PDA

View Full Version : Funny Kenny G. Snickers Commercial

phoenix 7
07-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Hilarious, but I'm a little surprised he submitted himself to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKANj5frsAs

Seafoam Green
07-04-2013, 03:14 AM
I suspect money had something to do with it.

V-man
07-04-2013, 03:18 AM
Reminds me of the K-Fed burger flipper Super Bowl commercial.

phoenix 7
07-04-2013, 04:02 AM
I suspect money had something to do with it.

Ya think?

Seafoam Green
07-04-2013, 04:49 AM
Ya think?

I dunno, just a hunch.

phoenix 7
07-04-2013, 05:39 AM
I dunno, just a hunch.

But seriously, the pay must have been good because that commercial is like appearing in millions of people's homes with a sign on you that says "I suck."

Seafoam Green
07-04-2013, 06:23 AM
But seriously, the pay must have been good because that commercial is like appearing in millions of people's homes with a sign on you that says "I suck."

The pay probably is good, but Kenny G has gone beyond being merely a muzak monger from hell to being a byword for "crap" - that's what they're paying for. Put another way, he's worth more as a joke than as a musician. Sadly, perhaps, but fair play to him. Man's got to make a living.

phoenix 7
07-04-2013, 07:26 AM
The pay probably is good, but Kenny G has gone beyond being merely a muzak monger from hell to being a byword for "crap" - that's what they're paying for. Put another way, he's worth more as a joke than as a musician. Sadly, perhaps, but fair play to him. Man's got to make a living.

I suppose you're right. I didn't realize that KG had fallen so far out of the muzak firmament. It's pretty sad, actually. Hell, he looks sad in the commercial.

McShred
07-04-2013, 08:16 AM
You guys are reading too much in to it. Kenny G music is a joke, to the kind of guys depicted in the video. Kenny still sells records and tours and probably makes a quite comfortable living. The fact that guys wearing hoodies while eating Snickers by the handful take pot shots at him, probably is as funny to him as it is to us.

Yanni is a big frikken joke too, and he made millions.

I thought is was funny, and actually made Kenny G come off as more likeable. Self deprecating humour is a good sign that someone doesnt take themselves too seriously.

Melodic Dreamer
07-04-2013, 08:27 AM
You guys are reading too much in to it. Kenny G music is a joke, to the kind of guys depicted in the video. Kenny still sells records and tours and probably makes a quite comfortable living. The fact that guys wearing hoodies while eating Snickers by the handful take pot shots at him, probably is as funny to him as it is to us.

I thought is was funny, and actually made Kenny G come off as more likeable. Self deprecating humour is a good sign that someone doesnt take themselves too seriously.

Exactly what I was thinking!

FenderBigot
07-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Robin Williams did one... The money HAS to be good.

SamBooka
07-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Now if we can get one with Metheny

mixwiz
07-04-2013, 09:42 AM
The guy is a damn good sax player, a scratch golfer and a pretty nice guy with a sense of humor. his style really isn't my cup of tea but I think he deserves some respect. I do think its time for a haircut though.

harmonicator
07-04-2013, 10:06 AM
I don't dig what he plays. His unethical artistic decisions do not command my respect.

I didn't find the commercial to be funny/clever...at all.

patfarlow
07-04-2013, 10:12 AM
It takes a person with a strong personality to be able to make fun of themselves.

Plus his son is an amazing guitar player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-mJIZk8BTY

McShred
07-04-2013, 11:25 AM
I don't dig what he plays. His unethical artistic decisions do not command my respect.

Um, details? Surely you're not still sore about him dubbing himself in on the Louis Armstrong classic? While possibly in questionable taste, I'm not sure unethical is an apt descriptor.

stevieboy
07-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Who's Kenny G. Snickers?

Fred132
07-04-2013, 04:06 PM
John Tesh was probably busy, so Kenny got the gig.

Misterbulbous
07-04-2013, 05:49 PM

I didn't find the commercial to be funny/clever...at all.

bad day?
You're not "you" when your hungry. Try some Snickers bites.

Melodic Dreamer
07-04-2013, 06:23 PM
He is not my thing by any means, but he seems like a nice guy.

l9KLAltIol4

Flyin' Brian
07-04-2013, 06:34 PM
I think it would have been better if he ate the Snickers and turned into Pat Metheny.

V-man
07-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Speaking of which (in terms of relevance) anybody remember the Sprite commercial with their spoof of Yanni known as Yablo? It was quite hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSu7MAGza7M

QuintaQuad
07-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Speaking of which (in terms of relevance) anybody remember the Sprite commercial with their spoof of Yanni known as Yablo? It was quite hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSu7MAGza7M

Actually it's a spoof of Zamfir, Master of the Pan Flute...

qv7bUkBvWDc

bob-i
07-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Come on, of course Kenny G knows how people make fun of him, why not make fun of yourself and make money doing it.

tsar nicholas
07-04-2013, 10:45 PM
I think it would have been better if he ate the Snickers and turned into Pat Metheny.

^ +1 on this

Gorelick's probably one of the top two or three biggest selling instrumental music players of all time and probably has more money than 99.999999999999999999999% of musicians, I think he's probably the one laughing here. And I say that as someone who strongly dislikes his music.

telefactor
07-04-2013, 10:49 PM
actually this is my favorite commercial right now...

By8MAFx4Om0

harmonicator
07-04-2013, 11:22 PM
bad day?
You're not "you" when your hungry. Try some Snickers bites.

I do like snickers :)

Scooter
07-05-2013, 04:20 AM
Now if we can get one with Metheny

It wouldn't work. Metheny isn't known to the average Joe Public TV watcher. He's too good to be popular.

Polynitro
07-05-2013, 06:25 AM
Robin Williams did one... The money HAS to be good.

i was at my nephews little league all-star game last week and when they were warming up i heard the phrase "win one for mother Russia" many times.

i dont think the joke is that kenny G sucks but rather the dude turns into kenny G playing a sad song instead of telling a funny story.

the joke would be different if the dude was playing say a shredding guitar solo after eating a snickers where before he was kenny G.

that is to say we are reading too much into it.

UncleDuke
07-05-2013, 07:04 AM

+1000

SamBooka
07-05-2013, 08:06 AM
It wouldn't work. Metheny isn't known to the average Joe Public TV watcher. He's too good to be popular.

Think Flyin Brian got my point ;)

Flyin' Brian
07-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Think Flyin Brian got my point ;)

:beer