PDA

View Full Version : Vic Flick's '61 Strat goes for $55,000 on Pawn Stars...

jtm622
10-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Last night on "Pawn Stars" British session guitarist Vic Slick brought his '61 Strat into Harrison's pawn shop and it was appraised at 50-60K by an "expert" from "Cowtown Guitars..."

It lacked the original case, had a refret, and had a "hot rails" pickup in the bridge position...

Harrison settled on a price of $55K for that Strat...

Huh???

thornie
10-30-2013, 04:04 PM
The show is fake dude.

whoismarykelly
10-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Its television. The advertising sales for the show probably make several times more money than the pawn business makes meaning they can throw money away for entertainment value. They also probably placed greater value on that guitar because it was used to record the James Bond Theme.

bobbradley
10-30-2013, 04:11 PM
The case and the refret oh well but the pickup that's a big deal to me at least, what a joke!

jtm622
10-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Its television. The advertising sales for the show probably make several times more money than the pawn business makes meaning they can throw money away for entertainment value. They also probably placed greater value on that guitar because it was used to record the James Bond Theme.

From Wikipedia:
"...One of Flick's legendary guitars, a Clifford Essex Paragon De Luxe, on which he played the original James Bond Theme, was displayed at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio..."

:)

whoismarykelly
10-30-2013, 04:21 PM
From Wikipedia:
"...One of Flick's legendary guitars, a Clifford Essex Paragon De Luxe, on which he played the original James Bond Theme, was displayed at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio..."

I can tell you feel delightfully smug from quoting Wikipedia as a hard gosh darn fact but there is at least one interview from when Flick sold that guitar where he mentions recording the theme with the Essex and his Strat.

Guitar Josh
10-30-2013, 04:33 PM
I can tell you feel delightfully smug from quoting Wikipedia as a hard gosh darn fact but there is at least one interview from when Flick sold that guitar where he mentions recording the theme with the Essex and his Strat.

Not only that, but he said he recorded the theme to Goldfinger with the strat, the third movie, so it's still entirely possible the original theme was with the essex.

Also, Jessie should be ashamed for calling a vintage strat with a hot rails "all original" WTF. There was more wrong with the guitar as well. Shame.

jtm622
10-30-2013, 05:00 PM

Smug??? No... IMO, "delightfully smug" is not the right phrase - maybe "fact checker" would be a more accurate phrase...

More important - and more to the point - as a vintage guitar appraiser, that guy from "Cowtown" would make a damn fine plumber...

the_boogie_man
10-30-2013, 05:13 PM
The show is fake dude.

This.

But its still entertaining. Kinda like Antique Road Show.

Kurt L
10-30-2013, 08:03 PM
I was going nuts watching that episode! I have to assume their expert told them about the aftermarket pickup but it got edited out...

GarMan
10-30-2013, 08:20 PM
I was going nuts watching that episode! I have to assume their expert told them about the aftermarket pickup but it got edited out...

My wife thought I was really weird, because all I talked about was the damn hot rail pup...in a 61 strat. However, it was a player's guitar, and not a collector's guitar.

HA.

Doc Loco
10-30-2013, 08:29 PM
The fact that Flick recorded the James Bond Theme with his Clifford Essex Paragon is well documented - and not only on wiki ... http://www.guitarman.com/VICFLICKAPR2012.pdf

Kurt L
10-30-2013, 08:31 PM
My wife thought I was really weird, because all I talked about was the damn hot rail pup...in a 61 strat. However, it was a player's guitar, and not a collector's guitar.

HA.

Luckily, my wife is amazingly tolerant when it comes to guitar weirdness! I'll show her this thread as validation for my ranting. ;)

Colt14jr
10-30-2013, 08:33 PM

HA.

Yea me too. :rotflmao

brc
10-30-2013, 08:38 PM
That is one show I just cant watch. I know about 90% of it is scripted, but its more about the four idiots that work there than it is about items being brought into a pawn shop.
Rick thinks he has to give you a history lesson on every damn item that comes through the doors, and the other three are just plain painful to watch.
I tried to work a deal with Cow Town guitars once, and it was like pulling teeth. I just gave up and walked out.

Guitarded
10-30-2013, 08:51 PM
$25k would have been high.

capnjim
10-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Hi there...this is Rick from Pawn Stars. Its real, ok??
Get over it.

vortexxxx
10-31-2013, 12:45 AM
I was watching Pawn Stars when it first started hoping to see some interesting guitars, but I got bored after a while. There have been a few fake purchases on there. Vic isn't well known about to command that sort of price. If it was real, someone paid way too much.

There was a guitar by Robbie Krieger of the Doors that was listed on ebay once. It was for some good cause. I think the final bid price was around $5,000. It was a Gibson custom ordered by Robbie - only one in existence. I don't recall everything about it, but it was an SG.

DustyRhodesJr
10-31-2013, 01:39 AM
The "value" is probably a scheme cooked up the Pawn Stars or Jesse,
whoever actually owns it, to help inflate the hopeful sales price.

Look for it listed on ebay for 50K or so soon (same as what happened to the
Mary Ford guitar).

Pawn Stars pulls that crap all the time, one episode had Ron Dale (Ricks
Restorations Rick Dales brother) come in acting like a rube selling a beat
up old Coke machine. They bought it and took it to Rick Dale. Can you
say "set up for TV?"

Another had Jesse's employee bring in a "50's" Les Paul. He said he was the
former guitarist for Triumph, never said he workd for Cowtown. They told
him it was a 70's LP. Turns out the guitar was owned by Cowtown all along.

jtm622
10-31-2013, 07:29 AM
Chumley is more believable in his "value estimates" than those goofy shills from "Cowtown"...

Rick: "I've got an expert I wanna have take a look at this and give me some idea of what it's worth" ...
Rick: "Hey, Chum - you got a minute???"

charveldan
10-31-2013, 07:31 AM
Pawnbrokers are chumps, chumley is a dork.

mtngpeopleiseasy
10-31-2013, 07:31 AM
As others have said, the show exists for entertainment. Seeing people bring in old shit is cool, regardless of whether it is set up or not. It's undoubtedly frustrating when you see something you have deep knowledge about being misrepresented, but in the grand scheme of things, it's a tv show. Also makes for a good excuse to get out there and more yourself more well-informed.

My main gripe is that shows like this encourage people to put their 1998 Squier Strats up on craigslist for $500 because it's "vintage".

Flyin' Brian
10-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Never have watched that show.

But I've seen this:

eeuhXwvb3V8

And this:

9eYcAzG_jM0

Darl
10-31-2013, 08:51 AM
That strat might fetch 10k today. If I had a lot of inventory I bought in 2006 and hadn't sold yet, I'd also "appraise" everything at 5 times the actual value.

TopDog
12-14-2014, 05:28 AM
I saw this last night on a repeat. I immediately noticed the guitar was not in original condition. The bridge pup, frets, and case were not original. They didn't even take off the neck to confirm the date, nor did they look at the back or rear plate which might have had a serial number.

No way that guitar is worth 55K.

It confirmed that the show is staged.