PDA

View Full Version : Best pedal for Gary Moore tones

jspax7
03-07-2006, 11:46 PM
What's the most authentic sounding Marshall style OD pedal for Gary Moore type tones?

I'll be running this into a Fuchs ODS 30, for those occasions where I need a "scorched earth" tone.

jezzzz2003
03-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Well my friend...
Gary used a JTM-45, Marshall Guvnor pedal and a 56 les paul on still got the blues.....

Metallica once asked Gary how he got that tone, he replied....
Put that amp modeller down and get a Marshall!!

Just goes to show that sometimes simpler is better,
Tone is also in the players hands.

Gary and Jeff Beck have also recently been using DSL-100w amps on tour
which really suprises me because we all know these amps are no boutique
showpony nor do thet sound as good as their earlier counterparts...

You cant tell me they sound bad playing through them though.:MMM
Each to their own I guess..

Realfi
03-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Well my friend...
Gary used a JTM-45, Marshall Guvnor pedal and a 56 les paul on still got the blues.....

Just goes to show that sometimes simpler is better,
Tone is also in the players hands.

Gary and Jeff Beck have also recently been using DSL-100w amps on tour
which really suprises me because we all know these amps are no boutique
showpony nor do thet sound as good as their earlier counterparts...

You cant tell me they sound bad playing through them though.:MMM
Each to their own I guess..

It doesn't surprise me to hear that Gary and Jeff Beck are playing through such readily available amps.

I remember years ago reading an interview with original Chris Isaak guitarisk Jimmy Wilsey where he was saying that he'd deliberately got used to playing through silver face twins because he knew that if something happened to his, he could rent one in pretty much any city in the world.

I guess when you have to stand in front of thousands every night the last thing you want is to have to use something unfamiliar.

rewog
03-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Dytone Smoozy:-
http://www.dytone.de/Smoozy.htm

EL35
03-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Well my friend...

Huh, now that's funny. I always thought Gary has used a POD for some of the later records of him... at least a POD is clearly pictured on one of his album covers...
:horse
Gary has had quite some different tones throughout his career... which one are you're trying to get?

Cary Chilton
03-08-2006, 07:06 AM
True stuff, about 10-15 percent of pleasing tone,overall, is in the hands and roll off or tone controls.

rewog
03-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Gary has had quite some different tones throughout his career... which one are you're trying to get?

The Smoozy nails his "Still Got The Blues For You" sound - the smooth, long sustaining tone.

el34power
03-08-2006, 07:42 AM
I know for a while he used Gallien Kruger amps. But the Still got the blues tone is one of my favorite Moore tones.

El Jimbo
03-08-2006, 08:16 AM
I thought he meant the tone he got on the BBM album.

jspax7
03-08-2006, 01:24 PM
I thought he meant the tone he got on the BBM album.

The LP tones from the Still Got the Blues album. Oh Pretty Woman has a great cranked Marshall tone. Not quite as gainy as SGTB. I like to hear the character of the tone, rather than just having more OD.

Yeah, Gary has a pick attack like a jackhammer. His hands play a big role.

Looking into the Smoozy. Does it clean up well? How about touch and dynamics? Thanks for the responses.

DGG
07-17-2006, 11:20 AM
I remember years ago reading an interview with original Chris Isaak guitarisk Jimmy Wilsey where he was saying that he'd deliberately got used to playing through silver face twins because he knew that if something happened to his, he could rent one in pretty much any city in the world.

Very true and how amazing is it when you can coax some beautiful sounds out of any of them?

Troy T. Blues
07-17-2006, 12:20 PM
The LP tones from the Still Got the Blues album. Oh Pretty Woman has a great cranked Marshall tone.

I play that song with the band. To get in the Marshally ballpark with a Les Paul and a fairly clean Super Reverb, I use a Menatone Blue Collar. The BC works great on that song for me.

A Crunchbox, Tube Zone or an original Marshall Guv'nor could probably get you in that territory as well, depending. I have only tried the (first version)Crunchbox and the original Guv'nor...But with my setup, the NEW Blue Collar, sounded best to me. I use it for all of my higher gain Blues applications. http://www.menatone.com/menatone_2006/Blue_Collar.html

Sid
07-17-2006, 12:26 PM
the dyntone line seems interesting..how are they priced??:RoCkIn

jlagrassa
07-17-2006, 01:39 PM
I play that song with the band. To get in the Marshally ballpark with a Les Paul and a fairly clean Super Reverb, I use a Menatone Blue Collar. The BC works great on that song for me.

A Crunchbox, Tube Zone or an original Marshall Guv'nor could probably get you in that territory as well, depending. I have only tried the (first version)Crunchbox and the original Guv'nor...But with my setup, the NEW Blue Collar, sounded best to me. I use it for all of my higher gain Blues applications. http://www.menatone.com/menatone_2006/Blue_Collar.html

Hi Troy, I just ordered the newest Tube Zone and actually learning Still got the blues with my band i will chime back when I get my pedal tomorrw!

Troy T. Blues
07-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Hi Troy, I just ordered the newest Tube Zone and actually learning Still got the blues with my band i will chime back when I get my pedal tomorrw!

Hi John!

Very cool....I actually used to do Still Got The Blues with my band and people loved it, but man it sounded way too empty without the keyboards!

Definitely give us a report on that Tube Zone. The new revised one sounds like a winner. I listened to the sound clips, which I think are from the new one and it sounds GREAT! It's one that I've been interested in for a while.

jlagrassa
07-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi John!

Very cool....I actually used to do Still Got The Blues with my band and people loved it, but man it sounded way too empty without the keyboards!

Definitely give us a report on that Tube Zone. The new revised one sounds like a winner. I listened to the sound clips, which I think are from the new one and it sounds GREAT! It's one that I've been interested in for a while.

Cool, yeah the other guitar player in my band also plays keyboards and learned most of the string section, definitely makes a difference in that tune