PDA

View Full Version : Hamer Guitars - Triple Threat Custom

sws1
01-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Is Hamer still in business? I saw reference to them shutting down, but their website still works.

Anyway, anyone see many Triple Threat Customs around? Do they trade hands? Are they now hard to find?

Mine is here, but just wondering if there is any more interest in these.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/sws1/tt2.jpg

jads57
01-29-2014, 05:17 PM
Played one some years ago at Dave's Guitar LaCrosse,Wi. Very nice instrument w/ a slightly larger profile 59 shape neck from my memory. There was also some Redwood topped versions of these as well. Beautiful!

treeofpain
01-29-2014, 05:21 PM
I have played a few of them. Nice guitars, but they apparently couldn't compete with PRS and other higher-end manufacturers. Fender bought them and shut down the imports, then the regular USA production. The facility is now a custom shop for mainly other Fender-owned brands, but the last I heard, you could still custom-order a Hamer if you were willing to pay the price.

sws1
01-30-2014, 04:29 AM
Played one some years ago at Dave's Guitar LaCrosse,Wi. Very nice instrument w/ a slightly larger profile 59 shape neck from my memory. There was also some Redwood topped versions of these as well. Beautiful!

Yes - '59 neck. 17 degree headstock like a LP, Brazilian fretboard, Tonepros bridge. And AAAAA grade top with '59 burst coloring.

Wonder how many were made. And where they all are now.

Average Joe
01-30-2014, 05:02 AM
I have played a few of them. Nice guitars, but they apparently couldn't compete with PRS and other higher-end manufacturers. Fender bought them and shut down the imports, then the regular USA production. The facility is now a custom shop for mainly other Fender-owned brands, but the last I heard, you could still custom-order a Hamer if you were willing to pay the price.

I think they competed just fine on quality, but hamer flat out sucked at advertising and pushing their products.

As for the OP: That is quite a stunner. What makes it a Triple Treat Custom rather than a regular production model

sixesandsevens
01-30-2014, 05:43 AM
About the triple threat model...

http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=custompop11&keepThis=true&

neastguy
01-30-2014, 05:56 AM
every hamer I've picked up has felt like a custom shop.. all the way down to the special..

treeofpain
01-30-2014, 06:04 AM
I think they competed just fine on quality, but hamer flat out sucked at advertising and pushing their products.

As for the OP: That is quite a stunner. What makes it a Triple Treat Custom rather than a regular production model

Yes, I agree that their products match up just fine. I was referring to Hamer not being able to compete as a company, which is much more than the product.

custom53
01-30-2014, 07:26 AM
Yes, Hamer is out of business.. Or Fender, their parent company at the time, stopped production of Hamer Guitars..

jimpridx
01-30-2014, 07:36 AM
Is Hamer still in business? I saw reference to them shutting down, but their website still works.

Anyway, anyone see many Triple Threat Customs around? Do they trade hands? Are they now hard to find?

Mine is here, but just wondering if there is any more interest in these.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/sws1/tt2.jpg

Nice guitar! I'd hang on to that one! You don't see many of these for sale these days, and those that are up for sale are quite expensive in comparison to the standard run of Studio Customs.

Kurt L
01-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Nice guitar! I'd hang on to that one! You don't see many of these for sale these days, and those that are up for sale are quite expensive in comparison to the standard run of Studio Customs.

I've got 3 Studio Customs (2 with humbuckers and 1 with P-90s) that are all fantastic. Never had my hands on a Triple Threat but I can't imagine they'd be anything less than spectacular.

As you said, with the price tag to match.

jimpridx
01-30-2014, 12:22 PM
I've got 3 Studio Customs (2 with humbuckers and 1 with P-90s) that are all fantastic. Never had my hands on a Triple Threat but I can't imagine they'd be anything less than spectacular.

As you said, with the price tag to match.

Yeah, I have a pair of humbucker-equipped Studio Customs myself, and they're fabulous instruments! They're keepers for sure! Never played a Triple Threat, either.

Tim Plains
01-30-2014, 12:30 PM
Great looking top.