PDA

View Full Version : Flying with guitar pedals....

flyingvees
08-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Guys,
Have a one off gig. Need to carry only a wah, overdrive and tuner. Was wondering if you guys had tried to carry such items in your checked luggage. I would hate to get to security and have them thrown out as potential hazardous materials.

Thanks!

FloridaSam
08-12-2013, 12:54 PM
As long as it isn't this pedal you'll be fine. It is a federal crime to transport this pedal over state lines.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8219/8299663712_0e41b90489_z.jpg

tiktok
08-12-2013, 12:56 PM
I've taken my pedalboard as a carry on without problems. They will open it and swab it for explosives residue in most cases.

Peteyvee
08-12-2013, 01:07 PM
I've taken pedals in my carry on and every single time, they pull me out of line, x-ray them again, swab them (and usually my shoes too) for explosives, ask me a few questions and let me go on with my trip. And every single time it's happened (about 8 times at last count), Ms Vee has sat in the waiting area, looked at me and laughed while they do it.

She can afford to laugh. She's got some kind of security clearance card and they just say "have a nice flight ma'am" and wave her through...then they yank me out of line... I've tried the "I'm with her" routine, but they say "it'll just take a minute sir. You won't miss your flight." When they get done, I thank them for being careful. I figure it's better than saying "you stupid mothereffers, those are effects pedals for guitar. See the effin guitar right there in it's case that you didn't even bother to look at? WTF do you think they are?"

My suggestion is that if you have batteries in them, pull them out before packing them and leave them at home...

Tonekat
08-12-2013, 01:40 PM
If they ask "what is this?", lean in close and in a conspiratorial tone of voice, say "What is this you ask? This, my friend, is a device capable of mastering time and space....it can move mountains by altering atoms...it can wreak havoc and blow you away!"

I'm sure you will have no problems after that.

Peteyvee
08-12-2013, 02:01 PM
If they ask "what is this?", lean in close and in a conspiratorial tone of voice, say "What is this you ask? This, my friend, is a device capable of mastering time and space....it can move mountains by altering atoms...it can wreak havoc and blow you away!"

I'm sure you will have no problems after that.

You stick to that and I'll stick to looking suitably scared and saying "yes sir, no sir" and "they're guitar effects pedals, sir." ;)

Fatboy666
08-12-2013, 02:14 PM
You will be stopped and taken out of the line

But if you're polite and explain what they are, they will let you through

I once had to convince a TSA agent that my congas were NOT nuclear warheads. But I had to unpack them and take all my dirty laundry from the tour out of them.

flyingvees
08-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Truthfully guys, since Ill be carrying my incase bag with dano strat, I think Im gonna just ship usps the couple of pedals I need. Dont want to get a full cavity search...haha

Sneaky
08-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Don't take pedals with names like "Land Mine" and "Mail Bomb".

Peteyvee
08-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Truthfully guys, since Ill be carrying my incase bag with dano strat, I think Im gonna just ship usps the couple of pedals I need. Dont want to get a full cavity search...haha

After the last time, I've been shipping my pedals too... ;) They won't cavity search you (at least they haven't yet :rotflmao), but they will usually yank you out of line and waste 10 minutes of your time... this has happened to me at LAX, Orlando, Nashville, Tampa, San Antonio, O'Hare, Albuquerque, and I forget the other one (maybe Vegas or Dallas), so I think it's pretty universal..

Stevil
08-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Don't take pedals with names like "Land Mine" and "Mail Bomb".

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/m/mOiNA_iN9IQvy0Ov_jVXJpQ/140.jpg
http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38197&d=1359397265&thumb=1

Clorenzo
08-12-2013, 02:55 PM
I've taken all sorts of electronic devices, including pcb's without a box, large transformers, loudspeakers with big magnets, loudspeaker filters with lots of huge coils... What I always do is tell in advance to the person looking at the screen "I've got some electronic equipment in here", so it doesn't look like I'm trying to sneak something through. Then as tiktok said they open it, ask what it is, swab it for explosive residue, make you wait for a minute while they check it and that's that.