PDA

View Full Version : The Edge demonstrating his guitar rig

Brpaddler
01-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Did a search on the forum, but I still havenīt found what I was looking for, so I decided to post it, someone may find it interesting:

U2 fan here, the band was a big part of my life, if you donīt like them, thatīs cool, itīs a taste thing.

I stumbled upon this videos of The Edge demonstrating his rig. With a rig that big and complex, you must have your tech close by all the time, and even he gets confused. (2/2 - 4:45)

4gpe5cAkIo0

TpVOPWLgKg4

knuckle
01-10-2014, 10:16 AM
People always bash Edge and I don't think that's right. He's got a very good handle on using technology for the sound of the band. So the guy is not Steve Vai, but his playing certainly fits the style of music.

That said, I'd lose my mind with all that equipment. I saw U2 on the tour where they had that heart shaped stage. Can't remember. But sound wise, it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I have one of their DVD's, the amount of production that goes into a U2 show is mind boggling.

backtoblue
01-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Brave man for posting a U2-related thread ;)

They're my favorite band and The Edge is a huge inspiration for me. Innovative effects use aside, I like the fact that he could do guitar acrobatics if he wanted to - he certainly has the technical prowess - but he chooses to not just play the guitar, but to play SONGS.

P.S. EDIT

but I still havenīt found what I was looking for

Very "punny" ;)

knuckle
01-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Brave man for posting a U2-related thread ;)

They're my favorite band and The Edge is a huge inspiration for me. Innovative effects use aside, I like the fact that he could do guitar acrobatics if he wanted to - he certainly has the technical prowess - but he chooses to not just play the guitar, but to play SONGS.

That's what perplexes me about TGP, and I suppose every other guitar forum. Everyone is into the technical ability of the guitarist. I listen to songs, not guitar solos. A 30 second or so guitar solo is fine. But I want to hear a tune, rhythm, something that draws me in.

I've grew out of U2. I don't even think they are making music anymore are they? I'm out of the loop.

backtoblue
01-10-2014, 10:42 AM
That's what perplexes me about TGP, and I suppose every other guitar forum. Everyone is into the technical ability of the guitarist. I listen to songs, not guitar solos. A 30 second or so guitar solo is fine. But I want to hear a tune, rhythm, something that draws me in.

I've grew out of U2. I don't even think they are making music anymore are they? I'm out of the loop.

Yeah, I hear you. There are only a handful of guitarists that I'm aware of that aren't just chewing up the song's running time when they play a solo - two of them being David Gilmour and Edge.

U2 are still making music. They have a new disc coming in March. While their music is not as great as it once was, the new stuff is still worth listening to, IMO.

Jon Silberman
01-10-2014, 10:51 AM
The Edge's playing is original and emotive. I'm a huge fan!

Papanate
01-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Dave Evans is all about serving the song - which is why so many
guitarist seem to have a problem with him. (IMO) He displays a
tremendous amount of intelligence burning inside.

I've enjoyed his playing - and many the time I have been startled by
how simple much of the music is when it's broken down. Very clever
and purposeful guy.

VicAjax
01-10-2014, 10:54 AM
"U2 Guitar Tutorials" on YouTube does a really solid job showing how to replicate The Edge's sounds and play tons of U2 songs.

Lewguitar
01-10-2014, 11:01 AM
The Edge is a great musician. Love his tones and his playing. Terrific atmosphere. And what he does is not as easy as some less creative and less original amateur players would have you believe! ;)

crambone
01-10-2014, 11:04 AM
"U2 Guitar Tutorials" on YouTube does a really solid job showing how to replicate The Edge's sounds and play tons of U2 songs.

Yep.

One of the first songs I learned after I got my DD-5 (yay for dotted eighth) was "Where the Streets Have No Name". I was able to jam it after about 10 minutes.

silentbob
01-10-2014, 12:09 PM
People always bash Edge and I don't think that's right. He's got a very good handle on using technology for the sound of the band.
He's not my favorite guitar player by any means but I can't see how anyone could knock him. He has a fantastic sense of melody and plays to fit the song. What amazes me is that he is able to create parts that fits the songs so well with all of those effects. The effects are there in layers but they all serve and enhance the notes that he is playing in service to the song. The effects aren't there to be the centerpiece, merely another tool in his box. The man is a musical genius to be able to do what he does.

Pedro58
01-10-2014, 12:17 PM
When I was younger and insecure about my playing and a complete a-hole... I bagged on the Edge. Made fun of his name, and so on... Now, I think he kicks major ass. Wonderful player.

Cal Webway
01-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Yrs ago in GP mag I think, the artist interviewed (can't recall) said the Edge was to 'electronic' rock/pop guitar innovation-wise
what Chuck Berry was to rock gtr.

i.e., he will be know as the Chuck Berry of electronic guitar as time and history go by.

I agree

Brpaddler
01-10-2014, 02:54 PM
When I bought the Cd/DVD How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, there is a song on the DVD that Bono composed for his late father. The song is very emotional, but since I'm not a native English speaker, I was listening closely to the melody, and it was an amazing experience: Bono's tone of voice immediately took me back to my teen years and brought back great memories! And Edge is just a player with a unique voice, instantly recognizable that composes great songs. For me, there isn't one U2 release to date where I didn't like at least a couple of songs.

I saw them live 2 times, one I think was the Elevation tour, the other was the 360. Both are I'm my memory as two of the best concerts I saw to date, 360 is just technically and visually mind blowing.

Pietro
01-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Old videos, but I like them.

U2 is my favorite band. Although Edge isn't my favorite guitarist, I still love what he does.

SIX STRING ZOMBIE
01-10-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm not the biggest U2 fan, but I certainly appreciate what the Edge does. He's an original, does his own thing and does it his way. I greatly respect that. Even if I don't care much for certain U2 songs, I usually always really like what he's doing in it with guitar. That said, I can't really get into anything past Unforgettable Fire (which I think is a fantastic album, if not their best). From what I've seen/read in interviews he seems like a very grounded, down to earth, humble guy....which helps balance out and negate some of that ultra ego from that guy in the big sunglasses. ;)

CC Overdrive
01-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Edge has such an ear for the tone that fits the song. That's a skill when tackling the rig of pedals/effects he uses. So many memorable songs and each one with a different uniquely crafted tone.

Best part is is that the "I plug straight into my amp, why can't you" guitar>cable>amp crowd usually can't touch this stuff