PDA

View Full Version : Quilter Aviator - An eye opening experience

Blindjoedeath
06-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Just spent the day playing my Quilter Aviator 1x12 for the first time. I had heard good things about them but I didn't expect this amp to sound so good. At no time was I aware of playing a solid state amp. The amp is unbelievably warm and clean. And loud! I bought this to replace my Matchless Chieftain, which has become too heavy to drag around. I don't feel like I'm giving up anything with the Quilter. Maybe I'm just in the new amp honeymoon period and am not thinking clearly, but this amp is as good as any I've played. My current amps are the Matchless and several Swarts.

I fingerpick, so I play amps that have nice cleans, detail and warmth. The Quilter nails it. I'm not sure if I'd say they rival my beloved Swarts, but time will tell. Right now, all I'll say is this amp is a keeper. Wow.

Mudder
06-22-2013, 06:54 PM
That's terrific.

Robert H.
06-26-2013, 07:20 AM
+1 on the Quilter Aviator. I've had the 1X12 as well for around 3 weeks. So far drug it to one rehearsal and two gigs. Bought it as a more natural sounding replacement to my Roland Cube 60, which is a terrific little amp. (bulletproof and very easy to haul around) Already sold the Cube to a friend. The Aviator has more clean headroom, does not sound the least bit processed, (as many modeling amps do) and with the master volume you truly can dial in a sound you like and maintain it at any volume level. My main amp is a Fargen modded Fender DRRI. The prettiest, glassiest Fender clean sound I've ever heard. I doubt I will ever take the Deluxe out of my house again. The Aviator sounds nearly as pretty & glassy, has far more clean headroom, and has this unique string-to-string separation on my Telecasters that even the Deluxe doesn't have. Not to mention being lighter, easier to carry, has a DI out, has an effects loop, and (at least theoretically) should be more dependable than a tube amp. (My Deluxe blew a fuse the other day, and required a new rectifier tube) For me, the sweet spot on my Deluxe is between 4-5.5; if I go louder it starts to break up, which is a great sound, but not my personal sound. With the master volume on the Aviator I can "find" my sound at virtually any volume level. A real game changer amp, at least for me.

jlagrassa
06-26-2013, 08:24 AM
nice to see that there are still some SS amps coming out and sound good, I purposely just got away from tube amps and now playing an old 98 transtube Bandit that I think is great!

Congrats on the new amp, I would love to checking out some newer Solid State amps on the market!

bettset
06-26-2013, 10:29 AM
i know they are different ss approaches, but i wonder how the quilter would sound next to a pritchard :munch

Petimar
06-26-2013, 10:33 AM
I'm loving the Quilter MicroPro 8. It has become my main amp.

Kyle Ashley
06-29-2013, 01:12 PM
+1 on the Quilter Aviator. I've had the 1X12 as well for around 3 weeks. So far drug it to one rehearsal and two gigs. Bought it as a more natural sounding replacement to my Roland Cube 60, which is a terrific little amp. (bulletproof and very easy to haul around) Already sold the Cube to a friend. The Aviator has more clean headroom, does not sound the least bit processed, (as many modeling amps do) and with the master volume you truly can dial in a sound you like and maintain it at any volume level. My main amp is a Fargen modded Fender DRRI. The prettiest, glassiest Fender clean sound I've ever heard. I doubt I will ever take the Deluxe out of my house again. The Aviator sounds nearly as pretty & glassy, has far more clean headroom, and has this unique string-to-string separation on my Telecasters that even the Deluxe doesn't have. Not to mention being lighter, easier to carry, has a DI out, has an effects loop, and (at least theoretically) should be more dependable than a tube amp. (My Deluxe blew a fuse the other day, and required a new rectifier tube) For me, the sweet spot on my Deluxe is between 4-5.5; if I go louder it starts to break up, which is a great sound, but not my personal sound. With the master volume on the Aviator I can "find" my sound at virtually any volume level. A real game changer amp, at least for me.

What setting on the Quilter are you using for your glassy, clean tone?

Blindjoedeath
06-29-2013, 08:37 PM
What I'm liking about the Aviator is that it isn't a modeling amp. It's a two channel, master volume and reverb amp. It reminds me of the JC-120. This is a departure for SS amps. Even the Quilter Micropro is more of a modeling amp than the Aviator. The Aviator is very intuitive to use for a guy that's used to playing tube amps.

This is a great sounding, lightweight, affordable amp.

beforetone
06-29-2013, 09:15 PM
i know they are different ss approaches, but i wonder how the quilter would sound next to a pritchard :munchInquiring minds need/want to know!

Dumdeediddle
06-29-2013, 09:20 PM
I've had a few fire starters (Literally -way back) ,but also had 1 or 2 gems.

ES330
06-29-2013, 09:24 PM
How much does it weigh ??

Kyle Ashley
06-30-2013, 04:23 AM
How much does it weigh ??

my 8 weighs about 23 lbs. Live, I run into some EVM cabs though...that's where the monster LOUD is at!

JoeB63
06-30-2013, 08:31 AM
(My Deluxe blew a fuse the other day, and required a new rectifier tube)

No. Your rectifier tube blew, which took out the fuse (as it's supposed to).

ptgold
06-30-2013, 09:24 AM
i know they are different ss approaches, but i wonder how the quilter would sound next to a pritchard :munch

It should compare favorably but isnt this like comparing apples and oranges?

The aviator is a pretty straightforward amp while the Pritchards have multiple channels and voicings. Plus the price difference

bettset
06-30-2013, 03:45 PM
the pritchard has multiple voices. it's still ss tone. eric refers to his as an exotic ss tone. wonder how the tones would compare since the goal is to get the sound near the feel of tubes. eric had many patents that will be expiring in the near future. it'll be fun as companies will use some of his technology......or expand on it :munch

Ugh
06-30-2013, 06:22 PM
How are the overdriven sounds on the Aviator? In my experience, solid state amps can sound great clean, but pale in comparison to (good) tube amps when run dirty.

Crazyquilt
07-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Even the Quilter Micropro is more of a modeling amp than the Aviator.

I've got a pair of MP200 8's. If you go by the literature & videos, the amp seems to be sort of a modeling amp. I guess you can use it that way, but I don't bother. I use my MP's much like Aviators -- except I have the boosts & OD limiter available to further shape the tone. I rarely use the mini/tweed/classic voices; it's far more efficient & effective to set up the mode switch to go between Channel 1 (which is clean, with full EQ available) and Ch 2 set to FullQ. Depending on what I want/need, I set Ch 2 to a fairly rude clean. Then, I can use a Boost and an effective Limiter setting to tweak that core FullQ tone in various ways.

For example, I'm a fingerpicker, as well. Also a Fahey fan. :beer: But anyway -- as good as the amp sounds with just EQ tweaks, having the various boosts is incredibly useful. I combine both the OD Limiter & the Scoop Boost to give me a supernaturally humongous pushed clean tone. The thump for alternating bass is fantastic, and I can trim the top end nicely with the Presence knob to go from almost acoustically airy and detailed to Fender blackface-on-steroids to burnished tweed to mellow jazz. Or, I can use a Loud Boost to get me to Swart or tweed meltdown sounds. Or a Hot boost to get kind of a trashy overdrive/distortion. But the amp always sounds like a Quilter MicroPro. It isn't a chameleon; the changes are more subtle and have as much to do with feel & response as sound.

I hadn't figured any of this out when I ordered my first MP200. In fact, I really wanted the Aviator. But the bright lights & interesting seeming sounds (not to mention Quilter's generous return policy) prompted me to spring for a MP, and I am very, very glad that I did. Although the independent voicings for Ch 1 vs Ch 2 on the Aviator are pretty cool -- I like that mid contour knob on the clean channel. But the flexibility of the MP200 has really won me over, and, although it may be complicated to explain, it works together in an incredibly well thought out fashion that becomes second nature very quickly.

OK. Enough talk. Now I gotta play.

QuilterLabs
07-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Hey, the technology is completely analog. No Modeling at all. (Just wanted to clarify.)

Crazyquilt
07-03-2013, 10:06 AM
That's the simple way to explain what took me several paragraphs to describe last night. :p

Gary Brennan
07-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Mr. Quilter, your website seems to have some problems viewed on an IPad when looking at the amps in detail, is it a flash related thing?

Gary

tomtheguitarguy
07-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Mr. Quilter, your website seems to have some problems viewed on an IPad when looking at the amps in detail, is it a flash related thing?

Gary

Hi Gary,

I just pulled up the Quilter Labs website (www.QuilterLabs.com) on my iPad and I was able to view all the amps - what kind of issues are you having?

Tom

Tone Loco
07-06-2013, 10:13 AM
the pritchard has multiple voices. it's still ss tone. eric refers to his as an exotic ss tone. wonder how the tones would compare since the goal is to get the sound near the feel of tubes. eric had many patents that will be expiring in the near future. it'll be fun as companies will use some of his technology......or expand on it :munch

Patents don't prevent others from using the ideas, they just have to pay for it. Which makes me wonder if any other companies have, and if not why not.

I've never played one but would love to.

Personally the nicest SS amp I've played is an Evans steel guitar amp with a 15" so I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with an an Evans and a Quilter.

Gary Brennan
07-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Hi Gary,

I just pulled up the Quilter Labs website (www.QuilterLabs.com) on my iPad and I was able to view all the amps - what kind of issues are you having?

Tom

Specifically using the detailed specs area, I get incomplete data that is unscrollable, and an "undefined" message appearing below it.

Gb

Ben Furman
07-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Patents don't prevent others from using the ideas, they just have to pay for it. Which makes me wonder if any other companies have, and if not why not.

Eric pursued licensing many years ago but had no takers. It's a very conservative industry.

Personally, I think Yamaha would have been a good fit. Oh well.:dunno

HillbillySims
07-09-2013, 09:35 AM
I've owned both... Evans E200HV.. and the Quilter Aviator.

The clean channel.. quite similar.. although the Quilter has a more Fender Deluxe sound on the clean channel.. the Evans was a fat smooth clean channel with high headroom.. sounded solid state but sounded great.

Aviator has a nice OD channel.

The Aviator was MUCH lighter than the evans.

I like both equally, just for different reasons

Personally the nicest SS amp I've played is an Evans steel guitar amp with a 15" so I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with an an Evans and a Quilter.

patentcad
07-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Hey, the technology is completely analog. No Modeling at all. (Just wanted to clarify.)

I am so tempted. You guys are killing me.

bettset
07-09-2013, 10:41 AM

I've never played one but would love to.

wonder what the cost would be to use technology while still patented. if they haven't........they should be i think by 2017 or so :munch