PDA

View Full Version : Orange rockerverb 50 review...

sovtekking
02-01-2006, 09:02 PM
well, i got my rockerverb 50 in today and I love it. 4-6v6 power section is the coolest thing about it, but that reverb is amazing. For once, I have found an amp that I think I like the clean channel more than the drive channel on. The drive is that great raunchy black crowes-ish drive that I love so this one will be mine for a while. the Hi-Lo damping switch isnt a big difference until the higher volumes (1/3 up or so), but it makes a big difference there. All in all, super cool amp with great tones and at a list of about 1599 or whatever it is...it isnt completely breaking the bank for the next year(haha).

LSchefman
02-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Lots of guys love that amp around here...I think Leon C is one of them, and he's a heckuva player with very good ears.

AbstractLunatic
02-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Orange tube amps sound amazing! They sell at list price though...

Worth it?

Leonc
02-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Thanks Les!

Yup. Love my Rockerverb. Unique sound, excellent features, decent price (though not cheap). One of the most satisfying amps I've owned.

ericb
02-02-2006, 08:49 AM
You always sound great, but I like your Roccaforte Custom 80 tone the most!!

Yep those were my favorite clips tonewise of Leon's too

ERIC

Tag
02-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Im a believer as well. One of the best sounding channel switchers (or amp)I have ever played. Totally unique and refreshing sound. Playing one is like drinking an ice cold glass of fresh squeezed Orange juice! :)

soulohio
02-02-2006, 09:03 AM
will the rockerverb 50 nail the tone that Heart got on "magic man"? I am sure everybody has seen that video clip of Heart over in Europe somewhere with a solid backline of Orange amps!!! I wonder what model those were?

brent
02-02-2006, 09:04 AM
I really like my mine, and I'm not a channel switcher/ultra gain player

It's a unique but excellent tone, surprisingly responsive for as much gain as it has. The clean channel is pretty close to perfectly warm, a great not quite tweed not quite blackface character with gobs of headroom

Tag
02-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Hey Tag,

Post some clips so we can all drool and gas and stuff! LOL, That amp has been on my list since I heard LeonC clips. Glad you like it!

I do not have one! I have been thinking about it for a long time, but have been strong. Lol! I played one at Lark Street music, and it was killer!

brent
02-02-2006, 09:26 AM
will the rockerverb 50 nail the tone that Heart got on "magic man"? I am sure everybody has seen that video clip of Heart over in Europe somewhere with a solid backline of Orange amps!!! I wonder what model those were?

the main part of that Magic Man tone Roger Fisher got was a OD his brother made for him, completely overloaded the input of a JMP with his strat

In the states, live it was a wall of musicman heads driving weirdly shaped white speaker cabs

Legend
02-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Orange tube amps sound amazing! They sell at list price though...

Worth it?

Where did you get this from? Orange does not require dealers to sell at list price. If the dealers near you are selling them at list, that's their choice. I did not buy my Rockerverb at list price, that is for sure.

Jeztastic
02-02-2006, 06:25 PM
I tried a Rockerverb 30 1x12 and really didn't rate it. I thought it lacked depth... Maybe wasn't doing the right things with it, but...

fuzzyguitars
02-02-2006, 06:34 PM
i am really curious about the rocker 100

supposedly it has a new transformer and can accept various tube types!:dude

sovtekking
02-02-2006, 08:37 PM
the store i work at just got the line and they don't require you to sell at list, but the the store cost is pretty high on these. sort of like a 1200$ amp will have a store cost of about 8-900$ or so...so selling at list is suggested by the cost ratio, but not a required thing. we discount them about 10% off of list depending on the amp and everything, whereas everything else usually goes for at most 30% and sometimes lower than 40% off. thanks

AbstractLunatic
02-03-2006, 12:04 AM
the store i work at just got the line and they don't require you to sell at list, but the the store cost is pretty high on these. sort of like a 1200$ amp will have a store cost of about 8-900$ or so...so selling at list is suggested by the cost ratio, but not a required thing. we discount them about 10% off of list depending on the amp and everything, whereas everything else usually goes for at most 30% and sometimes lower than 40% off. thanks
Where do you work?

AbstractLunatic
02-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Seriously...

Where can I get this deal?

bluessyndicate
02-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Where did you get this from? Orange does not require dealers to sell at list price. If the dealers near you are selling them at list, that's their choice. I did not buy my Rockerverb at list price, that is for sure.

I heard that also..from True Tone in Santa Monica, CA.

They said Orange requires dealers to sell for list, and that in order to enforce it, customers making warranty claims need to show their receipts in order ... the customer will get service regardless, but orange will be able to verify the dealer was compliant.

seventn
06-05-2006, 12:45 PM
That is price fixing and it is illegal.

TimH
06-05-2006, 01:14 PM
That is price fixing and it is illegal.

not in the US. Tonne of companies do it there. Here in Canada it happens but they can't "cut you off"...they just tell you everything is backordered.

MikeyG
06-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Yep those were my favorite clips tonewise of Leon's too

ERIC

+3. I loved the hard rock rhythm and lead tones of that Rocca 80.

seventn
06-05-2006, 01:23 PM
sucks

sovtekking
06-05-2006, 06:44 PM
I worked at music maker in easley SC...I think they have a bunch of rocker 30's right now, head and 412, combo but they'll hook you up on the orange. I recently left the music store to go back to the restaurant business (more money)...but if you're intereseted in picking up an orange give 'em a call at 859-1077 (864 area code) and talk to Russ or Glenn.

minesaguinness
06-15-2006, 04:58 AM
The clean channel blew me away on the RV50 - after comparing to Bad Cat, Diezel, Fender etc etc etc - is one of the best clean channels to suit my style I've yet come across.

The dirty does pretty much anything you want but I find gain around 10o'clock to 11o'clock gives that raw punch in the gut Orangeness that you don't get on any other amp.

For versatility - meaning all pedals in t'bin - is great.... and as the folks above have said the reverb is subtle and adds a kinda "sheen" rather than an obvious reverb - used with caution about 8:30 to 9o'clock.

It's now my main live/studio amp and in all probability I'll be getting a sparein next couple of months.

Cheers
Brian

hasserl
06-15-2006, 11:22 AM
I agree that these are great sounding amps, I'd love to have one. But the combo's sure are heavy. I don't know the weight, but I know when I tried lifting it in the store to check the weight I was shocked. I'm normally a combo kind of guy, but I think I'd go with a head and cab for this one.

pep
07-17-2006, 01:19 AM
Yeah, the Rockerverb 50 combo is 84 lbs. Scary thing is that the head alone weighs 52 lbs!

orangekick
07-17-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm looking at Orange amps at the moment and the RV50 has caught my eye. How loud is it? Are you running it with an Orange cab?

AD
07-17-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm looking at Orange amps at the moment and the RV50 has caught my eye. How loud is it? Are you running it with an Orange cab?

I love the RV 50 also. For whatever reason, it is not as loud as i would expect a 50W amp to be. The MV works really well - you can get decent tones at very low volumes.

The reverb on mine must be broken because it sounds awful. I've changed the preamp tubes and same result,however, since i rarely use reverb, i'm ok with the compromise. Anything past 7 o'clock on the reverb dial and it's surf city.

orangekick
07-17-2006, 01:01 PM
I love the RV 50 also. For whatever reason, it is not as loud as i would expect a 50W amp to be. The MV works really well - you can get decent tones at very low volumes.

That's no good for me. I need the volume. Low volume has it's place, but it's not in my band. Maybe the RV 100 is more what I need...

AD
07-17-2006, 03:18 PM
That's no good for me. I need the volume. Low volume has it's place, but it's not in my band. Maybe the RV 100 is more what I need...

to clarify - my point is that i expected it to be louder for a 50 W amp (say compared to the Flexi I have). It is still plenty loud.

keith_t4e
07-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Nancy Wilson has gone back to them. Howard Leese last used a Soldano SLO and a Marshall. The best tone I've ever heard bar none. Howard is the man. I like the sound of Orange amps. Don't like the loud color though.

chicagoguitargu
03-14-2008, 05:22 PM
the verb on my RV50 kicks ace as well. real smooth, great clean tone

VanR
03-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Nancy Wilson has gone back to them. Howard Leese last used a Soldano SLO and a Marshall. The best tone I've ever heard bar none. Howard is the man. I like the sound of Orange amps. Don't like the loud color though.

You can get them in black now.

jamison162
03-14-2008, 06:58 PM
to clarify - my point is that i expected it to be louder for a 50 W amp (say compared to the Flexi I have). It is still plenty loud.

It's the taper on the pots, you have more range unlike the OCD pedal...hehehehe. Get it past noon and 3/4 way up and the volume really comes on.