PDA

View Full Version : best reverb/delay/echo pedal for Rockabilly sounds

blindtc
12-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Cause I am not interested in puting down all the money for fulltone Tube Tape Echo, what is the best pedal that can subsitute for something like that for a resonbale price? i am thinking of the slapback sounds scotty moore got on those Elvis sun recordings. What pedals are out there that can do this sound justice?

DeaconBlues
12-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Most any analog delay pedal. Rocktron's Short Timer is a cheap delay meant for slap back.

jurfin
12-08-2013, 02:41 PM
i use a young pedal co ADM-600 and am very happy with the way it sounds. awesome slap back, and foot switchable modulation - in a tiny enclosure!

rocktron short timer would also work just fine : )

S. S. Bender
12-08-2013, 02:45 PM
The Retro Sonic Analog Delay is an excellent sounding device for slap back applications. It's better at slap back than any other delay I own, and I'm fortunate enough to have some really pricey esoteric cork-sniffer stuff to choose from.

The Retro Sonic has a second footswitch that cuts the delay time in half, which you might find useful, especially if you like longer slaps in the 125 to 150 millisecond range. Otherwise, with 800 milliseconds of total delay time available, and a price point for a new unit hovering at $300, it could be overkill for what you need.

I'm sure there are some decent alternative product options at lower price points, but I'll let others relate their experience with those.

JesterR
12-09-2013, 03:10 AM
Personally, I think, that tape sims works better for that kind of tone. More percussive feel.
I love slapback sound from my Catalinbread Belle Epoch.

dirk_benedict
12-09-2013, 05:03 AM
For simple slapback, Carbon Copy works very well. Heck a humble DD-3 will get the job well, or even one of the old Dan Echos.

I am loving my El Capistan these days, but it would be overkill for your needs.

fuzzface71
12-09-2013, 05:11 AM
The Aqua Puss is great for slapback.

hamerman55
12-09-2013, 05:43 AM
+1 on the Aqua Puss. A lot of guys with an ear for tone like that for slap back. Brian Setzer uses the old Roland Space Echo, so the RE-20 might be a better choice for a bit more money. The Aqua Puss is a simple 300 ms analog delay, with bright, percussive echoes. The RE20 is a digital emulation of a multihead tape delay with a built in reverb. You have tone controls on the echoes, and an always on preamp. Some like this, particularly if you want to be authentic to the Space Echo, but it does always affect your tone.

sanhozay
12-09-2013, 05:53 AM
how much money are you interested in spending?

i score el capistan as the best delay simu available

the new catalinbread belle epoch is considered outstanding. i have a friend that uses one. it sounded great.

the empress tape delay, also wonderful sounding.

i LOVE deluxe memory mans. those are around $350++ used.

carbon copy is a sweet little pedal, too.

i personally like a little modulation because i think that slight edgy warble adds even more realistic characteristics to emulating a delayed tape sound.

the aqua puss is a good pedal, too. but i prefer the others.

jordane93
12-09-2013, 05:57 AM
another vote for the aqua puss for slapback

lefort_1
12-09-2013, 06:46 AM
If you're really after Scotty Moore's sound, then try your best to 'emulate' how he did it.
The any slapback on the very first Elvis recordings was done by Sam Philips bouncing sound between two Ampex tape machines. From '55 to the mid-60's, the slapback was done with a Ray Butts EchoSonic amp (the same thing Chet Atkins used, live). I don't know for a fact, but I'd bet it was a single playback head (this is my ears talking, listening to old recordings). For reverb, I believe they used a plate bitd, but I have no idea how Sun studios was really set up then.

So, I'd set up with a single-repeat delay...something crisp and tape-like. Add to that a tiny bit of plate reverb, or maybe a very very very short room reverb. The Sun setups were very minimalist, so "lush" is not an option.

Rockerduck
12-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Scotty Moore uses a DD-3. I've played 60's music for many yrs., since the 60's, and I've used Echoplex, Unixvox tape echo, Roland space echo, Boss pedals dd3,dd5,dd6, and dd7, Aqua Puss, carbon copy, plus more than I remember. They can all do it. You need to learn the style first.

HillbillySims
12-09-2013, 07:45 AM
MEGA cheap.. but the best one I've tried is the Rocktron Short-timer. It just sounds fantastic

Funky Monkey
12-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Yet another vote for the Aqua Puss.

meterman
12-09-2013, 09:20 AM
funny I was just messing around with some slapback settings on my El Capistan Saturday, sounds awesome and very authentic, you can even add some reverb...probably overkill just for slapback but if you want a generally great tape sim the El Cap is hard to beat.

moosewayne
12-09-2013, 09:28 AM
I think the EQD Dispatch Master is perfect for rockabilly.
Slapback with just a touch of reverb dialed in in seconds.

tommc
12-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Mooer Ana Echo - inexpensive, simple and tiny; worth a look. Works for me for slapback.

0xeneye
12-09-2013, 10:28 AM
+1 aqua puss for slapback

OOG
12-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Brian Setzer used a DM 2 with the Stray Cats
it worked quite well

THiwaTT
12-09-2013, 12:28 PM
I absolutely love my Retro-Sonic Analog Delay - it definitely does the DM-2 slapback thing very well, but the 800ms delay time, and the tone knob make it much more than a one trick pony.

I often times run mine with the tone knob all the way down and the mix set low to do faux doubling

tommygunn1986
12-09-2013, 01:17 PM
My vote is for Carbon Copy. It's cheap, analog, and warm. The internal trim pot controls the amount of warble in modulation mode. Pull up a video or audio clip of an actual tape delay, then adjust the internal trim pot until it's as close as you can get it. That's what I did and I'm extremely satisfied.

Dharmajester
12-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Owned an El Cap for a long time and my favourite setting was multi head slapback. There's something very 50's sounding about a 2 head slap, to my ancient ears anyhow.
Need to try an Echorec next to see how that sounds in this context...

ruger9
12-10-2013, 04:25 AM
FWIW, anyone looking for a "percussive" slapback should definitely look into the Ibanez Echo Shifter. Most percussive I've ever played. Sometimes I wonder if it's TOO percussive.

LOTS of good options for rockabilly slapback, but very few pedals do the Sun Records verb+echo thing.... I find reverb pedals with a "pre-delay" setting do this well. Also, the WET Reverb, for some reason, also does this well... I was surprised- the first time I plugged it in I thought "Sun Records".

Billy Idle
12-10-2013, 05:42 AM
The Aqua Puss is great for slapback.
THIS !

mwittoesch
12-10-2013, 06:22 AM
Danelectro BLT. Can't beat it for the price.

lobsterinmotion
12-10-2013, 06:24 AM
As others have stated, Aqua Puss is probably the best there is for plain slapback.

Or slabpack?! :D

ruger9
12-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Danelectro BLT. Can't beat it for the price.

While I agree it's a great little slapback pedal- I have grown to like my slapbacks a little longer than that pedal provides (for the OP: the BLT does not have an adjustable delay time, it's permanently set for what Danelectro thinks is the most usable slapback delay time.)

DaveKS
12-10-2013, 07:00 AM
VFE blueprint perfect for this. About 2 minutes in video hits some rockabilly/surf licks.
youtu.be/twaNn5l7fX0

Modulation controls essential for this style and also has a internal trim so you can adjust brightness of delay. Level boost also a useful extra feature.

melodiusthunk
12-10-2013, 10:06 AM
The Maxon AD9 Pro is what I use for this.

dayn
12-10-2013, 10:08 AM
My Lush Puppy is a reverb pedal with an additional footswitchable slap back delay built in - sounds nice!

Niblos
02-18-2014, 05:30 PM
"Scotty Moore uses a DD-3. I've played 60's music for many yrs., since the 60's, and I've used Echoplex, Unixvox tape echo, Roland space echo, Boss pedals dd3,dd5,dd6, and dd7, Aqua Puss, carbon copy, plus more than I remember. They can all do it. You need to learn the style first."

Wow - now that's about the best suggestion I have heard!