PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul style guitar Ground?

nsriley
02-15-2006, 11:49 AM
I have an odd question. I am taking an overseas Les Paul type copy guitar and dropping in an RS kit to upgrade everthing from the pots, switch and input jack. One thing I have noticed when looking at the control cavity is there is no ground wiring running from the bridge to the control cavity. I thought this was odd seeing that every other LP style guitar I've had was grounded this way. I'd hav eto try and drill a hole to run one, but would rather not. Is that typical gound needed, or can I ground the system another way. The guitar is hum free as is now(before I start taking and replaceing it all).

-Peace
-Nate

Junior
02-18-2006, 05:15 AM
If the noise level goes down when you touch the strings, you're cool. Often the overseas makers run the ground wire from the bridge to the bridge pickup cavity.

Do you need it? Not if your guitar isn't "noisy".

Mark Robinson
02-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Gibson runs a wire from the treble-side stop post, into the control area. I think the drilling is done by going through the jack hole. You would need a pretty long drill, and a way to secure the instrument while doing the work. It is probably already done.

gdomeier
08-02-2006, 07:31 PM
My lp deluxe (duncan p90s) has less buzz then I touch the strings. I thought that meant is isn't grounded correctly. You seem to be saying otherwise.

Is that normal and correct behavior for a properly grounded lp?

If the noise level goes down when you touch the strings, you're cool. Often the overseas makers run the ground wire from the bridge to the bridge pickup cavity.

Do you need it? Not if your guitar isn't "noisy".

Jack Briggs
08-02-2006, 08:00 PM
My lp deluxe (duncan p90s) has less buzz then I touch the strings. I thought that meant is isn't grounded correctly. You seem to be saying otherwise.

Is that normal and correct behavior for a properly grounded lp?

Buzz going away or reducing when you touch the strings = proper ground.:AOK