PDA

View Full Version : Bogner Uberschall vs Red! Need help from people who have tried both.

Pao
06-22-2013, 05:18 AM
Hello! I'm really digging the overall voice of the Uberschall but haven't seen enough lead tones from the videos I've seen on YT. I know the gain is a little lower than expected, but maybe someone can give some insight.

I've been debating if I should get an Uberschall because I really like the tone. But the Red seems to be capable of almost anything and has the top row switches which can help adjusting to whatever amp you're playing through and what-not. I'm really liking the Uberschall but is it a bad call?

NOTE: I can't try both pedals before I buy so I really need your opinions. You guys are awesome! I'm learning so much from this forum.

Sherwood
06-22-2013, 06:07 AM
I own all 3 and they´ve replaced all my drive pedals.

First, to your speciffic question: Uberschall sounds more compressed, warmer and the freq spectrum is a little constrained relative to the Red, wich makes it a little difficult to dial in at first. The red is more like "instant gratification". My first impression when trying them at home was that i spent unnecessary money on the Uberschall becouse the red sounded so much more natural. But in the rehearsal room things got A LOT diferent... In the real-world (band rehearsal) situation the Uber finds the right spot on the mix and sounds just right.. and it´s EASIER to dial in than the red in a live band situation. The extended freq spetrum of the red makes it easy to get lost in the mix becouse of the extra lows, while the Uber always sounds concise on the lows. And, regarding the lack of gain on the Uber.. i disagree.. but i must say it only sounds right for me with the boost function alway on (although it´s set at zero.. but when off i feel a lack of headroom).

So, if you´re in a band and can´t have both, i´d get the Uber. But bear in mind that you can have 2 different gain structures with the Red and only one with the Uber.

And, just for your info.. the red sounds very close to a Suhr Riot (wich i also own and love). So, you can save a few quid getting the Uber and a used Riot to cover all basis..

To sum it all:

Red- uncompressed and imediate sounding, aggressive, more high-end and hi-mid enphasis, very biting and amp-like tone at home. Very versatile. Need to cut lows when playing with the band or you´ll get lost in the mix (specially if you do fast runs on the neck pickup).

Uber- Compressed but concise tone. Never loose definition. Less agressive but not less "metal" than the red. More like a one-trick-ponny.. but a very nice one! I think it would be the perfect pedal if bogner put a presence knob on it.

billyg121
06-22-2013, 06:27 AM
So the riot sounds like a hot rodded Marshall ? I need to check that out!

Pao
06-22-2013, 06:59 AM
Thanks for all your help, Sherwood! Now I'm really thinking of getting the Uberschall. I wonder why I don't see enough reviews here on TGP or anywhere else? Is it because of how it was marketed?

How flexible is the Uberschall in terms of style played? Can it do lower gains well? Also, is it as noisy as the Red? I've seen videos of how noisy the Red can get. The Red also seems to have that high sort of fuzz-ish sound when at super high gain, does the Uberschall get that too if, say, boosted with a clean boost or TS style pedal? Or does it stay defined?

ken374
06-22-2013, 08:05 AM
My red and blue are pretty quiet , depends on the amp maybe. Still wanna try the Uber yet:)

Sherwood
06-22-2013, 09:24 AM
On topics.. (let me know if i missed anything)

Pao,

- i don´t think the lack of reviews on the Uber has anything to do w/ the marketing.. i believe it didn´t earn that much success on the forums becouse most of the posters buy gear to play at home. The Uber is a fantastic pedal on a live situation (rehearsal or stage) but as much as i like mine, i must admit, it doesn´t shine at home nor in a store. The Red, on the other hand, sounds terriffic at home. Same thing for the Blue.

Another thing that counts for the Uber´s lack of popularity may be the fact that it takes time to "learn" it´s tone controls. As a devoted owner/user i must say the Treble-Mid-Bass labels looks like a misprint to me. Once you figure out how it really works it gets easyer to find your tone.. The correct sequence should´ve labled Hi-mids - Mid-shift - Sub-lows/comp. And those controls sounds like they´re interactive..wich makes it a nightmare to find your tone until you figure this out.. it takes a little while to understand. I won´t go further becouse it may be out of subject here, but I can explain in detail if you will.

- The Uber can do classic or modern tones, light or heavy gain but it always sound smooth and a little more compressed (on a good way), whereas the Red and the blue sound bitting and open. One thing to mention is the Uber never sounds right for me if the boost is disengaged. Mine is ON all the time, and it puts the right amount of headroom on the tone.. w/ boost off it sounds like (err...) a pedal! Turn the boost on w/ boost volume at zero and it is very amp-like.

- None of my bogners are noisy. I must add that the Red is even quieter than the very similar sounding Suhr Riot on my board (both running at 9v from the same power supply).

- Finally, the Red does get fuzzy if you dial it that way (same thing on the blue), but i can easily get rid of the fuzzyness and get a well defined tone. Again, using the Riot for comparison to the Red, it is the tone of the Red without ever loosing definition. The Uber is always concise and smooth, sometimes too smooth.. but never goes into fuzzy territory.

Boosting an Uber w/ an Overdrive pedal makes it compress, which i don´t like. The best boosting for the Uber results from my clean booster, specially my Suhr Koko. Also, i run my Blue fairly clean (a terriffic plexi clean tone) and when set almost clean it is another EXCELLENT booster for the Uber.

Seriously, i´m very happy w/ all 3 and they replaced Xotic, Suhr, Analogman and Mesa drive pedals on my board. I´m *almost* 100% satisfied.. The closest i ever got.

... i belive a couple of refinements would turn the Uber into a dream pedal for us all.. and a huge market succes. If only i had the chance to custom order a "variation" from bogner..

Pao
06-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Thank you for your help, man! Your answers are very detailed and they're really helping me out. I'm just a little worried that the Uberschall isn't flexible enough (without the switches) that I'd get stuck and get annoyed mixing like most of the other user reviews I've read. From how you describe it, though, it's really what I'm looking for. I'm also afraid that if I take the leap and get the Uber and don't like it, I'd lose so much cash cause the resale value is lower than the red/blue.

I see the dilemma with the knobs and mixing a proper tone. Do you have sound samples I can listen to? The red/blue have enough demos online but for the Bogner it's always super high gain + riffing. Probably what it's meant for, but it doesn't show what else it can do. Plus I'd like to get into the EQ thing you described.

Dang, this is why it's difficult when I can't try pedals before I buy them. But thank you for all your help!

ken374
06-22-2013, 09:36 AM
No fizz here on the red very smooth lead tones, I always have the treble around 1 o clock. It can get bright

Pao
06-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Hey Ken, have you tried recording the red in different amps? Is it the type of pedal that would sound good regardless of whatever you plug it into?

ken374
06-22-2013, 10:06 AM
just my fender

ken374
06-22-2013, 10:07 AM
They prefer 6l6 or el34 higher head room, 2 channel amps

ken374
06-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Oh I first had the red with the Mini Rectifier and I liked the pedal over the amps distortion, It was a bit smoother, little more quieter and lot better lead tones.

Pao
06-22-2013, 10:34 AM
I'm so torn between the two! I think I need more input. But thank you for all your help!!

ken374
06-22-2013, 10:49 AM
red is more like EVH 80's rock and does it well, Uber more modern maybe

ken374
06-22-2013, 10:50 AM
I would go red most people like it, some said the Uber wasnt as good, who knows

ken374
06-22-2013, 10:52 AM
What amp you running? Ryan84 on here has all 3 try to locate him if you can

Pao
06-22-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm worried more about backline amps if they take the pedals well since I always go for pedals that sound good on whatever you plug them into since I'm tired of lugging my amp around. I'll contact that guy!

justnick
06-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Thing about the Uberschall is it won't do a cartoon version of modern metal sounds. It's voiced to create heavy tons that will hold together in a mix and at volume. It's particularly easy to dial in for that purpose. The Red can also do some great high gain sounds but is perhaps less precise a tool for that purpose.

Here's a comparison...

xoHssj6bOEM

shock me
06-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Tried all 3. Didn't care for the Red. Not the sound I have in my head. Been through a ton of overdrives. Blue and Uber are on my board. The Uber is tight and thick, without muddiness and fizziness. Scooped or not. It is versatile. Blues to shred. Quiet pedal.

I agree with a previous response that the Uber with the boost engaged is where this pedal shines!

Pao
06-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Thing about the Uberschall is it won't do a cartoon version of modern metal sounds. It's voiced to create heavy tons that will hold together in a mix and at volume. It's particularly easy to dial in for that purpose. The Red can also do some great high gain sounds but is perhaps less precise a tool for that purpose.

Here's a comparison...

xoHssj6bOEM

Hey, Nick! I actually watched that video of yours a while ago and was about to email you asking about it. How is the Uber with lead tones? I suppose it's now established that the Uber will cut through the mix better with riffs, metal or rock, but how does that affect lead tones?

Pao
06-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Tried all 3. Didn't care for the Red. Not the sound I have in my head. Been through a ton of overdrives. Blue and Uber are on my board. The Uber is tight and thick, without muddiness and fizziness. Scooped or not. It is versatile. Blues to shred. Quiet pedal.

I agree with a previous response that the Uber with the boost engaged is where this pedal shines!

That's great! What in particular about the blue did you like more than the red? Do they overlap in some areas? Do you have some clips of the lead tone for the Uber?

Sherwood
06-22-2013, 01:16 PM
I got excelent results from both fender, vox and marshall amps with the bogner pedals. I even played´em through a solid state peavey once and a marshall valvestate w/ brilliant results (must admit the drive ch on the valvestate sounded better though).

Regarding your decision... If Money is Paramount, get the Red and wait for an opportunity to try the Uber. You won´t loose signifficant $ reselling the Red if you come to the conclusion that you prefer the Uber after your "test-drive". But... remember what i told you: the Uber really shines in a band situation, not at home or at the store.

Just a final word of encouragement.. I now cover all my distortion needs w/ the Uber and an eq pedal. The Uber is set for smooth/classic high-gain and i kick in the eq for scooped/modern stuff. The Red is basically used for leads now.

Ryan84
06-22-2013, 01:29 PM
I own all three Bogner pedals. If you have to pick between the two, go with the Red. The Red has more gain on tap and more options with the 4 switches to alter tone. I've recently picked up two pedals that are more convincing of the heavy tones the Uberschall goes for. The Mesa Throttle Box and MI Audio Megalith Delta IMO pull of heavy metal/hard rock tones better than the Uber. But the Uber is more of a tight dark sound. Not trying to bring up the other two pedals to sell you on them. Just saying it to let you know if that tone is what you want, the other 2 do it better. That's why the Uber is not on my board right now. But still, I have no plans on selling it. Dirt pedals come in all different flavors and I like to have as many options available as I can.

shock me
06-22-2013, 01:37 PM
That's great! What in particular about the blue did you like more than the red? Do they overlap in some areas? Do you have some clips of the lead tone for the Uber?

I will probably get flamed for this, but the Red seemed just like every other OD. It didn't wow me. The blue has that clean KARANG, mild to medium Marshall classic drive, articulate, fatness on high strings. I can achieve ACDC no problem. Use the boost to get early Metallica.... It just nails(to me) old school Marshall like no other pedal.

Pao
06-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Oh, man. Now I'm even MORE confused. If I had money I'd probably go for both but dang. I probably won't regret buying either, but now even the Blue is getting dragged into the picture.

Shock, how low gain is the blue really? From the demos I've seen, it's really variable and most of the time it doesn't sound as saturated. Also, I heard the boost isn't at unity and has annoyed quite a lot of people.

Jazzgear
06-22-2013, 02:22 PM
I've also owned all three Bogner pedals

The Uberschall, contrary to its monicker, is a low gain pedal.

The red is high gain - and sounds >>>>>>>> than the Über

la noise
06-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Aren't there better options than ANY of the Bogners?? Just sayin'. :)

ken374
06-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Maybe should I ask what bands or tones you looking for?

Jazzgear
06-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Oh, man. Now I'm even MORE confused. If I had money I'd probably go for both but dang. I probably won't regret buying either, but now even the Blue is getting dragged into the picture.

Shock, how low gain is the blue really? From the demos I've seen, it's really variable and most of the time it doesn't sound as saturated. Also, I heard the boost isn't at unity and has annoyed quite a lot of people.

Again having owned all 3, the best of them is the Blue for the reason aforementioned by ShockMe

ken374
06-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Could buy from Guitar center and return the ones you dont care for, I saw GC in detroit has the Uber online used.

ken374
06-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Again having owned all 3, the best of them is the Blue for the reason aforementioned by ShockMe
I like the blue most for that marshall/acdc tones to old school cream and what ever. I was playing the amp cranked the other day in plexi mode with my SG,nice highway to hell tone:):JAM
Red has the gain for shredding on the fret board

shock me
06-22-2013, 02:41 PM

When is a boost ever at unity? Of course the signal is going to increase. There's a knob to adjust if you want more or less. The blue can get saturated, but not to the extent of the red.

Yes the Uber is "low gain." That term is deceiving with this pedal. It sounds thick, meaty, articulate making it sound massive. No fizz or can of bees here. Call it what you will. It just sounds great!

Blues is my favorite overdrive. Uber is my favorite distortion.

shock me
06-22-2013, 02:55 PM
On another note, there are so many terms to describe the word "gain." What one term means to someone is something else to another. The OP needs to fill us in on what music tastes.

Pao
06-22-2013, 03:27 PM
I suppose the lead tone will matter to me more since I play fusion, but when I write my own music, I can't help but insert some heavy inspired stuff. I was looking into the Bogner pedals because I figured they could do both and I wouldn't need separate pedals for the lead tones and the riffage.

I apologize since I can't try the pedals myself, if I could, I'd probably just ask you guys for quick opinions and I'd have my own opinion on the pedals as well. I can only rely on videos and reviews, but all the input is awesome and I really appreciate all the help!

I'll cut the Blue out of the picture for now since I already have the low gain section ready. I now seem to be leaning towards the Red mostly for the gain and the flexibility and because I'm still afraid of taking the leap for the Uber. Maybe I should just get the Uber in the future if I have extra cash? From how I gauge it, it's not worth the full price. If I come across a cheap one on eBay, I'll grab it.

Red it is!(?)

shock me
06-22-2013, 03:51 PM
I think the Red is what you are seeking. Go for it!

Sherwood
06-22-2013, 04:38 PM
I think the Red is what you are seeking. Go for it!

LOL
I think exactly the opposite!
But i believe you´d rather play safe and go for the Red now.. You wont regret it.

Pao
06-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Sherwood, I'll still look into the Uberschall when I can! Yeah, I guess I'm playing it safe. Like you said, though, if I don't like the red, I won't have trouble selling it, unlike the Uber->red.

Thank you for all your help!!

shock me
06-22-2013, 06:43 PM
LOL
I think exactly the opposite!
But i believe you´d rather play safe and go for the Red now.. You wont regret it.

Just asking why my comment is funny? OP ruled out blue and leaned towards the red due to his lead playing and tastes.

chrismellotron
06-22-2013, 07:10 PM
I get a nice fluid lead tone from the Blue's Boost channel. The output levels of the Blue's Boost channel is exactly where it should be for live use, no question.