PDA

View Full Version : Hamer Guitars - Triple Threat Custom

sws1
01-29-2014, 04:44 PM
Is Hamer still in business? I saw reference to them shutting down, but their website still works.

Anyway, anyone see many Triple Threat Customs around? Do they trade hands? Are they now hard to find?

Mine is here, but just wondering if there is any more interest in these.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/sws1/tt2.jpg

jads57
01-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Played one some years ago at Dave's Guitar LaCrosse,Wi. Very nice instrument w/ a slightly larger profile 59 shape neck from my memory. There was also some Redwood topped versions of these as well. Beautiful!

treeofpain
01-29-2014, 06:21 PM
I have played a few of them. Nice guitars, but they apparently couldn't compete with PRS and other higher-end manufacturers. Fender bought them and shut down the imports, then the regular USA production. The facility is now a custom shop for mainly other Fender-owned brands, but the last I heard, you could still custom-order a Hamer if you were willing to pay the price.

sws1
01-30-2014, 05:29 AM
Played one some years ago at Dave's Guitar LaCrosse,Wi. Very nice instrument w/ a slightly larger profile 59 shape neck from my memory. There was also some Redwood topped versions of these as well. Beautiful!

Yes - '59 neck. 17 degree headstock like a LP, Brazilian fretboard, Tonepros bridge. And AAAAA grade top with '59 burst coloring.

Wonder how many were made. And where they all are now.

Average Joe
01-30-2014, 06:02 AM
I have played a few of them. Nice guitars, but they apparently couldn't compete with PRS and other higher-end manufacturers. Fender bought them and shut down the imports, then the regular USA production. The facility is now a custom shop for mainly other Fender-owned brands, but the last I heard, you could still custom-order a Hamer if you were willing to pay the price.

I think they competed just fine on quality, but hamer flat out sucked at advertising and pushing their products.

As for the OP: That is quite a stunner. What makes it a Triple Treat Custom rather than a regular production model

sixesandsevens
01-30-2014, 06:43 AM
About the triple threat model...

http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=custompop11&keepThis=true&

neastguy
01-30-2014, 06:56 AM
every hamer I've picked up has felt like a custom shop.. all the way down to the special..

treeofpain
01-30-2014, 07:04 AM
I think they competed just fine on quality, but hamer flat out sucked at advertising and pushing their products.

As for the OP: That is quite a stunner. What makes it a Triple Treat Custom rather than a regular production model

Yes, I agree that their products match up just fine. I was referring to Hamer not being able to compete as a company, which is much more than the product.

custom53
01-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Yes, Hamer is out of business.. Or Fender, their parent company at the time, stopped production of Hamer Guitars..

jimpridx
01-30-2014, 08:36 AM
Is Hamer still in business? I saw reference to them shutting down, but their website still works.

Anyway, anyone see many Triple Threat Customs around? Do they trade hands? Are they now hard to find?

Mine is here, but just wondering if there is any more interest in these.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/sws1/tt2.jpg

Nice guitar! I'd hang on to that one! You don't see many of these for sale these days, and those that are up for sale are quite expensive in comparison to the standard run of Studio Customs.

Kurt L
01-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Nice guitar! I'd hang on to that one! You don't see many of these for sale these days, and those that are up for sale are quite expensive in comparison to the standard run of Studio Customs.

I've got 3 Studio Customs (2 with humbuckers and 1 with P-90s) that are all fantastic. Never had my hands on a Triple Threat but I can't imagine they'd be anything less than spectacular.

As you said, with the price tag to match.

jimpridx
01-30-2014, 01:22 PM
I've got 3 Studio Customs (2 with humbuckers and 1 with P-90s) that are all fantastic. Never had my hands on a Triple Threat but I can't imagine they'd be anything less than spectacular.

As you said, with the price tag to match.

Yeah, I have a pair of humbucker-equipped Studio Customs myself, and they're fabulous instruments! They're keepers for sure! Never played a Triple Threat, either.

Tim Plains
01-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Great looking top.

bigjim
01-03-2015, 11:58 AM
My 3T.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv185/Northside_Jimmy/3T_zpsaeb8a20e.jpg (http://s682.photobucket.com/user/Northside_Jimmy/media/3T_zpsaeb8a20e.jpg.html)

sixesandsevens
01-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Show off. ;)

How do you like it compared to a regular custom?

django49
01-03-2015, 12:10 PM
There were 30 made. At one point I had two of them. I kept the one that I liked best. With upgraded pickups, I consider it the best sounding of the several dozen Hamers I either have or had.

You would be wise to hang on to it, IMHO.

custom53
01-03-2015, 01:00 PM
Hamer USA is no longer in business.. As of February 2013.. Thanks to Fender Musical Instruments Corporation who bought them in 2009 from Kaman Music Corporation who purchased them in 1988..

Yes, You better hang onto that one.. I still own a couple that aren't going anywhere..

73Fender
01-03-2015, 01:18 PM
One of these may be out of reach but I'd be very happy with a Studio Custom one day. Just got my first Newport and am smitten with all things Hamer right now

sws1
01-03-2015, 01:21 PM
There were 30 made. At one point I had two of them. I kept the one that I liked best. With upgraded pickups, I consider it the best sounding of the several dozen Hamers I either have or had. You would be wise to hang on to it, IMHO.

What pups did you put in yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

bigjim
01-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Show off. ;)

How do you like it compared to a regular custom?

The 3T is all about the neck, which I love. Starts with a nice handful at the 1st fret, then (this is the magic) grows massively/unknowingly by the 12th. It's a masterpiece in a Stradivarian sort of way (only 30 made). Totally unique in feel, as if made by a master-craftsman....which it is.

Yamaha 1421
01-03-2015, 04:30 PM
I own 2 Black Hamer Sunbursts both from 1979 and they are superb guitars. Hamer is done,they are not producing any more Hamers........... "Custom" ordered or not. I also played a "Triple Threat" at Dave's..........great guitar,big profile neck thats more "GIBBY" than most other Hamers. Although one could argue the basic Hamer designs all had their beginnings with Gibsons.There had been one on Ebay forever as its had a high asking price...........not for what it is but more than the market will bear.

sixesandsevens
01-03-2015, 06:32 PM
The 3T is all about the neck, which I love. Starts with a nice handful at the 1st fret, then (this is the magic) grows massively/unknowingly by the 12th. It's a masterpiece in a Stradivarian sort of way (only 30 made). Totally unique in feel, as if made by a master-craftsman....which it is.

Nice!

I wonder if Mike Shishkov would do the neck profile like that on his new models...

73Fender
01-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Nice!

I wonder if Mike Shishkov would do the neck profile like that on his new models...
Interesting story there. Been watching his first builds. Any mention of other body shapes yet?

cmatthes
01-03-2015, 09:48 PM
That will all come later - he's got his hands full right now with the limited run, but definitely stay tuned!