PDA

View Full Version : Dolly Parton - Jolene. Well, this is different..

Macleod
08-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Never been a Dolly Parton fan. The only county I really ever dug was Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and bits of others from The Highwaymen.

Someone slowed down Jolene. This is.. different, to say the least.

It SURE does put a different spin on Jolene...:eeks

CzYHllLv_IE#at=181

Tiny Montgomery
08-18-2013, 02:38 PM
I beg your parton?

Boris Bubbanov
08-18-2013, 02:50 PM
I've often thought that a good record is still gonna be listenable at just about any speed.

Many a part I learned with the speed turned down on the turntable. I got to where I kinda liked it better.

grapeshot
08-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Awesome!

KiwiJoe
08-18-2013, 03:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Bp9an.gif

It sounds like a guy singing, asking Jolene not to take his man, which implies a whole different kind of lurve triangle.

A different spin, indeed.

Oh, and it's "Parton".

rowdyyates
08-18-2013, 04:06 PM
I don't think that's Dolly slowed down. I like it.

sonicspackle
08-18-2013, 04:42 PM
I think Dolly has some fantastic songs!

Noah
08-18-2013, 04:49 PM
To me, it shows how amazing her voice is.

Someone actually slowed the song down several years ago by using a record player...

doz1QJ7LwjA

imsoangry
08-18-2013, 04:54 PM
The melody and vocal delivery are killer, but the slut-shaming and "men can't help themselves" themes make for a rather messed up view of sexuality, to say the least.

EDIT: I also forgot the part where apparently women are just competing against each other. Bleck.

DRS
08-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Dolly wrote this song from a real life incident where she was concerned a teller at their bank had eyes for her husband. Women do compete against women. Sad, but true.

BobbyRay
08-18-2013, 05:27 PM
The melody and vocal delivery are killer, but the slut-shaming and "men can't help themselves" themes make for a rather messed up view of sexuality, to say the least.

EDIT: I also forgot the part where apparently women are just competing against each other. Bleck.

Jaded?

KiwiJoe
08-18-2013, 05:34 PM

http://i.imgur.com/X5bSB.gif

Jim Soloway
08-18-2013, 05:42 PM
We did the same thing with 9 to 5 when it first came out. It was amazing.

27sauce
08-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Sounds like Everlast.

alainguitars
08-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Love the song but always wonder how a man sings from a woman's point of view? I love and play "Angel from montgomery" to myself but would it fly in a club? Just asking.

rowdyyates
08-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Well, maybe it is Dolly! It does show what a magnificent voice she had. Slowing down like that magnifies any vocal inconsistencies, and there really aren't any there. Her songwriting chops are underestimated, too. People forget that she wrote "I Will Always Love You", and sang it better than anybody, including Whitney.

crambone
08-18-2013, 05:49 PM
I beg your parton?

lol

27sauce
08-18-2013, 05:51 PM
We did the same thing with 9 to 5 when it first came out. It was amazing.

I can't stop laughing!!! :brick:phones:aok:bumpbump

Macleod
08-18-2013, 05:59 PM
It sounds like a guy singing, asking Jolene not to take his man, which implies a whole different kind of lurve triangle.

A different spin, indeed.

Oh, and it's "Parton".

Exactly. :aok

Fixed the spelling, thanks.

auburn-grad
08-18-2013, 06:18 PM
The White Stripes did a version of that song that was really good.

imsoangry
08-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Jaded?

Not jaded - just angry. :aok Every time I hear that song, Jolene is the only member of that triangle I have any sort of sympathy for.

gtrfinder
08-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Fellas, I think we're burying the lead here.
Why would the dude married to Dolly Parton want run around on her? What a dumbass.

Todd Lynch
08-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Whatever it is (linked recording in OP), I dig it.

Boris Bubbanov
08-18-2013, 07:56 PM
I don't think that's Dolly slowed down. I like it.

Maybe I listened to this song a lot more than you have over the years, but I picked up all the key cues in there; I knew that absolutely was Dolly.

I guess I can see, if a listener had seldom heard the song at full speed.

++

I've heard some women blues shouters down in this range. Koko Taylor and Willie Mae Thornton were not sopranos. Sarah Vaughn. It isn't exclusive male territory in my view. If Geddy can do what he does, turnabout is way fair.

+

But on another theme, I don't see why a guy should not be able to do "Angels from Montgomery". If a citizen of some other country can sing our anthem, and a woman can sing a song written from a man's view, why can't a guy sing something written by a gal?

Sunbreak Music
08-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Well, maybe it is Dolly! It does show what a magnificent voice she had. Slowing down like that magnifies any vocal inconsistencies, and there really aren't any there. Her songwriting chops are underestimated, too. People forget that she wrote "I Will Always Love You", and sang it better than anybody, including Whitney.

A couple of months ago one of the satellite stations that airs old "country shows" aired an episode which I think was her television debut. She sang "Jolene", and it was absolutely amazing.

She was introduced as "an up and coming songwriter". ;-)

korby
08-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Dolly rocks and was always cool . Probably wrote more hit songs than anyone .

_aU5gafxI84

Tiny Montgomery
08-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Maybe I listened to this song a lot more than you have over the years, but I picked up all the key cues in there; I knew that absolutely was Dolly.

I guess I can see, if a listener had seldom heard the song at full speed.

++

I've heard some women blues shouters down in this range. Koko Taylor and Willie Mae Thornton were not sopranos. Sarah Vaughn. It isn't exclusive male territory in my view. If Geddy can do what he does, turnabout is way fair.

+

But on another theme, I don't see why a guy should not be able to do "Angels from Montgomery". If a citizen of some other country can sing our anthem, and a woman can sing a song written from a man's view, why can't a guy sing something written by a gal?

"Angel (singular) From Montgomery" was written by a man named John Prine, who also released the original version on his first album.

walterw
08-18-2013, 10:19 PM
"Angel (singular) From Montgomery" was written by a man named John Prine, who also released the original version on his first album.
yep, but the very first line of the song is "i am an old woman, named after my mother", so you know right away that this is just a guy telling a story.

the slowed-down jolene to me sounds kinda like michael macdonald after a sex-change operation, but i have to concur with rowdyyates, even slowed down it's a flawless performance full of vocal nuance that might slip by unnoticed at regular speed.

Boris Bubbanov
08-18-2013, 11:27 PM

Big John Prine fan.

My understanding was John wrote the song hoping one of the fine lady performers under contract would record it.

eXqFFfVpnhQ

And soon enough one did, a mighty fine one at that.

Hard to count all the Nashville bound guys who wrote songs and send them to established artists, to try and get their foot in the door. Even Neil Young submitted a "ladies song" to Cher if I remember right.

I also wanna say, I sure miss Steve Goodman. Seemed to me, maybe my imagination, that the light went out of John's eyes when Steve died so young. I don't know.

Dave Orban
08-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Jolene is a great song, and I like both the original and the slowed-down versions.

evildik
08-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Jack White covers it.

Stevil
08-19-2013, 11:42 AM
in related news if you speed Bruse Springsteen - I'm on Fire to 45 rpm it sounds kinda like Dolly Parton singing it.
3AtNecByo1o