PDA

View Full Version : UK to US Amp Power

Wolf Static
07-01-2013, 01:20 AM
Okay, so I have an issue...

I have two beautiful amps here in the UK that I want to bring back to the US with me. Problem is that they're both 220-240v...

My options therefore are:

a) Bring 'em both to the States and use step-down Transformers
b) Bring 'em both to the States and get them converted to US power internally
c) Sell them here, take a hit on the price and just buy the models again in the US...

Of course, option c) is the best, but are there any pros/cons with a) and b)? I.e. Cost, practicality, tonal degradation, safety etc.? They're both hand-wired boutiques so warranty's out the window anyway!

tonyhay
07-01-2013, 03:37 AM
I took a '73 Marshall to a tech in the UK and had it converted to US voltage. It wasn't difficult or expensive, just wasn't user adjustable. It sounds wonderful over here with the new voltage (certainly no adverse effect). It was Essex Amp Repairs in Witham, if you're in that part of the world. They do great work.

http://www.essexamprepairs.co.uk/

Cirrus
07-01-2013, 03:42 AM
If it's permenant and you like the amps, I'd go with B. Some amps actually already have the power transformer taps waiting to be hooked up, so you never know. But even if they don't, a PT swap to an equivalent spec isn't the end of the world.

mcdes
07-01-2013, 05:09 AM
Some amps have the taps safely tucked in the amp, and can easily be converted, or better yet, have a switch for options installed.... But not all

Wolf Static
07-01-2013, 11:59 PM
That's great guys - I appreciate the help! I'll probably go with Option B, and just have Soldano do it - I think I care about that little thing too much! As far as the Two Rock goes, I'll probably flip that thing here and pick up an equivalent over there...

But, looking forward to it already!