAWc/aHiJazHNr0g/s640/20131122_211549.jpg

b_rad
11-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Awesome. :)