PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Les Paul tone caps.

Pleximan
07-12-2013, 04:27 PM
I've got a Gibson Les Paul Studio and I am wanting it to sound more like a 59. Is most of it in the Pickups and tone caps? Or is there more to it? I like the pickups in it but am thinking of changing the tone caps ideas?

SPROING!
07-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Well, if you like the pickups and it doesn't sound like a 59, you're kinda out of luck. The tone cap isn't gonna change the sound of the guitar. All it can do is regulate how much treble bleeds off when you turn the tone knob.

kracdown
07-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Yeah.. You'd most likely have to change all the electrical components, but that's not what makes a 59 sound like it does. The wood, the finish, the construction, the hardware, and many other small things are different in the two guitars. The best thing you can do is add new pickups and wiring, and maybe a new bridge and tailpiece.

theruley
07-12-2013, 08:59 PM
A set of Gibson bumblebee caps will make your guitar sound EXACTLY like Jimmy Page.

Jason_77
07-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Tone cap material irrelevant due to its function. Its not functioning as a coupling cap in an amp; its just siphoning some high end off to ground. (Don't let them tell you that you need to spend a ton on boo-teek caps made from tightly wound unicorn pubes!)

Next to pickups, speakers are going to have a huge impact on sound. That may be a place to look. What's the rest of your rig like?

yell03
07-13-2013, 05:06 AM
Yeah.. You'd most likely have to change all the electrical components, but that's not what makes a 59 sound like it does. The wood, the finish, the construction, the hardware, and many other small things are different in the two guitars. The best thing you can do is add new pickups and wiring, and maybe a new bridge and tailpiece.

I hate to admit it, but he is correct.

I have a Gibson R7 (1957 VOS) and it sounds way better than any Les Paul I've ever owned.
I used to own a Gibson SG VOS, same thing.

I just bought a 2013 SG Standard and it sounds almost as good as my old VOS.

Pickups:

The R7 and VOS have a Bustbucker 1 in the neck & a Burstbucker 2 in the Bridge, I am pretty sure the 59 does also, that can be your 1st change.
57 Classics are nice also.

I would try a pickup swap and see if that gets you where you want to be, if not, reinstall the old pickups and move on to a Les Paul Traditional which comes with a 57 Classic in the neck and a 57 Classic Plus in the bridge, however I like the regular 57 Classic better in both positions.

You might even find a Gibson R7 or R8 used for under $2000, it will sound just like the 59, but with a slightly fatter neck. I always liked thin necks, but after buying my R7, I've changed, it is so easy to play.

toddinjax@yahoo
07-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Check out the links to article in post #55 of this thread:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1287716&highlight=let%27s+talk+bridges&page=4

DGDGBD
07-13-2013, 06:56 AM
changed out 300K volume pots for 500K. Use the 50s wiring scheme. Put in relatively low output alnico pickups with no potting. Any 0.022 uf caps will do. That will get you 90% there.

Liquid_Mojo
07-13-2013, 07:39 AM
The stock pickups in a Studio can get muddy. A pickup swap is probably your best bet. Upgrade to 50's wiring and change the pots to 500K and swap out the caps. It'll get you close.

RJLII
07-13-2013, 08:43 AM
I've got a Gibson Les Paul Studio and I am wanting it to sound more like a 59.

Not trying to be a smartass, but what does a '59 sound like? What elements of the current sound do you find lacking?

RussB
07-13-2013, 09:26 AM
changed out 300K volume pots for 500K. Use the 50s wiring scheme. Put in relatively low output alnico pickups with no potting. Any 0.022 uf caps will do. That will get you 90% there.

Nice! Here's your roadmap to Rt 59!

tazzboy
07-13-2013, 12:50 PM
50's wiring

500K Audio pots you can get WD Music or Vision Guitar Works eBay Store.

As for caps I would recommend Vintage Vitamin Q .015 for the neck and .022 bridge or the Luxe Bumblebee caps.

as for pickups I can give 3 recommendation Re-Wind Pickups, Zhangbuckers, and Sheptone. But those are mine recommendation I suggest trying out as many as you can.

bartmcartman
07-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Burstbuckers, 500k pots, orange drops or a decent quality cap and 50's wiring should get you as close as you're going to get with that guitar.

nicolasrivera
07-15-2013, 02:02 PM
I've got a Gibson Les Paul Studio and I am wanting it to sound more like a 59. Is most of it in the Pickups and tone caps? Or is there more to it? I like the pickups in it but am thinking of changing the tone caps ideas?

I did this video test of original 40's and 50's BBs that may help you hear some find the tone a tone you may like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSE8HsSw3pI

Tone_Terrific
07-15-2013, 03:14 PM
I did this video test of original 40's and 50's BBs that may help you hear some find the tone a tone you may like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSE8HsSw3pI

How did you test those?
What was the pot position?

nicolasrivera
07-15-2013, 03:23 PM
How did you test those?
What was the pot position?

The Tone knob was all the way closed of course. All the way open the tone cap does not influence the tone whatsoever.

Tone_Terrific
07-15-2013, 06:00 PM
The Tone knob was all the way closed of course. All the way open the tone cap does not influence the tone whatsoever.
Yep.
Sometimes I wonder if players grasp that.
So what effect does using a bumblebee have vs any other cap of the same value?
I know the resonant freq is affected by cap value and if one insists on a certain tone with a fully closed pot the value matters but, since rolled off tone is not one of my fav sounds, I just cannot get the fuss about caps.
The .002, in the test, is all I would need.
Want duller tone? Use a bigger cap.
OTOH, if you want wah effect or have to have a certain sound at a certain pot position, try them all, but don't expect magic from anything other than what happens to work, for you.

SW33THAND5
07-15-2013, 06:07 PM
The stock pickups in a Studio can get muddy. A pickup swap is probably your best bet. Upgrade to 50's wiring and change the pots to 500K and swap out the caps. It'll get you close.

This... it will get you where you want to go!