PDA

View Full Version : Best value for money monitor speakers!

IndieHead
03-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Hi,

anyone has any best value monitor speakers to recommend?

I was looking at the behringer monitor speakers and they were
really cheap. Anyone has used them before?

Please advise. Cheers.

DualRectifier
03-11-2006, 08:53 AM
It depends on how much you care about sound. Behringer products are made to be "affordable", and not so much for audiophiles.

I a/b'd many monitors when shopping, including Behringers. I ended up getting a pair of Event TR8s...and I love em. The only ones that sounded better were the Mackie 824s, which are king daddy monitors, and priced accordingly. The Events were about $500 for the pair...very reasonable.

Stevo57
03-11-2006, 09:44 AM
I would be interested in any opinions of powered monitors in the under $500 for a pair price range. My studio is on the small side.

elambo
03-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi,

anyone has any best value monitor speakers to recommend?

I was looking at the behringer monitor speakers and they were
really cheap. Anyone has used them before?

Please advise. Cheers.

I'd advise against the Behringer monitors. Save yourself the headache (literally).

roygbiv
03-11-2006, 01:46 PM
KRK Rokits.

Aldwyn
03-12-2006, 05:37 PM
I just bought a set of KRK RP-8s a few weeks ago, and have been very happy with them. You may want to look into them, as well as the RP-6 and RP-5s.

Peace,
Aldwyn

covert
03-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Monitors are probably the most personal things in the small studio. Opinions from others are likely to be close to useless, as are specs. Just look at the variety of opinions on the classic NS-10. Listen to some, it's worth a drive to a place where you can. Try to get beyond what you like, and into what you can or can't hear. Expect to have your opinions shift over time. At some level you can eventually learn to work on any sytem, by making comparisons outside, and adjusting back, or other tricks.

elambo
03-13-2006, 11:31 AM
You're absolutely right Covert - it's very personal. Monitors are the point at which you can actually realize the music (everything else is just electricity and ones and zeros) and there's room for interpretation at that point. We have to have complete trust that our monitors are revealing the truth about what's really in the music or it may not play well on other speakers.

And that's why NS-10s have been argued about so much. There are two groups - those who realize NS-10s aren't translating perfectly, but perfectly average enough to be a great representative of MOST speakers, then there are the people who try to mix on NS-10s as if they're supposed to be revealing everything about the music. The first group always loves them, the second typically hates them.

Aldwyn
03-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Sounds like the old argument about the Alesis Monitor Ones!

G'OlPeachPhan
03-14-2006, 08:59 AM
I use the Wharfedale 8.2a monitors... You can learn a ton about these over at http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/

A lot of guys over there talk about them as their 'secret weapon' -OR- 'the best monitors you can buy for under $1,000.

My mixes greatly improved when I switched to the Wharfedale's from a pair of KRK RP5's (Rokit 5), in that they translate to a much wider variety of playback gear after using them as my only monitoring source... With the Rokit 5's I had to adjust my mix for those, then compensate my mix according to playback on my home stereo, truck stereo, and Sony MDR-7506 cans to get a mix that translated really well to a variety of sources. Granted it's always a good idea to monitor your mixes through a variety of different playback equipment and environments, I've found that even if I ONLY use the Wharfedale's, my mixes still translate really well in most cases.

I don't think you can find a better monitor for the money, period. I bought mine from a guy that sells them over at the home recording bbs... I think I paid $300 brand new... This was a couple years ago.

LSchefman
03-14-2006, 09:49 AM
>>Expect to have your opinions shift over time. At some level you can eventually learn to work on any sytem<<

Exactly.

The room where the monitors are placed matters a great deal as well.

Unless you're working in a very well designed space, there will be room modes, etc.

For example, I have a large control room with a ceiling that is about 6 inches lower than average. No matter how I've treated it, the distance between the floor and ceiling simply cause a mode that affects the bass response of the system.

I've found that monitors with smaller woofers - say 6-7" instead of 8-10" - simply cause fewer problems in my room. This after living for long periods with Genelec 1031As, B&W 801s, etc.

I can't explain why this happened, it's entirely possible that smaller systems tend to have lower clean SPLs, so I listen at lower volumes and closer to the speakers, which tends to reduce the effect of room modes, but I can say that my mixes on smaller monitors simply translate quite a bit better in my room.

This has proven true with several sets of smaller monitors, including B&W 805s, Genelecs with 6" woofers, Dynaudio BM5s, etc.

Therefore, my strongest advice is to get your monitors from a place where you can try them for a day or two and return them if they cause problems in your room.

In my experience in the biz, no monitors will work equally well in all rooms. And even highly regarded monitors are not a good value if they don't work in your room.

melondaoust
03-14-2006, 09:54 AM
I just bought a set of KRK RP-8s a few weeks ago, and have been very happy with them. You may want to look into them, as well as the RP-6 and RP-5s.

Peace,
Aldwyn

I got a set of RP-5s for Xmas. Love 'em! Great reference monitors.