PDA

View Full Version : "Elysium" or "Meet the Millers": Which to see?

2HBStrat
08-19-2013, 09:13 AM
I'm hoping to have some time off this week to see a movie, and I'm interested in, based on the trailers, "Elysium" and "Meet the Millers." Both look good, although totally different.....which should I see?

DrumBob
08-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Go see the new Oprah movie, The Butler, for something with some substance, and skip the mindless comedy and explosion movies.

Luke
08-19-2013, 09:19 AM
I plan on seeing both, this fall, for a buck each via Redbox.

2HBStrat
08-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Go see the new Oprah movie, The Butler, for something with some substance, and skip the mindless comedy and explosion movies.

That wasn't one of the choices...

I plan on seeing both, this fall, for a buck each via Redbox.

Yeah, that's all well and good, but it's not the same as going to a theater to see a movie IMO.

Luke
08-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Yeah, that's all well and good, but it's not the same as going to a theater to see a movie IMO.

Exactly. No one talking on the phone, consessions cost 5%, all the while in my underwear only.

fogman
08-19-2013, 10:10 AM
saw Elysium the other night.
It was good.
I'd give it 7 out of 10 stars.

has the same feel as District 9

Judyis#1
08-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Here's the real question - do you like Jennifer Aniston shirtless, or Matt Damon shirtless? There is your answer.

Frankly, I would go to see "Meet The Millers" because I like the concept of Aniston playing a stripper, and any big-name Hollywood actress who accepts such a challenging role should be rewarded at the box-office. :dude

Stike
08-19-2013, 10:12 AM

Where's the snob emoticon?

As for the two choices I've only seen the Millers trailer. While they aren't top billed in the cast Nick Offerman and Kathyrn Hahn IMO are fantastic comedic actors.

And then there's Jen Aniston's butt........

MGT
08-19-2013, 11:28 AM
I don't watch dumb comedies and Elysium looks good to me.

Yes, the Butler looks best but it wasn't on the list!

SPROING!
08-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Lets see...
Elysium (comments censored for fear of a ban)
Meet the millers (Jennifer Aniston in her underwear.

Easy call for me.

TNJ
08-19-2013, 11:32 AM
"2 for Meet the Millers, please"

:D

S.
j

BedroomRockStar01
08-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Elysium was the biggest disappointment I've had at the movies in a long time. I loved District 9. Elysium just wasn't good.

I can't speak for We're the Millers, but I'll probably check it out before it leaves the theater.

2HBStrat
08-19-2013, 11:42 AM
I think "Meet the Millers" would be better on TV than "Elysium" would be, so I may pay to see "Elysium" and slip into "Meet the Millers" when "Elysium" is over......is that wrong?
http://bulldozer00.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/wrong.png?w=595

mmolteratx
08-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Elysium was the biggest disappointment I've had at the movies in a long time. I loved District 9. Elysium just wasn't good.

I can't speak for We're the Millers, but I'll probably check it out before it leaves the theater.

Same story on Elysium. I absolutely loved District 9, so was stoked to see it, but I barely made it through the whole movie. Incredibly bloated and poorly paced, and it takes itself way too seriously. Characters were all flat and forgettable, and Jodie Foster was just terrible and severely underutilized. The visuals were phenomenal though, so it would probably be the one to see in theaters if you're going to bother. That and Meet the Millers looks just awful.

FractalGarden
08-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Lets see...
Elysium (comments censored for fear of a ban)
Meet the millers (Jennifer Aniston in her underwear.

Easy call for me.

Your username is quite relevant.

Doodad
08-19-2013, 12:02 PM
I had not heard of "We're the Millers" so I had to go look. Looks awful. Just my opinion I know, but Elysium gets my vote.

SPROING!
08-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Your username is quite relevant.

You should see me post in Katy Perry threads. :o

rcl
08-19-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm all for sci-fi. Often movies I like other people choke on. For these two movies, it comes down to one question...which one would you want to use the pause button on and which one is better on the big screen. Nuff said.

PTS
08-19-2013, 12:44 PM

I'll second that opinion. District 9 was awesome, but Blomkamp's new film is disappointing.

Jarrett
08-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Elyisum

I liked District 9 and this movie. I can appreciate the fact that they are two different movies :)

telefactor
08-19-2013, 12:48 PM
comedy movies 99% of the time are a waste....
have developed a dislike for Jodie Foster...I like Matt Damon but this looks like a Tom Cruise movie so I won't go...that is how much I despise Tom Cruise movies...

will pass on both...

chrisr777
08-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Exactly. No one talking on the phone, consessions cost 5%, all the while in my underwear only.

There's a picture I didn't need first thing in the morning.

I agree with your idea of Meet the Millers being the better TV movie. I saw a preview showing and it was better than I expected, but things blowing up would be better on the big screen.

grapeshot
08-19-2013, 01:07 PM
I enjoyed Elysium. I vote for that or Pacific Rim if you haven't seen that yet.

2HBStrat
08-19-2013, 01:11 PM
I enjoyed Elysium. I vote for that or Pacific Rim if you haven't seen that yet.

Does anyone else find the title 'Pacific Rim' to be, in a weird way, vaguely sexual?

67blackcherry
08-19-2013, 02:32 PM
I'm all for sci-fi. Often movies I like other people choke on. For these two movies, it comes down to one question...which one would you want to use the pause button on and which one is better on the big screen. Nuff said.

Jennifer Aniston's stripper scene....on the big screen....PRICELESS!!!

It was very funny - my girlfriend and I were cracking up hysterically. Could we have waited for Redbox and paid $1?
Yes.
Did Jennifer Aniston's smoking body look even better on the big screen?
YES!!! :aok:aok

wahfreak
08-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Jennifer Aniston's stripper scene....on the big screen....PRICELESS!!!

It was very funny - my girlfriend and I were cracking up hysterically. Could we have waited for Redbox and paid $1?
Yes.
Did Jennifer Aniston's smoking body look even better on the big screen?
YES!!! :aok:aok

Yup. My wife and I saw this with no real preconceived notion what it was about. We laughed the whole time. Some parts are kind of stupid but that's the kind of movie it is. We enjoyed it.

BedroomRockStar01
08-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Elyisum

I liked District 9 and this movie. I can appreciate the fact that they are two different movies :)

I wasn't looking for another District 9, but I was looking for another relatively smart sci-fi movie. I didn't get either one. And I'm not one to complain about movies too much. I'll generally watch anything besides things like the Scary Movie Franchise, Saw, any of the "based on real events" horror movies (Paranormal Activity, etc.), or any movies involving choreography. Half the time I'll even watch those, but I go in knowing it's going to be bad.

POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT! (Not really giving anything away, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.)

Elysium was just lazy to me. They rushed the plot because they were trying to fit enough elements into the movie to make you actually care about the characters, but how many times have we seen the whole "childhood friends grown up and reconnected" thing? It was lazy just to throw that in. Plus, there was so little interaction between them, that the intended effect was lost, and I ended up not caring what happened to either one of them or the child. The whole plot just felt recycled in a very obvious way.

On top of that, you've got a great actor like Damon and you waste him by giving him almost nothing to do with all that talent, other than walk around in a robot suit. Jodie Foster was awful, and I don't know whether it was the script they gave her to work with or if she just decided to play that character in the most obvious way possible. She's much better than that role would have you believe.

I could ramble on about problems I had with the story itself, things that didn't make sense or that I just couldn't stretch my disbelief far enough to accept, but those things happen with plenty of movies and can be covered up by good acting and direction. This one just didn't have any of it for me. If it had involved lesser actors and a weaker director, I would have gone in thinking it was going to be a bland, typical sci fi movie, and I would've left getting exactly what I planned for. Instead, I went in expecting something above average, potentially great, and got left with a major let down. Maybe my expectations were just out of whack, but for who they had to work with and the good will built up from District 9, they really blew it on Elysium.

claudel
08-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Hm.

The Butler or The Butt.

Decisions, decisions.

Elysium can wait until dollar day.

Greggy
08-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Yup. My wife and I saw this with no real preconceived notion what it was about. We laughed the whole time. Some parts are kind of stupid but that's the kind of movie it is. We enjoyed it.

GF and I saw We're the Millers last week. I have no Ragrets for going, funny movie.

teletran1175
08-19-2013, 04:33 PM
I really enjoyed Elysium.

frickengruvin
08-19-2013, 04:38 PM
I actually saw We're The Millers today...not a bad flick...I would recommend it...There's a couple of surprises in there...
I guess you could enjoy any movie at home...Today was a theatre day, and life gives enough drama, so I check out a comedy when I can!

Polynitro
08-19-2013, 06:00 PM
funny I though The Butler looked predictable, forced, and mindless.
thats better to read as a book than see as a movie.

Id wait to see The Family.

newking70
08-19-2013, 07:11 PM
they'll both be on dvd in about a week. :red

SeeMoore
08-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Only reason I go see a movie is for the mindless fun, if I wanted social dribble I'd just watch the news for free.

My vote is Meet the Millers

Mangy71
08-19-2013, 08:01 PM
When I first saw the previews for "Meet the Millers" I thought it looked terrible, but my wife wanted to see it. It was actually a pleasant surprise. Sure it was a dumb comedy, but had a lot of funny parts in it.

I actually liked it better than "The Hangover" and "Bridesmaids" and everyone else acted like those were the funniest movies EVER!

VCuomo
08-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Elysium - but I'm biased, it was filmed using cameras from the company that I work for.

mmolteratx
08-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Elysium - but I'm biased, it was filmed using cameras from the company that I work for.

You work for RED? Killer cameras, and my buddy who's into film making won't ever shut up about how badly he wants an Epic any time we start talking about cameras.

stratguy23
08-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Nick Offerman

He is amazing! My bro saw We're the Millers and said it was very funny, so I'd pick that, probably gonna see it here soon.

ahcleinad
08-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Elysium was alright in my opinion. Definitely not a movie I'd watch again though.