PDA

View Full Version : What are the most convincing amp like pedals?

BluesHarp
11-21-2013, 08:00 AM
For instance, the Catalinbread DLS mk3 for a Marhsall.

There are many amp like pedals on the market now, but which ones do you feel really DO sound and feel like the amp its designed for?

Ive got my eye on the Catalinbread Formula 5F6 for a tweed sound. Is it pedal like or amp like?

My focus here isnt for "amp like" pedals but for pedals that best emulate an actual AMP.

Joe Perry
11-21-2013, 08:08 AM
In my limited experience.......

Wampler Black '65 for pushed blackface tones
Menatone Howie for pushed "D" style cleans
Ethos clean channel for SSS style Cleans (I'm not too much into the RF OD tones)

12strings
11-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Bearfoot and Menatone

BluesHarp
11-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Bearfoot and Menatone

Wow, the whole shebang eh? Cant narrow down your favorites a bit?

In my limited experience.......

Wampler Black '65 for pushed blackface tones
Menatone Howie for pushed "D" style cleans
Ethos clean channel for SSS style Cleans (I'm not too much into the RF OD tones)

Ethos is supposed to be the most believable dumble-ish toneinabox. Would like to try one someday for sure.

Yossi
11-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Look at BK Butler Tube Driver, the Kingsley overdrives, they use tubes and high voltage. So they are more like an amp than other pedals. I have the Kingsley Jester, a great pedal and the Tube Driver. I have the Kingsley Harlot in the mail. I've heard the Effectrode pedals are in this category too.

BluesHarp
11-21-2013, 09:24 AM
What amp is the Harlot supposed to be emulating? I want one of those, but more just for the great tone its going to have.. not because it sounds like a amp I want to emulate.

Yossi
11-21-2013, 09:45 AM
What amp is the Harlot supposed to be emulating? I want one of those, but more just for the great tone its going to have.. not because it sounds like a amp I want to emulate.

It is amp like in the way it functions, not amp like in terms of emulating a specific amp.

digiTED
11-21-2013, 09:52 AM
I've gone through most of the C-Bread stuff and enjoyed them all one way or the other. I've also been curious about the current Tech 21 stuff. To my ear/needs/fingers however, I've had a few that really stood out:

Bearfoot HBOD, SYOD
Blackstone OD
And the king (IMO), the Lumpy's GTO. It's a Jelly Roll (now Class A OD) with Ge trannies in the output. It's so good that I love running it straight into the FX return on my Unleash.

i8guitar
11-21-2013, 10:05 AM
The Tech 21 Blonde, Leeds, and Liverpool are outstanding. They work very well direct and straight into amps, stack well with other pedals, and most importantly to me, respond well to guitar volume changes and picking attack.

Thinline_slim
11-21-2013, 10:12 AM
The Tech 21 Blonde, Leeds, and Liverpool are outstanding. They work very well direct and straight into amps, stack well with other pedals, and most importantly to me, respond well to guitar volume changes and picking attack.
The Oxford does a good job too. I can't compare it to vintage Orange amps but I was able to tweak it enough to sound pretty darn close to my Orange OR50 when circumstances wouldn't allow an amp.

BluesHarp
11-27-2013, 08:37 AM
up!

CharlyG
11-27-2013, 08:45 AM
I like Wampler's take on cranked amp pedals.

mudster
11-27-2013, 08:47 AM
JHS has a new pedal with a moonshine jug printed on it - it is in a basic TS format with an added toggle. The up position is very very amp like in it's response. I won't say it mimics a certain amp, but it responds like an amp.

I am not sure if the OP is asking which pedals respond like amps or sound like specific amps.

BluesHarp
11-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Like specific amps.

a1briz
11-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Bogner twins..?

Don't know how close they resemble a real Bogner amp though, cause I've never owned one.

JDre19
11-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Bogner, sl drive, does Timmy count?

Tstyle
11-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Maxon SD9.

plan-x
11-28-2013, 04:05 PM
I perceive the OP was just referring to pedals that do a convincing amp like tone vs sounding like a pedal. The pedal that does that for me well is the Zendrive 2.

Lullabies
11-28-2013, 04:12 PM
I found the Catalinbread SFT to NAIL the Ampeg V4/ VT-40 edge of breakup/ cranked tones and pedals stacked into it just like the real amp.

la noise
11-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Been long time user of both the Wampler '57 Tweed and '65 Black. Also like the Catalinbread DLS MKIII (amazing!) and the Royal Albert Hall (Hiwatt pedal). All 4 are on my board right now.

Lullabies
11-28-2013, 04:28 PM
the tweed 57 was awesome... really regret selling that one!

MogwaiBoy
11-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Look at BK Butler Tube Driver, the Kingsley overdrives, they use tubes and high voltage. So they are more like an amp than other pedals. I have the Kingsley Jester, a great pedal and the Tube Driver. I have the Kingsley Harlot in the mail. I've heard the Effectrode pedals are in this category too.

It's great to see that Harlot sales are starting to gain pace. You will not be disappointed!

And right it's not "emulating" an amp brand. It basically is an amp - it certainly feels and responds like one. So it's not a Marshall, it's a Kingsley : )

fatcat87
11-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Well I can get a lot from just a bb preamp by xotic effects

fieldsroyal
11-28-2013, 05:06 PM
All of menatones amp in box pedals do what they purport to.

rsm
11-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Anyone using or try the AMT amp pedals?

vanguard
11-28-2013, 06:51 PM
The Menatone Top Boost in a Can and Workingman's Blue pedals are the best I've found.

The Analogman KOT is pretty killer at the pushed blackface sound.

Matt Gnarly
11-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Thus far I've been impressed by the Catalinbread Formula 5 which I ran through a clean Traynor, I had a Tungsten Crema Wheat at the time and it was crazy how close the Catalinbread got to the Tungsten. I've also enjoyed the DLS MKIII, sounds better running through my DRRI than my previous JCM 800 4210 sounded. Wasn't a fan of their Vox pedal, didn't really come close to my old Vox.

Nota
11-28-2013, 08:17 PM
I can't say enough good things about my Ethos, it's my tone, my amp, and all my OD in one pedal.

I've owned the Liverpool over five times (lost count), as well as the PSA which is like the daddy of the Tech21 modeling stuff. Great sounds, I have just realized I'm not a Vox guy.

RocksOff
11-28-2013, 08:24 PM
JHS Superbolt and ZVex BOR

crazyneddie
11-28-2013, 08:24 PM
I found the Catalinbread SFT to NAIL the Ampeg V4/ VT-40 edge of breakup/ cranked tones and pedals stacked into it just like the real amp.

Agreed. The SFT and the DLS MK 3 are both fantastic pedals. If you want those sounds, those pedals really deliver. The DLS in super bass mode is my desert island pedal for sure.

Pao
11-28-2013, 08:50 PM
The Bogner Blue is so different from the regular pedals I've tried. My vote is on the Bogner.

Python
11-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Ive got my eye on the Catalinbread Formula 5F6 for a tweed sound. Is it pedal like or amp like?

I just got the Formula 5F6 yesterday and I'm so impressed with it, I am thinking about the DLS MKIII which also seems to be highly regarded.

I have about 7 BJFE pedals (that are also very amp like) and the 5F6 is right up there with them. The 5F6 could end up replacing my BJFE Honeybee.

I use a John Suhr Custom Classic (Strat) and a Speedster Deluxe (Blackface Deluxe Reverb clone).

BluesHarp
11-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Yea.. the sft and the 5f6 are two pedals I need to try out. The first one would probably sound great for bass too..

Python
11-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Yea.. the sft and the 5f6 are two pedals I need to try out. The first one would probably sound great for bass too..

I'm also thinking about getting the SFT for my bass. Right now, I use my OCD and it's not great (for bass). I would love to get some subtle overdrive for my bass. I have so many pedals I really don't need anymore but there are some great sales going on it's hard to pass up :-)

Billy Idle
11-29-2013, 05:03 AM
Lovepedal high power tweed twin
Wampler's B65
JHS Superbolt
Menatone King of the britains
boss bc2

MBT74
11-29-2013, 05:15 AM
All of menatones amp in box pedals do what they purport to.

Yep, Menatone gets my vote too.

lobsterinmotion
11-29-2013, 05:33 AM
CMATmods Brownie.

I've been so super happy and satisfied with this pedal. A keeper for life.

AustinR9Powers
11-29-2013, 07:35 AM
Quinn Hot Buttered Scotch
Greenhouse Roadkiller
Greenhouse Nobrainer

I am through hunting distortion/gain pedals.

L0ki
11-29-2013, 07:39 AM
I just got the Formula 5F6 yesterday and I'm so impressed with it, I am thinking about the DLS MKIII which also seems to be highly regarded.

I have these three and they are very impressive, very dynamic and responsive!

crambone
11-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Tech 21 Liverpool for the WIN!

jackrockerman
11-29-2013, 09:49 PM
RAMlcSBw9xc

halcyon
11-29-2013, 10:57 PM
MI Audio Crunchbox (Marshall, natch).

oxtone
11-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Bogner Ecstasy Blue - very amp like.

Xotic SL Drive - sounds like a Marshall to me! Cleans up nicely, too.

midwayfair
11-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Runoff Groove's Azabache (Fender)
Runoff Groove's Supreaux Deux (Supro 16T)
Wampler Black 65 and Tweed 57 ... really any of his amps in a box, but these two in particular.

There are some other designs I've played (or built/breadboarded) that are also great, but for which I didn't have an amp reference to compare them. Those three, for me, get the feel and character of Fender amps perfectly. (A big part of that to me is how it handles the treble frequencies.) The Azabache is my favorite overdrive.

chrismellotron
11-30-2013, 09:13 AM
The Bogner Blue is so different from the regular pedals I've tried. My vote is on the Bogner.I'm with ya there, buddy. Although, I've never played through a real Bogner amp in person, so I'm a poor witness.

Theroyalconsort
11-30-2013, 10:44 AM
The Bearfoot Emerald Green Overdrive Machine (or Emerald Green Distortion Machine) is a very impressive Vox in a Box.

It doesn't sound in any way 'plastic' like alot of amp in a box pedals can and sucessfully gets a full spread of AC 30 tones, (cleans & distorted, Sharp & slightly wooly(you know the ones)) out of my Fender.

Defendant
11-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Anyone using or try the AMT amp pedals?

I recently tried their orange amp simulator and it was very good overall.

I agree the Bogners do well. I base that on a decent amount of time with a 101b.

The himmelstrutz fettos sound brilliant at the Marshall thing.

Haven't tried the latest generation of cbread but I've had great results with the SFT.

I have a Carl Martin plexi tone and ac tone (small boxes) that sound superb through the right amp.

...which is something to raise: pretty much all of these pedals are very amp dependant. For example I have a Victoria double deluxe that only the fetto sounds ok with. But my plexi will take any of them and sound great.

ken374
12-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Bogners for me, blue is great and the red is a XTC/5150III in a box

Loop-Master
12-01-2013, 08:33 AM
SIB Varidrive

melodiusthunk
12-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Regarding the CBread 5F6, this is one of my favorite AIB pedals ever, and I am still exploring its possibilities. Doesn't take over your sound at low -med gain, at higher gains, chords through single coil pups just have this fantastic bloom that tickles my limbic infundibulator into attention.

Menatone is also a solid choice, although I've liked his more recent builds better than some of the older (10 yrs ago) boxes I have tried. have a MarkIII TBIAC on board now, and am finding some great drive tones.

I've also found that both Menatone and Catalinbread drives take fuzzes, treble boosts, and screamers stacked in front quite well, in my experience, if that makes any difference to you (the OP).

musica23
12-01-2013, 11:21 AM
I love the Carl Martin Plexitone (original) for a Marshall sound, and I agree with a previous poster that the CMATMODS Brownie also does a great job at nailing the "brown sound" for a very modest price.

I just ordered the new Wampler Ace Thirty (Vox emulator, of course) after hearing a great demo. This will be my second try at a Wampler, my first being the original Triple Wreck which I ended up sending back...too much bass for me, and I felt it was over-priced. :hide2

As for overall amp-like tones (which OP isn't looking for, I guess!), I find that the BearFoot line (e.g., EGDM, HBOD, MG, DRHD, MH4K, etc.) and Barber pedals (CDD and others) can't be beat! I've got more than my share of C'bread foundation pedals, too, but their modulation/delays is what I like best.

groovemeister
12-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Agreed. The SFT and the DLS MK 3 are both fantastic pedals. If you want those sounds, those pedals really deliver. The DLS in super bass mode is my desert island pedal for sure.

i feel exactly the same way -both deadly pedals and very amp like. my two faves
for vox check the new wampler
for supro the jhs superbolt
for jcm 800 i use to reccomend the plextortion which is great but does not sound as amp like as the two cb pedals above
really wanna try an el mo for a cranked vibroverb pedal

BluesHarp
12-02-2013, 10:00 AM
For jcm 800 you need to try the jhs Angry Charlie.

For the AC30, the new Wampler Ace Thirty does sound very good from the clips.. might have to get one.

Right now the sft and the 5f6 are next in line for me.. but they one of them would have to knock off the bearfoot model g ( gibson amp, and sounds similar to the hbod but higher headroom and tighter in the lows ), and that would be a hard thing.

Mapleneck
12-02-2013, 02:49 PM
I have or have had almost every Menatone AIAB and they're all great. I can find several good uses for any one of them. I have a Fetto Custom I'm fond of. The Blackstones are good. Owned a couple Wamplers and Caitlinbreads and they were very good as well.

chrismellotron
12-02-2013, 03:17 PM
I'd love to try the C'bread WIIO for that cranked Hiwatt sound.

RocksOff
12-02-2013, 04:53 PM

Tried the RAH? Insanely good!

kracdown
12-02-2013, 05:01 PM
my bearfoot Model H is pretty awesome.... Nails the amp like feel.

Noah
12-02-2013, 05:05 PM
The Bogner Blue is very amplike to my ears.

Honorable mention for Amptweaker Tight Rock...it also has an effects loop and a loop you can use for other effects...compressor/delay/whatever.

Fred132
12-02-2013, 05:23 PM

Very glad to hear this opinion, just got one of these though have not had a chance to try it out yet.

I don't think many people realize what good versatile sounds those amps provide.

Mapleneck
12-02-2013, 06:35 PM

One of the Menatones I have NOT tried is the Menawatt. It is supposed to be a seriously good hiwatt pedal.

guitarslinger21
12-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Bogners for me, blue is great and the red is a XTC/5150III in a box

Agreed

I own a fish preamp, and the Xtc red makes me wonder if I need it.

rongtr
12-02-2013, 07:00 PM
KOT for me!!

cliffwang
12-02-2013, 07:21 PM
1. Analogman King of Tone.
2. Jan Ray

ChaseTheAce
12-02-2013, 07:23 PM
King of Tone for sure

I also found the DLS v1 to sound very convincing through my Orange head's clean channel