PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor show amp choices- Chute vs Egnater ?

electricfactory
10-19-2013, 07:03 AM
I'm doing an outdoor benefit later this afternoon for a local hospital, the gear backline is provided by the people doing the production, my guitar amp choices for this event are;
- Chute CC-04 100wt
- any Egnater head @ Guitar Center

I've never tried either of these amp choices [ normally use Marshall/ Fender combinations], any suggestions, recommendations or thoughts regarding THESE tWO amp choices would be greatly appreciated. Is the Egnater Renegade any good ? Long term dependability and build quality not an issue in this case, it just has to work well, once.

Brett's Les Paul
10-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Not familiar with the Chute, but the Egnater is a nice amp. Take a moment to familiarize yourself with it as it has some unique features. Tube blend, power switches from 18 to 65 watts. The effects loop is footswitchable and it has two channels. The clean channel is very nice and sounds great. The dirt channel is good, but not as good as the clean channel. If you're running a pedalboard and you get dirt from your pedals, you're set. If not, I would bring an OD to boost the dirt channel for leads and add a slight amount of grit/chime to the clean channel when needed. I like this amp as it does everything you need in a cover band situation and does it well for reasonable money. It likes my Charvels and Fenders better than my Les Pauls, though. I think the Renegade will do you just fine. I traded mine in on an EVH 5150 100 watt amp and am glad I did, but that said, there are two Renegades for sale at my local GC for $599 each and I think I'll likely pick one up for a spare head/backup. They do benefit from a re-tube.

mmorse
10-19-2013, 11:28 AM
I agree with Brett. I have a Renegade an frequently lend it to friend when he gigs. There is never a problem hearing him and his guitar never gets lost in the mix. Particularly when playing outdoor gigs. When mated to my Egnater 212 cab, he is right up front in the mix when he wants to be.

electricfactory
10-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys, based on your feedback I chose the Renegade and it couldn't have worked out any better, so much so that I BOUGHT it! Price at GC- $399.00 brand new thanks to the GC sale!

Clean Channel
11-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Glad to hear it all worked out and the Egnater was a success!

I think you're hinting in your first post that you've already read these two threads regarding my failed Chute amp, but just in case:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1268144

http://www.guitarscanada.com/showthread.php?56636-Looking-for-second-opinions-regarding-the-build-quality-of-my-amp

electricfactory
11-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Holy cow, what an epic tale! Glad it all worked out but sheesh. I have to say, I generally gravitate toward ' off the rack' when it cones to amps- Marshall, Fender. I understand why one would want to commission a hand wired boutique amp but your story makes me cling that much harder to my 'off the rack' amp-age..

Glad to hear it all worked out and the Egnater was a success!

I think you're hinting in your first post that you've already read these two threads regarding my failed Chute amp, but just in case:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1268144

http://www.guitarscanada.com/showthread.php?56636-Looking-for-second-opinions-regarding-the-build-quality-of-my-amp

AXEL276
11-08-2013, 09:56 AM
I have a Egnater Rebel 30 (1 x 12). It's a nice amp and I have been able to get some pretty good sounds out of it. My comment is that this amp likes to be played LOUD. I'm not very inspired at low volume. If fact I rarely ever use the amp unless I can turn it up. Even if I take it out for rehearsal, unless I can crank it up a bit it doesn't sound that great (to me). However when you find the sweet spot the thing sings!
It' very "tweakable". Get use to the knobs. There are a lot of options available and once it becomes intuitive it's pretty easy to dial in.

Al Rose
11-08-2013, 06:06 PM
I have a Egnater Rebel 30 (1 x 12). It's a nice amp and I have been able to get some pretty good sounds out of it. My comment is that this amp likes to be played LOUD. I'm not very inspired at low volume. If fact I rarely ever use the amp unless I can turn it up. Even if I take it out for rehearsal, unless I can crank it up a bit it doesn't sound that great (to me). However when you find the sweet spot the thing sings!
It' very "tweakable". Get use to the knobs. There are a lot of options available and once it becomes intuitive it's pretty easy to dial in.

Interesting, as I've found the same thing with my Tweaker 15. Need to get into the power tubes to make it sound great. At low volume is sounds nice, but a bit flat. Get the master above 1 o'clock, and look out!

Al

AXEL276
11-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Interesting, as I've found the same thing with my Tweaker 15. Need to get into the power tubes to make it sound great. At low volume is sounds nice, but a bit flat. Get the master above 1 o'clock, and look out!

Al

Yep, the power tubes! I find the blend knob very useful on the Rebel for dailing in and fine tweeking my tone. But you have to have the volime up a bit to feel it. Speaking of feeling it, this little monster moves air very nicely!