PDA

View Full Version : Moog Minifooger

Pages : 1 [2]

btdvox
10-21-2013, 10:49 PM
The Moogerfooger 12-stage phaser is my all-time favorite phaser. When I saw this thread, I had really hoped that they had perhaps taken the most commonly-used aspects of the MF-103 and had created a Minifooger (pedalboard-friendly) unit. Does anyone know if they have any intention of doing anything like that?

One of my favorites too.

Chonny
10-22-2013, 12:56 AM
Im really damn excited to hear the delay.

cosmic_ape
10-22-2013, 01:42 AM
That drive is on my radar now!

Hector Arcadius
10-22-2013, 01:47 AM
Kind of underwhelming IMO.

"Underwhelming" is... an understatement! If Boss were releasing a drive pedal sounding like this, TGP crowd would be throwing rocks at them, all day long!

splatt
10-22-2013, 05:55 AM
"Underwhelming" is... an understatement! If Boss were releasing a drive pedal sounding like this, TGP crowd would be throwing rocks at them, all day long!

i haven't played the drive, yet, but..... it sounds great & unique to me;
i usually stay far away from "drive"-pedals.

gotta say, though, that there is really no such thing as a "TGP crowd",
when it comes to individual choices in gear, music etc.....
you're imagining things.

KoskineN
10-22-2013, 07:16 AM
The Moogerfooger 12-stage phaser is my all-time favorite phaser. When I saw this thread, I had really hoped that they had perhaps taken the most commonly-used aspects of the MF-103 and had created a Minifooger (pedalboard-friendly) unit. Does anyone know if they have any intention of doing anything like that?

I love my MF Phaser! It would have been nice to have a smaller version of it, the the big one is just badass! (as the other Moogerfoogers!)

papersun
10-22-2013, 08:41 AM
gotta say, though, that there is really no such thing as a "TGP crowd".
bless your heart.

vlammie
10-22-2013, 01:26 PM

I'm pretty sure they certainly would like to sell you a product like that... :beer

GovernorSilver
10-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Kind of underwhelming IMO.

I guess you prefer one of the other Drive demos posted on this thread.

Tomo El Gato
10-22-2013, 05:06 PM
i haven't played the drive, yet, but..... it sounds great & unique to me;
i usually stay far away from "drive"-pedals.

Same here. I'm actually mostly interested in this pedal because of the resonant LP filter. I only wish Q was fully adjustable. The drive part sounds interesting, though.

GovernorSilver
10-23-2013, 12:10 PM
CME's demo of the Delay, focusing on expression pedal usage:

PewcEVgW-7c

GibEpi89
10-23-2013, 12:46 PM
wow, im just shocked to see something made by Moog for less than 6 hundo

drod2045
10-23-2013, 02:45 PM
CME's demo of the Delay, focusing on expression pedal usage:

PewcEVgW-7c

I want to see more about that TELE!!

yurka723
10-23-2013, 06:16 PM
These pedals have peaked my interest...But imo all the demo videos are pretty horrible.

Papajuice
10-23-2013, 07:11 PM
I want to see more about that TELE!!

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/electric/brands/fender-custom-shop/telecaster/fender-custom-shop-telecaster-double-tv-jones-w-bigsby-vintage-white/

facon
10-24-2013, 08:47 PM
I got my MF Drive a couple days ago. Spent around 4 hours with it so far. At first I wasn't digging it, but after spending time to learn it's kinks, I really like it. It has the gain range of a Rat, with Moog lows and this sort of present, dynamic midrange. Really cool!

It reminds me of a reprioritized Moogerfooger Low Pass Filter based around the drive section. I prefer the filter on the MF Drive to the Low Pass. Using an LFO to control the filter is just awesome!!

EDIT: Spent more time with it today. Absolutely love it. One thing to be careful of is using the settings in the manual. Too much gain out of this pedal and it starts to give a phasery buzzy effect. Like crossover distortion mixed with a synth sound. It's a cool effect, but may be a turn off for some. IMO, this pedal really shines on guitar using lower gain and a high level. The note clarity with the Peak switch up along with the gain is pretty damn awesome.

wrightdude
10-26-2013, 05:29 AM
PGS Demo of the OD:

_EKvDs7bdAM

Joab
10-30-2013, 10:50 PM
I got my MF Drive a couple days ago. Spent around 4 hours with it so far. At first I wasn't digging it, but after spending time to learn it's kinks, I really like it. It has the gain range of a Rat, with Moog lows and this sort of present, dynamic midrange. Really cool!

It reminds me of a reprioritized Moogerfooger Low Pass Filter based around the drive section. I prefer the filter on the MF Drive to the Low Pass. Using an LFO to control the filter is just awesome!!

EDIT: Spent more time with it today. Absolutely love it. One thing to be careful of is using the settings in the manual. Too much gain out of this pedal and it starts to give a phasery buzzy effect. Like crossover distortion mixed with a synth sound. It's a cool effect, but may be a turn off for some. IMO, this pedal really shines on guitar using lower gain and a high level. The note clarity with the Peak switch up along with the gain is pretty damn awesome.

Where'd you get it from?? I can't find anywhere with them in stock!!

facon
10-31-2013, 12:21 AM
Where'd you get it from?? I can't find anywhere with them in stock!!

I ordered it from Sweetwater a couple minutes after Moog launched the release email. I'm not sure if they still have any in stock.

Every guitar player has been floored by the tones we're getting out of the pedal in my studio. This is a keeper for sure.

Joab
10-31-2013, 02:30 AM
I ordered it from Sweetwater a couple minutes after Moog launched the release email. I'm not sure if they still have any in stock.

Every guitar player has been floored by the tones we're getting out of the pedal in my studio. This is a keeper for sure.

Sweet I'll send some emails and see if I can get my hands on one :)

HosaMogami
10-31-2013, 05:03 PM
So I played all of these pedals at the Brooklyn stomp box exhibit. They were all top notch in my opinion. The delay is definitely going to be a no brainer for a lot of people at $199 when it hits stock this November. I will definitely be adding it as a second delay to support my Memory Lane.

I was definitely impressed with the trem and ring mod as well. I have a moogerfooger MF 102 ring mod for that covers both trem and ring mod and I know that pedal quite well by now. And I can tell you that the Minifoogers will stack right up with the big box Moogerfoogers for sure.

I fell in love with the one I was least excited for, the new MF Boost. It adds a little moog flavor or a decent bit of gain. And when bringing an expression pedal into play you can also use it as a volume pedal. Which for someone like me who has a couple of moogerfoogers already and a few spare moog EP 2 expression pedals is great when I don't necessarily require a full time dedicated volume pedal taking up real estate on my pedalboard.

yellowecho
10-31-2013, 05:49 PM
And when bringing an expression pedal into play you can also use it as a volume pedal.
Can you elaborate on this? Does it work as a volume pedal when the Boost is off? How does it interact with the gain?

Joab
11-01-2013, 01:42 AM
Great little write up, cheers for that ^^^^ :)

By the way, all of them bar the delay are up for sale on Ebay stores now. Get into them!!

Empros
11-01-2013, 07:25 AM
Gonna have to head down to Moog Audio and try these out. The Drive and Delay sound very, very, very cool.

stewthom
11-01-2013, 08:27 AM
To HosaMogami: would you say that the Mini Trem more or less duplicates the trem capabilities of the MoogerFooger ring mod, or is it more of its own effect?

HosaMogami
11-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Can you elaborate on this? Does it work as a volume pedal when the Boost is off? How does it interact with the gain?

You would have to have the boost engaged. But I personally don't mind that part of it as I wouldn't always be using it as a volume pedal. And the boost sounds really nice, similar to the active drive sections on the low pass and ring mod moogerfoogers.

HosaMogami
11-01-2013, 03:44 PM
To HosaMogami: would you say that the Mini Trem more or less duplicates the trem capabilities of the MoogerFooger ring mod, or is it more of its own effect?

I would say that it does what the MF102 does and then some as far a trem capability. If you were hot for a dedicated trem pedal, you'd be a fool not to check one out. It's just a little more direct and tactile dialing in trem sounds than on the 102. But don't get me wrong, I'm completely satisfied with my 102, the Minifoogers are simply just more stage friendly.

facon
11-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Sweet I'll send some emails and see if I can get my hands on one :)

Just got an email that Sweetwater has the MF Drive in stock.

Joab
11-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Just got an email that Sweetwater has the MF Drive in stock.

I just got the very same email :) Thanks for letting me know!!

Empros
11-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Saw them in Moog Audio in Toronto today. The girlfriend wouldn't let me stay and test them out... sigh. Another day.

MJRII
11-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Just got the Trem from CME. Lots of tones in this box. Nice and sturdy box too.

JSteed
11-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Is it too early to start a petition for a Minifooger Phaser?

DocRock
11-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Is it too early to start a petition for a Minifooger Phaser?

+1000000000

KoskineN
11-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Got my MF-Drive yesterday, and I like it very much so far! It sounds good through my Maz 18 and my Orange Rocker 30. It has a lot of bottom and you can get some crazy sounds with the tone and filter knobs. I didn't really tried the "wah" effect yet. I find it hard to describe this pedal. It's like a mix of old school fuzz, a big muff and an amp-like distortion depending on how you set it, but I can easily say that it got heavy tones! It's very easy to get QOTSA sounds, but you can also set it for a cool OD for classic rock stuff. Overall, it got its own thing going on!

It stacks well with an OD pedal like the ARC Klone, and also with an amp's OD(sounds great with the Maz breakup sound!).

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/Analogjoe/B0B8621D-213A-498B-82CF-B56CA448CA87-5398-000006FB96438FDF_zps7ca83ea8.jpg

zetamkiii
11-09-2013, 09:41 PM
That OD is definatly the standout of the entire line. Hopefully something happens that causes moog to cease production of the pedal and the price and prestige skyrockets. Then maybe I'd consider buying it. As it stands, it just not boutique enough for my board.

MJRII
11-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Not to be a jerk, but the logic that you construct is faulty, as you are essentially saying that a boutique pedal is constituted by artificial economic conditions that would cause its price point to "sky rocket." Call me crazy, but I think boutique has more to do with the craft and quality of materials put into a pedal to create a spot on sound quality, rather than artificial factors (e.g. stopping production) that would drive its price up.

If you don't want to buy it because it doesn't fit your sound needs, fair enough. But whether or not Moog stops producing the pedal has nothing to do with whether it is "boutique" or not. A lot of people really love the versatility of the new drive pedal. And hell, I like boutique pedals as well. But not because of limited production leading to inflated pricing (see the 800 spaceman pedals on ebay now or Klons for example), but because of the time, effort, and quality of materials used to fabricate the pedal. Having said that, I don't know if I would call the new Moog Minifoogers boutique. That judgment is not based on economic factors. They seem somewhat mass produced, nothing super special or innovative happening. But they are solid, great sounding, no nonsense effects that offer a lot of versatility and they are pedal board friendly for the gigging musician. So if Moog stops making them tomorrow, they don't automatically become boutique.

KoskineN
11-09-2013, 10:11 PM
^I think he was just trolling. :)

Chonny
11-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Shit, I might have to buy all these. I used to have a Ring mod, phaser and 104z a handful of years ago. Always loved the drive on the delay.

Joab
11-28-2013, 04:40 AM
I've got a demo of the MF Drive on the way, shall post when it's edited and uploaded ;)

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/Joab808/IMG_0954_zpsbd9cc380.jpg (http://s823.photobucket.com/user/Joab808/media/IMG_0954_zpsbd9cc380.jpg.html)

MJRII
11-28-2013, 07:25 AM
^I think he was just trolling. :)

Ah, crap! You're probably right.