PDA

View Full Version : David Gilmour's Trem Arm ???

RMosack
02-17-2006, 05:28 PM
I've read in numerous places that David Gilmour's main CAR stage Strat (the one with the EMGs) has a shortened trem arm with a modified bend. Apparently, he feels this gives him greater control and allows him to palm the arm while playing. (Makes sense to me.)
I've searched the web, but can't seem to get a decent pick of just how short or just how bent. Anybody have a clue?

Todd Lynch
02-17-2006, 07:38 PM
No clue on Dave's arm, but Callaham offers a short trem arm.

TwoGeez
02-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Does this help? http://pinkfloydsound.com/pictures/band/davidgilmour.jpg

RMosack
02-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks.

TwoGeez
02-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Yeah, you can see that the trem arm -- if it was perpendicular to the strings -- hardly goes past the middle pickup on his Strat, quite a bit shorter than usual. Glad it helped you. :AOK

JasonAz
09-06-2013, 11:05 AM
why does he have a short arm? how do you guys like it. Is it short because the arm gets in the way while strumming?

burningyen
09-06-2013, 01:36 PM
why does he have a short arm?
From a 2009 Guitar Player interview:
Is the shortened tremolo arm set up so that you can reach it more easily with your pinky?
Yeah. A lot of guitar players have the arm going through their fingers, and when they want to wiggle it, they have to move their hand up three or four inches. At one point in my career I found that irritating, so I just cut one off with a hacksaw to see what would happen. Itís not like you need that extra length to get the proper amount of leverage if your tremolo system is set up correctly.

lv
09-06-2013, 02:01 PM
These guys make shorter arms - I use the ez-trem and drop-trem in the longer lengths, they are awesome. much more ergonomic compared to a strats normal trem arm.

http://www.stratcat.biz/hardware-tremolo-arms.shtml

JasonAz
09-06-2013, 02:10 PM
i ordered one from killerguitarcomponents.com Looking forward to it

JasonAz
10-20-2013, 07:20 AM
lv. I just order a 4 inch EZ trem. How do you like yours? How does it compare to the normal short wammy gilmour style

Terry McInturff
10-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Sawing off a trem arm is easy, go ahead and buy a few and experiment. The shorter arms result in a stiffer perceived trem action too. I shorten the arm on all TCM's BTW.

JasonAz
10-21-2013, 01:45 PM
I tried hacksawing a stainless steel arm once, it took me like 2 hours...my hacksaw is probably weak though.

RMosack
11-12-2013, 05:35 PM
why does he have a short arm? how do you guys like it. Is it short because the arm gets in the way while strumming?

Shorter arm takes away a lot of the leverage (mechanical advantage due to the long moment arm) of the system and makes the whole shebang a bit stiffer and less sensitive.

Sort of like changing the ratio on your tuners.

jimshine
11-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Kahler made a short arm back in the 80's called a "palm control arm". It is a usual Strat arm cut short (maybe even shorter than Dave's) and had this flat metal tip. It was intended to be used with the higher end cam trems that could be set up with 2 arms at one time, a standard and the palm style. But they sold more of them loose than on complete units.

Anyway, using this bar, it was cool in that with the extra effort required due to less leverage, you could do more subtle tremolo work than trying to be delicate with the full arm.

Dave@MSSC
11-14-2013, 12:24 PM
I tried hacksawing a stainless steel arm once, it took me like 2 hours...my hacksaw is probably weak though.

Stainless is HARD stuff for sure. LOL

lv
11-15-2013, 05:50 AM
lv. I just order a 4 inch EZ trem. How do you like yours? How does it compare to the normal short wammy gilmour style

I actually use their regular length arms, but use the 'drop' trem, after using one of these it is hard to go back to a normal strat arm....