PDA

View Full Version : Wampler Ace 30 with an AC30

jcshirke
12-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Has anyone tried the Wampler Ace 30 with an actual AC30 (preferably vintage)?

Just curious how the pedal works as an overdrive with the amp it's designed to emulate. Bottom line: I'm wondering if I'd like it more than the Galileo. Anyone tried it yet?

Thanks,
Jeff

la noise
12-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Why a pedal that emulates an amp into the amp it is attempting to emulate??? :huh

jcshirke
12-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Because it's an overdrive.

axe4me
12-07-2013, 02:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw45tH8PdlE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9vfokzfmUY

jcshirke
12-07-2013, 02:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw45tH8PdlE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9vfokzfmUY

The amp used in those demos is a Fender Super Sonic Custom--whatever that is.

Fendegibs
12-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Why a pedal that emulates an amp into the amp it is attempting to emulate??? :huh

I love a Wampler Black '65 into a Deluxe Reverb - lets me get the classic blackface OD tones at reasonable volumes. I imagine the Ace 30 into an AC30 would be much the same.

jcshirke
12-07-2013, 02:09 PM
I love a Wampler Black '65 into a Deluxe Reverb - lets me get the classic blackface OD tones at reasonable volumes. I imagine the Ace 30 into an AC30 would be much the same.

Exactly. Presumably, the Wampler is already voiced to sound and respond like an AC30, so if it was run in front of the real amp, it might allow you to get authentic cranked tones at lower volumes.

musica23
12-07-2013, 02:18 PM
I got one and sent it back already. However, I did NOT try it through a Vox amp. I tried it through 2 different Fenders (Blues Jr. and Blues Deluxe) and a Mesa Express 5:50, using both HBs and P-90s. (I've got a little AC4TV, but I want either an AC15 or 30.)

I'd say it does the Vox thing fairly well, but it's too bassy for me, as was the Triple Wreck that I tried when it first came out. The 15/30 switch is nice (I like it on 15 for more gain), but I made up my mind in 2 days that I'd rather save the $$$ toward the actual amp. I'll say it's really pretty, but I couldn't justify keeping it!

guitarstar2005
12-07-2013, 03:38 PM
I thought it would create a worm hole- thus making time travel a reality.

Ok, I'm curious too! ( I'm adding one on my 'Fender' stuff for a little British grind.

blackba
12-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Interesting question, curious to know my self. I am pretty happy with the Timmy through my vox ac50....

revgsmall
12-07-2013, 06:03 PM
I love a Wampler Black '65 into a Deluxe Reverb - lets me get the classic blackface OD tones at reasonable volumes. I imagine the Ace 30 into an AC30 would be much the same. I'm not so sure that it will be as successful. I tried a Fender Custom Shop Tweed Deluxe and compared it with a Wampler Tweed pedal into a Two Rock Studio 35. The pedal with the gain almost off still had way too much gain. I plugged the Wampler tweed pedal into the Fender Tweed and had the same results: the pedal has way too much gain.

Fuzzr
12-07-2013, 06:04 PM
I thought it would create a worm hole- thus making time travel a reality.

Yep. Space/Time Continuum would be torn.

jcshirke
12-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Someone loan me an Ace 30 for a couple days, and I'll be happy to post the verdict. :)

revgsmall
12-07-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm not so sure that it will be as successful. I tried a Fender Custom Shop Tweed Deluxe and compared it with a Wampler Tweed pedal into a Two Rock Studio 35. The pedal with the gain almost off still had way too much gain. I plugged the Wampler tweed pedal into the Fender Tweed and had the same results: the pedal has way too much gain. I must add that I love most of the Wampler Pedals I've tried. The Dual Fusion pedal is just too cool!!!

BrianWampler
12-07-2013, 07:17 PM
I got one and sent it back already. However, I did NOT try it through a Vox amp. I tried it through 2 different Fenders (Blues Jr. and Blues Deluxe) and a Mesa Express 5:50, using both HBs and P-90s. (I've got a little AC4TV, but I want either an AC15 or 30.)

I'd say it does the Vox thing fairly well, but it's too bassy for me, as was the Triple Wreck that I tried when it first came out. The 15/30 switch is nice (I like it on 15 for more gain), but I made up my mind in 2 days that I'd rather save the $$$ toward the actual amp. I'll say it's really pretty, but I couldn't justify keeping it!

I'm curious... how is it too bassy with the bass control? The bass control will cut the bass completely out -

revgsmall
12-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Hey Brian, I certainly don't want to step on anybody's feet, I'm taking your Dual Fusion pedal to the International Blues Challenge in Memphis, in late January. I have to use what ever amp they give me. I think the Dual Fusion is the perfect pedal for the task. I hope your Ace 30 pedal nails the tone. All I'm saying with the Tweed pedal is it needs less gain to get all those cool blues tones, it ain't all Neil Young on 12. Keep doing what you do, you have raised the bar in pedal works.

la noise
12-07-2013, 10:55 PM
I am confused by these attempts to run a pedal emulating a specific amp into
the amp it is attempting to emulate. This confuses me? :huh

Like the mention of running the Tweed pedal into an actual Tweed amp = too
much gain. Well, excuse my insensitivity here, but duh????

Aren't the Wampler pedals design intent to emulate those amps.... not be a
transparent OD into those amps??

I love both the '65 Black and '57 Tweed precisely because they allow me to
easily approach those types of tones without having to actually use those types
of amps. If I had one of those amps, well, I surely would not think of running
an OD pedal designed to emulate it in front of it? That's what a Timmy or a
Tube Screamer is for.... or any other number of OD's on the market?

revgsmall
12-07-2013, 11:05 PM
There is no "duh" here cowboy. I ran the tweed pedal into a clean set Two rock, for cryin out loud. An amp that many consider the best pedal platform one can have. Next to the Two Roc sat the Fender Custom Shop 57 Tweed Deluxe. The Wampler could not be brought down enough even at almost zero gain. It could not match the tone of the Fender at low to mid gains. But how about some reality here, no $200 pedal can out perform the Fender Reissue that costs how many times more. Yes the Wampler will give you some tweed flavor, but not the vibe that a good tweed will give you with the volumes up around 1 or 2 o clock. Try it your self.

Now having said all that steam, a few years back I ran an AC 15 on semi clean with a Menatone Top Boost In a Can and it popped the Vox tone very well, so who the frick knows until ya actually try it.

musica23
12-08-2013, 07:36 AM
I'm curious... how is it too bassy with the bass control? The bass control will cut the bass completely out -

Even with the bass backed off completely, it was too bassy! Maybe "too loud" would be a better way to describe it with the bass down. My tubes were nearly rattling. FWIW, I didn't try it onstage or at tremendously high volumes, though I do play loud at home. And I had the same experience with the Triple Wreck back when it was first released.

I know your stuff is quality, Brian, and it's definitely well-made. You can tell just by looking at it...and this one's really pretty! I just think that maybe your stuff (the 2 I've tried, at least) are better suited to the gigging musician who can really let loose with the volume. Or maybe my amps aren't up to the task, though they're all tube...but very moderately-priced. :dunno

All I know is that the Ace Thirty did a pretty good impression of a Vox (and I love the 15/30 switch), but it didn't work out well enough for me to keep it. I should also add that I've been wanting to get an actual AC15 or 30 for the past year, and your pedal made me want one all over again. So, as someone else said here somewhere, I'd rather put the cost of the Ace Thirty toward the amp!

No offense intended...it just didn't work well enough for me...and I want that amp! :)

guitarslinger21
12-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Vox tone squared?? It would prob sound great!!

BrianWampler
12-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Even with the bass backed off completely, it was too bassy! Maybe "too loud" would be a better way to describe it with the bass down. My tubes were nearly rattling. FWIW, I didn't try it onstage or at tremendously high volumes, though I do play loud at home. And I had the same experience with the Triple Wreck back when it was first released.

I know your stuff is quality, Brian, and it's definitely well-made. You can tell just by looking at it...and this one's really pretty! I just think that maybe your stuff (the 2 I've tried, at least) are better suited to the gigging musician who can really let loose with the volume. Or maybe my amps aren't up to the task, though they're all tube...but very moderately-priced. :dunno

All I know is that the Ace Thirty did a pretty good impression of a Vox (and I love the 15/30 switch), but it didn't work out well enough for me to keep it. I should also add that I've been wanting to get an actual AC15 or 30 for the past year, and your pedal made me want one all over again. So, as someone else said here somewhere, I'd rather put the cost of the Ace Thirty toward the amp!

No offense intended...it just didn't work well enough for me...and I want that amp! :)

No offense at all taken! :)
It just kind of had me scratching my head when you said it was too bassy, but maybe you mean too gainy? You mentioned too loud, but with the volume control you should be able to match unity volume. I'm just trying to understand better. I try to follow closely all the customer comments we get, it helps us make a better product in the end. :)

musica23
12-08-2013, 09:00 AM
No offense at all taken! :)
It just kind of had me scratching my head when you said it was too bassy, but maybe you mean too gainy? You mentioned too loud, but with the volume control you should be able to match unity volume. I'm just trying to understand better. I try to follow closely all the customer comments we get, it helps us make a better product in the end. :)

Well, that's good! I understand why you'd want to understand better, too, and as a pedal consumer, I appreciate it! I wish I could better describe the situation for you. :confused:

There's seldom too much gain for me with any pedal, so that's not it! And I did match unity with the volume knob. There's a real heaviness to it (I guess that's why I say "bassy") that I don't find with other drives/distortions. It seems loud even when it's at unity. I compared it to another Vox-type drive that I have and there was quite a contrast. I also find your Ace Thirty far superior to yet another Vox-flavored pedal I have.

I'll just say this...if anyone says it's "thin-sounding," I'll be shocked! I know you do great work, but not everything works for everyone. Thanks for following up, and I'm sorry I'm not the best at techie talk!

blackba
12-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Well, that's good! I understand why you'd want to understand better, too, and as a pedal consumer, I appreciate it! I wish I could better describe the situation for you. :confused:

There's seldom too much gain for me with any pedal, so that's not it! And I did match unity with the volume knob. There's a real heaviness to it (I guess that's why I say "bassy") that I don't find with other drives/distortions. It seems loud even when it's at unity. I compared it to another Vox-type drive that I have and there was quite a contrast. I also find your Ace Thirty far superior to yet another Vox-flavored pedal I have.

I'll just say this...if anyone says it's "thin-sounding," I'll be shocked! I know you do great work, but not everything works for everyone. Thanks for following up, and I'm sorry I'm not the best at techie talk!

Well I have found some pedals that work better at home and some better with the band. As you know your amps and guitars play a huge role too. I find it interesting that you thought the wampler pedals have too much bass, since I find many dirt pedals roll off the bass more than I want and don't allow me to really dial in the bass. I tend to like more bass in my tone at home and less live with the band.....

musica23
12-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Well I have found some pedals that work better at home and some better with the band. As you know your amps and guitars play a huge role too. I find it interesting that you thought the wampler pedals have too much bass, since I find many dirt pedals roll off the bass more than I want and don't allow me to really dial in the bass. I tend to like more bass in my tone at home and less live with the band.....

Yes, definitely! Live vs. home...and amps and guitars make huge differences.

And about the bass...I can't tell ya how many times I've read that a given pedal was too thin-sounding or didn't deliver enough bass...especially with high gain pedals. So, for folks who are having that problem, Wampler might be for you! The Triple Wreck and the Ace Thirty deliver more than enough bass IMO...and they're both highly tweakable (plenty of Vox-y treble!) and obviously built to last.

I usually use HBs, and I can't remember having a problem with lack of bass in any of the pedals I own, either "live" or at home. If I did, I don't have those pedals anymore!

BrianWampler
12-09-2013, 07:08 PM

I think I understand... the tweed (that's the pedal we are talking about, correct?) does have a more 'chewy' personality. It's not going to be a real tight opamp/diode clipping style of circuit (drastically different than say, a tubescreamer type circuit). That may be what you speak of, I'm guessing. Then again, sometimes folks just don't like a certain pedal, guitar, amp, or whatever. For example, I'm not a fan of strats at all, and if you've seen this video, I'm pretty sure they don't like me either. :D

ydRnhDX3xIo

musica23
12-09-2013, 07:25 PM
I think I understand... the tweed (that's the pedal we are talking about, correct?) does have a more 'chewy' personality. It's not going to be a real tight opamp/diode clipping style of circuit (drastically different than say, a tubescreamer type circuit). That may be what you speak of, I'm guessing. Then again, sometimes folks just don't like a certain pedal, guitar, amp, or whatever. For example, I'm not a fan of strats at all, and if you've seen this video, I'm pretty sure they don't like me either. :D

Now I'm confused! We were talking about your new Ace Thirty. At least I was! ;)

But I definitely agree that "sometimes folks just don't like a certain pedal, guitar, amp, or whatever." :)

jcshirke
12-09-2013, 07:41 PM
I am confused by these attempts to run a pedal emulating a specific amp into
the amp it is attempting to emulate. This confuses me? :huh

If I had one of those amps, well, I surely would not think of running
an OD pedal designed to emulate it in front of it? That's what a Timmy or a
Tube Screamer is for.... or any other number of OD's on the market?

I thought I already explained it to you.

A cranked AC30 sounds like nothing else. If the pedal can emulate that sound, but at lower volumes, then I'm interested.

I have plenty of OD pedals to put in front of my AC30s. They produce a variety of sounds, obviously--some good, some not-so-good. I'm interested in the Ace 30 only insofar as it's *already voiced* to sound/respond like an AC30, and insofar as it can produce *authentic* cranked AC30 sounds at lower volumes.

Personally, I've never understood why anyone would buy a pedal that emulates an amp. If you want the sound of a Tweed Deluxe, buy a freakin' Tweed Deluxe, etc. Of course, that would also explain why I own about 20 amps.

Jeff

RocksOff
12-09-2013, 08:14 PM

A cranked AC30 sounds like nothing else. If the pedal can emulate that sound, but at lower volumes, then I'm interested.

I have plenty of OD pedals to put in front of my AC30s. They produce a variety of sounds, obviously--some good, some not-so-good. I'm interested in the Ace 30 only insofar as it's *already voiced* to sound/respond like an AC30, and insofar as it can produce *authentic* cranked AC30 sounds at lower volumes.

Personally, I've never understood why anyone would buy a pedal that emulates an amp. If you want the sound of a Tweed Deluxe, buy a freakin' Tweed Deluxe, etc. Of course, that would also explain why I own about 20 amps.

Jeff

Some people (like me) buy amp emulator pedals for exactly the reason you stated. We match them with the same amp, but use them to get those tones at lower volume. This is the primary reason, for example, that I use a BOR with my JTM.

japanmoran
12-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Jeff, just buy a new pedal. I'm sure it has been a few hours since UPS has been to your door. ;)

BrianWampler
12-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Now I'm confused! We were talking about your new Ace Thirty. At least I was! ;)

But I definitely agree that "sometimes folks just don't like a certain pedal, guitar, amp, or whatever." :)

My fault, I should've scrolled up before posting. Similar idea with the ace30 though... it's not going to be a tight gain like you'll get from an opamp/diode clipping circuit; it's going to clip more similar to the amp when loud (which is a combination of tubes, transformer, speaker, etc).

hybridrocknroll
12-10-2013, 05:36 AM

Jeff

Or like many more like myself, it's cheaper to buy a $200 pedal than a $1000+ amp each time.

jcshirke
12-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Or like many more like myself, it's cheaper to buy a $200 pedal than a $1000+ amp each time.

Cheaper, sure, but does it sound as good as the amp? No.

Anyway, can we get back to my question? If no one has tried it, so be it. Let the thread die.

musica23
12-10-2013, 08:06 AM
...Anyway, can we get back to my question? If no one has tried it, so be it. Let the thread die.

Sorry I took place in the derailing of your thread. You're absolutely right...and I apologize for my part. :hide2

BrianWampler
12-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Cheaper, sure, but does it sound as good as the amp? No.

Anyway, can we get back to my question? If no one has tried it, so be it. Let the thread die.

What's your original question again?

jcshirke
12-10-2013, 09:10 AM
What's your original question again?

Just curious how the pedal works as an overdrive with the amp it's designed to emulate. Bottom line: I'm wondering if I'd like it more than the Galileo. Anyone tried it yet?

Thanks,
Jeff

BrianWampler
12-10-2013, 01:09 PM

Thanks,
Jeff

I'll make a quick video for you tomorrow, send me your facebook info or twitter info and I'll tag you on the post.