PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Monsters White Lightning (Supro clone) first impressions

naveed211
07-31-2013, 09:32 PM
I got my White Lightning today from Pedal Monsters. Here's what I think about it...

First, upon opening the package, I'll echo what someone else mentioned that the paint quality could be a little bit better. It felt almost like a matte finish, as it wasn't as glossy as the paint on pretty much any other pedal you'd buy. Maybe this was Jason's (from Pedal Monsters) intent, but it was a little weird.

Tonally, this is a very dark pedal. I have the tone control completely maxed for it's most trebly sound, and it still has nowhere near the bite of my LTD SR.
I will say the White Lightning is just a good overdrive. I've never played on a Supro, but from what I've heard it seems to get that raw overdriven type sound.

What surprised me is that Jason has said the WL has more gain on tap than the JHS Superbolt. This doesn't seem true, at least from the demos of the Superbolt I've heard. In fact, the WL doesn't get nearly as wild and exaggerated at high gains as what I've heard of the Superbolt. It never really gets into that heavy splattery almost fuzz range. Even with the gain maxed, it still has a classic old amp-sounding overdrive.

The WL has pretty good note clarity. The best part of it is that it stacks really well. I ran it after my Barber and my Fat Boost and I think this is where it really shined. The two pedals before it brought the bite, and rock n' roll ensued.

The White Lightning seems like it'll stay on my pedal board, probably as the third pedal in line to make my rock rhythm sound and to add beef to my LTD SR and Fat Boost combo. Worth checking out for a complimentary piece, though probably couldn't be the only drive on the board.

JimboMansonMB-1
07-31-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the review! I've been waiting to hear someone's thoughts on the White Lightning, especially as it pertains to the Superbolt - was wondering if adding a WL would give me anything more or different than I've got now with my Superbolt, but it sounds like they're practically about the same.

naveed211
07-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the review! I've been waiting to hear someone's thoughts on the White Lightning, especially as it pertains to the Superbolt - was wondering if adding a WL would give me anything more or different than I've got now with my Superbolt, but it sounds like they're practically about the same.

How close does your Superbolt sound to your Supro amp?

Rumblefish
08-01-2013, 01:21 AM
I have several Supro's and they are not high gain amps.They are very dark sounding in a very good way.If you want classic blues tone,they're perfect for that.Do a spkr out mod(inexpensive and easy to do)and open up a lot more tone options.I've tried some of the favorite Supro imitation pedals and none of them can really nail a convincing supro tone.They do add some of the nature or character though.

naveed211
08-01-2013, 09:54 AM
I have several Supro's and they are not high gain amps.They are very dark sounding in a very good way.

I suppose that would describe the White Lightning, then. I've been thinking about picking up a Supro for my next amp, but until then the White Lightning is a nice "change of pace tone."

JimboMansonMB-1
08-07-2013, 11:13 PM
How close does your Superbolt sound to your Supro amp?

Close. It's similarly dark, but gainier than my actual amp gets. Like Rumblefish said, I love my Superbolt just for adding some oomph to the original sound.