PDA

View Full Version : Empress Tape Delay vs. Wampler Faux Tape Echo vs. ???

PedalFreak
07-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Looking for a Tape Echo pedal right now. And looking around I think it's between the Empress & Wampler. But if there is something else out there I should look at let me know.

I like that the Empress has a few presets.

Anyone try the Empress and Wampler? What were your thoughts on the two?

Thanks in advance!

SirGilmour
07-05-2013, 01:04 PM
As far as tape delay I have owned the Timeline, TC Nova, Empress Superdelay and now own the Empress Tape Delay. The Empress TD is by far my favorite. It's the most gorgeous sounding delay and the feature set is awesome. It has ended my delay search. It does everything from bright crisp repeats to dark washy stuff.

Quintessence
07-05-2013, 01:07 PM
I was looking at these too but I've decided to go with the third option...Rockett Alien Echo

PedalFreak
07-05-2013, 01:18 PM
I was looking at these too but I've decided to go with the third option...Rockett Alien Echo

Why is that?

shawnd2007
07-05-2013, 01:37 PM
feel like there was thread a few days back where everyone was saying the Wampler had a lot of white noise.

(and by "everyone" i mean a couple of people)

TimD
07-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Im a certified delay junkie. I've owned the Timeline twice, Brigadier (highly overlooked, great pedal) the TC Nova, EH SMMH, Boss DD20, DL4, Carbon Copy and numerous others.
The tone and feature set of the TD are solid and why I am keeping this one.
For the money it's hard to beat.

rummy
07-05-2013, 03:48 PM
I didn't experience noise issues with the Wampler, but it just didn't do it for me. It was ok, but it didn't sound good to me. I ended up with TC Flashback. Yeah....

harpinon
07-05-2013, 05:15 PM
I honestly cannot tell you what I didn't like about the Wampler. It just seemed like I was always fiddling with the dials to get what I wanted.

The Empress never fails and the 8 presets are fantastic.

What about the El Capistan? Its maybe a little better sounding than the Empress - no presets though.

la noise
07-05-2013, 05:53 PM
8 presets??? How??

401(k) thrasher
07-05-2013, 06:01 PM
The Empress Tape Delay has 3 presets. I think he meant 8 presets on the bigger Empress Superdelay.

SirGilmour
07-05-2013, 06:01 PM
The Superdelay has 8. The tape delay has 3

la noise
07-05-2013, 06:04 PM
I see. That makes sense now. Thanks. :)

BadMonkey007
07-05-2013, 06:55 PM
love my wampler i have the old one dont need the tap tempo

http://iceimg.com/i/6d/ab/b6a774bce5.jpg

lv
07-10-2013, 12:02 PM
What about the El Capistan? Its maybe a little better sounding than the Empress - no presets though.

I've owned the capistan twice, I prefer the empress. Owned 3 fulltone tube tape echos as well. I think the empress is closer to the tte if you like that one.

TheGuildedAge
07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
I try not to trash products, but I ordered the Empress Tape Delay from Prymaxe and it went back the day I received it.

Second only to the badass distortion from MXR as a pedal I was utterly disappointed with.

I liked the Wampler Faux Tape Echo very much, and the Strymon El Cap is nice too, but for the price the wampler wins for me.

The empress modulation was way too subtle for me, I literally could barely hear it. It was one of those things where, if it was $100 bucks, it sounded ok, but for $250 I would spend the extra on the el capistan.

I am also in the minority in that I liked the Faux tape Echo better than the strymon. The modulaton though was finicky, it responds to how hard you pick, and for me, it changed too much as I changed guitars and outputs.

I am a delay freak though, so I am ultra picky about modulation. Memory Man is my favorite and I am resigned to the fact I may just need to up and buy one again and stop messing with alternatives.

SirGilmour
07-10-2013, 12:54 PM
^^^^I totally disagree on the Empress. The modulation is wonderful to my ears.

PedalFreak
07-10-2013, 12:57 PM
I've owned the capistan twice, I prefer the empress. Owned 3 fulltone tube tape echos as well. I think the empress is closer to the tte if you like that one.

Good to hear about the similarity to the TTE. I regret selling mine :(

But I did buy an Empress Tape Delay from ProGuitarShop on Monday :aok Looking forward to it!

buzzp
07-10-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm in the same boat as the OP- I've also considered a Catalinbread Echorec and Himmelstrutz Gekko.

Is TheGuildedAge alone on his opinion of the TD or are there others that share his opinion?

PedalFreak
07-10-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm in the same boat as the OP- I've also considered a Catalinbread Echorec and Himmelstrutz Gekko.

Is TheGuildedAge alone on his opinion of the TD or are there others that share his opinion?

I was looking at the Echorec, and I think I'll be able to get the same sounds I'm looking for on the Empress. I can let you know more when I get it. Should be here on Friday.

la noise
07-10-2013, 01:39 PM
I try not to trash products, but I ordered the Empress Tape Delay from Prymaxe and it went back the day I received it.

Second only to the badass distortion from MXR as a pedal I was utterly disappointed with.

I liked the Wampler Faux Tape Echo very much, and the Strymon El Cap is nice too, but for the price the wampler wins for me.

The empress modulation was way too subtle for me, I literally could barely hear it. It was one of those things where, if it was $100 bucks, it sounded ok, but for $250 I would spend the extra on the el capistan.

I am also in the minority in that I liked the Faux tape Echo better than the strymon. The modulaton though was finicky, it responds to how hard you pick, and for me, it changed too much as I changed guitars and outputs.

I am a delay freak though, so I am ultra picky about modulation. Memory Man is my favorite and I am resigned to the fact I may just need to up and buy one again and stop messing with alternatives.

And here I was all set to pull the trigger on an ETD. :huh

TheGuildedAge
07-10-2013, 01:45 PM
And here I was all set to pull the trigger on an ETD. :huh

I almost wonder if I got a bad one. You literally could not hear the modulation at any setting, vintage, old, slow, fast, etc.

la noise
07-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Huh?? I did notice on clips that the none of them exhibited any extreme modulation.

SirGilmour
07-10-2013, 01:52 PM
I almost wonder if I got a bad one. You literally could not hear the modulation at any setting, vintage, old, slow, fast, etc.

If you had "blips mode" enabled the modulation is disabled. Maybe that's why you didn't hear it? Because when I turn the mix up and delay time and repeats to zero with the modulation on I get a nice chorus sound.

Adagietto
07-10-2013, 01:55 PM
I almost wonder if I got a bad one. You literally could not hear the modulation at any setting, vintage, old, slow, fast, etc.Maybe yours was bad. The modulation was subtle, but sounded very nice. [I had two, but different issues.]

la noise
07-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Why did you not keep them, Adagietto??

Adagietto
07-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Why did not keep them, Adagietto??The first one would not hold presets. Both hissed.

la noise
07-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Huh?? Too noisy, then??

TheGuildedAge
07-10-2013, 02:20 PM
I had mine in tap mode

buzzp
07-10-2013, 02:22 PM
So what would you recommend guilded?

Adagietto
07-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Huh?? Too noisy, then??Too noisy for a delay. :)

SirGilmour
07-10-2013, 02:25 PM
I had mine in tap mode

No. Blips is a secondary function. If it was enabled then you won't get modulation.

la noise
07-10-2013, 02:26 PM
I bet it was just good old fashioned tape hiss. ;)

SirGilmour
07-10-2013, 02:26 PM
My tape delay is dead silent.

TheGuildedAge
07-10-2013, 02:27 PM
No. Blips is a secondary function. If it was enabled then you won't get modulation.

Wow. I wonder if it was in blips mode, I didn't know it, and that's why. I had no idea. Maybe someone tried it in the store or something or put it in blips and I didn't know.

MikeTz
07-10-2013, 02:28 PM
People should know that this pedal needs a good 280mA through isolated power, if daisy-chained or on a lower mA power output it will hiss.

la noise
07-10-2013, 02:31 PM
People should know that this pedal needs a good 280mA through isolated power, if daisy-chained or on a lower mA power output it will hiss.

Thanks, MikeTz. :)

SirGilmour
07-10-2013, 02:34 PM

Agreed. I tried 250 and it hissed. Moved to 300 and dead silent.

PedalFreak
07-10-2013, 02:35 PM
My tape delay is dead silent.

I hope mine is dead silent when it comes in on Friday :D

Talked with Empress. They said on a Pedal Power 2+ use output 5 or 6 with the switch away from normal, and the Pedal will have no problem. Called them before I bought it, b/c I wanted to use my PP2+

JeffOlson
07-10-2013, 02:44 PM
My Empress Tape Delay is dead silent, and I power it with a OneSpot: Empress Phaser - > Bogner Blue -> Bogner Red -> Neunaber WET Stereo Reverb -> Empress Tape Delay.

The Bogner Red is another matter...

buzzp
07-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Welp, good thing I didn't buy that older Wampler without Tap. Empress it is!

SirGilmour
07-10-2013, 03:24 PM
I hope mine is dead silent when it comes in on Friday :D

Talked with Empress. They said on a Pedal Power 2+ use output 5 or 6 with the switch away from normal, and the Pedal will have no problem. Called them before I bought it, b/c I wanted to use my PP2+

I never tried it @12 volts. Only 9. Maybe that helps too with the PP2+?

PedalFreak
07-10-2013, 04:28 PM
I never tried it @12 volts. Only 9. Maybe that helps too with the PP2+?

It goes to 12v? I looked in the VoodooLab manual and it didn't say anything about it being 12v that way.

lv
07-10-2013, 04:36 PM

Pretty noticeable here:

NkL0UxIqSY8

And also here:

vFzegfC4Gi8

SirGilmour
07-10-2013, 04:37 PM
It goes to 12v? I looked in the VoodooLab manual and it didn't say anything about it being 12v that way.

From the manual:

DIP Switch: ON(or away from normal)
Output DC Voltage
Max current

Outputs 1-4 (ACA)
12.3V
60mA

Outputs 5-6 (L6)
14.5V
/ 12V (unregulated)
50mA
/ 200mA+

Outputs 7-8 (SAG)
Adjustable
4V - 9V
100mA

lv
07-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Welp, good thing I didn't buy that older Wampler without Tap. Empress it is!

I actually liked the older Wampler (other than the pick sensitive modulation) but it is definitely in the darker, low-fi kinda tape voicing, whereas the empress really does the more pristine tape echo sounds much better.

Ruger had them both recently, maybe he'll chime in....

TheGuildedAge
07-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Damn it. Mine didn't do that like the clips. It had to have been in blip mode. $8 to send it back because I didn't read the manual.

SirGilmour
07-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Damn it. Mine didn't do that like the clips. It had to have been in blip mode. $8 to send it back because I didn't read the manual.

LOL.

la noise
07-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Can you come over and help me put my new gas grill together, Guilded? I don't like reading manuals either. :D

la noise
07-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Pretty noticeable here:

NkL0UxIqSY8

And also here:

vFzegfC4Gi8

Boy... thanks for resolving the apparent "technical" issues with these vids. I am going to pick one up. That sounds fantastic. :aok

la noise
07-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Prymaxe is sold out! :cry:

la noise
07-10-2013, 05:41 PM
PGS was not, however. Score! :aok

PedalFreak
07-10-2013, 05:57 PM
From the manual:

DIP Switch: ON(or away from normal)
Output DC Voltage
Max current

Outputs 1-4 (ACA)
12.3V
60mA

Outputs 5-6 (L6)
14.5V
/ 12V (unregulated)
50mA
/ 200mA+

Outputs 7-8 (SAG)
Adjustable
4V - 9V
100mA

Hmmmm...New email sent to Empress, just to verify he meant to say use the non-normal switching.

PGS was not, however. Score! :aok

Yep, that's where I ordered mine :aok

vinylstrat
07-10-2013, 05:59 PM
I just bought the Empress TD a couple of days ago after playing for an hour and half in the store. It sounded wonderful... But now I have to wait until i get back from vacation to actually screw with it completely.

ruger9
07-10-2013, 06:13 PM
I actually liked the older Wampler (other than the pick sensitive modulation) but it is definitely in the darker, low-fi kinda tape voicing, whereas the empress really does the more pristine tape echo sounds much better.

Ruger had them both recently, maybe he'll chime in....

Wampler FTET vs Empress??

hmm....

Obviously, the Empress is a digital model where the Wampler is a digital delay. Both makes beautiful echoes. Both are on the slightly bright side of things to my ears. To be specific...

Empress: I don't remember if the Empress left the analog 100% intact when activated or not; the repeats didn't get dark enough for me, so I stopped there, not listening further.

Wampler: the shade knob does a great job of giving bright or warm echoes. I think Wampler hit a home run with this box, and between the two, I'd pick the Wampler. HOWEVER- the buffer in the Wampler does brighten the ANALOG/BASE tone. Some. It's quite nice, a sparkle if you will, if you like that sort of thing. Wampler even explains it on his site, altho he's talking about the Ego Compressor, I'm sure the same is true of the FTET... I just read it on his FAQ page last week, but his FAQ page is blank. Basically, he said the buffer in the pedal DOES brighten things a bit, but that's a good thing on a pedalboard. So what if it's not on a pedalboard? I went Wampler FTET straight into the amp. It brightens the base tone.

Oh- and the Wampler has a bit of the PT2399 "white noise" on the repeats at longer delay times. You'd probably never hear it live, but at home it's there. The pedal makes such beautiful sounds I was living to live with it, but the brightening of the base tone I can't live with. If I want a buffer on my pedalboard, I'll take care of it myself, thanks. (nothing against buffers that DON'T color tone tho)

I'd still pick the Wampler over the Empress. But I DID pick the FBX4 over all of them!

ruger9
07-10-2013, 06:16 PM
I honestly cannot tell you what I didn't like about the Wampler. It just seemed like I was always fiddling with the dials to get what I wanted.

This is how I felt about the El Capistan. But not so with the Wampler or the FBX4.

la noise
07-10-2013, 06:31 PM
What did you like about the FBX4 over the Wampler and Empress, ruger?? :)

I ask, because I have had an FBX4 and just sold that and my Nova Delay. For me, a lot of the TC algorithms sounded the same. I didn't feel there was enough variation in the different delays. They all... sort of had that pristine TC Electronics quality to them.

la noise
07-10-2013, 06:33 PM
My hope with the Empress is that it is a bit murkier. I could not get the FBX$ or Nova Delay to do the "murky" thing---dark repeats with modulation--as well as I would have liked.

Great pedal, otherwise! :aok

TheGuildedAge
07-10-2013, 06:46 PM
I must have gotten Prymaxes last one. They got mine back today.

I didn't find the Empress murky, by the way. It was bright but not harsh if that makes sense. Not as dark as my analog delay, though in their defense it probably isn't supposed to be.

la noise
07-10-2013, 07:00 PM
But you can "darken" up the repeats quite a bit, I am assuming?

SirGilmour
07-10-2013, 07:31 PM
But you can "darken" up the repeats quite a bit, I am assuming?

With old tape and lo pass its pretty dark. Not carbon copy dark but washy for sure with the mod.

ruger9
07-10-2013, 08:00 PM
What did you like about the FBX4 over the Wampler and Empress, ruger?? :)

I ask, because I have had an FBX4 and just sold that and my Nova Delay. For me, a lot of the TC algorithms sounded the same. I didn't feel there was enough variation in the different delays. They all... sort of had that pristine TC Electronics quality to them.

No added brightness to base tone (wampler), no noise on repeats (wampler), repeats can be as dark as I like (empress), I don't feel the need to tweak once I have a toneprint (strymon).

In short, the FBX4 has great stock models with very little tweaking required, it just sounds and feels "right" to me, I turn it on, choose a TP, and enjoy myself. And I chose it DESPITE the fact that it's nearly the size of a pinto.

Add making my own toneprints via the editor, and it's game over. And I only did that for a few days- once I dialed in about 6 toneprints to my liking, I was done. I haven't touched the editor since. But now the X4 is MY delay with MY sounds, 6 of them, right onboard. No tweaking required, except maybe the level here and there, like any delay.

I've never been interested in the super-tweakable Novas and such... I want something that's simple, sounds great, and JUST WORKS.

ruger9
07-10-2013, 08:02 PM
My hope with the Empress is that it is a bit murkier. I could not get the FBX$ or Nova Delay to do the "murky" thing---dark repeats with modulation--as well as I would have liked.

Great pedal, otherwise! :aok

Dude, that's nuts. Did you use the Toneprint Editor? Because I have a couple of toneprints that sound like pea soup being poured into a swamp. Heck, the TC toneprint "warble tape" is pretty dark already, and you can make it darker with the editor.

AXXA
07-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Probably old news to everyone but I just got an RE-20 and it sounds pretty damn good! Occupies the space between my DM-2 and DSD-3 quite well, being a little dirty, yet present. And most imporantly, I felt it got pretty close to Police Truck, even though that was recorded with an Echoplex! This pedal is buckets of fun!

I'm still holding out for the Belle Epoche though. None of the other current tape delay sims seem to get the sound I'm looking for, though I'm sure that Empress is nice for cleaner stuff.

la noise
07-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Dude, that's nuts. Did you use the Toneprint Editor? Because I have a couple of toneprints that sound like pea soup being poured into a swamp. Heck, the TC toneprint "warble tape" is pretty dark already, and you can make it darker with the editor.

Maybe that is where I missed out---not using the Toneprint editor. :huh

And, for the record, I am not nuts. Well, maybe a little. :crazy

I still felt all the various delay types to choose from had a similar "tone" to them. Yeah, I did. Really. :)

Quintessence
07-10-2013, 11:08 PM
I was looking at the Empress and the Wampler but think I've decided on the Rockett Alien Echo.

leblanc74
07-11-2013, 08:57 AM
I am happy with my Empress TD...it does what it suppose to do..

PedalFreak
07-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Just got my Empress Tape Delay in today. WOW! Very happy I bought this pedal. Sounds so close to the Tape Delays that I've owned!

My love for delay was just rekindled by this pedal :D

Less=more
10-16-2013, 11:03 PM
maybe this demo will help you...

J0rg6-0BwHo

rockabilly69
10-18-2013, 01:04 PM

+1 same thing drove me crazy with the BOSS RE20 echo until I got it on a pedal power II!

MogwaiBoy
10-18-2013, 05:52 PM
I just put money down on one of these - might be worth a look?

http://www.lovepedal.com/echophonic/