PDA

View Full Version : Fender rumble 350 vs 150?

lelouch
07-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Hi everyone. I'm going to start playing the bass soon, and I've narrowed my amp choices down to the rumble 150 and 350. However, there is one thing I'd like to clear up: which amp is better for gigs?

The 350 has more power (350 watts) but the 150 has a larger speaker, a 15 inch speaker. The 350 has 2 tens. Some people I've talked to say to buy the 350 because it has more power. Others say to buy the 150, since it has a larger speaker. I'm kinda confused now.

Can anyone offer their opinions and whatnot? I'm planning on joining my church band soon with my bass and bass amp.

jo2012
07-18-2013, 10:55 PM
The 350 definitely sounds tighter and clearer because of the 2x10 setup. That would be my personal choice.

bigtone23
07-19-2013, 01:44 AM
More power and a 2x10 makes for a much better gigging amp.

RandallPink
07-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Neither. There are several better choices in my opinion. The few that I've ever played through has been garbage. Fender seems to get a pass in quality on the bass side due to their reputation on the guitar side.
I'm not the only one who feels this way. Go over to talkbass and you'll see the general consensus is "garbage".

lelouch
07-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Neither. There are several better choices in my opinion. The few that I've ever played through has been garbage. Fender seems to get a pass in quality on the bass side due to their reputation on the guitar side.
I'm not the only one who feels this way. Go over to talkbass and you'll see the general consensus is "garbage".

Can you recommend some other bass amps?

RandallPink
07-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Can you recommend some other bass amps?

I'm probably being harsh as the Rumble series is their budget series. But for what you pay for those, there are better options that aren't considered "budget" or "beginner".

My first suggestion would be
Gallien-Krueger MB200 with a 1x12 cab would be a good gig setup and not break the bank. And you could always upgrade the cab later if you ever wanted to.

If you are set on a combo similar to the Rumble 150

Gallien-Krueger MB115 or
Ampeg 115ba

I've heard good things about Genz Benz but have never used them.

Jack Keck
07-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Are you able to audition these amps? If so, find someone who can show you some things to play, go to the store, find a comfortable bass and check them out for yourself. If the person who can show you some things to play can go with you, so much the better.

BTW, I know a respected gigging bassist where I live uses a Rumble 350 and loves it. My amp is a GK MB 115. 200 watts, 15" speaker, 35 lb. That last thing is super important to me because I am a 61 y/o heart diseased, retired pencil pusher.

harpinon
07-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Glad randallpink said it first. Never played one that sounded great.
Its really hard to find a great bass combo anymore.
After a lot of amps I settled with a hartke ha3500. 350 watts. 4x10 combo. Serious gigging amp.
If you can find an swr red head combo cheep enough...that's great also.

powermatt99
07-21-2013, 06:28 PM
If you're willing to look at the used market you can find MUCH better amps for about the same price. We have a Rumble 350 at my church. It is mediocre, at best. I would prefer to go direct with my 11rack and monitor through the wedges than to use the Rumble. My local Music Go Round usually has a nice selection of decent bass amplification options--both combos and head/cabs. Talk Bass has a nice "Emporium" section that is worth a look, though they are bass cork-sniffers there like we are guitar cork-sniffers here.

murryw
07-28-2013, 02:50 PM
There are many, many ways to go with bass amps, and I have certainly played some good ones. I owned a Fender 150 for a short time and then got rid of it like a hot rock. First of all, do you want two bass amps? One for gigs, and one for home practice? Because while the Fender 150 is quite nice for home practice, it is useless elsewhere - wayyy too underpowered. Indeed, you really can't gig under 300 watts without splicing in the pa - and that's a drag - you lose control of your volume because the sound guy will have a heart attack if you turn up while connected to the PA. Bottom line is, the Fender 150 is not a practical option - unless you're buying two amps.