PDA

View Full Version : Xotic SP Comp -vs- Wampler EGO compressor

HillbillySims
06-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Who's had both?.. tell us how they compare

Ive got a EGO & like it.. but wondering how the SP Comp would compare

JB Eckl
06-12-2013, 07:49 AM
It's a question of pedal board space vs. need for a clean blend, I would say.

HillbillySims
06-12-2013, 09:07 AM
looking for more descriptive comments on the "sound" comparison between the two... keep em coming

SirGilmour
06-12-2013, 09:08 AM
The SP is a "Ross" type comp. Not sure if that helps.

tochiro
06-12-2013, 10:31 AM
I had the Ego and now the Xotic and I prefer the Xotic because it's less noisy, smaller and the compression is more warm and pleasant to my ear. Both are good, we're splitting hairs here. The Xotic is also cheaper.

HillbillySims
06-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Tochiro.. thanks!.. what you told me makes me want to at least give it a try.

B-Nads
06-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I'd go Ego over SP anyday. I play a lot of chicken picking, which is my only use for compression. The SP sounds good, don't get me wrong, but the compression has a wierd, almost rubbery texture to the compression that I couldn't get into at all - it has a feel all its own, so if you like it, you'll love it - if you don't, you'll hate it. The Wampler can be set from a slight to heavy squash, but it is a much more open, natural feeling compression, if that makes sense.

In the end, I went with a Diamond over both, but a Jam Pedals Dan Comp is in my future.

ChampReverb
06-12-2013, 02:05 PM
I like the Ego better than the SP. The Ego sounds more open and full where the SP seems to roll off some highs and lows. The SP is still decent for a small board though.

-bEn r.

theGhost
12-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Inquiring minds want to know more!

I'm particularly interested in the bass response. I have an Ego Comp and love the presence and tightness it adds to the low-end of my clean tone. I also have a BYOC 5-knob comp, but it lacks that same bass response.

Does anybody know how the SP compares to the Ego Comp in this area? Does it have a solid presence on the low-end?

jaymeister
12-23-2013, 02:50 PM
I swapped out my EGO for an SP. I had an early EGO, and it was too bright for my setup. The SP was the sound I wanted right from the start. It is that classic Ross sound with the blend feature. There's more than enough bells and whistles in the little enclosure.

Yes it has a higher noise floor on very extreme settings. If I used a comp in that fashion I might choose something else, but this fits the bill for me.

theGhost
12-23-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm not really a "comp" guy or a chicken picker, so can you elaborate on what you mean by "extreme settings" - do you mean with the comp cranked and the signal really squashed? IF not, what then?

jaymeister
12-23-2013, 03:02 PM
I'm not really a "comp" guy or a chicken picker, so can you elaborate on what you mean by "extreme settings" - do you mean with the comp cranked and the signal really squashed? IF not, what then?

Yeah, extreme for me would be comp on high and blend maxed. It's pretty noisy. Lo and mid settings are both less white noise and about the same as one another.

theGhost
12-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Did you notice any substantial difference in bass presence between the 2?

gear007
12-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Had them both at the same time.
They are based on the same circuit.
They can be dialed in to sound identical.
Both can be noisy when dimed.
Both sound great.
But both (deal breaker for me) make an audible "pop" when engaged when set at high levels of compression.

jaymeister
12-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Did you notice any substantial difference in bass presence between the 2?

I can't recall, sorry. What are you going for specifically? I'm an R&B player and for funky fat rhythms both clean and juicy...the SP does great. Low notes tighten up and give lots of room for the bass player. I liked the EGo too, but way more control than I needed in a compressor pedal.

theGhost
12-23-2013, 03:21 PM
That's helpful. Thanks.

I may just have to get one used and compare them myself to see if it has what I'm looking for. If so - no need for the Wampler considering it also has way more control than I need.

jaymeister
12-23-2013, 03:23 PM
They can be dialed in to sound identical.

And this was the prob with me and the EGo...the sound was in there but I had a hard time dialing it. The SP is pretty plug and play with the identifiable sound I wanted right away...I'm using comp way more now, and for me it came down to simplicity an ease of use at the gig.

cliveluis
12-23-2013, 03:46 PM
this thread has me interested ..but off the tittle..out of sheer interest.. how are sp and ego when compared to the 2 or 4 knob keeley comp...which does not have a clean blend..

Pat Healy
12-23-2013, 03:48 PM
I had the Ego and now the Xotic and I prefer the Xotic because it's less noisy, smaller and the compression is more warm and pleasant to my ear. Both are good, we're splitting hairs here. The Xotic is also cheaper.

This, exactly.