PDA

View Full Version : Patch cables

ColeW
11-19-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm sure there is stuff about this all over the place but what do you guys think? Lava or George L's?

Geosh
11-19-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm sure there is stuff about this all over the place but what do you guys think? Lava or George L's?

Lava Tightrope or Evidence SIS for the win (if you are only considering solderless).

GuitarToma
11-19-2013, 12:07 PM
I switched to Lava Ultramafics from Lava Mini ELC. I was actually quite shocked at how much clearer my signal was. I've used George L's in the past but to be honest, I didn't like the way they looked. (Shallow alert!)

NewDr.P
11-19-2013, 12:24 PM
what about for premade soldered cables? the fulltones are gigantic.

Dan C
11-19-2013, 12:29 PM
I was saving for Evidence Audio SIS cable and plugs but now the Lava Tightrope Kit has come out I'm gonna go for that.

ju5t1n20
11-19-2013, 12:36 PM
I use Lava Soldered Kits and couldnt be happer for my PT2 setup. Eventually I am going to get Jnepo to do a board build for me, so right now the Lava is serving its purpose.

jnepo1
11-19-2013, 01:23 PM
If you are looking for solderless plugs, the SIS by Evidence Audio is the best in the business.

Empros
11-19-2013, 01:56 PM
The man who posted above me IS your answer. Not his post, but him himself. Email him. Soldered cables at an awesome price.

natejens
11-19-2013, 02:54 PM
I've just purchased a couple of Lava Ultramafic kits and working on putting them together and will chime in when they are done. Besides that jnepo1 as many have said makes quality cables at a price you can't beat.

slap_back05
11-19-2013, 03:31 PM
I have Lava Mini ELC and like them much better than George L's. Might consider EA SiS in the future, but would probably stick with Lava Tightrope.

dmar490
12-05-2013, 09:13 PM
George L's if you're looking for cables that are easy to make. With Lavas, I had to remake and even reorder more cable after some shorted out right after I made them. I'm sticking with Lava for now though because of the size of plugs (I squeeze my pedals into my board), and they don't sound as thin as George L's (using a combo of Ultramafic and Mini ELCs). They seem to be more reliable in the long run than George L's, but I probably haven't had them long enough to tell for sure yet. Keep an eye on Lava's Twitter and Facebook, because they sometimes offer coupons.

0xeneye
12-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Pancakes + Mogami + DIY is my recipe.

dbun
12-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Lava Soldered

crambone
12-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Trust not in George L's, for they will fail you.

jazzphan89
12-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Pancakes + Mogami + DIY is my recipe.

I agree entirely. I have some Lava mini ELC and they're good but I much prefer this method.

Mikal69
12-06-2013, 07:44 AM
had the same experiences as alot, George L's constantly failed, ever since i switched to Lava, never had one fail, and they sound "bigger".

Dr. Jimmy
12-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Evidence Monorail + GLS pancakes.....

Lullabies
12-06-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm just using Fender patch cables and yorkville ones... first off none of my yorkville patch or instrument cables have ever died on me and I have one from the early 2000s I still use regularly. The fenders on the other hand are not so good, I just had one die on me the other day.... just over a year old too

NewDr.P
12-06-2013, 09:13 AM
I'm just using Fender patch cables and yorkville ones... first off none of my yorkville patch or instrument cables have ever died on me and I have one from the early 2000s I still use regularly. The fenders on the other hand are not so good, I just had one die on me the other day.... just over a year old too

yeah, but what size do they sound? lava allegedly sound large in size.

Lullabies
12-06-2013, 09:18 AM
yeah, but what size do they sound? lava allegedly sound large in size.

LOL

No clue how they SOUND cause personally I don't think they have a sound they are cables... I'm one of those people that puts no effort into trying different patch cables, I just want something that lasts and won't break on me.

What plectrum you use will have bigger impact on your sound then what patch cables you use IMO

FWIW Stevie Ray Vaughan (who I'm not really a fan of but had a pretty good sound) used radio shack cables.

Empros
12-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Yorkville cables are so bulky.. Upgrading my patch cables to jnepo1's stuff was hands down one of the best gear purchases I've ever made. Now I never have to worry about them. They're small so I can arrange them however I want, and I've never had one die on me or fart out or anything. It's like getting a Pedal Power 2+. Do you absolutely need to upgrade to it? Maybe not, but once you do, you never have to worry about. It's there and does it's job well.

crambone
12-06-2013, 10:07 AM
I need jnepo1 to make me a 16" pancake cable, gotta get that dun!

Lullabies
12-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Yorkville cables are so bulky.. Upgrading my patch cables to jnepo1's stuff was hands down one of the best gear purchases I've ever made. Now I never have to worry about them. They're small so I can arrange them however I want, and I've never had one die on me or fart out or anything. It's like getting a Pedal Power 2+. Do you absolutely need to upgrade to it? Maybe not, but once you do, you never have to worry about. It's there and does it's job well.

I'll agree with you on that , Yorkville patches are too long/bulky. I think if I ever upgraded my patches I would just get planet waves since they are available at my local L&Ms... I hear Lava is good too but I don't want the make your own set I want premade ones. I might get the Yorkville studio one cables too since they are good quality and not too pricey to buy 5 of them. I have a flightcase board not a pedaltrain so my cables are all over the place anyways so neatness is not really a priority for me although it would be nice to upgrade to a hardcase pedaltrain someday but that is the OCD in me talking

Anyways sorry to derail the thread!

Empros
12-06-2013, 10:33 AM
I had Planet Waves solderless ones and the connectors and cable are still pretty bulky. And I've had a few problems with their patches. All I'm saying is jnepo's cables are close to the same price as the Planet Waves ones but have pancake plugs, thinner cable (so it's not bulky, you can actually move it around). All I'm saying is if you do decide to get new cables, really consider jnepo's stuff. Much better than the bulky stuff you get at L&M.

Lullabies
12-06-2013, 10:36 AM
ok cool I will look into it. I do wanna replace my fender ones on my board after one crapped out on me.

JasonAz
12-06-2013, 11:06 AM
they all break after a while anyway, I dont like patch cables thats why i sold most of my single pedals for multiswitch pedals.

3 Mile Stone
12-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Trust not in George L's, for they will fail you.

If you make them wrong.

Never had a failure once in the 12 years I've been using them. Not once. I have some of the same ones I made then still on my board today.

Road King
12-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I used George L's for years and honestly they sound great. But recently I changed over to the Lava 229's and the Lava Magma cable. It's a little darker sounding than the George L but that works for me. Pedal changes are now quite a butt cramp with the soldered cables but I couldn't stand anymore failures. And yes, after making hundreds of GL cables over lots of years I'm pretty sure I could make them right.

FoolOnThePlanet
12-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Hosas for me, never failed, no problems.