PDA

View Full Version : Scumnico, Celestion Blue or Gold?

btdvox
06-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Trying to figure out what speaker to buy. I have a 2X12 coming in that will have one Greenback in it. What will pair best: Scumnico, Cele Blue or Cele Gold?

Power will be halved I believe in a 2X12 so the Blue is still an option (amps will be Kingsley Tonebaron, Morgan SW50 and AC20 Deluxe, ranging from 10-50 watts attenuated)

mcdes
06-04-2013, 01:01 AM
Celestion Gold for sure....

Cirrus
06-04-2013, 03:00 AM
Only go for a Blue if you know you'll never put more than 30 watts into the 2x12. They are quite conservatively rated but it's an expensive mistake if you do blow it.

vanguard
06-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Celestion Gold for sure....

+1. that blue will probably die young.

Heady Jam Fan
06-04-2013, 06:54 AM
I would go with the Gold.

Alnico is tricky - I find there is a sweet spot in the volume they see. They work great in amps that have a similar sweet spot, but sometimes not as well if under or over powered - which is innevitable in amps with a good MV.

Also, Alnico is really expensive so there is no point in buying a clone of a Celestion Alnico unless you get it used at a good price. Celestion sounds better than most clones IMO and holds it value very well (a new Gold 12 at Avatar is like $250, they sell used for like $220). Although I think I did see that Eminence Red Fangs were a bit cheaper than they used to be... WGS's Blackhawk is the best clone I've played though.

ledzep618
06-04-2013, 07:06 AM
I'll be the first to say that I don't see a Greenback/Alnico pairing being that good. You'll just have a lot of mids, not much low end and a sensitivity difference of 2-3 dB...probably won't even hear the Greenback's contribution from 5 feet away.

Heady Jam Fan
06-04-2013, 07:18 AM
I'll be the first to say that I don't see a Greenback/Alnico pairing being that good. You'll just have a lot of mids, not much low end and a sensitivity difference of 2-3 dB...probably won't even hear the Greenback's contribution from 5 feet away.

Good point about the sensitivity. A G12H30 rather than G12M might work better in that regard. Although, they also sound different...

vanguard
06-04-2013, 07:22 AM

good point on the sensitivity issue. i didn't even think about that.

blackba
06-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Depends on what you want sound wise. If you want chime and are prepared to do the break in work, than go with the celestion alnico gold. If you want a bit smoother speaker, nicer highs and a sensitivity that will better match the greenback, then go with the Scumnico, who offers a full break in service.

I would not consider the Alnico blue since the power handling is not sufficient for all your amps.

jayn
06-04-2013, 08:42 AM
For sensitivity, Scumnico is the best match. But, I think a Scumnico is too similar to the Greenback unless you want more of the same (in which case, just get another Greenback). The Scumnico I have is pretty dark (30W) which works really well in some amps.

If you want to fill out the tone, the Red Fang is a really good choice to extend the highs and lows. Same with G12H30, but both are going to be noticeably louder than the Greenback. Maybe a Heritage G12H30 55 Hz? I haven't actually heard one....just thinking out loud.

drbob1
06-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Didn't the DC30 come with an M25/H30 pairing, and it sounded OK...

908SSP
06-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Scumnico all the way. The blue gets old that overly loud top end doesn't cut it for me. The gold sounds stiff and sterile. The Scumnico sounds like an old silver or blue speaker form the 60s, sweat.

Samsun19
06-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Scumnico all the way. The blue gets old that overly loud top end doesn't cut it for me. The gold sounds stiff and sterile. The Scumnico sounds like an old silver or blue speaker form the 60s, sweat.

+ 1 Scumnico has that Silver magic, from back in the day.

rawkguitarist
06-04-2013, 11:42 AM
I've not heard better speakers than what I have from Scumback. Therefore, if you really want alnico I'd suggest the Scumnico too. Plus, I believe they're less expensive than the Celestion blueish variants.

btdvox
06-04-2013, 11:49 AM
hmm. Now I'm a bit confused.

I should say that my Kingsley 2X12 cab is a Heritage G12H30 and Heritage G12M Greenback. I beleive this has a sensitivity difference too but in my ears its the best sounding cab I've had in awhile.

My goal for this new cab is to have some alnico for my AC20Deluxe that still sounds awesome with a Dumble style amp. Problem is, I don't want to swap out both Greenbacks that are in my Morgan 2X12 for cash reasons.

Rob s
06-04-2013, 12:09 PM
This is obviously very subjective.
With that being said, i am not a fan of the H30's for my use which is in the studio.
I have ended up pulling them out of most of the amps and cabs i had them in.
They seem kinda dark and kinda pulled in the upper mids to me.
I like old greenbacks, V30's and blues.
There is something about how the blues magnet saturates and compresses that is part of the sound.
Perhaps thats what we call the sweet spot.
Greenbacks have a nice compression to them as well but in a different way than the blues.
I am also a fan of the WGS speakers i have tried.
New jensen = bad.
Weber is hit and miss for me.
I like the private jack.
Boom

Jay Filippone
06-04-2013, 03:28 PM
I ahven't heard a Scumnico so I would go with the Gold, only because you could blow the Blue, as others have said. Having owned both, the Blue & Gold are very, very similar. The Gold was modeled after the Blue and is, for all intents and purposes, a higher powered version of the Blue.

btdvox
06-04-2013, 03:40 PM
I ahven't heard a Scumnico so I would go with the Gold, only because you could blow the Blue, as others have said. Having owned both, the Blue & Gold are very, very similar. The Gold was modeled after the Blue and is, for all intents and purposes, a higher powered version of the Blue.

I think I'm going to re think this and spend some more time with the greenbacks.

I'm not really into harsh and shrill highs which is why this will be my first AC style amp. Might go for a Scumnico as the efficiency is the relatively the same. 98 db to 102 db has yo be almost a 20% different in loudness.

earthmud
06-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Scumnicos rule in a vox circuit and the ratings are very close. A blue or gold will over power a GB IMO.

btdvox
06-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Scumnicos rule in a vox circuit and the ratings are very close. A blue or gold will over power a GB IMO.

Question is will a Scumnico pair well with a Greenback?

Scumback Speakers
06-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Question is will a Scumnico pair well with a Greenback?
Yes, it will.

mattymel
06-04-2013, 05:55 PM
I've got a Scumnico paired with a Scumback H55 in my 1974x. The H55 is similar to the G12M (original speakers i had in there) but thicker and creamier, but still with the nice mids. The Scumnico is prob my favorite speaker for British type amps. I like the "shimmer" of Alnico speakers. And it def still performs. Overall, the Scumback speakers just sound BIGGER than the Celestions. But you might as well try the Scumnico first before you decide you need to hear the H55 or H75 too.:Devil advocate.

earthmud
06-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Question is will a Scumnico pair well with a Greenback? That is what I meant by saying the ratings were close. They will pair well together. I had a scumnico mixed with a m75, greenback, and a g12h30. Amp is a JMJ 30. Ultimately I think I'll end up with two scumnico's. Great speaker.

Boytbpc
06-05-2013, 08:24 AM
I've got a Scuminco and and a Blue. The Scuminco has a much nicer mid-range, whereas the Blue is brighter.

ToneSter
07-08-2013, 03:04 PM
I just finished my brain tornado ride from the tone merry-go-round

a C-Gold and an 09' W-1225 -pre rola w/40oz. mag

"for what I like" this beat out the G1230 and SB-H55, I almost did not even try the 1225 because of the spl/db rating (97) -Gold at (100) then the thought............. will take about 15min to switch.

so far have tested in a large ambient room and the studio and both sound big and full.