PDA

View Full Version : Origin Effects SlideRig and Cali76 compressors? Anyone?

A-Bone
06-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Anyone here have any hands on experience with either of these pedals?

They sound fabulous in Pete Thorn's demo, but he makes most things sound pretty fantastic.

http://www.origineffects.com/products.html

chankgeez
06-23-2013, 08:45 PM
I've no experience with 'em. Don't have much experience with compressors in general, but they're something I'm interested.

I've been enjoying listening to this dude's demo:

s90YWspaWus

Why don't you PM him on YouTube and ask him?

A-Bone
06-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Speaking of great demos of the pedals, this is what got me seriously interested in and looking at one of these units:

DGHPVkVdyy4

A-Bone
06-24-2013, 06:44 AM
No one has experience with either of these pedals?

texzy
06-24-2013, 01:02 PM
I just ordered one so I'll report back

chankgeez
06-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Nice, which one d'you get?

A-Bone
06-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Nice, which one d'you get?

Yes, which of the pedals did you order, texzy?

texzy
07-01-2013, 07:29 PM
I got the Sliderig last week
I like it a lot
Clean sustain the best I've encountered

A-Bone
07-01-2013, 07:54 PM
I got the Sliderig last week
I like it a lot
Clean sustain the best I've encountered

Very cool! Thanks for replying.

Seegs
07-02-2013, 12:40 AM
Anyone here have any hands on experience with either of these pedals?

They sound fabulous in Pete Thorn's demo, but he makes most things sound pretty fantastic.

http://www.origineffects.com/products.html

Sorry I just saw this...I ordered the Cali 76 transformer edition shortly after Pete's demo and have had it on my board for about 4 months...since I don't really play slide I didn't even think about the Sliderig...I know it sounds good clean and you don't have to use it with slide but I won't ever really need two levels of compression so the Cali 76 was the one I focsued on from the beginning...plus based on Pete's demo that's the one just sounded better to me...it has not dissapointed me!!

Of couse to get it to sound like Pete's demo you would also need a Jim Kelly amp but since I use a 15 watt Morgan and sometimes a JTM45 style amp I can safely say that it works well with other amps too...

I's a huge pedal and hugely expensive but it has become the heart and soul of my electric and acoustic setups...I run it after Fuzz and OD and it is always on and an essential ingredient of my tone with a tele as it adds sustain not to mention some fatness to the bottom end and sparkle on the top end as well...it just makes my tone stand out and come forward in the mix without altering what I like about my base tone too much...it also cuts off some of the ratiness of EL84's and a Celestion Gold and just makes my tone more consistent and smoother and my tele is just easier to play...

With my 330 and P-90s I use it to boost my Chandler Overdrive into liquid susutain...the guitar has gobs of sustain so it's not needed for the clean tone...

I ran the Cali 76 into a Demeter reverb pedal direct into the board for an acoustic show and listened to an iPhone recording and the tone was to die for...

Also sounds great with bass and for going direct for recording...

I got the transformer version and it cost a nice chunk of change and if I had to do it again I would just get the regular standard version.

In order to use the transformer section you have to run it at 18volts and then it becomes a buffered bypass and I find that adds some high end and hardness to your tone...I prefer running mine at 9V which is automatically true bypass and I find the tone and bypass very neutral and more pleasing than at 18V...plus I never use the extra features that the xfmr version offers...

There are some clips of me noodling and using the Cali 76 with various other pedals on my YT channel at Seegs2 if you're interested...

Chow,
Seegs

Adagietto
07-02-2013, 01:39 AM
There's an Ovni Labs review of the Cali76 here: http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/cali76.shtml

johntoste
07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Oh cheese and Chrysler, those things sound amazing! (always loved Lowell)

But they're large and expensive and I just finished my compressor search, ending with an Okko Coca; small, simple and sweet.

Why do I come here?

Seegs
07-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Oh cheese and Chrysler, those things sound amazing! (always loved Lowell)

But they're large and expensive and I just finished my compressor search, ending with an Okko Coca; small, simple and sweet.

Why do I come here?

That was where I ended up after trying a bunch...the Coca Comp. is a great...great pedal comp. I bought two and then sold one when I dismantled my second PB...it was a mainstay on my board for 2-3 years until I heard Pete's demo...

I waited until the Cali came in and shot it out with the Coca and well...sold the Coca...it cost me 3X what the Coca cost but for me it is worth it...the regular version is about double...

What the Cali does to my tone just brings a smile to my face even after 4 months...

Having said that...I would not hesitate to pick up another Coca Comp for a small board if space were at a premium...

Chow,
Seegs

Rockprocess
07-03-2013, 06:03 AM
I have the Cali76 transformer version and its unbelievably good. I use it about equally with bass and guitar. It has a low end heft it adds (probably due to the transformer) and is ultra smooth. I just tracked bass for a session with it this week. It's become a vital part of my rig.

Also, it works exceptionally well too as a conventional 1176. My tracking engineer and I ran tracks back through it (at line level) and it sounded better than the 1176 plug-ins we had been using.

MikeVB
07-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Has anybody tried non-slide lead playing through the SlideRig pedal?

Would the right side of the SlideRig give you the same basic, sweet, warm full tone that the Cali76 pedal does for a good tele?

A-Bone
07-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the responses. It really does sound like a great unit.

thekeefus
07-10-2013, 05:35 PM
My Cali76 Transformer Version landed today. So very very nice. It's at the beginning of my chain just after fuzz. I had a dedicated buffer there but the transformer is buffering the chain even when the compressor isn't engaged. It just makes everything sound better. I still love my diamond comp...which has a happy home on my acoustic board.

javahut
07-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Has anybody tried non-slide lead playing through the SlideRig pedal?

Would the right side of the SlideRig give you the same basic, sweet, warm full tone that the Cali76 pedal does for a good tele?
Got the TX version coming today. Gonna try it for some tracking this weekend. May try seeing if I can run direct via balanced out, then using the Scuffham amps with Two-Tone PI WoS to inspire me. Still attempting to find a direct solution that inspires me to play like my Dr. Z Maz 18. Getting closer. Hoping this helps.

But to answer the above question... no I don't think the SlideRig can give u the exact same thing through "1 side" as the Cali, exactly. The way it's described on their site, SlideRig has 2 inline comps on all the time (when switched on). Each side controls both series comps simultaneously. The two sides will give you 2 different settings to switch between on the fly.

I debated which to get. I don't play slide, but I luvs me some Tele twang. But I have a Keeley 2 knob for some super squish. Still hoping that the Cali76-TX version can do some pretty good squash when needed... plus be a little more sonically elegant about it, with a little less noise. I'd still like to try the SlideRig at some point, though... to see what it can do for "compression as an effect" and Tele super squish.

Hopefully get to find out 1st hand this weekend some of what the Cali76-TX can do! :D

canuck
08-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Would be extremely curious to hear how the Cali76 compares to the Effectrode PC-2A. I know it's a long shot that someone's tried both, but I'd love to know.

I just got the Effectrode a couple weeks back and am loving it, but have always been curious about these.

chankgeez
08-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Would be extremely curious to hear how the Cali76 compares to the Effectrode PC-2A. I know it's a long shot that someone's tried both, but I'd love to know.

I just got the Effectrode a couple weeks back and am loving it, but have always been curious about these.

Adagietto has already posting this link (and keep in mind that this reviewer is an electric bassist), but he's reviewed both of those:

http://www.ovnilab.com/

TC5
08-13-2013, 04:26 PM

I got both the Cali76 (transformer version) and the Effectrode PC-2A. So far I prefer the Cali for bass and the Effectrode for guitar. The Effectrode seems to add a fair bit of high frequency and cuts lows somewhat when engaged. This is especially obvious when listening to the signal direct in a mixer on headphones. It's been described as transparent by some but I wouldn't call it that because it alters the EQ profile significantly. By comparison the bypass signal ends up sounding rather dull and flat next to the effected signal.

The Cali is super smooth and transparent on bass. Doesn't alter the tone, only makes it tighter and thicker.

canuck
08-13-2013, 04:30 PM
I got both the Cali76 (transformer version) and the Effectrode PC-2A. So far I prefer the Cali for bass and the Effectrode for guitar. The Effectrode seems to add a fair bit of high frequency and cuts lows somewhat when engaged. This is especially obvious when listening to the signal direct in a mixer on headphones. It's been described as transparent by some but I wouldn't call it that because it alters the EQ profile significantly. By comparison the bypass signal ends up sounding rather dull and flat next to the effected signal.

The Cali is super smooth and transparent on bass. Doesn't alter the tone, only makes it tighter and thicker.

Awesome, thanks for that.
I'll stick to the Effectrode then :D
Would still be interested in trying out the Cali76 first hand on guitar though; the tweakability appeals to me.

TC5
08-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Awesome, thanks for that.
I'll stick to the Effectrode then :D
Would still be interested in trying out the Cali76 first hand on guitar though; the tweakability appeals to me.

The Cali certainly works very well for guitar but being so transparent the effect is less noticeable than on the Effectrode, which with it's added brightness tends to "enhance" guitar tones if you will.

I should give credit to the dude at Ovnilab, who's got to be the authority on all things compressor pedal, as my compressor selections were based largely on the info I gathered from his reviews. He's pretty much tried them all!

canuck
08-13-2013, 05:26 PM
I definitely agree that the PC-2A adds something (good) to your overall tone.
I write about my experience with it here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1301852

TC5
08-13-2013, 05:41 PM
I definitely agree that the PC-2A adds something (good) to your overall tone.
I write about my experience with it here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1301852

"compressorless vagrant" hehe. Nice. I too was one of those previously.

Frosty
08-13-2013, 09:16 PM
I would like to know which of these two would have better sustaining qualities. That is what I primarily look for in a compressor.

Seegs
08-14-2013, 02:07 AM
My Cali76 Transformer Version landed today. So very very nice. It's at the beginning of my chain just after fuzz. I had a dedicated buffer there but the transformer is buffering the chain even when the compressor isn't engaged. It just makes everything sound better. I still love my diamond comp...which has a happy home on my acoustic board.

I use mine in a similar way on my electic board...after fuzz and wah and before od/dist etc. I prefer the 9v true bypass tone though as the buffer definitely alters my base tone...not bad I just prefer TB operation...

Have you tried the Cali 76 on your acoustic board?

I did a gig and went direct from the Cali into the board and when I heard an iPhone recording of the gig I was in shock...

Chow,
Seegs

direneed
08-19-2013, 11:52 PM
I just placed an order for a Slide Rig. Had not heard of these pedals before seeing Pete's demo recently. Just happened to coincide with my picking up a slide again for the first time in many years. This might be the first pedal where every demo I've heard just sounds really exceptional, and especially so for a compressor pedal. I do plan to use it a lot for slide stuff, but also expect it will work well for all-around use and even with an acoustic.

direneed
08-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Damn, the newly acquired funds used to purchase said Slide Rig were refunded this morning back to a buyer who backed out of a pedal deal. I'd already ordered the SlideRig, though, once I saw the money in PayPal. On top of that, the dealer I ordered the Slide Rig from is out of stock, and out of town tending to personal matters, so it might be a few days before I get a refund. Ended up ordering from another dealer today anyway as I have GAS for this pedal, mainly because I've been on a big slide/Ry Cooder kick recently. Normally I am fairly self-disciplined here, but am really wanting the SlideRig pretty badly. And I don't expect that there are many of these on the used market yet, or I'd hold off a bit. Here's to hoping it all works out right.

Anyway, for you guys who were just receiving your compressors in the last few weeks, any initial impressions or thoughts on how it sounds, either Cali76 or the SlideRig?

thanks

Peteyvee
08-20-2013, 07:06 PM
I have the Cali76 transformer version and its unbelievably good. I use it about equally with bass and guitar. It has a low end heft it adds (probably due to the transformer) and is ultra smooth. I just tracked bass for a session with it this week. It's become a vital part of my rig.

Also, it works exceptionally well too as a conventional 1176. My tracking engineer and I ran tracks back through it (at line level) and it sounded better than the 1176 plug-ins we had been using.

There's a pedal that sounds like an 1176? Uh, OK...

Seegs
08-20-2013, 11:50 PM

Somewhat but not really it's based on that but tuned for guitar so there are differences...

There's a good review that compares the two in a link posted by Adagietto

Chow,
Seegs

pharmacybear
08-21-2013, 09:25 AM

I think the idea is that it's based on the ever popular circuit and provides a certain "vibe", just not the real deal. Does a Plextortion sound like a plexi? Eh, sort of. Did the Golden Age Pre 73 sound like a Neve? No, but it sounds cool.

To me it's "cool" cause it has a very similar layout to a studio compressor, unlike most pedal compressors. However, $360 USD......that's pretty expensive......

chankgeez
08-21-2013, 09:31 AM
I think the idea is that it's based on the ever popular circuit and provides a certain "vibe", just not the real deal. Does a Plextortion sound like a plexi? Eh, sort of. Did the Golden Age Pre 73 sound like a Neve? No, but it sounds cool.

To me it's "cool" cause it has a very similar layout to a studio compressor, unlike most pedal compressors. However, $360 USD......that's pretty expensive......

Yeah, it's too expensive for someone like me who merely dabbles in compression, but it's good to know that something like this exists in the event that I decide to start taking guitar compression more seriously.

From the demos, I do think it sounds good enough for further investigation should I ever wanna good quality guitar compressor. It's certainly much less expensive than a lot of high end studio gear.

blackba
09-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Just checked out the Pete Thorn demo, man the Cali76 sounded good. I assume he had the TX version, but I am not sure.

An empress Compressor has been on my GAS list, but this may be replacing it. I have a barber tone press for one board and a Diamond Bass comp for the other. I use the diamond for my jazz bass as well. I love those Onvilab reviews, very helpful.

Anyone compresed the Cali76 to the Empress?

chankgeez
09-23-2013, 08:15 AM
... Anyone compresed the Cali76 to the Empress?

You've sure got compression on your mind.

bieke
09-23-2013, 09:41 AM
I tried both at the Frankfurt Messe earlier this year
and chatted with the builder
very knowledgeable and modest guy
I liked the Cali best, more a tweakers pedal
the SlideRig seemed more geared for live use
the Cali more as a studio tool,
but both impressive pedals,
I thought they were the best pedal finds of the show

Seegs
09-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Heart and soul of my pedalboard...it goes where I go...although it's big the things it does to my tone are essential...it is always on and it excells live...

I've used it for electric shows and have even used it straight into the desk for an acoustic show...when I heard an iPhone demo of the show I couldn't believe what it did to my tone...I just about had a heartattack from a crappy iPhone demo...there were no monitors on stage so I had no idea...

Pete has the transformer version and so do I but if I had to do it again I would get the regular version as I almost never use the features and I do not especially care for the buffer (a little high end shimmer that I don't care for) when it is run on 18vdc which you need to do to activate the transformer...

The 9vdc is true bypass and is as true to my base tone as I have ever gotton going through a pedal...very impressive design and execution...

fwiw...It also kills with a bass running through it...

Chow,
Seegs

Latest rendition of my pedalboard for my Blues Trio...

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll197/Seeegs/Current%20Pedalboard%202013/DSC_0002_zps6fabdeaf.jpg

blackba
09-23-2013, 12:50 PM
You've sure got compression on your mind.

After listening to the demo, I sure do. I was blown away. Must be careful though, all Pete's demos I have seen a killer and inspire excessive GAS.

TC5
11-26-2013, 05:20 PM

Having spent a bit more time scrutinizing those two compressors side by side, I can say that for bass the PC-2A does a great job as well. I might say the compression may be even smoother than on the Cali. You do lose some bottom end but if you EQ it back in post comp the result is excellent. Velvety smooth with no artifacts. The Cali in comparison exhibits slight artifacts in the attack, depending on settings.

This is using a Fender Jazz Deluxe with flats playing dub / reggae style.

chankgeez
11-26-2013, 05:27 PM
This is using a Fender Jazz Deluxe with flats playing dub / reggae style.

Awesome.

Seegs
11-29-2013, 03:46 AM

Haven't tried the Effectrode and am really happy with the Cali 76 but are the above highlighted things desirable? I know I wouldn't like that happening to my signal...

I could be wrong and would be open to being proved wrong but after having tried a number of tube based pedals...IME I have found that a tube pedal of any kind into a tube amp is not something that I want either...maybe to warm up a SS amp but my tube amps really don't need that...too much of a good thing IMO...

I like to use my Cali to slightly boost and punch up my signal with slight compression to limit the peaks which allows me to run my amp at a lower volume without losing highs or punch...it's also a big help when I lower the volume control on my guitar for more or less gain as it helps retain the highs and punch better...

Chow,
Seegs

chankgeez
12-16-2013, 09:03 AM
The GMD just uploaded this:

lI5_c0ABud4

Sounds pretty good.

blackba
12-16-2013, 05:28 PM
^ sounds good! thanks for sharing. Makes me want to work on my slide playing, which is extremely under developed.....

HillbillySims
01-17-2014, 07:06 AM
Got mine.. here is a video I shot at HIGHER comp levels to show how it can do country style compression. Ive had both the Keeley & Wampler.. I think it blows both of them away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v691CDolmT0&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v691CDolmT0&sns=em

JasonElGato
01-17-2014, 07:12 AM
That sounds really really good HillbillySimms, thank you! I'm really wanting one of these.

Embedded:

v691CDolmT0

HillbillySims
01-21-2014, 06:44 PM
A few people PM'd me & asked me to make a new video with the Cali76 turned OFF & ON to compare... here ya go..

And adding a little overdrive from a RedWitch Famulus Overdrive pedal on some parts. Hope this helps!

vJUzx5vsTyQ

HillbillySims
01-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Has anyone used the 18V power supply with the Cali76?.. does it make much difference??

sinasl1
01-26-2014, 06:27 PM
After listening to the demo, I sure do. I was blown away. Must be careful though, all Pete's demos I have seen a killer and inspire excessive GAS.

Thanks! :) these comps are the shit though- they are incredible. The best IMHO. :bow amazing on whatever I throw at them.

darkinners
01-26-2014, 07:51 PM
I only use 18v for Cali.

It depends on you have TX version or regular verison.
If you read the manual . IF you put 9v to TX version.
The added transformer circuit will completely shut down. That makes your TX version became the regular version Cali.

How ever if you feed the TX version with 18v. The transformer come alive(IIRC the manual said TX version needs no less than 18v + 64ma to operate properly)

You will now have the access to all the extra output, controls on the back that came with TX version.
And the signal process through the transformer will added a bit of grit and saturation. Even the gain set to low. If set to high. The grit will became even more pronounce.

Note that, once you feed 18v to TX version, It will be forced buffer bypass and true bypass hardwire disabled.

That means even if Cali is disengaged. Your signal will still pass through the output transformer. So the high/low gain setting will affect your tone even Cali is disengaged.

Seegs
01-27-2014, 02:34 AM
Yep and for my electric guitar rig I much prefer the 9V setting...to me it just sounds much more natural at 9v and plays and sounds a lot better with my other pedals as well...18v affects my base tone and it sounds thinner to me....

I usually have mine on all the time and had I known what I know now I would have bought the 9v only version...

Having said that I have used 18v for an acoustic gig where I went direct to the board and the tones were excellent...maybe in the studio for bass...acoustic etc. 18v will come in handy but I am mostly a live player so it's 9v for me...

Chow,
Seegs

TC5
02-01-2014, 07:15 AM
For me the Cali (transformer version) at 18v gives me a ballsier sound than at 9v (on bass). Haven't noticed any added grit. The transformer definitely adds punch and density. The sound is more gentle at 9v.

TC5
02-01-2014, 07:24 AM
Haven't tried the Effectrode and am really happy with the Cali 76 but are the above highlighted things desirable? I know I wouldn't like that happening to my signal...

Chow,
Seegs

The effects on the highs / lows on the effectrode are evident when going direct to a mixing board listening through headphones but less noticeable when plugged into an amp. Affecting the EQ curve is not something I look for in a compressor but I guess this is just a side effect of this circuit.

HillbillySims
02-02-2014, 11:02 AM
new video with different pedals...lD5SNp0C-es

HillbillySims
02-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Here is a live video for you guys with the Cali76 from my gig last saturday night

humrTTWcBk8

Hwy14
02-25-2014, 05:51 PM
Here is a live video for you guys with the Cali76 from my gig last saturday night

humrTTWcBk8

It was your suggestion that prompted me to buy the cali76. Best decision I've made in a long time! Best compressor I've ever owned!