PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Reid Rig Rundown.

Will Chen
07-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Vernon continues his tradition of having pretty much the craziest rig in the biz. Among a ton of other things, he uses a Zoom G3, Guitar Rig, and Amplitube. Very cool...

aPekZmNeuDs

WhiskeyBro
07-03-2013, 09:06 AM
I am a big Living Colour and Vernon Reid fan (Vivid was the first cassette I ever bought with my own money when I was a kid), but that has to be the most convoluted rats nest of a rig I've ever seen. I wonder if he even has a tech out with him (it doesn't look like it). It just looks like that any minute that rig could short out or just have a ton of noise (he's using an iRig headphone adapter on the iPad?!). I would love to see them live on this tour just to hear the crazy sounds coming out of that mess but unfortunately they're not coming anywhere close to where I live.

birdie_in_texas
07-03-2013, 09:08 AM
i am blocked at work, so will have to wait till tontie to see..

it must be a real mess..

X-Mann
07-03-2013, 09:15 AM
I just saw them at the Magic Bag in Ferndale Mi........& The concert was STELLAR!!!!!!

& so was Vernon's tone!!!!!!

I know that he triggered a lot of voice recordings & there were a lot of crazy sounds in his solos too.....but the main tones seemed to be the on stage amps.....aka The Boogies!!!!

Peace! X-Mann

PS - I got a chance to meet Corey Glover before & after the show too..............Before the show (at the bus) my friend said that he looked like Grady from Sanford & son.......& well......After & during the show Glover looked like a P.I.M.P.!!!!!! He was all decked out!!!!!! fyi

3dognate
07-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Yeah, Setting that mess up would be a nightmare... and yeah i's not a sturdy looking rig.

Droptopandy
07-03-2013, 09:18 AM
His setup is just like his lead playing, one big mess. I feel sorry for his roadie.

Ringleader42
07-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Wow! He and I have the exact same rig!

EDIT: Oops, I am using the Apogee JAM instead of the iRig. Pretty close though.

Will Chen
07-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Huh, the responses are quite surprising. I thought if anyone would appreciate a rig like this it would be those on the cutting edge who use digital gear. I've seen Living Colour twice, last time a few years ago supporting their last studio release and Reid was using an extremely similar rig with the VG99 and iPad but he was using Bugera amps rather than Mesa then. Sounded fantastic.

ksandvik
07-03-2013, 12:17 PM
At least all the configs are run in parallel so if one breaks down he could continue with something else. But yes if I had such a config, I would need a full time stage technician to take care of it.

FenderBigot
07-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Didn't we do this thread last week?

bugzapper
07-03-2013, 12:27 PM
For those who worry about the reliability of Vernon's massive rig . . .

Does anyone really think that VERNON REID is so lacking in experience, so lacking in skills, so lacking in creativity, and so lacking in unpredictable tricks up his sleeve, that, if one or more parts of his complex rig were to take a dump during a gig, he would not be able to deliver an ass-kicking show and would just have to send everyone home disappointed?

Vernon's need for a huge, complex rig is very secondary. As long as he's conscious and not wearing a catcher's mitt on his left hand, Vernon will come up with something cool on the guitar.

bjjp2
07-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Long thread on this already.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1284444&highlight=reid

toasterdude
07-03-2013, 02:28 PM
I live in Dominican Republic and Doug has been there a bunch. They do a charity event called wim bash in Cabarete. I stayed in Cabarete for a week recently and the following week living color was playing on the beach. Sorry I missed them. From all acounts Doug is good people. I did meet Muzz Skilling years ago at mandolin brothers in staten island. He was playing this funky electric national/dobro type thing.

lspaulsp
07-03-2013, 05:07 PM
He's got my Dream Rig!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will Chen
07-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Didn't we do this thread last week?

Long thread on this already.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1284444&highlight=reid

I very rarely stray from this forum, so my sincerest apologies for wasting TGP's oh so precious, precious bandwidth.

charley
07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Not trying to bash at all. Vernon Reid is an amazing talent, worlds beyond me. But that rig is surprising. It really does have a "mad scientist" vibe to it....which fits his style EXAcTLY.

It seems like there is a redundancy to many of the components, like it really could be simplified substantially without losing anything. And I was really following it all, making justifications, even seeing a logic in it.....until he got to the 3 Mesas. I was really expecting the whole shebang to go direct, no amps.

I know that I could not cope with a rig like that. It gives me anxiety just thinking about all the routing and options. And I wonder if much of the nuances are so subtle that only Vernon can hear them?

But, he's the boss, and it would be inappropriate for me to imply he is doing anything wrong, so I won't. if I was on the creative level that he was operating at, maybe then I could question it. But I'm not. Even if I was, I still wouldn't.

As I think about it, that is pretty much EXAcTLY the rig I thought he would have.

bjjp2
07-03-2013, 05:42 PM
I very rarely stray from this forum, so my sincerest apologies for wasting TGP's oh so precious, precious bandwidth.

When I post that there's already a thread I'm not intending to be critical. (Although it wouldn't kill you do to a 2-second search for "Reid"). Honestly. I'm assuming that since the OP is interested in the subject, he might be interested in the fact that there is currently an 8-page thread on the same subject.

charley
07-03-2013, 05:43 PM
When I post that there's already a thread I'm not intending to be critical. (Although it wouldn't kill you do to a 2-second search for "Reid"). Honestly. I'm assuming that since the OP is interested in the subject, he might be interested in the fact that there is currently an 8-page thread on the same subject.

Uh...he is the OP.

bjjp2
07-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Uh...he is the OP.

Yes, I know.

birdie_in_texas
07-04-2013, 04:10 PM
ok..that was crazy. What a freaking MESS of shit to deal with..

wcfields
07-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Wow, insane. He could definately streamline all of that stuff with an Axe or KPA or both etc....Huge fan of Living Colour, and I can understand his approach isn't for everyone...

nicolasrivera
07-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Kudos Vernon for trying new tech and using it live, but all of that could be resolved with the Axe FX!

wcfields
07-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Kudos Vernon for trying new tech and using it live, but all of that could be resolved with the Axe FX!

Agreed, I'm sure his tech could be easily convinced!

Will Chen
07-04-2013, 10:57 PM
As good as the Axe is, it doesn't do everything Vernon wants. Specifically the polyphonic synth stuff. Not sure it can do the type of stuff he's doing on the iPad either. He could most definitely simplify some stuff but I actually really dig what he's doing. A very much unconventional approach. Very cool that he's using a G3 As well. That's 2 of my fav musicians using one ( the other being Victor Wooten).

wcfields
07-04-2013, 11:31 PM
As good as the Axe is, it doesn't do everything Vernon wants. Specifically the polyphonic synth stuff. Not sure it can do the type of stuff he's doing on the iPad either. He could most definitely simplify some stuff but I actually really dig what he's doing. A very much unconventional approach. Very cool that he's using a G3 As well. That's 2 of my fav musicians using one ( the other being Victor Wooten).

It would do a lot of it though...

birdie_in_texas
07-05-2013, 12:16 AM
I thought I saw a video of Vernon recording on the road with an Axe 2..did I imagine that?

wcfields
07-05-2013, 12:21 AM
I thought I saw a video of Vernon recording on the road with an Axe 2..did I imagine that?

Possibly. I know he has an Axe FX Ultra.....

Will Chen
07-05-2013, 08:09 AM
So he has (or had) an Axe and choose another route? Interesting. Maybe this rundown is outdated?

tucsonsound
07-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Seems up to date with what he played 4 months ago:

ufxE2JrkvoM

vulcaniza P
07-05-2013, 05:01 PM
I recently saw footage of living colour live and he had some axe fx on a stool ....I think it was a paris concert?

also in all reality his rig now is probably much more simple than his 2 racks from the stained area of living colour.

Aidanspaghetti
07-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Ive been a fan since Vivid and havent listened to them in years and thats the first time ive ever heard Vernon speak...
Thanks God he's as "mad scientist" as i've always imagined =)

A classic case of the rig matching the man...
Corey sounds fantastic still!

aleclee
07-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Looks like a rig put together through accretion. Nothin' wrong with that but not the way I'd go about it. On the other hand, he's a touring artist and I'm a dude on a discussion board. :messedup

drock2k1
07-05-2013, 06:50 PM
I think some of his tones are amazing. Just goes back to know your gear ang you can get great tone out of it.

I would hate to have a cable go bad though...that could take a while.

vulcaniza P
07-05-2013, 09:08 PM
I would hate to have a cable go bad though...that could take a while.

maybe not.....with the signal in parallel it just might be easier to figure out where a problem may be.

mjm59
07-05-2013, 09:28 PM
So he has (or had) an Axe and choose another route? Interesting. Maybe this rundown is outdated?

This footage is from April 11th, The Park West, Chicago.

tvegas99
07-05-2013, 10:28 PM
many thanks I loved it!!