PDA

View Full Version : blackface to vox?

Jrwinder635
09-15-2013, 06:00 PM
I own a 1967 Fender princeton reverb all stock besides some cap changes. No Mods. I like it a lot but I cant say I am drooling over it. It does the blackface thing very well but I want something that is EL84 driven and something that can be cranked a little harder without the flub. Has anyone made the switch from a blackface fender to something voxy..maybe an AC15hw, matchless, morgan. I play worship music and I am a big fan of el84 chime. I think the 6v6's get me close, but not all the way. As some know, the value of a vintage blackface princeton is pretty high, which is why I am posting this thread(considering my options for trade).

BTW, I'm playing mainly tele's(american and deluxe wrhb) through a pedal board with endless options(Morning Glory, fulldrive, barber LTD silver, ep booster) when it comes to drive. I just looking for that chime and full sounding dry signal that can take pedals really well.

Thanks!

ozspawn
09-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Try a Kingsley D30.

Jrwinder635
09-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Ill check out some videos, thanks!

Jrwinder635
09-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Anyone else?

kiki_90291
09-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Mesa TA-15 - best of both worlds. I run mine through a 2x10 with Celestion Golds - lots of chimey goodness.

J-Walk
09-15-2013, 07:39 PM
I love blackface Fender tones as much as any and am a pedal guy/worship leader... I'd never get rid of my vintage Fenders, but added a Morgan Abbey 10W Combo (w/ASW Elegante) recently for when I want that British chime. It definitely oozes chime and thick edge of breakup tones and it also takes pedals beautifully. The full sized Morgan cab and 12 inch alnico sound surprisingly big. It mics great too... my only advice would be to make absolutely sure you want to get rid of that BF Fender before doing anything. I am enjoying my Morgan thus far, but would not part with my BF Fenders to buy one. OMMV

ugameus
09-15-2013, 07:46 PM
el84's? chime?

Goodsell Super 17. Give him a call or shoot him an email. He has to have a dealer in the Chicago area. You need to at least try one before making a decision.

Jrwinder635
09-15-2013, 08:53 PM
I love blackface Fender tones as much as any and am a pedal guy/worship leader... I'd never get rid of my vintage Fenders, but added a Morgan Abbey 10W Combo (w/ASW Elegante) recently for when I want that British chime. It definitely oozes chime and thick edge of breakup tones and it also takes pedals beautifully. The full sized Morgan cab and 12 inch alnico sound surprisingly big. It mics great too... my only advice would be to make absolutely sure you want to get rid of that BF Fender before doing anything. I am enjoying my Morgan thus far, but would not part with my BF Fenders to buy one. OMMV

very helpful. Thank you.

Jrwinder635
09-15-2013, 08:54 PM
el84's? chime?

Goodsell Super 17. Give him a call or shoot him an email. He has to have a dealer in the Chicago area. You need to at least try one before making a decision.

perfect, Ill check it out!

Jrwinder635
09-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Lots of helpful info so far. Keep it coming! THANKS!

Capador
09-15-2013, 10:38 PM
I sort of made the switch....I grew up playing blackface amps, so whether i try or not, something about them just resonates with me. Because of that, I found it difficult to bond with vox or Marshall amps, even though I could tell that they lent themselves to chime and overdrive better. I went on a long quest to find something that didn't feel terribly foreign to me but also had the chime and OD characteristics of a vox. I ended with a Dr.Z Maz 18, which was blackface ish, but leaned more to the vox side of things. It was a nice transition amp for a blackface player....it also takes pedals like a champ!

dapeegoo
09-16-2013, 01:21 AM
Another vote for Kingsley d30. Simon can custom make it so that it takes el84, 6l6, 6v6 and 6. Lots of tones in one amp!